Greg

Default What's your favorite chocolate for eating and why ?

What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
name, no problem.

Julia Altshuler

Greg wrote:
> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> name, no problem.

Dolfin. Because the quality is excellent; the flavors are a little
unusual; the cost isn't prohibitive, and they sell it where I work. I
like it best because it tastes the best.

The runner up is Lindt cointreau for all the same reasons except it is a
little sweeter than Dolfin and doesn't seem to be quite the same
quality. On the other hand, it is available more places around here.

But then, I've never sneered at a Hershey's bar. When the craving for
chocolate overtakes me, Hershey's is highly acceptable, and for the
price, I have no complaints.

--Lia, who takes her chocolate seriously

Marc

I second the Hershey's very unusal flavor for milk chocolate. Would love to
know why it's so different.

Marc

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Greg wrote:
> > What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> > consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> > something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> > gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> > might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> > name, no problem.

> Dolfin. Because the quality is excellent; the flavors are a little
> unusual; the cost isn't prohibitive, and they sell it where I work. I
> like it best because it tastes the best.
>

> The runner up is Lindt cointreau for all the same reasons except it is a
> little sweeter than Dolfin and doesn't seem to be quite the same
> quality. On the other hand, it is available more places around here.
>

> But then, I've never sneered at a Hershey's bar. When the craving for
> chocolate overtakes me, Hershey's is highly acceptable, and for the
> price, I have no complaints.
>

> --Lia, who takes her chocolate seriously

Dee Randall

"Greg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> name, no problem.

Droste bittersweet Chocolate Pastilles (Extra Dark (72%)
Dee Dee

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...f%3D1%26sa%3DG

Joseph Littleshoes

Greg wrote:

> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> name, no problem.

Mexican "Abulita" (litlle grandmother) brand chocolate. Ibara is a very
poor Spanish version. A local bakery makes a chocolate decadense that
is very good.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

sf

On 31 Jul 2005 19:21:33 -0700, Greg wrote:

> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> name, no problem.

I don't eat much chocolate, but I like the See's fruit flavored <dark>
truffles on occasion. When I make truffles, I don't mess around...
it's chocolate chocolate always. There will be no namby pamby milk
chocolate for me.
sf

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:40:48 GMT, Dog3 wrote:

> Godiva is good too.

Blech! Nasty stuff. It tastes stale to me. There is a Godiva shop 4
blocks away from my house, so I can say it without any reservation.
When I'm given Godiva, I give it away ASAP.
sf

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 04:32:35 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> A local bakery makes a chocolate decadense that
> is very good.

For those of us in the area who are still looking for a good chocolate
decadence... what's the name of that bakery?

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Greg" > wrote:

> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> name, no problem.

Lindt Lindors or truffles.

Simply because they are sinfully smooth and delicious! :-)

I introduced them to some co-workers and was promptly dubbed "the
chocolate guru".
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Greg wrote:
> > What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> > consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> > something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> > gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> > might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> > name, no problem.

> Dolfin. Because the quality is excellent; the flavors are a little
> unusual; the cost isn't prohibitive, and they sell it where I work. I
> like it best because it tastes the best.
>

> The runner up is Lindt cointreau for all the same reasons except it is a
> little sweeter than Dolfin and doesn't seem to be quite the same
> quality. On the other hand, it is available more places around here.
>

> But then, I've never sneered at a Hershey's bar. When the craving for
> chocolate overtakes me, Hershey's is highly acceptable, and for the
> price, I have no complaints.
>

> --Lia, who takes her chocolate seriously

I prefer "Dove" over "Hershey" and it's also widely available. :-d
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:40:48 GMT, Dog3 wrote:
>
> > Godiva is good too.

> Blech! Nasty stuff. It tastes stale to me. There is a Godiva shop 4
> blocks away from my house, so I can say it without any reservation.
> When I'm given Godiva, I give it away ASAP.

Ah! Good! :-)
Then I'm not the only one that things Godiva is drastically overpriced...

What do you think of Dove?
--
Om.

serene

Greg > wrote:

> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> name, no problem.

I can take chocolate or leave it. *shrug*

serene
Vilco

Mi e' parso che Dee Randall abbia scritto:

> Droste bittersweet Chocolate Pastilles (Extra Dark (72%)
> Dee Dee

So they are international, LOL, I don't eat one since I was a
child.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Vilco

Mi e' parso che OmManiPadmeOmelet abbia scritto:

> Lindt Lindors or truffles.
> Simply because they are sinfully smooth and delicious! :-)

Yess! The best mainstream product.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Margaret Suran

Vilco wrote:
> Mi e' parso che OmManiPadmeOmelet abbia scritto:
>

>>Lindt Lindors or truffles.
>>Simply because they are sinfully smooth and delicious! :-)

> Yess! The best mainstream product.
> --
> Vilco
> Think Pink , Drink Rose'

I seldom eat chocolate, but when I do, I like Guittard's L'Harmonie
64% Bittersweet. It is difficult to find in New York City.

I keep Ghiradelli's Double Chocolate Chips and bars on hand for
baking, but I find it rather sweet for eating.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 01 Aug 2005 04:15:41a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Vilco wrote:
>> Mi e' parso che OmManiPadmeOmelet abbia scritto:
>>

>>>Lindt Lindors or truffles.
>>>Simply because they are sinfully smooth and delicious! :-)

>> Yess! The best mainstream product.
>> --
>> Vilco
>> Think Pink , Drink Rose'
>>

> I seldom eat chocolate, but when I do, I like Guittard's L'Harmonie
> 64% Bittersweet. It is difficult to find in New York City.
>
> I keep Ghiradelli's Double Chocolate Chips and bars on hand for
> baking, but I find it rather sweet for eating.

I used to love going to the little chocolate shope in the Plaza Hotel.
They had a ownderful variety of European chocolates, as well as a variety
of different European truffles flown in fresh. It was almost as much fun
picking them out as eating them.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 8/1/2005 5:08:09 AM

Margaret Suran

Wayne Boatwright wrote:.

> I used to love going to the little chocolate shope in the Plaza Hotel.
> They had a ownderful variety of European chocolates, as well as a variety
> of different European truffles flown in fresh. It was almost as much fun
> picking them out as eating them.

It is easy to find European Chocolates, but Guittard, an American
chocolate maker is not well represented in NYC. If not for Alex Rast,
I would not even have known about these chocolates

I loved going to Rumpelmayer's at the St. Moritz Hotel with my
children. It was a wonderful Tearoom and Konditorei and had Steiff
stuffed animals for sale, besides the pastries and chocolates. I
don't even remember when it closed.

Another great place for chocolates was Altmann & Kuehne on Fifth
Avenue, probably opened here by Austrian Hitler refugees. It is long
gone, but the one in Vienna is still going strongly.
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Mon 01 Aug 2005 04:15:41a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> Vilco wrote:

>>> Yess! The best mainstream product.
>>> --
>>> Vilco
>>> Think Pink , Drink Rose'
>>>

>> I seldom eat chocolate, but when I do, I like Guittard's L'Harmonie
>> 64% Bittersweet. It is difficult to find in New York City.
>>
>> I keep Ghiradelli's Double Chocolate Chips and bars on hand for
>> baking, but I find it rather sweet for eating.

> I used to love going to the little chocolate shope in the Plaza Hotel.
> They had a ownderful variety of European chocolates, as well as a variety
> of different European truffles flown in fresh. It was almost as much fun
> picking them out as eating them.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My memory of the best truffles I've ever had. At the Candy Jar in San
Francisco. (They do not mail these truffles.) Not cheap. But DH brought
home a box of candy for my birthday, about half were these were what I call
'fresh' truffles and the other half were the 'tempered-type chocolate
covered truffle). Not knowing the cost of these, I was ravaging all these
fresh-type deep chocolate truffles as fast as I could while taking a bite
out of the other kind, then giving them to my Akita standing by. (I've since
learned that chocolate is not good for dogs, but I don't think it hurt her a
bit, she was a chocaholic.) For several years I visited the Candy Jar in San
Francisco before we moved east. I have my chocolate blocks on hand, ready
to make some soon, starting out with the Giradelli chocolate I got at TJ's.
(I've already made some with Scharffenberger, but they were a bit
fruity-tasting for my buds.)
Dee Dee

Dee Randall

"Vilco" > wrote in message
> Mi e' parso che Dee Randall abbia scritto:
>
>> Droste bittersweet Chocolate Pastilles (Extra Dark (72%)
>> Dee Dee

> So they are international, LOL, I don't eat one since I was a child.
> --
> Vilco
> Think Pink , Drink Rose'

I find them sometimes at Big Lots for $1. They seem fresh, not bloomed.
They have been here in the US many years.
When you say that you don't eat once since you were a child, is there a
reason?
Dee Dee

Zywicki

Marc (N_O-S_P_A_M) wrote:
> I second the Hershey's very unusal flavor for milk chocolate. Would love to
> know why it's so different.
>
> Marc

Sour milk, supposedly. Not sour in an unhealthy sense, just a sour
flavor.

Greg Zywicki
My favorite is the brown kind. It tastes the most chocolatey.

Vilco

Mi e' parso che Dee Randall abbia scritto:

> When you say that you don't eat once since you were a
> child, is there a reason?

Yes: as a boy, I was the only one who liked them, all my
relatives didn't, so they were seldomly around.
Then, since I'm not a big chocolate fan, I didn't crave them nor
did crave other chocolates. Maybe I'll give 'em a try these days,
if I find some.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 01 Aug 2005 06:06:42a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:.
>>

>> I used to love going to the little chocolate shope in the Plaza Hotel.
>> They had a ownderful variety of European chocolates, as well as a
>> variety of different European truffles flown in fresh. It was almost
>> as much fun picking them out as eating them.
>>

> It is easy to find European Chocolates, but Guittard, an American
> chocolate maker is not well represented in NYC. If not for Alex Rast,
> I would not even have known about these chocolates

Perhaps easier in other cities. I could find Guittard at several
locations when I lived in Cleveland, and two of our upscale supermarkets
here in Phoenix.

> I loved going to Rumpelmayer's at the St. Moritz Hotel with my
> children. It was a wonderful Tearoom and Konditorei and had Steiff
> stuffed animals for sale, besides the pastries and chocolates. I
> don't even remember when it closed.

I remember Rumpelmayer's with great fondness. We would always stop there
for breakfast on the morning of Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and at
other times in the summer we would sit at the soda fountain and have a
sundae.

I have to admit that I bought a Steiff bear there for myself. :-)

I believe tha last time I was there was in 1996.

> Another great place for chocolates was Altmann & Kuehne on Fifth
> Avenue, probably opened here by Austrian Hitler refugees. It is long
> gone, but the one in Vienna is still going strongly.

I don't believe I ever saw that shop.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Goro

Greg wrote:
> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> name, no problem.

We have a Callebaut store here in Scottsdale, AZ. I llike that very
much.

ALso, i go to chocosphere (http://chocosphere.com/)
Michel Cluizel and Valor are the ones I've enjoyed from there.

And if I'm in the need for a chocolate hit like no other, i have a shot
of CHocolate Vitale:
http://chocolatvitale.com/store.html

-goro-

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 01 Aug 2005 08:46:20a, Goro wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Greg wrote:
>> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
>> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
>> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
>> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
>> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
>> name, no problem.

> We have a Callebaut store here in Scottsdale, AZ. I llike that very
> much.

ooh, ooh, where is it? I will have to make a pilgrimage from AJ!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Goro

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 01 Aug 2005 08:46:20a, Goro wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Greg wrote:
> >> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> >> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> >> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> >> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> >> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> >> name, no problem.

> > We have a Callebaut store here in Scottsdale, AZ. I llike that very
> > much.

> ooh, ooh, where is it? I will have to make a pilgrimage from AJ!

it's in the Kierland Commons, Scottsdale Rd around Butherus (south of
Frank Lloyd Wright).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3D1521...sdale,+az &s=
pn=3D0.021693,0.029721&hl=3Den

nJoy

-goro-

> > ALso, i go to chocosphere (http://chocosphere.com/)
> > Michel Cluizel and Valor are the ones I've enjoyed from there.
> >
> > And if I'm in the need for a chocolate hit like no other, i have a shot
> > of CHocolate Vitale:
> > http://chocolatvitale.com/store.html
> >
> > -goro-
> >

> --
> Wayne Boatwright *=BF*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Dean G.

I like Valrhona Le Noir Amer 71%. One tiny piece of a bar gives more
chocolate flavor than most others do from a whole bar. Fight the
temptation to chew it up and just let it melt in you mouth.

I also like Perugina's dark chocolates and Pike Place Black Forest
Cherry. They are not quite so intense, but still very good. Both of
these seem to have a more universal appeal than the Le Noir Amer. The
Black Forest bar has other things in it, but it disappears rapidly
whenever I buy it. A small price to pay for happy children.

Locally Graeters (best known for their ice cream) also makes very good
chocolate, which is a very good way to eat their chocolate. Try the
black raspberry chip. They also sell the chocolate in traditional
candies.

None of this stops me from buying all kinds of odd stuff. Jungle Jims
and Word Market both have fairly large chocolate sections. Both also
sell wine, and a good Zinfandel (no, not the white stuff) goes well
with a good chocolate bar. Try Storybook Mountain's Eastern Exposure
(Zinfandel) with your favorite chocolate bar.

Dean G.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 01 Aug 2005 09:25:21a, Goro wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > We have a Callebaut store here in Scottsdale, AZ. I llike that very
>> > much.

>> ooh, ooh, where is it? I will have to make a pilgrimage from AJ!

> it's in the Kierland Commons, Scottsdale Rd around Butherus (south of
> Frank Lloyd Wright).
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?q=15211+...ottsdale,+az&s
> pn=0.021693,0.029721&hl=en
>
> nJoy
>
> -goro-

Many thanks! I know the area.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dee Randall

"Dean G." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I like Valrhona Le Noir Amer 71%. One tiny piece of a bar gives more
> chocolate flavor than most others do from a whole bar. Fight the
> temptation to chew it up and just let it melt in you mouth.
>
> I also like Perugina's dark chocolates and Pike Place Black Forest
> Cherry. They are not quite so intense, but still very good. Both of
> these seem to have a more universal appeal than the Le Noir Amer. The
> Black Forest bar has other things in it, but it disappears rapidly
> whenever I buy it. A small price to pay for happy children.
>
> Locally Graeters (best known for their ice cream) also makes very good
> chocolate, which is a very good way to eat their chocolate. Try the
> black raspberry chip. They also sell the chocolate in traditional
> candies.
>
> None of this stops me from buying all kinds of odd stuff. Jungle Jims
> and Word Market both have fairly large chocolate sections. Both also
> sell wine, and a good Zinfandel (no, not the white stuff) goes well
> with a good chocolate bar. Try Storybook Mountain's Eastern Exposure
> (Zinfandel) with your favorite chocolate bar.
>
> Dean G.

I had forgotten how much I like the Perugina's chocolates. I can only
afford them when they come to Costco around the holidays. Then, they usually
are only of one kind - filled with filberts, as I recall, perhaps there are
others.
Thanks for the information re Valrhona Le Noir Amer 71%, I'll keep an eye
out for it.
Dee Dee

Linda and Ron Audet

My absolute favorite is almost any Belgian chocolate. Neuhaus is probably
the best of the large companies, but we found the very best in several
small, family-run shops in Bruges, where everything is made by hand. The
dark chocolate, especially, is fabulous -- not so dead sweet as most
chocolate sold in the US. It is chocolate for adults rather than for
children.

Of US chocolates, for me nothing matches the cream and caramel filled
chocolates made by Costas in Owatonna, MN. For years we could get them only
through a distant relative of my sister-in-law, who happens to live in
Owatonna. Now, though, the company has a website and the candy is available
through their online catalogue.

Ron
Fredericksburg, VA

Pan Ohco

On 31 Jul 2005 19:21:33 -0700, Greg wrote:

>What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
>consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
>something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
>gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
>might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
>name, no problem.

I like Valrhona, guanaja 70%, manjari 64% for eating and cooking. I
also like the equatorial at 55% when I cook for other people,who might
like a lighter chocolate. For a quick chocofix, perugina dark.

Pan Ohco

Dee Randall

"Pan Ohco" > wrote in message
> On 31 Jul 2005 19:21:33 -0700, Greg wrote:
>
>>What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
>>consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
>>something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
>>gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
>>might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
>>name, no problem.

The best almond toffee I've ever had in my life. (And I've never cared for
almond toffee that much. This is sensational!)
It was a gift from a Christmas party to everyone. I've since sent it as a
gift.
I don't know how anyone could not like this.

http://www.enstrom.com/

Dee Dee

sf

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:49:59 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> What do you think of Dove?

I've only had Dove icecream bars, which I like.

MareCat

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Greg wrote:
>
>> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
>> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
>> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
>> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
>> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
>> name, no problem.

> Mexican "Abulita" (litlle grandmother) brand chocolate. Ibara is a
> very
> poor Spanish version.

Abuelita is my favorite Mexican chocolate. Makes yummy Mexican hot
chocolate.

Other faves are Lindt (especially their 70% cocoa and milk chocolate
raspberry filled bars), Dove dark, Perugina's dark, Fannie May Trinidads
(http://tinyurl.com/c9cyx - my dad's from Chicago, and these are a
childhood fave of mine; of course now I have to order 'em online to get
my fix), and Milky Way dark.

Mary

Doug Freyburger

Greg wrote:

> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> name, no problem.

Pre-low-carb answer:

White chocolate. Because it doesn't have any of that
brown impurity stuff. Just the fancy cocoa butter and
enough sugar to bind it.

Post-low-carb answer:

85% bitter like Lindt brand. Because it's almost entirely
that brown impurity stuff. Extremely little added sugar.

Two completely opposite answers for two different phases.

Margaret Suran

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:49:59 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>

>> What do you think of Dove?

> I've only had Dove icecream bars, which I like.

It is dark chocolate (they now make milk chocolate, too), but it
tastes much too sweet for semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate. It is
made strictly for what they think will sell best and that is something
very sweet. I like the Hershey's Special better and that is not a
very good chocolate.

Dean G.

I listed my preference elsewhere, but remembered seeing this recently :

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/0...hocolate.reut/

Dean G.

Damsel

OmManiPadmeOmelet > said:

> I prefer "Dove" over "Hershey" and it's also widely available. :-d

Since I can rarely afford the better chocolates, I prefer Dove, as well.
It's inexpensive, yet smoooooooooooth. I buy a bar of the dark chocolate
maybe once or twice a year. I never buy the bags of individually wrapped
pieces anymore, though. I went nuts and scarfed down a whole bag once.
Thought I was gonna die. That stuff is *not* for people with high blood
pressure and/or who aren't accustomed to a lot of caffeine.

Carol
Dee Randall

"Dean G." > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I listed my preference elsewhere, but remembered seeing this recently :
>
> http://edition.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/0...hocolate.reut/
>
> Dean G.

Thanks for this article. Re my Giradelli chocolate 70% I bought at TJ's, is
this edible on its own? I'm reading to open some - can't control myself.
Or is this type of chocolate only for sauces, etc.
Dee Dee

Dee Randall

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > said:
>
>> I prefer "Dove" over "Hershey" and it's also widely available. :-d

> Since I can rarely afford the better chocolates, I prefer Dove, as well.
> It's inexpensive, yet smoooooooooooth. I buy a bar of the dark chocolate
> maybe once or twice a year. I never buy the bags of individually wrapped
> pieces anymore, though. I went nuts and scarfed down a whole bag once.
> Thought I was gonna die. That stuff is *not* for people with high blood
> pressure and/or who aren't accustomed to a lot of caffeine.
>
> Carol

Carol, I've found that some dark chocolate in bars do NOT agree with me. I
get really hyper. It is hard for me to control the amount I eat also; that
is probably the main reason they do not agree with me, both stomach wise,
and hyper-wise.
Dee Dee

*JimH*

"Greg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> What's currently your favorite type of chocolate (for primarily
> consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it
> something that's commercially mass produced, or a more expensive
> gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you
> might even make yourself. Of course if you have more than one to
> name, no problem.

Sometimes the best chocolate is region specific. We have tried
national/international companies like Hershey's, Nestles and Brach's
(purchased by Jacob Suchard in the mid to late 1990's), but nothing beats
Malley's, our local chocolate producer (
http://secure.malleys.com/mail_order/index.asp ) :-)