Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Sore Throat and mysterious green tea

Would love to hear your suggestions to aid in soothing a sore throat.
I have been sick all week and am gettin worse.
Just brewed a pot of a mixture of jasmine pearls and a semi mystery
green tea. It is hand written on the bag as Yin Tu Green. I remember
in the shop the jar said Yin Tu Green, Spring 2007 flush
however the website says Yun Ju Green.

(from I Dream of Tea or Dream About Tea in Evanston near Chicago,Il
does anyone know more about this particular green

I couldn not find much about it online aside from their website

needless to say the mixture of green and jasmine works well for my
sore throat.

Cheers.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Apr 10, 9:48 pm, Maxwell > wrote:
> Would love to hear your suggestions to aid in soothing a sore throat.
> I have been sick all week and am gettin worse.
> Just brewed a pot of a mixture of jasmine pearls and a semi mystery
> green tea. It is hand written on the bag as Yin Tu Green. I remember
> in the shop the jar said Yin Tu Green, Spring 2007 flush
> however the website says Yun Ju Green.
>
> (from I Dream of Tea or Dream About Tea in Evanston near Chicago,Il
> does anyone know more about this particular green
>
> I couldn not find much about it online aside from their website
>
> needless to say the mixture of green and jasmine works well for my
> sore throat.
>
> Cheers.

I have to admit this is the first time hearing of it for me. I have
read the description on the site and looked at the two blurry photo's
but it's still a bit of a mystery to me. I have to say that I have
some reservations about the tea from the description and price, but it
is possible I guess. Any tea that would be pretty rare and require a 4-
hour journey to pick would probably fetch more than $13 for 4oz., but
who knows. Red flags spring up when I get tales of virgins picking and
roasting my tea during full moons or monkeys dressed in tailored suits
hand rolling leaves while playing pinochle. It looks interesting, I
may have to order some though to try it out.

As for the sore throat, some of my favorite tea remedies a
1. Slice a few quarter sized slices of fresh ginger and boil the heck
out of it in some water and drink it down
2. A black tea of any sort and a large amount (2-4 tablespoons) of
honey in 4-6oz. of water
3. If you can find it, Ricola makes a tea version of it's lozenges
which does wonders
4. Not tea, but eat a few spoonfuls of raw honey (you can find it from
local bee keepers or health food/organic stores)
5. Theraflu. It's like tea but packed with 4x the doses of a number of
medicines that won't help but ease the suffering and knock you out.
6. Nyquil (the real stuff that is now behind the pharmacist's counter,
NOT the shelf), not even remotely tea but you won't care.

Good luck, and if you get a chance I'd like to hear about the Yin Tu/
Yun Ju Green tea as it brews up by itself,
- Dominic
http://teasphere.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Apr 10, 6:48*pm, Maxwell > wrote:
> Would love to hear your suggestions to aid in soothing a sore throat.
> I have been sick all week and am gettin worse.
> Just brewed a pot of a mixture of jasmine pearls and a semi mystery
> green tea. It is hand written on the bag as Yin Tu Green. I remember
> in the shop the jar said Yin Tu Green, Spring 2007 flush
> however the website says Yun Ju Green.
>
> (from I Dream of Tea or Dream About Tea in Evanston near Chicago,Il
> does anyone know more about this particular green
>
> I couldn not find much about it online aside from their website
>
> needless to say the mixture of green and jasmine works well for my
> sore throat.
>
> Cheers.

Green tea, of course, has healing qualities; however, it may help to
add some demulcent herbs: slippery elm, licorice (if your blood
pressure is normal) etc and a bit of honey. Moisturing herbs always
relieve a sore throat.
Be well.
Shen
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Apr 10, 6:48*pm, Maxwell > wrote:
> Would love to hear your suggestions to aid in soothing a sore throat.
> I have been sick all week and am gettin worse.
> Just brewed a pot of a mixture of jasmine pearls and a semi mystery
> green tea. It is hand written on the bag as Yin Tu Green. I remember
> in the shop the jar said Yin Tu Green, Spring 2007 flush
> however the website says Yun Ju Green.
>
> (from I Dream of Tea or Dream About Tea in Evanston near Chicago,Il
> does anyone know more about this particular green
>
> I couldn not find much about it online aside from their website
>
> needless to say the mixture of green and jasmine works well for my
> sore throat.
>
> Cheers.

BTW, in TCM the base herbal formula for Yin Chao (a flu.cold remedy)
called sometimes called "Yin Tu" and also the formula is dried and
looks like green tea. Are you sure this is camellia sinesis?
Also, oregano, another remedy, is called Tu Yin.
Why not ask at the shop? I've been to I Dream Of Tea in Evanston and
the young couple that own the shop are very, very knowlegeable,
especially the wife.
Shen
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Apr 10, 6:48 pm, Maxwell > wrote:
> Would love to hear your suggestions to aid in soothing a sore throat.

A licorice root tea often soothes sore throats. If you have a
bacterial throat infection, lavender in your tea isn't particularly
soothing but it is surprisingly effective at fighting it (my wife's
physician recommended it to fight mild strep throat when he found she
was allergic to the antibiotic he had planned to give her).

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

sore throats is most often viral so whatever you do doesn't change the
outcome much = resolution in some number of days.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

not sure that you forgo antibiotic in a bacterial infection...
especially for bacterial "strep throat" that has many complications.
since there are other antibiotic alternatives to penicillin "allergy"

as for symptomatic relief i just pop some tylenol or ibuprofen

adding some milk+honey or herbal tea+honey/sugar for pleasure...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Apr 11, 6:20 pm, SN > wrote:
> not sure that you forgo antibiotic in a bacterial infection...
> especially for bacterial "strep throat" that has many complications.
> since there are other antibiotic alternatives to penicillin "allergy"
>
> as for symptomatic relief i just pop some tylenol or ibuprofen
>
> adding some milk+honey or herbal tea+honey/sugar for pleasure...

I finally caved in and went to my school clinic to get checked out
yesterday.
Good thing too as it turns out I have the lovely fortune of having
Strep and Mono at the same time!
I now have antibiotics and steroids but I must say this is the most
miserable I have felt in ages

thanks for all the suggestions for remedies. I'll be sure to post some
more about that green tea and how it tastes on its own asap once I can
actually taste and smell things again.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Apr 10, 9:48*pm, Maxwell > wrote:
> Would love to hear your suggestions to aid in soothing a sore throat.
> I have been sick all week and am gettin worse.
> Just brewed a pot of a mixture of jasmine pearls and a semi mystery
> green tea. It is hand written on the bag as Yin Tu Green. I remember
> in the shop the jar said Yin Tu Green, Spring 2007 flush
> however the website says Yun Ju Green.
>
> (from I Dream of Tea or Dream About Tea in Evanston near Chicago,Il
> does anyone know more about this particular green
>
> I couldn not find much about it online aside from their website
>
> needless to say the mixture of green and jasmine works well for my
> sore throat.
>
> Cheers.

Chinese herb Luo Han Guo, looks like a brown mottled handball.
Smash it and use a spoonful per cup, very soothing, no known side
effects, tastes good, inexpensive. 50 cents to a dollar
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

beecrofter > wrote:

> Chinese herb Luo Han Guo, looks like a brown mottled handball.
>Smash it and use a spoonful per cup, very soothing, no known side
>effects, tastes good, inexpensive. 50 cents to a dollar

You can probably buy lo-han-kuo (Momordica grosvenerii or Momordica sinensis)
tisane in little blocks from a good Chinese grocery too. It's very
soothing on your throat, and can be drunk hot or cold. I like it as a
pleasant sweet drink when I don't want caffeine but want something hot.
--scott