Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Default Sunday's Menu

The Ranger wrote:
> I'm hosting a gathering of the Clan Ranger tonight and thought the
> following would be easy enough while helping those on "Lite"
> diets.
>
> Baked chicken breast in orange sauce and cinnamon
> (Bone-in, skin on)

i'd suggest a teeny bit of cardamom or anise in there

> Roasted carrots, Yukons, garlic, and acorn squash

since the main course is sweet, I would keep the veg plain or
pungent/spicy/slightly bitter.

> Green salad with balsamic vinegar
>
> I've had a request for white rice (my personal albatross) as well
> but am shying away from that.

I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps tremedously
with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"sarah bennett" > wrote in message

I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
> rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
> tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
electric rice cooker

O awaiting the shouts of dirision

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>
> I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
> > rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
> > tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
> electric rice cooker
>
> O awaiting the shouts of dirision

Sound like a good idea to me. My Chinese friends have one which may be
a hint that it is a good idea.

Another way to tackle rice is the standard 2 to 2 water - rice ratio,
put it in covered dish and bake it.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ophelia wrote:
>> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>>
>> I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
>> > rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
>> > tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

>> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
>> electric rice cooker
>>
>> O awaiting the shouts of dirision

> Sound like a good idea to me. My Chinese friends have one which may be
> a hint that it is a good idea.

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Ophelia wrote on 15 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>
> I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
> > rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
> > tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
> electric rice cooker
>
> O awaiting the shouts of dirision

I find my small auto rice maker quite a nice handy lttle unit.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Ophelia wrote:

> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>
> I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
>> rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
>> tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
> electric rice cooker
>
> O awaiting the shouts of dirision

I make so much rice and could never make it on the stove top either. I got the
rice cooker, A National, and there hasn't been a problem since. It's one of
the appliances that never leaves the counter because I use it so often.

I'm having a sushi party later this month and that thing will be
indespensible.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote on 15 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

>> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>>
>> I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
>> > rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
>> > tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

>> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
>> electric rice cooker
>>
>> O awaiting the shouts of dirision
>>

> I find my small auto rice maker quite a nice handy lttle unit.

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>>
>> I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
>>> rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
>>> tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

>> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
>> electric rice cooker
>>
>> O awaiting the shouts of dirision
>>

> I make so much rice and could never make it on the stove top either. I
> got the
> rice cooker, A National, and there hasn't been a problem since. It's
> one of
> the appliances that never leaves the counter because I use it so
> often.
>
> I'm having a sushi party later this month and that thing will be
> indespensible.

I am feeling much better about mine now)) I was sure I would be
derided)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Ophelia wrote:

>> I make so much rice and could never make it on the stove top either. I
>> got the
>> rice cooker, A National, and there hasn't been a problem since. It's
>> one of
>> the appliances that never leaves the counter because I use it so
>> often.
>>
>> I'm having a sushi party later this month and that thing will be
>> indespensible.

> I am feeling much better about mine now)) I was sure I would be
> derided)

oh pffft. You're using a tool that allows you greater success than your other
options. Anyone who derides you probably also spends too much time in
alt.binaries.live.nude.davidhasselhoff to understand the real world!

I've had mine since 1997 and the only thing I've noticed is that over the
years I've had to slightly increase the water to rice ratio. Other than that,
the thing works like a charm

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 15 Jan 2006 09:30:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>
> I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
>> rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
>> tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
> electric rice cooker
>
> O awaiting the shouts of dirision

Lots of folks prefer using a rice cooker. Being the small appliance and
gadget junkie that I am, I would certainly own one, too, but we don't eat
enough rice to justify it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

The Bubbo wrote on 15 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> I make so much rice and could never make it on the stove top
> >> either. I got the
> >> rice cooker, A National, and there hasn't been a problem since.
> >> It's one of
> >> the appliances that never leaves the counter because I use it so
> >> often.
> >>
> >> I'm having a sushi party later this month and that thing will be
> >> indespensible.

> > I am feeling much better about mine now)) I was sure I would be
> > derided)
> >

> oh pffft. You're using a tool that allows you greater success than
> your other options. Anyone who derides you probably also spends too
> much time in alt.binaries.live.nude.davidhasselhoff to understand the
> real world!
>
> I've had mine since 1997 and the only thing I've noticed is that over
> the years I've had to slightly increase the water to rice ratio. Other
> than that, the thing works like a charm

I used to be able to cook rice in the microwave...But that was when there
were 4 of us...now there's just me and also with a different microwave. I
made basmati rice most nights for supper. But that was in the early 90's.
Now I'm outa practice. Hence the rice cooker.

It's like most things you do repeatedly after a while you don't need to
measure or anything, you just know. Well since the new nuker and the
smaller quanities, I just didn't know anymore. And it was a pain to make
3 or 4 batches of rice so's 1 batch would be eatible. Hence the rice
maker. Plus I rarely eat rice anymore...low carbing and diabetic
reasons...Sure I'll cheat and eat say 1/2 cup of cooked rice now and
then, usually when dining out. So to get 1/2 cup cooked rice you need to
cook less than 1/4 cup raw rice, that is possible in my rice cooker but
not so likely in the nuker.

I like my rice buttered...How do you like your rice?

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> I make so much rice and could never make it on the stove top either.
>>> got the
>>> rice cooker, A National, and there hasn't been a problem since. It's
>>> one of
>>> the appliances that never leaves the counter because I use it so
>>> often.
>>>
>>> I'm having a sushi party later this month and that thing will be
>>> indespensible.

>> I am feeling much better about mine now)) I was sure I would be
>> derided)
>>

> oh pffft. You're using a tool that allows you greater success than
> your other
> options. Anyone who derides you probably also spends too much time in
> alt.binaries.live.nude.davidhasselhoff to understand the real world!

<G>

> I've had mine since 1997 and the only thing I've noticed is that over
> the
> years I've had to slightly increase the water to rice ratio. Other
> than that,
> the thing works like a charm

Oh yes I have to do that too)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> The Bubbo wrote on 15 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

>> > I am feeling much better about mine now)) I was sure I would be
>> > derided)
>> >

>> oh pffft. You're using a tool that allows you greater success than
>> your other options. Anyone who derides you probably also spends too
>> much time in alt.binaries.live.nude.davidhasselhoff to understand the
>> real world!
>>
>> I've had mine since 1997 and the only thing I've noticed is that over
>> the years I've had to slightly increase the water to rice ratio.
>> Other
>> than that, the thing works like a charm
>>

> I used to be able to cook rice in the microwave...But that was when
> there
> were 4 of us...now there's just me and also with a different
> microwave. I
> made basmati rice most nights for supper. But that was in the early
> 90's.
> Now I'm outa practice. Hence the rice cooker.
>
> It's like most things you do repeatedly after a while you don't need
> measure or anything, you just know. Well since the new nuker and the
> smaller quanities, I just didn't know anymore. And it was a pain to
> make
> 3 or 4 batches of rice so's 1 batch would be eatible. Hence the rice
> maker. Plus I rarely eat rice anymore...low carbing and diabetic
> reasons...Sure I'll cheat and eat say 1/2 cup of cooked rice now and
> then, usually when dining out. So to get 1/2 cup cooked rice you need
> cook less than 1/4 cup raw rice, that is possible in my rice cooker
> but
> not so likely in the nuker.
>

> I like my rice buttered...How do you like your rice?

I like to make mine with chicken stock and peas

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 15 Jan 2006 09:30:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> Ophelia?
>

>> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>>
>> I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
>>> rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
>>> tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

>> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
>> electric rice cooker
>>
>> O awaiting the shouts of dirision

> Lots of folks prefer using a rice cooker. Being the small appliance
> and
> gadget junkie that I am, I would certainly own one, too, but we don't
> eat
> enough rice to justify it.

Well we eat very little but I can always justify a new small
appliance)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
k...

> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>
> I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
>> rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps tremedously
>> with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an electric
> rice cooker
>
> O awaiting the shouts of dirision

No shouts here. I used to have one, becuase I used to be terrible at making
rice. SOmewhere along the way, I figured it out and gave the rice cooker
away.

Now, mashed potatoes are the bane of my culinary existence. Can't make
decent ones to save my life. If only they had a small appliance for that!
:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Ophelia" > said:
> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message

> > I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
> > rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
> > tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

> I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
> electric rice cooker
>
> O awaiting the shouts of dirision

Not from me, I have one too. As for dinner tonight, we're going out.
It's my birthday today...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope

Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>Chris wrote:

>> Now, mashed potatoes are the bane of my culinary existence. Can't make
>> decent ones to save my life. If only they had a small appliance for that!

>Actually, somebody makes one. I recently received a spate of catalogs;
>I can't remember if I saw it in Brylane Home or JC Penney Kitchen.

I've never had any trouble using first a large fork, then a hand-held
electric mixer. To make them smoother I include one or more of:
milk, buttermilk, melted butter or goat butter, yogurt, and/or
olive oil. But I'm sure there's some standard I'm falling
short of with this approach.

If it's just me and sweetie eating, we don't bother with the mixer --
slightly lumpy potatoes are just fine.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Tony P. wrote on 15 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> says...

wrote on 15 Jan 2006 in
> > rec.food.cooking

> > > Sound like a good idea to me. My Chinese friends have one which
> > > may be a hint that it is a good idea.
> > >
> > > Another way to tackle rice is the standard 2 to 2 water - rice
> > > ratio, put it in covered dish and bake it.
> > > John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
> > >

> > When serving large groups ....cooked white rice can be purchased
> > cheap at a chinese restaurant.
> >

> Why would you do that? I'd just fill up my pot with 8 cups of water
> and 4 cups of rice.
>
> That'd get you a bit less than12 cups of rice when all was said and
> done. The bit less is because some of the fluid is lost as steam.

because when feeding large groups burners are at a premium and that would
free one up.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 15 Jan 2006 11:50:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it projectile
vomit chick?

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:14:28 -0800, in rec.food.cooking, The Ranger
> > hit the crackpipe and declared:
>>I'm hosting a gathering of the Clan Ranger tonight and thought the
>>following would be easy enough while helping those on "Lite" diets.
>>
>>Baked chicken breast in orange sauce and cinnamon
>>(Bone-in, skin on)
>>
>>Roasted carrots, Yukons, garlic, and acorn squash
>>
>>Green salad with balsamic vinegar
>>
>>I've had a request for white rice (my personal albatross) as well
>>but am shying away from that.
>>
>>Other ideas? Variations?
>>
>>Many thanks!
>>
>>The Ranger

> Thank you for not mentioning the pretentiously named living-abortions
> and the "SWMBO"...and for keeping it beneath
> 438743947283947302473847234782374234783247092 paragraphs....

Amen to that, PVC!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 06:50:37 GMT, projectile vomit chick
> gagged:
[snip of rambling spew]
> Thank you...

Your membership is still in arrears.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

Default Potatoes was Sunday's Menu

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Chris wrote:

> Now, mashed potatoes are the bane of my culinary existence. Can't make
> decent ones to save my life. If only they had a small appliance for that!
> :-)

There are a couple of tricks to mashed potatoes (stirred with a tool
called a
potato masher, leaving hunks of potatoes in the mix) and creamed potatoes
("whipped potatoes" to the Yankees <VBG> and beaten with a mixer until
smooth and fluffy).

Use red-skinned ("boiling") potatoes only (no white, baking potatoes, no
yukon golds, etc).

Peel them, cut them in chunks (a small potato about the size of a golf
ball should be halved. cut larger potatoes so that the finished chunks
are about the size of these halves. Size here is very important. Too small
and you have potato soup; too large and you have potato salad makings.
Once you get used to making them, the larger size hunks won't be much of a
problem. It's only a problem until you get the feel for the cooking time)

Put the potato chunks in a pot with enough room to totally cover the
potatoes and then some (It's like cooking macaroni, pasta, or dry beans.
The potatoes don't "swell" but you've got to have a good bit of water.
Like with macaroni and other pastas, you'll be pouring the excess water
and starch down the drain.)

Put the potatoes in a cold pot and cover with cold water. Turn your burner
on "HI" heat and bring the pot to a boil. Turn down heat to a gently
rolling boil (about Med Hi). Boil uncovered. [here's why plenty of water.
You don't want to have to add more water, but if you do, add HOT water,
kick the heat back up to HI in order to bring to a boil in a hurry and
then turn heat back down. (the deal here is that you don't want your
potatoes to "soak" and soak up a lot of excess water).

Cooking them perfectly "done" is a major trick. This will just take some
practice. This is why all the chunks should be as close as possible to the
same size (so they will all be "done" at the same time).

"perfectly done" will be the consistency of a perfect baked potato.
{sorry}

It takes about 20 minutes to cook potatoes (in the perfect "chunk" size),
but that will give you a guideline.

When a chunk can be speared with a fork, lifted out of the pot, placed on
a hard surface (like a plate), and gentle pressure of the tines of the
fork against the chunk will cause it to mash into a fluffy,
baked-potato-like consistency, it is done.

Not-quite-done: the chunk won't lift out of the pot without breaking (or
it feels like you are spearing an apple)

Too-done: the chunk dissolves when speared or it comes out of the pot only
to collapse in a starchy pile when mashed.

If you "cream" (which is what we do here in the South) the "too done", you
will have something akin to wall paper paste.

If youcream the "not-quite-done", you will have something akin to chunky
peanut butter.

On both accounts, boo,hiss.

Until you get the hang of it, you might want to drain in a colander.
Remove as much water as possible.

Work quickly. Potatoes cool off rapidly (again with the boo, hiss).
Creaming takes only a couple of minutes, so everything else on the menu
should be headed to the table.

Toss potatoes in a mixing bowl, add a big hunk of butter and a few
tablespoons of milk, S&P to taste, mix on low until the potatoes are
crushed. Turn mixer up. They should fluff - much like egg whites or
whipping cream. Scrape the bottom and sides of bowl. If they are a little
dry, add a touch more milk (or cream or half and half). If they are too
wet, you are screwed.

While the bowl is turning, stick a teaspoon into the potatoes. They should
mound in the spoon in a fluffy pile. Stick spoon in mouth. They should
taste fluffy and buttery. You should automatically say, "ooooh"

Share with others or keep all for yourself. <g>

Just a little practice will have you turning out super creamed potatoes in
no time.

Good luck

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

> One time on Usenet, "Ophelia" > said:
> > "sarah bennett" > wrote in message

> > > I find that cooking the rice as if it were a pilaf (i.e. cooking the
> > > rice and oil together and then adding hot water/stock) helps
> > > tremedously with cooking white rice (esp. aromatic ones)

> > I am rubbish at cooking rice so much so that I bought myself an
> > electric rice cooker
> >
> > O awaiting the shouts of dirision

tee hee hee. Not from me. I say, "whatever makes your life easier".

I don't have a rice cooker. We don't eat enough rice for me to store
another appliance under the counter <g>.

'Round here (Southern US), we do eat white rice (with lots of butter and
sugar [and NO, I don't want to hear it <g>]) for breakfast as a hot cereal
with a side of pan toast. But we don't use the degree of dryness that rice
cookers produce.

And it's popular with chicken, but potatoes are usually a first choice
(the "old folks" grew potatoes, but rice had to be purchased).

We cook it in a pot on the stove, like one would cook macaroni or other
pasta or dry beans, etc. If there is excess water, we drain it off. If the
water content is such that the rice starch thickens the mix (which is the
way we use it as cereal), we just dish it up. If we want it to be indy
grains and fluffy, we toss it in a colander and rinse the starch off with
hot water.

I just put the rice in a cold pot and cover with cold water (enough to
cover the puffed up rice and then some). I bring the pot to a rapid boil
and then turn down the heat to a gentle boil. I cook it about 20 minutes.

If I want to put a top on the pot to contain the amount of evaporation, I
use less water. Stir frequently.

If I am not going to use a top, I generally add a little more water for
the evaporation. Stir frequently.

I no longer do the "place on pot lid, don't open until done, steam it in a
little water" because that burns a coat of rice on the bottom of my pan
and I can get the same results rinsing the rice. Just don't over cook or
like macaroni and other pasta and potatoes and dry beans, it gets soggy
and mushy.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Steve Pope wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> >Chris wrote:

> >> Now, mashed potatoes are the bane of my culinary existence. Can't make
> >> decent ones to save my life. If only they had a small appliance for that!

> >Actually, somebody makes one. I recently received a spate of catalogs;
> >I can't remember if I saw it in Brylane Home or JC Penney Kitchen.

> I've never had any trouble using first a large fork, then a hand-held
> electric mixer. To make them smoother I include one or more of:
> milk, buttermilk, melted butter or goat butter, yogurt, and/or
> olive oil. But I'm sure there's some standard I'm falling
> short of with this approach.
>
> If it's just me and sweetie eating, we don't bother with the mixer --
> slightly lumpy potatoes are just fine.
>
> Steve

Slightly lumpy potatoes???? Sacrilege! Pure Sacrilege! 50 lashes with a
wet noodle! <VBG>

Elaine, too

Football Sunday menu Ricavito Diabetic 3 14-12-2009 06:46 AM
Football Sunday Menu RobinB. General Cooking 44 01-11-2004 06:08 PM
Sunday Dinner's Super Bowl Sunday Menu (6) Collection Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2004 04:30 AM
Sunday Dinner's Super Bowl Sunday Menu Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-01-2004 05:40 PM