Nexis

Default Foods (and drinks) for a sore throat

I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer when
your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

kimberly

hob

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer

when
> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

I'm afraid I lean to the pop-technical in sore-throat-drinks -
honey, since it sucks the water out of bacteria, and
hot drinks over 100 degrees F, since many of the viri that cause throat
problems supposedly can't live/thrive at that temperature.

Although, if I feel cranky enough and have run out of patience, I go for the
mug, put in a couple tbs of frozen lemonade, fill the cup half up with cheap
whisky, and fill it the rest of the way with boiling water.
If the first mugful doesn't fix it, the second one will.

BTW - I assume you went to the doc with the strep and got something to knock
it down quick - strep often turns and if left untreated, it affects the
heart.

> kimberly

Debbie

Nexis wrote:
>> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat.

Ouch! Hope you are feeling bettter soon.

So I'm
>> wondering...what do you all prefer when your throat's hurting...hot
>> or cold?

Cold

Debbie

TammyM

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer

when
> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

Hot herbal tea with honey. And sometimes a drop (or two or three or ...) of
booze if sleep is an issue -- brandy for me.

When I was a kid, mom and dad made a concoction of whiskey, lemon and honey
for us when we were ill with colds. I think it was more to knock us out
than for its therapeutic properties, but hey, it did the trick
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz And tasted better than Nyquil too.

TammyM

Dave Smith

Nexis wrote:

> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer when
> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

Hot buttered rum with honey

jmcquown

Nexis wrote:
> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My
> sister in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking
> about what feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it
> worse. For her, cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what
> do you all prefer when your throat's hurting...hot or cold?
>
> kimberly

I've never had strep (knock on wood) but when I get a sore throat it heralds
an arriving cold. This means hot broth or soup to not only soothe the
throat but with some hot sauce to open up the sinuses. In such cases hot
chicken soup with a splash of hot sauce, or tomato soup (also with hot
sauce) work wonders. But I also am an ice-water fanatic and even though it
might not feel great going down, it's important for remaining hydrated when
you feel like crud and I just can't drink room-temp water; it must be
chilled.

Jill

Dimitri

"Nexis" > wrote in message news:uYHFe.21868$HV1.840@fed1read07...
>I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister in
>law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what feels
>good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her, cold is
>just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer when your
>throat's hurting...hot or cold?
>
> kimberly

Cold and slippery - Jell-O or Popsicles or even cold soup. Creamy is good too.

Dimitri

Sheldon

Nexis wrote:
> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer wh=

en
> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

K=FCmmel

http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc642.html

Sheldon

Ranee Mueller

In article <uYHFe.21868$HV1.840@fed1read07>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer when
> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

Warm. Soup, broth, tea, etc.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 27 Jul 2005 01:53:50a, Nexis wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My
> sister in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking
> about what feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it
> worse. For her, cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do
> you all prefer when your throat's hurting...hot or cold?
>
> kimberly

Coma, 'til it's over! :-)

Cold foods and beverages. Periodic gargle with very warm walt water and a
dissolved aspirin.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

sf

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:53:50 -0700, Nexis wrote:

> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer when
> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

Thank goodness I've never had to deal with a strep throat.
Occasionally, a virus settles in my throat but the last time was so
long ago, I don't remember what I did.

Usually, hot does it for me - probably because the hurt is from mucus
dripping from my sinuses. In fact, it happened a few days ago, so I
made myself a cup of hot chocolate (nothing fancy, just the add hot
water to a mix). When I have a prolonged sore throat, I crave those
hard lemon drops. The problem is that the last time I bought them,
they were so sweet I couldn't taste the lemon.
Stan Horwitz

wrote:

> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer when
> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

I used to do volunteer work at a museum where a lot of the employees and
volunteers used Ricola cough drops when they had a soar throat before
they had to give a presentation, so I tried them when I had a soar
throat. Wow! I don't know where you live, but in the Philadelphia area,
all the pharmacies and supermarkets carry these cough drops. They're
made from herbs and they truly work wonders. The original kind in the
yellow paper bag work best.
-L.

Depends on the season. Hot or cold these work wonders:

Traditional medicinals teas by Good Earth -
http://www.good-earth.com/traditiona...-coat-tea.html

Or their Tea for Colds -
http://www.good-earth.com/traditiona...-care-tea.html

-L.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer when
> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?
>
> kimberly

A nice glass of rum over ice.......

Seriously.

Or whisky works too!

Cold, for me, kills the pain more.

Get well soon!!!!!!!

Oh, and gargle with warm salt water two or three times per day.
It'll help kill the bugs so you will get better faster. :-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"hob" > wrote:

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
> > I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> > in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> > feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> > cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer

> when
> > your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

> I'm afraid I lean to the pop-technical in sore-throat-drinks -
> honey, since it sucks the water out of bacteria, and
> hot drinks over 100 degrees F, since many of the viri that cause throat
> problems supposedly can't live/thrive at that temperature.
>
> Although, if I feel cranky enough and have run out of patience, I go for the
> mug, put in a couple tbs of frozen lemonade, fill the cup half up with cheap
> whisky, and fill it the rest of the way with boiling water.
> If the first mugful doesn't fix it, the second one will.
>
> BTW - I assume you went to the doc with the strep and got something to knock
> it down quick - strep often turns and if left untreated, it affects the
> heart.

Or the kidney's... ;-p

Good advice!

I'd assumed he'd been to the doc or how would he know for sure it's
strep'?
--
Om.

Nexis

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "hob" > wrote:
>
>> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> > I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My
>> > sister
>> > in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about
>> > what
>> > feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For
>> > her,
>> > cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer

>> when
>> > your throat's hurting...hot or cold?

>> I'm afraid I lean to the pop-technical in sore-throat-drinks -
>> honey, since it sucks the water out of bacteria, and
>> hot drinks over 100 degrees F, since many of the viri that cause throat
>> problems supposedly can't live/thrive at that temperature.
>>
>> Although, if I feel cranky enough and have run out of patience, I go for
>> the
>> mug, put in a couple tbs of frozen lemonade, fill the cup half up with
>> cheap
>> whisky, and fill it the rest of the way with boiling water.
>> If the first mugful doesn't fix it, the second one will.
>>
>> BTW - I assume you went to the doc with the strep and got something to
>> knock
>> it down quick - strep often turns and if left untreated, it affects the
>> heart.
>>

> Or the kidney's... ;-p
>
> Good advice!
>
> I'd assumed he'd been to the doc or how would he know for sure it's
> strep'?
> --
> Om.

Well, yes, I've been to the doc...but I'm not a he.
I told her about the sore throat during a routine visit and she swabbed my
throat once she got a look at it. It's getting better now, and I'll be most
thankful when I take the last of these pills...they really affect my tummy

kimberly

Nexis

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article <uYHFe.21868$HV1.840@fed1read07>, "Nexis" >
> wrote:
>
>> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My
>> sister
>> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
>> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For
>> her,
>> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer
>> when
>> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?
>>
>> kimberly
>>

> A nice glass of rum over ice.......
>
> Seriously.
>
> Or whisky works too!
>
> Cold, for me, kills the pain more.
>
> Get well soon!!!!!!!
>
> Oh, and gargle with warm salt water two or three times per day.
> It'll help kill the bugs so you will get better faster. :-)
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.

My mom calls to remind me to gargle with warm sal****er a few times a day!
;-)
Being diabetic, the alcohol thing isn't quite gonna work for me, but thanks
for the advice and well wishes anyway :-)
I am feeling a bit better today, not so sore, and no fever so far.

kimberly

Nexis

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> "Nexis" > wrote in news:Km9Ge.22135$HV1.20914@fed1read07:
>

>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

>>> A nice glass of rum over ice.......
>>>
>>> Seriously.
>>>
>>> Or whisky works too!
>>>
>>> Cold, for me, kills the pain more.
>>>
>>> Get well soon!!!!!!!
>>>
>>> Oh, and gargle with warm salt water two or three times per day.
>>> It'll help kill the bugs so you will get better faster. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> --
>>> Om.
>>>

>> My mom calls to remind me to gargle with warm sal****er a few times a
>> day! ;-)
>> Being diabetic, the alcohol thing isn't quite gonna work for me, but
>> thanks for the advice and well wishes anyway :-)
>> I am feeling a bit better today, not so sore, and no fever so far.
>>
>> kimberly

> Get better quickly. Diabetic huh? I'm type 2. Welcome to the club.
>
> Michael <- glipizide cocktails every morning

Thanks
And Thanks again

So, out of curiosity...how many pills are you taking a day? I'm actually in
a study taking a new med that isn't on the market yet. It's been great since
we figured out the dosage...in the beginning I was having hypos daily, which
I'm sure you know is not good. Now, though, I only have one on days like
Monday when I couldn't swallow much at all...makes it hard to keep the BG
levels controlled if you can't ingest anything!

kimberly

Mickey Zalusky

Nexis wrote:
> I am currently having a joyful time with a bout of strep throat. My sister
> in law came by today to bring me some soup and we were talking about what
> feels good on a sore throat. For me, cold seems to make it worse. For her,
> cold is just what she needs. So I'm wondering...what do you all prefer when
> your throat's hurting...hot or cold?
>
> kimberly

Simmer chicken broth (low-sodium canned if home-made is not used) and
2-3 cloves garlic until garlic is soft. Beat 1 or 2 eggs and swirl into
the simmering broth. Hot, salty, nutritious, low carb...and the garlic
is supposed to have great medicinal qualities.
morgul the friendly drelb

Try a fifth of Sauza Hornitos. You won't care about the sore throat
anymore - or anything else, for that matter.