Default what do baking soda and baking powder do in cooking?

Hi,

I have occassionally followed recipes that needed either baking soda
and/or baking powder and I was wondering what their actual functions
were in cooking or baking?

Thanks,
Ben

aem

> Hi,
>
> I have occassionally followed recipes that needed either baking soda
> and/or baking powder and I was wondering what their actual functions
> were in cooking or baking?

They are called "leavening agents." They cause batters and doughs to
rise, but to a lesser degree and in a less complicated way than yeast.
Copy and paste this site into your browser for a quick description:

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index....uickBreads.cfm

Note that "quick breads" include more than what you may think of as
bread. Pancakes, for example. -aem

Dimitri

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have occassionally followed recipes that needed either baking soda
> and/or baking powder and I was wondering what their actual functions
> were in cooking or baking?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

The make carbon dioxide which will cause the baked goods to rise.

Dimitri