Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beans Soaking Chart

I haven't gone through the entire site but thought others would like to see
it.

http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html

I liked having the information for a majority of the beans contained on "one
page."

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:29:22 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>I haven't gone through the entire site but thought others would like to see
>it.
>
>http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html
>
>I liked having the information for a majority of the beans contained on "one
>page."

Which one of those beans is used in southern style "red beans" and
rice?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in message
>>http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html

[snip]
> Which one of those beans is used in southern style "red beans" and
> rice?

I'm guessing "Red Beans" with the description of, "Used in traditional
Southern cooking, and often combined with rice. Also compliments the flavor
and color of corn pasta, either plain and simple or hot and spicy."

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:29:22 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>
>> I haven't gone through the entire site but thought others would like to see
>> it.
>>
>> http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html
>>
>> I liked having the information for a majority of the beans contained on "one
>> page."
>>

> Which one of those beans is used in southern style "red beans" and
> rice?

I don't know about the whole south but around this part the red beans
are red kidney beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> I haven't gone through the entire site but thought others would like to see
> it.
>
> http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html
>
> I liked having the information for a majority of the beans contained on "one
> page."
>
> The Ranger

Thank you, Ranger. It's very handy. I saved a copy

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:06:22 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>sf > wrote in message
.. .
>>>http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html
>>>

>[snip]
>> Which one of those beans is used in southern style "red beans" and
>> rice?

>I'm guessing "Red Beans" with the description of, "Used in traditional
>Southern cooking, and often combined with rice. Also compliments the flavor
>and color of corn pasta, either plain and simple or hot and spicy."

Ah, thanks... for some reason, my eyes skipped right over that one. I
can't recall ever seeing a red bean sold as simply "red bean". Have
you seen them? I've seen Adzuki and kidney. That's it. I could
probably find small red beans if I looked carefully in
mexican/hispanic markets.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
>I haven't gone through the entire site but thought others would like to see
>it.
>
> http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html
>
> I liked having the information for a majority of the beans contained on
> "one page."
>
> The Ranger

Cool,

Thanks - added to the Favorites under food.

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-15, The Ranger > wrote:

> I liked having the information for a majority of the beans contained on "one
> page."

Thanks, but I don't need "one page". I never soak beans.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:06:22 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>>sf > wrote in message
. ..

>>[snip]
>>> Which one of those beans is used in southern style "red beans" and
>>> rice?

>> I'm guessing "Red Beans" with the description of, "Used in traditional
>> Southern cooking, and often combined with rice. Also compliments
>> the flavor and color of corn pasta, either plain and simple or hot and
>> spicy."
>>

> Ah, thanks... for some reason, my eyes skipped right over that one. I
> can't recall ever seeing a red bean sold as simply "red bean". Have
> you seen them? I've seen Adzuki and kidney. That's it. I could
> probably find small red beans if I looked carefully in
> mexican/hispanic markets.

I've found them at Gene's Fine Food, Whole Paycheck, and Cosentino's but
like them mixed in with other beans. I'd bet Molly, Andronico's, Draeger's,
and others sell them. Safeway might have them, too, but I've pretty much
stopped shopping there. Don't know about Lucky/Albertson's; don't shop there
at all.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:15:06 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>I've found them at Gene's Fine Food, Whole Paycheck, and Cosentino's but
>like them mixed in with other beans. I'd bet Molly, Andronico's, Draeger's,
>and others sell them. Safeway might have them, too, but I've pretty much
>stopped shopping there. Don't know about Lucky/Albertson's; don't shop there
>at all.

Thanks!

I'm still a Safeway girl and Lucky's is just a couple of blocks away
from where I work so that's pretty convenient for me too. There is a
Molly Stone a couple of miles away from where I live, I'll look in
there but it's pretty small so I doubt I'll find any at that
particular location. Andronico's and Draegers involve real
transportation time for me; so finding small red beans there won't be
worth the cost of gas.

Mae West

Soaking beans? In most cases, you don't need to Travis McGee General Cooking 29 21-10-2014 06:48 PM
Soaking Northern Beans Kathy Johnson General Cooking 26 15-06-2013 03:50 AM
Soaking Brown Beans Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen General Cooking 8 23-03-2006 11:18 PM
Soaking Beans M Jones General Cooking 15 04-02-2005 02:34 PM
Soaking beans? Erica General Cooking 37 25-09-2004 10:42 AM