Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude Jude is offline

Default Soaking Brown Beans

Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:
> Yesterday early beofre noon I realized that I had forgotten to soak
> brown beans overnight so they soaked for 7 hours before I cooked them.
> I've haerd it is not just for tenderness but for extracting poison. Is 7
> hours enough? My girlfirend had pain (retractions) in the interstines
> later in the evening. We are thinking it is the beans.

Do you know how to quick-soak? Most bean packages give directions for
it. You bring the beans and soaking water to a boil for 2 minutes, then
turn them off. Allow them to stand for an hour and voila! they're
soaked! Rinse them and cook happily!

I like this method better than the overnight soak anyways, and I;ve
never had any problems with eating the beans that way.

Never heard anything about poison in beans, though.