Katra

Default The great Avocado experiment... (Tilia)

Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)

I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished
going bad in no time!

I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally
bought one.

Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.

It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :-) No turning
brown.

Cool.

Dad's over-shopped for fresh produce this week also, so I took the two
beautiful bunches of asparagus that he bought and "foodsaved" those as
well. You know how quickly the tips of those tend to spoil, even at 40
degrees! The packing is working well and they look as fresh as the day
he bought them. :-)

I've done a lot of repackaging of stuff in the freezer this week.

This is going to be great........

Does anyone else use this thing to expand the life of fresh produce?????
What kind of luck have you had? I'm betting this would work really
really well for pre-peeled garlic cloves!

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

nancree

Hi, Katra,
I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
Thanks, Nancree

Katra

In article . com>,
"nancree" > wrote:

> Hi, Katra,
> I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
> I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
> from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
> Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
> Thanks, Nancree

Right. :-)
You know how avocados turn brown and icky when you peel them.....

These I cut in half, removed the seed and scooped them out with a large
spoon into the tilia bag, (I put 6 halves in each bag) then vacuum
sealed them. They are residing in the refrigerator and appear to be
staying good with no additives. It's been 4 days now.

I got the idea from our local grocery store. They sell some ready to eat
peeled vacuum packed avocados in the refrigerated produce section.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

Sheldon

Katra wrote:
> Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
> they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)
>
> I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
> Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished

> going bad in no time!
>
> I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally

> bought one.
>
> Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.
>
> It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :-) No

turning
> brown.

They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.

http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...-selection.php

Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
days.

To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.

If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
the top, browned layer.

When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
dips.

Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
of headspace.
Seal and label the containers.
Freeze and use within four to five months.
---

Sheldon

Gorboner of Torros

"Katra" > wrote in message

> Does anyone else use this thing to expand the life of fresh produce?????
> What kind of luck have you had?

I pray to Anubis and Im-Ho-Tep cooks the Tanna Leaves and
pours the stew over the food and it's good at least 5000 yrs.

Katra

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
> > they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)
> >
> > I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
> > Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished

> > going bad in no time!
> >
> > I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally

> > bought one.
> >
> > Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.
> >
> > It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :-) No

> turning
> > brown.

> They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
> refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
> a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.
>
> http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...-selection.php

Hey thanks Sheldon! :-)
I did not realize I could freeze Avocado!

> Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
> days.
>
> To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
> vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
> refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.

Yes, I've done that... but I've gone further with a whole bunch of
Strawberries dad bought. I'm not eating much fruit right now since I'm
low carbing and I'm loathe to toss Straweberries, so I brandied them. ;-)
The alcohol will keep them preserved for a _long_ time I suspect!

> If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
> the top, browned layer.
>
> When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
> Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
> avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
> dips.

Yeah, they were so soft anyway they will just end up being used for
sauces or dips, so I guess freezing them might be the best answer.
I'm going to open a package or two this afternoon and make some avocado
sauce for the seafood stir fry I made last night.
(more on that later).

> Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
> Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
> pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
> of headspace.
> Seal and label the containers.
> Freeze and use within four to five months.

They could also be vacuum packed with care. There is a tilia technique
to packing liquids like soups and sauces. Pre-freeze then pack them.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

Katra

In article > ,
"Gorboner of Torros" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message
> >
> > Does anyone else use this thing to expand the life of fresh produce?????
> > What kind of luck have you had?
> >

> I pray to Anubis and Im-Ho-Tep cooks the Tanna Leaves and
> pours the stew over the food and it's good at least 5000 yrs.

<lol> Dehydrating and the use of dessicant packs is the ultimate
answer...

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

Katra

In article >,
Tony P. > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > In article . com>,
> > "nancree" > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, Katra,
> > > I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
> > > I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
> > > from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
> > > Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
> > > Thanks, Nancree
> > >

> > Right. :-)
> > You know how avocados turn brown and icky when you peel them.....
> >
> > These I cut in half, removed the seed and scooped them out with a large
> > spoon into the tilia bag, (I put 6 halves in each bag) then vacuum
> > sealed them. They are residing in the refrigerator and appear to be
> > staying good with no additives. It's been 4 days now.
> >
> > I got the idea from our local grocery store. They sell some ready to eat
> > peeled vacuum packed avocados in the refrigerated produce section.

> Ait, or more accurately oxygen is the enemy of most fruits and
> vegetables. By evacuating as much of the air as you can the avocados
> don't get a chance to turn brown, or oxidize.
>
> Oxygen is natures great corrosive. Water isn't far behind.

Yeppers... ;-)
Those Asparagus I packed have been in there now for 5 days and there is
no sign of rot.

Man, they really got well evacuated too! The plastic is really tight.
I want to make more jerky and pack it with dessicants. I had to toss a
lot of my venison and emu jerky. :-( It got moldy........

All that work down the drain!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

Phred

In article >, Katra > wrote:
>In article . com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>> Katra wrote:
>> > Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
>> > they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)
>> >
>> > I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
>> > Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished
>> > going bad in no time!
>> >
>> > I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally
>> > bought one. Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.
>> > It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :-) No
>> > turning brown.

>> They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
>> refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
>> a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.
>>
>> http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...-selection.php

>Hey thanks Sheldon! :-) I did not realize I could freeze Avocado!
>>
>> Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
>> days.

Mature but unripe avocados store well in the fridge for quite a long
time. Just take them out a day or two before you want to use them and
let them ripen fully at room temp.

>> To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
>> vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
>> refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.

>Yes, I've done that... but I've gone further with a whole bunch of
>Strawberries dad bought. I'm not eating much fruit right now since I'm
>low carbing and I'm loathe to toss Straweberries, so I brandied them. ;-)
>The alcohol will keep them preserved for a _long_ time I suspect!

Doesn't anyone drink at your place? ;-)

>> If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
>> the top, browned layer.
>>
>> When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
>> Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
>> avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
>> dips.

>Yeah, they were so soft anyway they will just end up being used for
>sauces or dips, so I guess freezing them might be the best answer.
>I'm going to open a package or two this afternoon and make some avocado
>sauce for the seafood stir fry I made last night. (more on that later).
>
>> Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
>> Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
>> pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
>> of headspace.
>> Seal and label the containers.
>> Freeze and use within four to five months.

>They could also be vacuum packed with care. There is a tilia technique
>to packing liquids like soups and sauces. Pre-freeze then pack them.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Tilia FoodSaver??? Rob Mills Barbecue 30 25-02-2007 01:22 PM
The great pumpkin pasta experiment The Bubbo General Cooking 4 02-11-2006 02:34 AM
Tilia name change? LM Preserving 5 04-04-2005 02:20 PM
The great asparagus experiment (Tilia food saver) Katra General Cooking 64 06-03-2005 11:07 PM
Tilia 900 Foodsaver Skip Cooking Equipment 1 04-10-2004 10:04 PM