S'mee

Default Sides Suggestion?

I've got some homemade stuffed green peppers in the freezer and am
going to bake them for dinner tomorrow. Anyone got a suggestion for
a good side dish? I'd rather not have potatoes, as we're doing
mashed spuds with gravy the next night (with fried pork chops, yum!).

I'm thinking fried zucchini, but I'm interested in your ideas...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Dimitri

"S'mee" > wrote in message
> I've got some homemade stuffed green peppers in the freezer and am
> going to bake them for dinner tomorrow. Anyone got a suggestion for
> a good side dish? I'd rather not have potatoes, as we're doing
> mashed spuds with gravy the next night (with fried pork chops, yum!).
>
> I'm thinking fried zucchini, but I'm interested in your ideas...

Don't need any, especially fried.

Are the peppers stuffed with beef, rice and sauce? Then if it's warm where you
are have a salad with some crusty bread - If it is cold then have a hearty soup
or French Onion soup (don't forget the crusty bread).

Dimitri

S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Dimitri" > said:
> "S'mee" > wrote in message

> > I've got some homemade stuffed green peppers in the freezer and am
> > going to bake them for dinner tomorrow. Anyone got a suggestion for
> > a good side dish? I'd rather not have potatoes, as we're doing
> > mashed spuds with gravy the next night (with fried pork chops, yum!).
> >
> > I'm thinking fried zucchini, but I'm interested in your ideas...

> Don't need any, especially fried.

I know, it just sounds so good. :-)

> Are the peppers stuffed with beef, rice and sauce?

Close -- I knew I should have posted the stuffing recipe:

4 large green peppers
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 C. bread crumbs
1/4 C. pickle relish
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C. onion, chopped OR 2 T. dried onion
Salt and Pepper
Ketchup

> Then if it's warm where
> you are have a salad with some crusty bread - If it is cold then have a hearty
> soup or French Onion soup (don't forget the crusty bread).

Both fine ideas, thanks Dimitri...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Sheldon

S'mee wrote:
> I've got some homemade stuffed green peppers in the freezer and am
> going to bake them for dinner tomorrow. Anyone got a suggestion for
> a good side dish? I'd rather not have potatoes, as we're doing
> mashed spuds with gravy the next night (with fried pork chops, yum!).
>
> I'm thinking fried zucchini, but I'm interested in your ideas...

Puffed steppers is typically a full meal in of itself, usually contains
the veggie (peppers), meat (some sort of ground), and starch (rice),
and even a sauce. I don't like rice *in* my stuffed peppers, I like a
meat loaf-ish mixture so I usually prepare a side of rice pilaf or egg
noodles. Anyway, you probably don't need any sides, save your appetite
for dessert... a big serving of chocolate pudding... cooked, none of
that fercocktah wussy instant glop... you want the real deal, where you
peel back that skin and enjoy the creamy stuff.

Sheldon

S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Sheldon" > said:

> S'mee wrote:
> > I've got some homemade stuffed green peppers in the freezer and am
> > going to bake them for dinner tomorrow. Anyone got a suggestion for
> > a good side dish? I'd rather not have potatoes, as we're doing
> > mashed spuds with gravy the next night (with fried pork chops, yum!).
> >
> > I'm thinking fried zucchini, but I'm interested in your ideas...

> Puffed steppers is typically a full meal in of itself, usually contains
> the veggie (peppers), meat (some sort of ground), and starch (rice),
> and even a sauce. I don't like rice *in* my stuffed peppers, I like a
> meat loaf-ish mixture so I usually prepare a side of rice pilaf or egg
> noodles. Anyway, you probably don't need any sides, save your appetite
> for dessert... a big serving of chocolate pudding... cooked, none of
> that fercocktah wussy instant glop... you want the real deal, where you
> peel back that skin and enjoy the creamy stuff.

Oooh, I haven't made pudding for a while now, that's a great idea! And
no, I don't use instant (ick). Thanks for the suggestion...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Sheldon

S'mee wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "Sheldon" > said:
> >
> > S'mee wrote:
> > > I've got some homemade stuffed green peppers in the freezer and am
> > > going to bake them for dinner tomorrow. Anyone got a suggestion for
> > > a good side dish? I'd rather not have potatoes, as we're doing
> > > mashed spuds with gravy the next night (with fried pork chops, yum!).
> > >
> > > I'm thinking fried zucchini, but I'm interested in your ideas...

> > Puffed steppers is typically a full meal in of itself, usually contains
> > the veggie (peppers), meat (some sort of ground), and starch (rice),
> > and even a sauce. I don't like rice *in* my stuffed peppers, I like a
> > meat loaf-ish mixture so I usually prepare a side of rice pilaf or egg
> > noodles. Anyway, you probably don't need any sides, save your appetite
> > for dessert... a big serving of chocolate pudding... cooked, none of
> > that fercocktah wussy instant glop... you want the real deal, where you
> > peel back that skin and enjoy the creamy stuff.

> Oooh, I haven't made pudding for a while now, that's a great idea! And
> no, I don't use instant (ick). Thanks for the suggestion...

Make extra. To justify the healthfulness aspect add a layer of banana
slices, and serve with graham cracker spoons. But I like mine au
natural, unmolded inverted on a saucer, and drizzled with evaporated
milk.

And no, I don't like pudding with nuts in it.

Enjoy!

Sheldon

Bob Terwilliger

S'mee wrote:

>> Are the peppers stuffed with beef, rice and sauce?

> Close -- I knew I should have posted the stuffing recipe:
>
> 4 large green peppers
> 1 lb. ground beef
> 1/3 C. bread crumbs
> 1/4 C. pickle relish
> 1 egg, beaten
> 1/2 C. onion, chopped OR 2 T. dried onion
> Salt and Pepper
> Ketchup

So basically you have a meatloaf mixture inside peppers. What do you like
with meatloaf? Here are a few suggestions:

Macaroni & cheese
Mashed potatoes
Peas & mushrooms
Sugar snap peas

Some sort of soup would be nice to start; butternut squash soup with
caramelized onions might be a good choice. Or that split-pea soup with
pepperoni that Carol posts every now and again.

If you can still get good tomatoes, a tomato salad would go well too. There
are myriad directions this can take, but here are two good basic ones:

(1) Chop tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, and red onions. Mix with
yogurt, a bit of sugar, salt, and either dill or toasted cumin seed.

(2) Chop tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil chiffonade, drizzle with extra-virgin
olive oil (one of the few occasions when I *would* use the extra-virgin
stuff), coarse salt, freshly-ground black pepper, and red-wine vinegar.

Bob

2 Sides Of The Holidays Rly Ngry Vegan 0 01-12-2006 11:24 AM
Are the sides of a wok supposed to get hot? Jaclyn Cooking Equipment 14 22-01-2006 08:37 PM
2 Sides Of The Holidays [email protected] Vegan 1 04-12-2005 10:27 PM
2 Sides Of The Holidays Fidyl Vegan 1 04-12-2004 05:04 PM
Quick Sides -L. General Cooking 4 21-01-2004 05:55 AM