Katra

Default The great asparagus experiment (Tilia food saver)

Ok, I have a bit of a problem here sometimes...
I do nearly all of the cooking (by agreement since I'm better at it than
he is <G>) so I prefer to do the meal planning AND the grocery shopping
so I know what I have and can use it within a reasonable amount of time.

I've been buying less as I'm on a very strict diet (trying to lose 123
lbs. and am down by 23 so far since Jan. 4th) so am not eating a lot at
all. In fact, I fix myself a separate meal from what I cook for dad.

At the beginning of the month, he gets his SSI check and tends to want
to grocery shop. <sigh> We end up with TOO much fresh produce! I s'pose
I could blanch and freeze it, but I've run out of freezer space and he
would just buy more! :-P

Enter the Tilia food saver! I'm finding that it DRASTICALLY increases
the shelf life of fresh produce! Or at least on the one item that I
tried it on, plus it should allow me to clean and prepare it prior to
sealing it into portions. Handy that! :-)

So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a lot of
older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were
about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my experience
that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus starts to spoil
after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best part!) go first, then
after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.

So I took a large foodsaver bag and undid the wire holders and flattened
out both bunches of fresh asparagus into the foodsaver bag and "saved"
it. I got a really great vacuum on them too! :-) The plasic nicely form
fitted itself around the asparagus spears.

I checked them every couple of days for spoilage and finally after a
solid 2 WEEKS a couple of stems started going soft and I started to lose
the tight seal around the spears. I assume that is because spoiling
veggies produce a small amount of gas.

I opened the package to cook them and I had to toss one entire spear,
and 2 lower stems. That's it. The rest of the asparagus tips were
perfect and the stems etc. of the remaining ones were still fresh and
crisp enough to "snap" the tougher part of the stems off and break them
up into bite size pieces.

I sauteed' them in butter and olive oil with leeks and shrimp.

I've not experimented yet with any other fresh produce, and am wondering
if anyone else has or does???

Thanks!
Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

oldhag

> I've not experimented yet with any other fresh produce, and am wondering
> if anyone else has or does???
>
> Thanks!
> Kat

I bought some green and red pepper slices/pieces that were cut up to
sell after taking out the bad spots for a buck. vacuum packed them and
they lasted almost three weeks. Where we live peppers are a very
valuable commodity running at almost 4 dollars a pound.My package of
salad greens (mixed lettuces spinach etc) lasted 4 weeks in a vacuum
sealed canister
Donna in NWOntario

elaine

"Katra" > wrote in message
> Ok, I have a bit of a problem here sometimes...
> I do nearly all of the cooking (by agreement since I'm better at it than
> he is <G>) so I prefer to do the meal planning AND the grocery shopping
> so I know what I have and can use it within a reasonable amount of time.
>
> I've been buying less as I'm on a very strict diet (trying to lose 123
> lbs. and am down by 23 so far since Jan. 4th) so am not eating a lot at
> all. In fact, I fix myself a separate meal from what I cook for dad.
>
> At the beginning of the month, he gets his SSI check and tends to want
> to grocery shop. <sigh> We end up with TOO much fresh produce! I s'pose
> I could blanch and freeze it, but I've run out of freezer space and he
> would just buy more! :-P
>
> Enter the Tilia food saver! I'm finding that it DRASTICALLY increases
> the shelf life of fresh produce! Or at least on the one item that I
> tried it on, plus it should allow me to clean and prepare it prior to
> sealing it into portions. Handy that! :-)
>
> So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a lot of
> older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were
> about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my experience
> that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus starts to spoil
> after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best part!) go first, then
> after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.
>
> So I took a large foodsaver bag and undid the wire holders and flattened
> out both bunches of fresh asparagus into the foodsaver bag and "saved"
> it. I got a really great vacuum on them too! :-) The plasic nicely form
> fitted itself around the asparagus spears.
>
> I checked them every couple of days for spoilage and finally after a
> solid 2 WEEKS a couple of stems started going soft and I started to lose
> the tight seal around the spears. I assume that is because spoiling
> veggies produce a small amount of gas.
>
> I opened the package to cook them and I had to toss one entire spear,
> and 2 lower stems. That's it. The rest of the asparagus tips were
> perfect and the stems etc. of the remaining ones were still fresh and
> crisp enough to "snap" the tougher part of the stems off and break them
> up into bite size pieces.
>
> I sauteed' them in butter and olive oil with leeks and shrimp.
>
> I've not experimented yet with any other fresh produce, and am wondering
> if anyone else has or does???
>
> Thanks!
> Kat

Katra,
Congratulations on losing 23lbs. Now that's the kind of incentive that
should keep you going until you reach your goal. Good luck!

This doesn't having anything to do with the Tilia food saver, although it
sounds wonderful. Yesterday, I bought some pickled asparagus from Costco -
they were really good. Now that asparagus season is almost upon us (at
least here in Ontario), I plan on making some myself. I would imagine it
would be like pickling cucumbers. Will check it out at Google.

Elaine

Jessica V.

elaine wrote:

> [...]
>>up into bite size pieces.
>>
>>I sauteed' them in butter and olive oil with leeks and shrimp.
>>
>>I've not experimented yet with any other fresh produce, and am wondering
>>if anyone else has or does???
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Kat

> Katra,
> Congratulations on losing 23lbs. Now that's the kind of incentive that
> should keep you going until you reach your goal. Good luck!
>
> This doesn't having anything to do with the Tilia food saver, although it
> sounds wonderful. Yesterday, I bought some pickled asparagus from Costco -
> they were really good. Now that asparagus season is almost upon us (at
> least here in Ontario), I plan on making some myself. I would imagine it
> would be like pickling cucumbers. Will check it out at Google.

Another pickled asparagus fan. I'm going to try making it with mum's
dill green bean recipe, as soon as local asparagus is available. Looks
like it'll be awhile in the midst of another round of white stuff in Maine.

Jessica
Jessica V.

Katra wrote:

> Ok, I have a bit of a problem here sometimes...
> I do nearly all of the cooking (by agreement since I'm better at it than
> he is <G>) so I prefer to do the meal planning AND the grocery shopping
> so I know what I have and can use it within a reasonable amount of time.
>
> I've been buying less as I'm on a very strict diet (trying to lose 123
> lbs. and am down by 23 so far since Jan. 4th) so am not eating a lot at
> all. In fact, I fix myself a separate meal from what I cook for dad.
>
> At the beginning of the month, he gets his SSI check and tends to want
> to grocery shop. <sigh> We end up with TOO much fresh produce! I s'pose
> I could blanch and freeze it, but I've run out of freezer space and he
> would just buy more! :-P
>
> Enter the Tilia food saver! I'm finding that it DRASTICALLY increases
> the shelf life of fresh produce! Or at least on the one item that I
> tried it on, plus it should allow me to clean and prepare it prior to
> sealing it into portions. Handy that! :-)
>
> So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a lot of
> older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were
> about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my experience
> that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus starts to spoil
> after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best part!) go first, then
> after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.
>
> So I took a large foodsaver bag and undid the wire holders and flattened
> out both bunches of fresh asparagus into the foodsaver bag and "saved"
> it. I got a really great vacuum on them too! :-) The plasic nicely form
> fitted itself around the asparagus spears.
>
> I checked them every couple of days for spoilage and finally after a
> solid 2 WEEKS a couple of stems started going soft and I started to lose
> the tight seal around the spears. I assume that is because spoiling
> veggies produce a small amount of gas.
>
> I opened the package to cook them and I had to toss one entire spear,
> and 2 lower stems. That's it. The rest of the asparagus tips were
> perfect and the stems etc. of the remaining ones were still fresh and
> crisp enough to "snap" the tougher part of the stems off and break them
> up into bite size pieces.
>
> I sauteed' them in butter and olive oil with leeks and shrimp.
>
> I've not experimented yet with any other fresh produce, and am wondering
> if anyone else has or does???
>
> Thanks!
> Kat

Congratulations on the weight loss!

I've been foodsaver-ing green onions when they are on sale for
twenty-five cents a bunch. I've used them up before they've gotten
mushy or slimy about 2 weeks in the fridge. Any leftover color bell
pepper gets chopped/sliced and gets the same treatment at $4 a pound I
don't want to waste any, again a couple of weeks. I've gotten about a
week out of flat leaf parsley and basil.

Jessica

Katra

In article >,
oldhag > wrote:

> > I've not experimented yet with any other fresh produce, and am wondering
> > if anyone else has or does???
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Kat

> I bought some green and red pepper slices/pieces that were cut up to
> sell after taking out the bad spots for a buck. vacuum packed them and
> they lasted almost three weeks. Where we live peppers are a very
> valuable commodity running at almost 4 dollars a pound.My package of
> salad greens (mixed lettuces spinach etc) lasted 4 weeks in a vacuum
> sealed canister
> Donna in NWOntario

Oh cool!
I'm going to have to try that to extend the life of the baby spinach we
like to buy, thanks! :-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
"elaine" > wrote:

> Katra,
> Congratulations on losing 23lbs. Now that's the kind of incentive that
> should keep you going until you reach your goal. Good luck!

Thank you! ;-)
As long as that scale keeps moving down, I can stay motivated... I
finally went to see an endocrinologist as I knew there was more to my
weight problem than just eating too much. She's adjusted my thyroid
medication, and put me on Metformin for insulin resistance.

Now I can diet and have it work. <G> Low carb of course.....

> This doesn't having anything to do with the Tilia food saver, although it
> sounds wonderful. Yesterday, I bought some pickled asparagus from Costco -
> they were really good. Now that asparagus season is almost upon us (at
> least here in Ontario), I plan on making some myself. I would imagine it
> would be like pickling cucumbers. Will check it out at Google.
>
> Elaine

Hey I'm going to have to check that out, thanks!
I'm fixin' to trim the dead ferns out of my own asparagus patch as I
should start getting spears pretty soon! I leave the dead ferns over
the winter to provide strucural support for the sheet I put over the
asparagus patch to protect the root systems. I also need to add more
compost to the patch.

Pickled asparagus sounds wonderful!

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
"Jessica V." > wrote:

> elaine wrote:
>

> > Katra,
> > Congratulations on losing 23lbs. Now that's the kind of incentive that
> > should keep you going until you reach your goal. Good luck!
> >
> > This doesn't having anything to do with the Tilia food saver, although it
> > sounds wonderful. Yesterday, I bought some pickled asparagus from Costco -
> > they were really good. Now that asparagus season is almost upon us (at
> > least here in Ontario), I plan on making some myself. I would imagine it
> > would be like pickling cucumbers. Will check it out at Google.
> >
> > Elaine
> >

> Another pickled asparagus fan. I'm going to try making it with mum's
> dill green bean recipe, as soon as local asparagus is available. Looks
> like it'll be awhile in the midst of another round of white stuff in Maine.
>
> Jessica

Ooh, post the recipe? Please?
I've not done a lot of pickling but would like to try it!

Anyone ever pickled choy?
There are about 6 varieties of choy at the oriental market, and some of
it has short, slender spears like celery rather than the big fat ones I
use in stir fry.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
"Jessica V." > wrote:

> Congratulations on the weight loss!

Thanks!

> I've been foodsaver-ing green onions when they are on sale for
> twenty-five cents a bunch. I've used them up before they've gotten
> mushy or slimy about 2 weeks in the fridge. Any leftover color bell
> pepper gets chopped/sliced and gets the same treatment at $4 a pound I
> don't want to waste any, again a couple of weeks. I've gotten about a
> week out of flat leaf parsley and basil.
>
> Jessica

Hm... I wonder if I can foodsave my fresh herbs out of the herb garden
then? Most of them winter over, but I have to re-plant my basil every
year. I did manage to winter over one pot of Basil in the greenhouse
which was nice, but it's now blooming so not long for this world...

I have wild spring onions that grow here as well that are WONderful if I
get them before they bloom. Might have to try that with them then.

Thanks!

Can't tell this is my first food saver huh? <lol>
I've only had it for a month or so.

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Mar 2005 01:28:52a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a lot of
> older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were
> about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my experience
> that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus starts to spoil
> after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best part!) go first, then
> after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.

This would never happen in our house. No matter what else was in the fridge
or what was leftover, that asparagus would be lucky to last a day or two!
Tilia I need not.

Wayne

Sheldon

Katra wrote:

> So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a lot

of
> older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were
> about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige.

Coulda prepared the Asparagus Guacamole I posted yesterday... it's very
low calorie but tastes rich and delicious... and freezes well. Of
course I woulda just used the bodies, the asparagus tips woulda been
immediately stir fried and topped a sharp cheddar omelet... I'll even
load up a ham n' swiss sandwich with raw aspara-tips... spicey brown
mustard, swiss, ham, shreadded lettuce, aspara-tips, lotsa mayo...
bread of course. Thinking you can try a ham n' swiss with the
asparagus guacamole and save the mayo calories.

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 01 Mar 2005 01:28:52a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a

lot of
> > older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were

> > about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my

experience
> > that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus starts to

spoil
> > after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best part!) go first,

then
> > after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.

> This would never happen in our house. No matter what else was in the

fridge
> or what was leftover, that asparagus would be lucky to last a day or

two!
> Tilia I need not.
>
> Wayne

Me too. I've been known to polish off a pound of spears in one
sitting, as raw crudites, sometimes au jus... not even any dip... but
asparagus crudites are wonderful with a cream cheese n' lox dip.

Sheldon

Ted Campanelli

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

A tip that will help keep the food a little longer: Get the fridge down
to 34 degrees. I have found milk last about 4 - 5 days longer at 34
degrees than at 40 degrees.

> Ok, I have a bit of a problem here sometimes...
> I do nearly all of the cooking (by agreement since I'm better at it than
> he is <G>) so I prefer to do the meal planning AND the grocery shopping
> so I know what I have and can use it within a reasonable amount of time.
>
> I've been buying less as I'm on a very strict diet (trying to lose 123
> lbs. and am down by 23 so far since Jan. 4th) so am not eating a lot at
> all. In fact, I fix myself a separate meal from what I cook for dad.
>
> At the beginning of the month, he gets his SSI check and tends to want
> to grocery shop. <sigh> We end up with TOO much fresh produce! I s'pose
> I could blanch and freeze it, but I've run out of freezer space and he
> would just buy more! :-P
>
> Enter the Tilia food saver! I'm finding that it DRASTICALLY increases
> the shelf life of fresh produce! Or at least on the one item that I
> tried it on, plus it should allow me to clean and prepare it prior to
> sealing it into portions. Handy that! :-)
>
> So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a lot of
> older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were
> about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my experience
> that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus starts to spoil
> after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best part!) go first, then
> after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.
>
> So I took a large foodsaver bag and undid the wire holders and flattened
> out both bunches of fresh asparagus into the foodsaver bag and "saved"
> it. I got a really great vacuum on them too! :-) The plasic nicely form
> fitted itself around the asparagus spears.
>
> I checked them every couple of days for spoilage and finally after a
> solid 2 WEEKS a couple of stems started going soft and I started to lose
> the tight seal around the spears. I assume that is because spoiling
> veggies produce a small amount of gas.
>
> I opened the package to cook them and I had to toss one entire spear,
> and 2 lower stems. That's it. The rest of the asparagus tips were
> perfect and the stems etc. of the remaining ones were still fresh and
> crisp enough to "snap" the tougher part of the stems off and break them
> up into bite size pieces.
>
> I sauteed' them in butter and olive oil with leeks and shrimp.
>
> I've not experimented yet with any other fresh produce, and am wondering
> if anyone else has or does???
>
> Thanks!
> Kat

elaine

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Coulda prepared the Asparagus Guacamole I posted yesterday... it's very
> low calorie but tastes rich and delicious... and freezes well. Of
> course I woulda just used the bodies, the asparagus tips woulda been
> immediately stir fried and topped a sharp cheddar omelet... I'll even
> load up a ham n' swiss sandwich with raw aspara-tips... spicey brown
> mustard, swiss, ham, shreadded lettuce, aspara-tips, lotsa mayo...
> bread of course. Thinking you can try a ham n' swiss with the
> asparagus guacamole and save the mayo calories.

Asparagus Guacamole recipe posted yesterday? It shouldn't have been one I
overlooked.........'cause it sounds great! But I can't find it.

Elaine

elaine

"elaine" > wrote in message
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >

> > Coulda prepared the Asparagus Guacamole I posted yesterday... it's very
> > low calorie but tastes rich and delicious... and freezes well. Of
> > course I woulda just used the bodies, the asparagus tips woulda been
> > immediately stir fried and topped a sharp cheddar omelet... I'll even
> > load up a ham n' swiss sandwich with raw aspara-tips... spicey brown
> > mustard, swiss, ham, shreadded lettuce, aspara-tips, lotsa mayo...
> > bread of course. Thinking you can try a ham n' swiss with the
> > asparagus guacamole and save the mayo calories.

> Asparagus Guacamole recipe posted yesterday? It shouldn't have been one I
> overlooked.........'cause it sounds great! But I can't find it.
>
> Elaine

OOPS - found it. Under the AVOCADO thread. Imagine that!!
Elaine

The Joneses

"Jessica V." wrote:

> elaine wrote:
> > "Katra" > wrote in message
> >>I've been buying less as I'm on a very strict diet (trying to lose 123
> >>lbs. and am down by 23 so far since Jan. 4th)

> Yeeehaaa!

> >>Enter the Tilia food saver! I'm finding that it DRASTICALLY increases
> >>the shelf life of fresh produce! Or at least on the one item that I
> >>tried it on, plus it should allow me to clean and prepare it prior to
> >>sealing it into portions. Handy that! :-)

> > This doesn't having anything to do with the Tilia food saver, although it
> > sounds wonderful. Yesterday, I bought some pickled asparagus from Costco -
> > they were really good. Now that asparagus season is almost upon us (at
> > least here in Ontario), I plan on making some myself. I would imagine it
> > would be like pickling cucumbers. Will check it out at Google.
> > Elaine
> >

> Another pickled asparagus fan. I'm going to try making it with mum's
> dill green bean recipe, as soon as local asparagus is available. Looks
> like it'll be awhile in the midst of another round of white stuff in Maine.
> Jessica

The recipe from The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving_, by Topp & Howard,
c.2001, Firefly Publ. Co. is fab, adaptable (it uses tarragon, but all other
herbs real nice too). The Joy of Pickling's Pickled Sugar Snap Peas (a
refrigerator pickle) is also wonderful and extends life of these delicate veggies
for months. I highly recommend both books. My notes in[*]. And join us over at
rec.food.preserving!
Edrena, pickle queen

Herbed Asparagus Pickles
makes 4 pints
2.5-3 pounds asparagus
4 sprigs fresh tarragon
2 small dry shallots, halved
2 cups white wine vinegar
1.5 cups white vinegar
[better all 3.5 cups white wine vinegar]
1 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar [or scant 1/4 c Splenda]
1 teaspoon pickling salt [not kosher, not iodized]
[my notes say increase the liquids, sugar & salt by 1/2 again]
1.Wash asparagus & cut each spear 4.5 inches long or long enough to fit a
wide-mouth pint jar leaving 3/4 inch head space.
2.Remove hot jars from canner & pack asparagus into jars with tips down. Tuck a
sprig of tarragon and half a shallot among the spears.
3.Combine wine vinegar, white vinegar, water, sugar & salt in a medium saucepan
and bring to a boil. Pour boiling vinegar mixture over asparagus to within 1/2
inch of rim. [de-bubble, wipe rims, cover with 2-piece lids]. Process 15 minutes
for pint jars [in boiling water bath, adjust for higher altitudes].

The Joneses

"Jessica V." wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > Ok, I have a bit of a problem here sometimes...
> > I do nearly all of the cooking (by agreement since I'm better at it than
> > he is <G>) so I prefer to do the meal planning AND the grocery shopping
> > so I know what I have and can use it within a reasonable amount of time.
> > I've been buying less as I'm on a very strict diet (trying to lose 123
> > lbs. and am down by 23 so far since Jan. 4th) so am not eating a lot at
> > all. In fact, I fix myself a separate meal from what I cook for dad.
> > At the beginning of the month, he gets his SSI check and tends to want
> > to grocery shop. <sigh> We end up with TOO much fresh produce! I s'pose
> > I could blanch and freeze it, but I've run out of freezer space and he
> > would just buy more! :-P
> > Enter the Tilia food saver! I'm finding that it DRASTICALLY increases
> > the shelf life of fresh produce! > Kat
> >

> Congratulations on the weight loss!
> I've been foodsaver-ing green onions when they are on sale for
> twenty-five cents a bunch. I've used them up before they've gotten
> mushy or slimy about 2 weeks in the fridge. Any leftover color bell
> pepper gets chopped/sliced and gets the same treatment at $4 a pound I
> don't want to waste any, again a couple of weeks. I've gotten about a
> week out of flat leaf parsley and basil.
> Jessica

I tried to pickle green onions and it was a disaster. Just to share my
experience.
Edrena

Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 01 Mar 2005 01:28:52a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a lot of
> > older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were
> > about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my experience
> > that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus starts to spoil
> > after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best part!) go first, then
> > after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.

> This would never happen in our house. No matter what else was in the fridge
> or what was leftover, that asparagus would be lucky to last a day or two!
> Tilia I need not.
>
> Wayne

<grins> Normally that would be the way it would be here too... it's just
that the 'frige really was packed with too much other produce, and I
wanted to go and get some shrimp to go with it!

Shrimp is faboulous with asparagus!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a lot

> of
> > older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were
> > about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige.

> Coulda prepared the Asparagus Guacamole I posted yesterday... it's very
> low calorie but tastes rich and delicious... and freezes well. Of
> course I woulda just used the bodies, the asparagus tips woulda been
> immediately stir fried and topped a sharp cheddar omelet... I'll even
> load up a ham n' swiss sandwich with raw aspara-tips... spicey brown
> mustard, swiss, ham, shreadded lettuce, aspara-tips, lotsa mayo...
> bread of course. Thinking you can try a ham n' swiss with the
> asparagus guacamole and save the mayo calories.

Funny you should say that. :-)

I usually save the tough asparagus stems in the freezer until I have a
bunch of them. When they thaw, they are soft enough to run thru the
Victorio strainer and get lots of yummy asparagus mush!

That is made into cream of asparagus soup with added additional chopped
asparagues.

And you are right. Asparagus tips go _really_ well in Omelets!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Tue 01 Mar 2005 01:28:52a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a

> lot of
> > > older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were

> > > about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my

> experience
> > > that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus starts to

> spoil
> > > after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best part!) go first,

> then
> > > after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.

> > This would never happen in our house. No matter what else was in the

> fridge
> > or what was leftover, that asparagus would be lucky to last a day or

> two!
> > Tilia I need not.
> >
> > Wayne

> Me too. I've been known to polish off a pound of spears in one
> sitting, as raw crudites, sometimes au jus... not even any dip... but
> asparagus crudites are wonderful with a cream cheese n' lox dip.
>

> Sheldon

Most of the asparagus that I grow in the garden never makes it back into
the house... <lol> Both dad and I will pick it and eat it right there if
there are just a few ready spears and not enough for a meal!

None the less, it was a good test for the Tilia... :-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article > ,
Ted Campanelli > wrote:

> Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
> so great) words of knowledge:
>
> A tip that will help keep the food a little longer: Get the fridge down
> to 34 degrees. I have found milk last about 4 - 5 days longer at 34
> degrees than at 40 degrees.

Won't that tend to freeze stuff at the back of the refrigerator tho'?
I've been tempted to turn the Hobart thermostat down a bit, but I was
afraid of stressing the compressor! This is a very, very old unit and
I'm spending about $250.00 per year in repairs to keep it alive......

but it's been worth it. ;-)

I'm told tho' that if the compressor goes, it'll run me $1,500 to
replace it unless I can maybe get one directly from Hobart.

40 cubic feet. Dad gets half of it for his Kombucha and colloidal silver
concoctions, and I get the other half for FOOD! I use the bottom area to
store seed and nuts for my cockatoo.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 02 Mar 2005 12:09:18a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Tue 01 Mar 2005 01:28:52a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a lot
>> > of older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there
>> > were about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my
>> > experience that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus
>> > starts to spoil after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best
>> > part!) go first, then after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.

>> This would never happen in our house. No matter what else was in the
>> fridge or what was leftover, that asparagus would be lucky to last a
>> day or two! Tilia I need not.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> <grins> Normally that would be the way it would be here too... it's just
> that the 'frige really was packed with too much other produce, and I
> wanted to go and get some shrimp to go with it!
>
> Shrimp is faboulous with asparagus!

I used to serve a salad/starter of lightly cooked and chilled asparagus
spears arranged on a bed of arrugula, topped with tiny boiled shrimp,
dressed with a tarragon vinaigrette, and garnished with sieved or finely
chopped hard-boiled egg, dusted lightly with paprika. Very simple, but
everyone raved about it. I had forgotten all about it. I'll have to make
it again.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Hahabogus

"Sheldon" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Tue 01 Mar 2005 01:28:52a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > So, dad bought 2 nice big beautiful bundles of Asparagus! I had a

> lot of
> > > older produce that I really needed to use up first, plus there were

> > > about 2 days worth of leftovers in the 'frige. It's been my

> experience
> > > that, even at a good regulated 40 degrees, asparagus starts to

> spoil
> > > after about 3 days. The tips (which are the best part!) go first,

> then
> > > after about 5 days, the stems start going soft.

> > This would never happen in our house. No matter what else was in the

> fridge
> > or what was leftover, that asparagus would be lucky to last a day or

> two!
> > Tilia I need not.
> >
> > Wayne

> Me too. I've been known to polish off a pound of spears in one
> sitting, as raw crudites, sometimes au jus... not even any dip... but
> asparagus crudites are wonderful with a cream cheese n' lox dip.
>

> Sheldon

I like my spears tossed in oil and koshersalt and grilled.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 02 Mar 2005 12:09:18a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> >> This would never happen in our house. No matter what else was in the
> >> fridge or what was leftover, that asparagus would be lucky to last a
> >> day or two! Tilia I need not.
> >>
> >> Wayne
> >>

> > <grins> Normally that would be the way it would be here too... it's just
> > that the 'frige really was packed with too much other produce, and I
> > wanted to go and get some shrimp to go with it!
> >
> > Shrimp is faboulous with asparagus!
> >

> I used to serve a salad/starter of lightly cooked and chilled asparagus
> spears arranged on a bed of arrugula, topped with tiny boiled shrimp,
> dressed with a tarragon vinaigrette, and garnished with sieved or finely
> chopped hard-boiled egg, dusted lightly with paprika. Very simple, but
> everyone raved about it. I had forgotten all about it. I'll have to make
> it again.

Oh gods! Now you've gone and made me hungry! ;-)
I'd use the medium salad shrimp tho' as it tends to have more flavor
than the tiny ones IMHO?

And baby spinach leaves instead of Arrugula. I'm not sure why, but I
just cannot _stand_ arrugula! My mother adored it so we grew it for her,
but I don't even like the way it smells. :-P

How do you make your Tarragon vinaigrette? It sounds tasty!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
Hahabogus > wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > lot of

> > experience

> > spoil

> > then
> > >
> > > This would never happen in our house. No matter what else was in the

> > fridge
> > > or what was leftover, that asparagus would be lucky to last a day or

> > two!
> > > Tilia I need not.
> > >
> > > Wayne

> > Me too. I've been known to polish off a pound of spears in one
> > sitting, as raw crudites, sometimes au jus... not even any dip... but
> > asparagus crudites are wonderful with a cream cheese n' lox dip.
> >

> > Sheldon
> >

> I like my spears tossed in oil and koshersalt and grilled.

Gas grill or wood?
--
K.

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 02 Mar 2005 03:19:41a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 02 Mar 2005 12:09:18a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > <grins> Normally that would be the way it would be here too... it's
>> > just that the 'frige really was packed with too much other produce,
>> > and I wanted to go and get some shrimp to go with it!
>> >
>> > Shrimp is faboulous with asparagus!
>> >

>> I used to serve a salad/starter of lightly cooked and chilled asparagus
>> spears arranged on a bed of arrugula, topped with tiny boiled shrimp,
>> dressed with a tarragon vinaigrette, and garnished with sieved or
>> finely chopped hard-boiled egg, dusted lightly with paprika. Very
>> simple, but everyone raved about it. I had forgotten all about it.
>> I'll have to make it again.

> Oh gods! Now you've gone and made me hungry! ;-)
> I'd use the medium salad shrimp tho' as it tends to have more flavor
> than the tiny ones IMHO?

Actually, I think that's what I've always used. I didn't mean those that
are so tiny that you almost can't recognize that they're shrimp. :-)

> And baby spinach leaves instead of Arrugula. I'm not sure why, but I
> just cannot _stand_ arrugula! My mother adored it so we grew it for her,
> but I don't even like the way it smells. :-P

I've also used butter lettuce in place of arrugula. I like to see a high
contrast in color between the asparagus and the greens.

> How do you make your Tarragon vinaigrette? It sounds tasty!

Not really a recipe because I eyeball it. About 2/3 cup EVOO, 1/3 cup
tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon
pommery mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper, 1/4
teaspoon paprika, and 2 teaspoons finely snipped fresh tarragon leaves.
Combine all together, except the fresh tarragon, in a small bowl and whisk
until emulsified. Cover and allow to stand for at least an hour. Just
before serving, whisk again and stir in the fresh tarragon.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ted Campanelli

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

It shouldn't be freezing stuff at the back. You will need to keep an
eye on stuff in the bottom of the fridge (vegetable crispers, etc) since
cold air sinks down. The crispers tend to get colder than the main unit
even in new fridges. Pick up a refrigerator thermometer(s) (about $3 -
$5 ) and put it in the area(s) you are concerned about for freezing.

Provided the gaskets and insulation in the unit are OK, you won't be
stressing the compressor (they should be or you would be out looking for
a new unit by now).

The compressor needs to run periodically to maintain the temperature, so
the only major additional running it is going to do is to get the unit
down to the temperature initially. Once the temperature is there the
compressor should not be running any more than it is now, provided you
do not leave the door open for long periods of time.

FWIW - I recently had to purchase a new fridge. Since the new ones use
a very small motor it takes awhile to get the unit where you want it.
After about 2 - 3 weeks of "playing", my freezer is at -8 to -10 degrees
and the upper part of the fridge is at 35 degrees while the crisper
drawers are at 33 - 34 degrees. When I was in the service (back in the
60's) the military standards were to keep the freezers at -10 to -15
degrees and the "cooler" (refrigerator ) at 34 degrees to provide
optimum food safety and longevity.

> Won't that tend to freeze stuff at the back of the refrigerator tho'?
> I've been tempted to turn the Hobart thermostat down a bit, but I was
> afraid of stressing the compressor! This is a very, very old unit and
> I'm spending about $250.00 per year in repairs to keep it alive......
>
> but it's been worth it. ;-)
>
> I'm told tho' that if the compressor goes, it'll run me $1,500 to
> replace it unless I can maybe get one directly from Hobart.
>
> 40 cubic feet. Dad gets half of it for his Kombucha and colloidal silver
> concoctions, and I get the other half for FOOD! I use the bottom area to
> store seed and nuts for my cockatoo.

Nancy Young

"Katra" > wrote

> Won't that tend to freeze stuff at the back of the refrigerator tho'?
> I've been tempted to turn the Hobart thermostat down a bit, but I was
> afraid of stressing the compressor! This is a very, very old unit and
> I'm spending about $250.00 per year in repairs to keep it alive......

Why? I'm not being sarcastic, you could have put a major down
payment on a new one. I've been the you can't get the refrigerator
you want, they have to order it. So, you're stuck when yours dies,
living out of a cooler and buying ice by the ton. It's one thing to
live without tv or a washing machine ... no refrigeration is a real
hassle. You're pouring money down the drain at this point, I'm
sincerely curious why?

nancy

Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 02 Mar 2005 03:19:41a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> >> I used to serve a salad/starter of lightly cooked and chilled asparagus
> >> spears arranged on a bed of arrugula, topped with tiny boiled shrimp,
> >> dressed with a tarragon vinaigrette, and garnished with sieved or
> >> finely chopped hard-boiled egg, dusted lightly with paprika. Very
> >> simple, but everyone raved about it. I had forgotten all about it.
> >> I'll have to make it again.

> > Oh gods! Now you've gone and made me hungry! ;-)
> > I'd use the medium salad shrimp tho' as it tends to have more flavor
> > than the tiny ones IMHO?

> Actually, I think that's what I've always used. I didn't mean those that
> are so tiny that you almost can't recognize that they're shrimp. :-)

<lol> Ok, I was thinking the bitty ones that are less than an inch long.
I get the FF cocktail shrimp most of the time now, as they have been
reasonable in a 2 lb. bag for $10.00. They are pre-cooked to perfection
and all I have to do is pop the tail tips off.

I've found the best way to "heat" those for meals now is to simply put
them into a screen colander and the colander into a bowl and run very
hot tap water over them. My tap water is pretty hot so it heats them
nicely just to eating temperature. I serve them on the side sometimes
for brunch with a little lemon butter.

> > And baby spinach leaves instead of Arrugula. I'm not sure why, but I
> > just cannot _stand_ arrugula! My mother adored it so we grew it for her,
> > but I don't even like the way it smells. :-P

> I've also used butter lettuce in place of arrugula. I like to see a high
> contrast in color between the asparagus and the greens.

Oh yes!!! Butter lettuce is probably my #1 favorite lettuce. ;-d

> > How do you make your Tarragon vinaigrette? It sounds tasty!

> Not really a recipe because I eyeball it. About 2/3 cup EVOO, 1/3 cup
> tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon
> pommery mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper, 1/4
> teaspoon paprika, and 2 teaspoons finely snipped fresh tarragon leaves.
> Combine all together, except the fresh tarragon, in a small bowl and whisk
> until emulsified. Cover and allow to stand for at least an hour. Just
> before serving, whisk again and stir in the fresh tarragon.

Sounds good!
Have you ever tried making a flavored herbal vinigar? I take either
apple cider vinegar or plain white vinegar and fresh herbs from the herb
garden, washed well, and stuff a jar full of the fresh herbs, then pour
the vinegar over them, fill the jar and close it up. I let it soak for a
good couple of weeks.

Then for decoration, you can take a nice clear wine bottle and put a few
long sprigs of fresh herbs in there like rosemary, tarragon, sage, etc.
and pour the herbal vinegar into the bottle. Tie a ribbon around the top
after replacing the cork.

Makes a nice gift, or keep it for yourself for salads!

I have a LOT of chili petin bushes that grow wild, so I usually vinegar
those. Goes well on fish.

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote
>
> > Won't that tend to freeze stuff at the back of the refrigerator tho'?
> > I've been tempted to turn the Hobart thermostat down a bit, but I was
> > afraid of stressing the compressor! This is a very, very old unit and
> > I'm spending about $250.00 per year in repairs to keep it alive......

> Why? I'm not being sarcastic, you could have put a major down
> payment on a new one. I've been the you can't get the refrigerator
> you want, they have to order it. So, you're stuck when yours dies,
> living out of a cooler and buying ice by the ton. It's one thing to
> live without tv or a washing machine ... no refrigeration is a real
> hassle. You're pouring money down the drain at this point, I'm
> sincerely curious why?
>
> nancy

Because a refrigerator of this quality, 40 cubic ft. Double glass front
doors, regulated temp with a REAL thermostat and not stupid little dialy
thingies that you can almost never get to work right, costs well over
$3,000 to purchase even a good used one, and I got it from our lab for
$200.00. ;-) I love the space, I love the convenince, I love the ease
in cleaning.... and so far, no repairs THIS year. I figure once we fix
all the problems, it won't be any big deal for awhile. I've only had it
for 3 years.

I can't get another frige like this one easily......

I LOVE having this much space, and this stable of a temp.

$250.00 per year is p-nuts. I'd have bought a new one in, what, 12
years. <lol>

We'll see how it runs this year. :-) Now that that freon leak was
FINALLY found, I don't anticipate having to spend anything this year.....

Thanks!
Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 02 Mar 2005 12:20:54p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 02 Mar 2005 03:19:41a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Oh gods! Now you've gone and made me hungry! ;-)
>> > I'd use the medium salad shrimp tho' as it tends to have more flavor
>> > than the tiny ones IMHO?

>> Actually, I think that's what I've always used. I didn't mean those
>> that are so tiny that you almost can't recognize that they're shrimp.
>> :-)

> <lol> Ok, I was thinking the bitty ones that are less than an inch
> long. I get the FF cocktail shrimp most of the time now, as they have
> been reasonable in a 2 lb. bag for $10.00. They are pre-cooked to
> perfection and all I have to do is pop the tail tips off.
>
> I've found the best way to "heat" those for meals now is to simply put
> them into a screen colander and the colander into a bowl and run very
> hot tap water over them. My tap water is pretty hot so it heats them
> nicely just to eating temperature. I serve them on the side sometimes
> for brunch with a little lemon butter.
>

>> > And baby spinach leaves instead of Arrugula. I'm not sure why, but I
>> > just cannot _stand_ arrugula! My mother adored it so we grew it for
>> > her, but I don't even like the way it smells. :-P

>> I've also used butter lettuce in place of arrugula. I like to see a
>> high contrast in color between the asparagus and the greens.

> Oh yes!!! Butter lettuce is probably my #1 favorite lettuce. ;-d
>

>> > How do you make your Tarragon vinaigrette? It sounds tasty!

>> Not really a recipe because I eyeball it. About 2/3 cup EVOO, 1/3 cup
>> tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2
>> teaspoon pommery mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cracked black
>> pepper, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 2 teaspoons finely snipped fresh
>> tarragon leaves. Combine all together, except the fresh tarragon, in a
>> small bowl and whisk until emulsified. Cover and allow to stand for at
>> least an hour. Just before serving, whisk again and stir in the fresh
>> tarragon.

> Sounds good!
> Have you ever tried making a flavored herbal vinigar? I take either
> apple cider vinegar or plain white vinegar and fresh herbs from the herb
> garden, washed well, and stuff a jar full of the fresh herbs, then pour
> the vinegar over them, fill the jar and close it up. I let it soak for a
> good couple of weeks.

My favorite that I make and try to keep on hand is made with white wine
vinegar, a few whole cloves, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fennel seed,
fresh bay laurel, fresh basil, and fresh marjoram.

> Then for decoration, you can take a nice clear wine bottle and put a few
> long sprigs of fresh herbs in there like rosemary, tarragon, sage, etc.
> and pour the herbal vinegar into the bottle. Tie a ribbon around the top
> after replacing the cork.

Very pretty, indeed! Looks nice in the kitchen.

> Makes a nice gift, or keep it for yourself for salads!

Hehehe, I never make enough to give away!

> I have a LOT of chili petin bushes that grow wild, so I usually vinegar
> those. Goes well on fish.

That sounds really good!

Wayne
Katra

In article >,
Ted Campanelli > wrote:

> Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
> so great) words of knowledge:
>
> It shouldn't be freezing stuff at the back. You will need to keep an
> eye on stuff in the bottom of the fridge (vegetable crispers, etc) since
> cold air sinks down. The crispers tend to get colder than the main unit
> even in new fridges. Pick up a refrigerator thermometer(s) (about $3 -
> $5 ) and put it in the area(s) you are concerned about for freezing.

There are no veggie crispers in a Hobart unit. ;-)
Actually, with the distribution fan it has in it, it should not freeze
stuff in the back, but we've had that problem with our regular
refrigerator in the kitchen!

> Provided the gaskets and insulation in the unit are OK, you won't be
> stressing the compressor (they should be or you would be out looking for
> a new unit by now).

Heh! True!
I make sure the door seals are well cared for!
I'll try turning the thermostat down a bit, but I don't think I'll set
it below 36 maybe.

> The compressor needs to run periodically to maintain the temperature, so
> the only major additional running it is going to do is to get the unit
> down to the temperature initially. Once the temperature is there the
> compressor should not be running any more than it is now, provided you
> do not leave the door open for long periods of time.

I usually only leave doors open for a bit when loading it. I try to be
careful about that! I might consider turning it "off" for cleaning.

Turning a Hobart off is easy! There is an on/off switch next to the
thermostat.

> FWIW - I recently had to purchase a new fridge. Since the new ones use
> a very small motor it takes awhile to get the unit where you want it.
> After about 2 - 3 weeks of "playing", my freezer is at -8 to -10 degrees
> and the upper part of the fridge is at 35 degrees while the crisper
> drawers are at 33 - 34 degrees. When I was in the service (back in the
> 60's) the military standards were to keep the freezers at -10 to -15
> degrees and the "cooler" (refrigerator ) at 34 degrees to provide
> optimum food safety and longevity.

Gotcha. ;-)
Most produce really seems to last well at 38 to 40 degrees with this
unit. Commercial refrigerators rock! All metal racks probably allow for
better cold distribution, plus it has an internal fan. There is a temp.
guage for monitoring it outside of the 'frige on the upper corner.

The main freezer is the big chest freezer. I've honestly never checked
the temp in there, but there is no way to adjust it either. I've never
had food spoil in there tho', just get some freezer burn if kept too
long.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 02 Mar 2005 12:20:54p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > Sounds good!
> > Have you ever tried making a flavored herbal vinigar? I take either
> > apple cider vinegar or plain white vinegar and fresh herbs from the herb
> > garden, washed well, and stuff a jar full of the fresh herbs, then pour
> > the vinegar over them, fill the jar and close it up. I let it soak for a
> > good couple of weeks.

> My favorite that I make and try to keep on hand is made with white wine
> vinegar, a few whole cloves, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fennel seed,
> fresh bay laurel, fresh basil, and fresh marjoram.

ooh sounds rich!

> > Then for decoration, you can take a nice clear wine bottle and put a few
> > long sprigs of fresh herbs in there like rosemary, tarragon, sage, etc.
> > and pour the herbal vinegar into the bottle. Tie a ribbon around the top
> > after replacing the cork.

> Very pretty, indeed! Looks nice in the kitchen.

Yes indeed! I have some next to the stove!
A Chambord bottle is quite nice!

> > Makes a nice gift, or keep it for yourself for salads!

> Hehehe, I never make enough to give away!

Well, if you grow your own herbs (and I nearly always have excess!) it's
an inexpensive gift for your cooking friends! :-)

> > I have a LOT of chili petin bushes that grow wild, so I usually vinegar
> > those. Goes well on fish.

> That sounds really good!

Ooh yes indeed! They are spicy little buggers and I get more than I can
use every year as the bushes are perrenial and native so they just get
bigger every year! My cockatoo is quite happy to get a handful as a
treat regularly when they are in season.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 03 Mar 2005 12:02:21a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 02 Mar 2005 12:20:54p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>> >
>> > Sounds good!
>> > Have you ever tried making a flavored herbal vinigar? I take either
>> > apple cider vinegar or plain white vinegar and fresh herbs from the
>> > herb garden, washed well, and stuff a jar full of the fresh herbs,
>> > then pour the vinegar over them, fill the jar and close it up. I let
>> > it soak for a good couple of weeks.

>> My favorite that I make and try to keep on hand is made with white wine
>> vinegar, a few whole cloves, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fennel seed,
>> fresh bay laurel, fresh basil, and fresh marjoram.

> ooh sounds rich!

I used to buy it as Soleillou Radiant Wine Herb Vinegar, but it hasn't
been available for years, so now I make a very good version of it.

>> > Then for decoration, you can take a nice clear wine bottle and put a
>> > few long sprigs of fresh herbs in there like rosemary, tarragon,
>> > sage, etc. and pour the herbal vinegar into the bottle. Tie a ribbon
>> > around the top after replacing the cork.

>> Very pretty, indeed! Looks nice in the kitchen.

> Yes indeed! I have some next to the stove!
> A Chambord bottle is quite nice!

Oh, those are pretty bottles!

>> > Makes a nice gift, or keep it for yourself for salads!

>> Hehehe, I never make enough to give away!

> Well, if you grow your own herbs (and I nearly always have excess!) it's
> an inexpensive gift for your cooking friends! :-)

Alas, I grow nothing but cactii! Buying enough fresh herbs would be
prohibitive for me.

>> > I have a LOT of chili petin bushes that grow wild, so I usually
>> > vinegar those. Goes well on fish.

>> That sounds really good!

> Ooh yes indeed! They are spicy little buggers and I get more than I can
> use every year as the bushes are perrenial and native so they just get
> bigger every year! My cockatoo is quite happy to get a handful as a
> treat regularly when they are in season.

Hmmm, I had no idea that birds would eat something so spicy, but I don't
know much about birds. My experience is limited to parakeets and canaries
that I had as a child.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Thu 03 Mar 2005 12:02:21a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> >> My favorite that I make and try to keep on hand is made with white wine
> >> vinegar, a few whole cloves, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fennel seed,
> >> fresh bay laurel, fresh basil, and fresh marjoram.

> > ooh sounds rich!

> I used to buy it as Soleillou Radiant Wine Herb Vinegar, but it hasn't
> been available for years, so now I make a very good version of it.

> >> Very pretty, indeed! Looks nice in the kitchen.

> > Yes indeed! I have some next to the stove!
> > A Chambord bottle is quite nice!

> Oh, those are pretty bottles!

Yes. :-)
And the contents are fabulous for baking, or just a little poured over
vanilla ice cream!

> >> Hehehe, I never make enough to give away!

> > Well, if you grow your own herbs (and I nearly always have excess!) it's
> > an inexpensive gift for your cooking friends! :-)

> Alas, I grow nothing but cactii! Buying enough fresh herbs would be
> prohibitive for me.

What kind of cacti?
I'm just getting started on it in my greenhouse and have a nice small
collection of mixed cacti, and several San Pedros. I've also managed to
start some Trichocereus peruvianus from seed. I think I've got at least
50 of those that are nearly an inch tall now. :-) They eventually reach
5 to 6 meters.

Honestly, if you can grow cacti, you can grow herbs! They like warm
temps. Mine are on the West side of the house where they stay fairly
warm during the winter. Most of them are pretty easy as most herbs are
"weeds". <G> Try some rosemary and sage at first. Those are friendly to
a desert environment! So is dittany of crete, a type of oregano.

> >> That sounds really good!

> > Ooh yes indeed! They are spicy little buggers and I get more than I can
> > use every year as the bushes are perrenial and native so they just get
> > bigger every year! My cockatoo is quite happy to get a handful as a
> > treat regularly when they are in season.

> Hmmm, I had no idea that birds would eat something so spicy, but I don't
> know much about birds. My experience is limited to parakeets and canaries
> that I had as a child.

Most parrot food mixes have dried chiles. :-)

Parrots, like humans, don't make their own vitamin C so it needs to be
in their diets. Peppers have vitamin C in them, and parrots love them! I
also give her fresh citrus. Oranges and grapefruits. She loves them!

Most predators (cats and dogs) make their own vitamin C so it does not
need to be supplemented.

Animal health 101. <G>

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

The Joneses

Katra wrote:

> Clipped most of the discussion

> Honestly, if you can grow cacti, you can grow herbs! They like warm
> temps. Mine are on the West side of the house where they stay fairly
> warm during the winter. Most of them are pretty easy as most herbs are
> "weeds". <G> Try some rosemary and sage at first. Those are friendly to
> a desert environment! So is dittany of crete, a type of oregano.

Here in the high desert, we get freezing temps and I have to move some of the more frost tender cacti & succulents indoors in the winter. I've got
chamomile that has reseeded itself many times over in the garden bed. It seems to be very hardy, blooms Feb-May then goes away when the heat moves
in. Dried, it smells so much better than anything you can buy, but it's kinda of a pain to harvest. Chamomile is kinda of a weed, too. My bay, sage,
rosemary, and chives are evergreen, as is the oregano and parsley if we don't get snow.
Edrena

Hahabogus

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Clipped most of the discussion

> > Honestly, if you can grow cacti, you can grow herbs! They like
> > warm temps. Mine are on the West side of the house where they stay
> > fairly warm during the winter. Most of them are pretty easy as
> > most herbs are "weeds". <G> Try some rosemary and sage at first.
> > Those are friendly to a desert environment! So is dittany of
> > crete, a type of oregano.

> Here in the high desert, we get freezing temps and I have to move
> some of the more frost tender cacti & succulents indoors in the
> winter. I've got chamomile that has reseeded itself many times over
> in the garden bed. It seems to be very hardy, blooms Feb-May then
> goes away when the heat moves in. Dried, it smells so much better
> than anything you can buy, but it's kinda of a pain to harvest.
> Chamomile is kinda of a weed, too. My bay, sage, rosemary, and
> chives are evergreen, as is the oregano and parsley if we don't get
> snow. Edrena

I enjoy your posts...but could you fix your line wrap? Say between 70 and
74 characters?

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 03 Mar 2005 11:41:48a, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> What kind of cacti?
> I'm just getting started on it in my greenhouse and have a nice small
> collection of mixed cacti, and several San Pedros. I've also managed to
> start some Trichocereus peruvianus from seed. I think I've got at least
> 50 of those that are nearly an inch tall now. :-) They eventually reach
> 5 to 6 meters.

Uh, don't ask me for the Latin names! :-) We're currently in a rental
house, but we brought all of our specimen pieces from our previously owned
house and will relocate them again next winter when we move into our own
home. We have a 12' saguaro, three varieties of prickly pear, a large
cluster of snowpoles, a totem pole, 2 jumping cholla, 3 teddy bear cholla,
an Arizona barrel, 3 golden barrel, 5 varieties of agaves, and a large
pencil plant (the last two are succulents, I believe). We left behind our
orange, lemon, and limes trees, as well as our several varieties of palms.
Not enough room here, and both the move and interim maintenance would have
been a headache.

> Honestly, if you can grow cacti, you can grow herbs! They like warm
> temps. Mine are on the West side of the house where they stay fairly
> warm during the winter. Most of them are pretty easy as most herbs are
> "weeds". <G> Try some rosemary and sage at first. Those are friendly to
> a desert environment! So is dittany of crete, a type of oregano.
> Most parrot food mixes have dried chiles. :-)

Until we move again, I haven't the space, time, patience, or inclination to
take on an herb garden. Too, while they might like warm temps, our
shadeless 110-115 degree summers might be pushing the envelope. It's
something I'd like to think about when we have our own place and I can
dedicate and customize space for a garden.

> Parrots, like humans, don't make their own vitamin C so it needs to be
> in their diets. Peppers have vitamin C in them, and parrots love them! I
> also give her fresh citrus. Oranges and grapefruits. She loves them!
>
> Most predators (cats and dogs) make their own vitamin C so it does not
> need to be supplemented.
>
> Animal health 101. <G>

Hmmm... I guess I never knew all that. I have owned nothing but cats
(currently 4) over the past 40 years.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974