Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Proofing Baking Powder

Since I use it so seldom, I have the better part of a can of baking
powder in the fridge that reached its expiration date a while ago.

Is there a way of proofing it the way you proof yeast by adding it to
warm water? Maybe adding a little to an acid, such as vinegar or lemon
juice to see if it bubbles?

I like to experiment.

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Chuckle)
I know the difference between baking powder and soda. HONEST!

My mother didn't store baking powder in the fridge, either. Since I
knew I wouldn't use it often when I bought it, I thought it would last
longer in the refrigerator. (After all, yeast is sold out of the
refrigerated case of the grocery store).

Now, if you know of an old fashioned recipe for cornbread I can make in
an old cast-iron frying pan I would be most grateful. (Dairy's okay,
sugar and salt should be avoided),

Thanks : )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I've never heard of storing baking powder in the fridge. Be sure you're
> not mixing up baking powder with baking soda. If you've been using
> baking soda to absorb odors in the refrigerator, throw it out and buy
> new for baking.

I keep mine in the freezer in a canning jar with the lid down tight.
Never gets stinky and only "wore out" once...took about 2 years. Now I
get a new can yearly, to quote a children's book I've been reading a
lot, "no matter what".
blacksalt
p.s., the book is "Tootle"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote in news:dq2dnVrH-7N89kbeRVn-
:

wrote:
> (After all, yeast is sold out of the
>> refrigerated case of the grocery store).

> Is it? I've never seen it there. I've always bought yeast next to the
> flour in the baking needs aisle.

Fresh yeast is refrigerated. Although I've never seen it in my local
supermarket, I believe some supermarkets somewhere carry it <g>. There is a
franchise here called Bakers Delight which sells mainly breads, some sweet
breads, scones (
www.bakersdelight.com.au). There's one of these in the
shopping centre in Penrith, and I can buy fresh yeast from there. This is
something I've just discovered, and have just tried using fresh yeast.
Trouble is, the smallest amount I can buy is more than I'll use in a week
or so. I've read conflicting advice on freezing fresh yeast, so have to
search out more info.
--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dee Randall
> wrote:

> I notice baking powder in the large box and large heavy plastic sack
> containers are always a coarser grind. I still buy the small boxes for
> baking and in the frig, also small boxes for use as an under-arm deodorant
> (which I've used since 1985; I followed the suggestion of a Hawaiian years
> ago and have been using it since. Beats the heck out of deodorant; but the
> coarse kind is a killer to tender underarms.
> Dee Dee

Is it not difficult to keep your arms down? Especially in warm weather?