Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soaking Northern Beans

What is the fastest way to soak beans and the best ham and bean soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathy Johnson wrote:

>What is the fastest way to soak beans

In hot water.

>and the best ham and bean soup.

Depends entirely on ones personal taste... I think smoked ham hocks
make for better bean soup than ham.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2013 9:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Kathy Johnson wrote:
>>
>> What is the fastest way to soak beans

> In hot water.

Yep. And read the directions on the back of the package of beans.
Quick soak.

>> and the best ham and bean soup.

> Depends entirely on ones personal taste... I think smoked ham hocks
> make for better bean soup than ham.

I agree. Smoked ham hocks are very good for bean soup. Again, the OP
should read directions and suggestions on the back of the bag of beans.
I've never met a bag of beans that didn't have that information right
on the package.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathy Johnson" > wrote in message
> What is the fastest way to soak beans and the best ham and bean soup.

Overnight, twelve hours minimum. Just a little planning ahead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/06/2013 9:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> and the best ham and bean soup.

> Depends entirely on ones personal taste... I think smoked ham hocks
> make for better bean soup than ham.

When I make pea soup I used smoked ham hocks. Before I used smoked ham
hocks it was always disappointing. When I use them the soup is always good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathy Johnson" > wrote in message
> What is the fastest way to soak beans and the best ham and bean soup.

I don't do ham and bean soup because I dislike ham but I do the quick soak
method for my beans.

Wash and sort. Put the beans in a pot, cover with water and add at least 2"
more water. Bring to a boil, let boil for a minute, turn off the heat and
let sit for an hour. Some sources say to cover the beans. I don't find
that necessary.

If you want to do the "overnight method", then just wash and sort, cover
with the same amount of water and let sit for up to 8 hours. You don't want
to soak for much longer than that because they could start to ferment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/12/2013 9:43 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Kathy Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the fastest way to soak beans

>> In hot water.
>>

> Yep. And read the directions on the back of the package of beans. Quick
> soak.
>
>>> and the best ham and bean soup.

>> Depends entirely on ones personal taste... I think smoked ham hocks
>> make for better bean soup than ham.
>>

> I agree. Smoked ham hocks are very good for bean soup. Again, the OP
> should read directions and suggestions on the back of the bag of beans.
> I've never met a bag of beans that didn't have that information right on
> the package.

Perhaps she bought them bulk?

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Johnson View Post
What is the fastest way to soak beans and the best ham and bean soup.
Recipe Bean Soup: Overnight soak is about the best strategy I have heard for dry Navy or Great Northern beans. If really pressed for time a person can bring them to a boil..put on the lid..turn off the heat and let them set an hour and then start cooking again. I have heard many good reports on the bean soup recipe in the link. Its supposedly served in the US Senate so it bound to be good if the sleazy politicians like it.

Senate Bean Soup Recipe - White Bean Soup Recipe - U.S. Senate Bean Soup
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 12, 6:14*pm, (Kathy Johnson) wrote:
> What is the fastest way to soak beans and the best ham and bean soup.

Here is my all time best and favorite bean soup recipe. Beats the
pants off the Senate bean soup recipe.

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...navy-bean-soup
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:36:08 AM UTC-4, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jun 12, 6:14*pm, (Kathy Johnson) wrote:
>
> > What is the fastest way to soak beans and the best ham and bean soup.

> Here is my all time best and favorite bean soup recipe. Beats the
>
> pants off the Senate bean soup recipe.
>

> http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...navy-bean-soup

I'm going to try this - I can see where the veggies can make a big difference. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:49:41 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I've never met a bag of beans that didn't have that information right
> on the package.

There's always the possibility she's buying in bulk, but sometimes the
bulk bins have a preparation suggestion/recipe on them... it depends
on where you shop. AFAIC, those multi-bean mixes make the best soup
when you're using a ham hock/leftover bone - but she was asking about
a single bean (navy) soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 6:14*pm, (Kathy Johnson) wrote:
> What is the fastest way to soak beans and the best ham and bean soup.

Ask Mr. Google
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 13, 8:05*am, Kalmia > wrote:
..

> I'm going to try this - I can see where the veggies can make a big difference. *Thanks.

Let me know how you like it.

We sold tons of it at the restaurant, it was a customer favorite. I
even got a letter from a law firm in Seattle, one of their negotiators
would come to
Bellingham on a regular basis for some legal stuff and he always came
for lunch for the navy bean soup and cornbread. He said
it was the highlight of his trips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-13, jmcquown > wrote:

>> Kathy Johnson wrote:

>>> What is the fastest way to soak beans

Only a hack soaks dry beans. Not only unnecessary, but makes for
tough skins, cuz the pulp has soaked, absorbing much water and cooks
quickly, before the skins have a chance to properly soften.

> I agree. Smoked ham hocks are very good for bean soup.

Ham shanks have more meat, but hocks have more flavor. Choose
accordingly. White/butter beans and split pea, I use hocks. Cajun
beans w/ lotta spice, shanks.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote in
:

> Kathy Johnson wrote:
>>
>>What is the fastest way to soak beans

> In hot water.
>
>>and the best ham and bean soup.

> Depends entirely on ones personal taste... I think smoked ham hocks
> make for better bean soup than ham.

And I think smoked turkey is even better. Much less waste as I don't eat
the pig skin. I use wings. In fact, that's my planned meal for tomorrow.
The beans go into the fridge to soak beginning this afternoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2013 11:45 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:49:41 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I've never met a bag of beans that didn't have that information right
>> on the package.

> There's always the possibility she's buying in bulk, but sometimes the
> bulk bins have a preparation suggestion/recipe on them... it depends
> on where you shop. AFAIC, those multi-bean mixes make the best soup
> when you're using a ham hock/leftover bone - but she was asking about
> a single bean (navy) soup.

True about the bulk bin thing; I've never had that option. But hey, the
OP could always look at a bag of beans, too, right? I make navy bean
soup at least once a year (with a smoked ham hock if I can find one,
otherwise just a hock or even salt pork). I do the quick soak method
and it works just fine.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:19:46 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/13/2013 11:45 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:49:41 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've never met a bag of beans that didn't have that information right
>>> on the package.

>> There's always the possibility she's buying in bulk, but sometimes the
>> bulk bins have a preparation suggestion/recipe on them... it depends
>> on where you shop. AFAIC, those multi-bean mixes make the best soup
>> when you're using a ham hock/leftover bone - but she was asking about
>> a single bean (navy) soup.
>>

>True about the bulk bin thing; I've never had that option. But hey, the
>OP could always look at a bag of beans, too, right?

There are also many web sites where one can find that information.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 6/13/2013 11:45 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:49:41 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I've never met a bag of beans that didn't have that information right
> >> on the package.

> > There's always the possibility she's buying in bulk, but sometimes the
> > bulk bins have a preparation suggestion/recipe on them... it depends
> > on where you shop. AFAIC, those multi-bean mixes make the best soup
> > when you're using a ham hock/leftover bone - but she was asking about
> > a single bean (navy) soup.
> >

> True about the bulk bin thing; I've never had that option. But hey, the
> OP could always look at a bag of beans, too, right? I make navy bean
> soup at least once a year (with a smoked ham hock if I can find one,
> otherwise just a hock or even salt pork). I do the quick soak method
> and it works just fine.

There's always the wide world of the internet, but perhaps she was
asking about favorite recipes and chose the wrong wording. It's
webtv, she probably won't be back anyway - so we're just wasting our
breath.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2013 11:45 AM, sf wrote:
> when you're using a ham hock/leftover bone - but she was asking about
> a single bean (navy) soup.

Wait, not Navy beans, Northern beans. You set me off thinking Navy bean
soup. For the record, I've used both. And I soak and cook them pretty
much the same way.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:27:00 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 6/13/2013 11:45 AM, sf wrote:
> > when you're using a ham hock/leftover bone - but she was asking about
> > a single bean (navy) soup.

> Wait, not Navy beans, Northern beans. You set me off thinking Navy bean
> soup. For the record, I've used both. And I soak and cook them pretty
> much the same way.

Sorry, my bad. In any case - it doesn't matter. She won't be back.
Looking at my bean recipes, I found one I'd filed away and never
used... maybe I'll try it this weekend. So many recipes, so few meals
to use them!

White Beans with Onion Confit
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/w...h-onion-confit

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:49:41 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I've never met a bag of beans that didn't have that information right
>> on the package.

> There's always the possibility she's buying in bulk, but sometimes the
> bulk bins have a preparation suggestion/recipe on them... it depends
> on where you shop. AFAIC, those multi-bean mixes make the best soup
> when you're using a ham hock/leftover bone - but she was asking about
> a single bean (navy) soup.

Actually, Navy beans are small. She was asking about Northern which I
assume is Great Northern and they are bigger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:09:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:49:41 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I've never met a bag of beans that didn't have that information right
> >> on the package.

> > There's always the possibility she's buying in bulk, but sometimes the
> > bulk bins have a preparation suggestion/recipe on them... it depends
> > on where you shop. AFAIC, those multi-bean mixes make the best soup
> > when you're using a ham hock/leftover bone - but she was asking about
> > a single bean (navy) soup.

> Actually, Navy beans are small. She was asking about Northern which I
> assume is Great Northern and they are bigger.

I know the difference between them, but I wrote the one *I* prefer,
not the one she asked about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mags, I don't remember if I ever mentioned it but my daughter Wendy
used to work at Hizzhoners while in college. She used to bring me
leftover soup on occasion. Loved the bean...also ate there for a week
while on jury duty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 13, 6:57*pm, (Momma Raider) wrote:
> Mags, *I don't remember if I ever mentioned it but my daughter Wendy
> used to work at Hizzhoners while in college. *She used to bring me
> leftover soup on occasion. *Loved the bean...also ate there for a week
> while on jury duty!

No kidding! What years did she work there? When were you on jury
duty?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mags, Daughter graduated from Western in '94 so she worked at Hizzoners
in the late 80's. She really liked it and I loved it when she'd bring
me some soup tho I don't think she was supposed to! Why did you close?
Could always tell when a jury was on lunch break as they would all zip
over to eat. BTW, did you get to see the cabbage at the Farmers Market
that my friend designed? Regards....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 14, 6:55*pm, (Momma Raider) wrote:
> Mags, *Daughter graduated from Western in '94 so she worked at Hizzoners
> in the late 80's. *She really liked it and I loved it when she'd bring
> me some soup tho I don't think she was supposed to! *Why did you close?
> Could always tell when a jury was on lunch break as they would all zip
> over to eat. *BTW, did you get to see the cabbage at the Farmers Market
> that my friend designed? *Regards....

I took over Hizzoner's in 94. The closing is a long story, suffice
to say I was screwed over by two landlords.
And yes, I saw the beet at the Farmers Market. It's a beet, not a
cabbage. It's cool.

We fed a ton of jury members, a ton.

Soaking beans? In most cases, you don't need to Travis McGee General Cooking 29 21-10-2014 06:48 PM
Beans Soaking Chart The Ranger[_7_] General Cooking 9 16-03-2009 03:49 AM
Soaking Brown Beans Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen General Cooking 8 23-03-2006 11:18 PM
Soaking Beans M Jones General Cooking 15 04-02-2005 02:34 PM
Soaking beans? Erica General Cooking 37 25-09-2004 10:42 AM