Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Tilia FoodSaver???

What do I have? I picked up a Tilia food saver this morning at an estate
sale. It doesn't appear to have a model number. It is aprox 24 " wide, 8"
deep and 4" high and heavy. It has the initials "F.L.A.E.M." and in very
small print LR63349. There is a stick on label FS-073553 which I suspect
is serial number. There is a knob on my left and on top of the unit that
transfers the vacuum from internal to external. There is a knob on my right
down on the side that I don't know what it does, it seems to have a number
of settings. There is also a slider on top that I assume is the cutter. It
appears to not have been used much but no manual and I'm not sure how
to make it go.
Anyone have one or can get me going so I don't mess things up experimenting?
RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Abe" > wrote in message

I went there and this one was not listed. The commercial one looks more like
it than any of the others so I downloaded the manual for it. I think the
knob (has settings 1 - 6) that I didn't know about controls the amount of
vacuum.
The one thing that still has me puzzled is a aprox 1" dia plug (it's sealed
air tight with rubber gasket) in the bottom that is removable and there is
some kind of removable item in a cavity under the plug. I'm wondering if
maybe it might hold some kind of filter for the pump.
I may drop Tilia a line, but have a feeling that they won't know about it.
This one was made in Italy.

Thanks for responding, RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rob Mills" > wrote in message
> I may drop Tilia a line, but have a feeling that they won't know about it.
> This one was made in Italy.
>
> Thanks for responding, RM~

They should know if they made it. At one time, all the Tilias were made in
Italy. Could that be a commercial model? Tilia is a subsidiary of Jarden
Corporation. You may have to find the commercial division, not the FoodSaver
consumer division for that model.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

>>> Could that be a commercial model? <<<

That's what I'm thinking, it's a lot heavier than the ones I have seen in
stores but it seems to have the same (jar) accessories. It came from a multi
million $ home, everything in the sale looked quite expensive.

>>>4 =Tilia is a subsidiary of Jarden<<<

I looked there but didn't spend much time, Guess I'll go back and poke
around some more.
The small cavity in the bottom with cage looking insert (it's a weird
looking gizmo) has me stumped, I may open it up and see if I can figure
how/what it's hooked to.

Thanks, RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> You have a Fleam Magic Vac.
> http://www.flaemnuova.it/Magic%20Vac.html

I'll be dog gone. That's what it says below model on the bottom, F.L.A.E.M.
but it's written on the front "FoodSaver" in english. The items in the sale,
art and etc definitely indicated the owners had been world travelers.
Guess I'll just use it and not worry about the gizmo on the bottom as I
don't do Italian and I doubt my Italian brother inlaw does either.
Thanks for the detective work, you should hang a shingle. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Rob Mills wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>

>>You have a Fleam Magic Vac.
>>http://www.flaemnuova.it/Magic%20Vac.html

> I'll be dog gone. That's what it says below model on the bottom, F.L.A.E.M.
> but it's written on the front "FoodSaver" in english. The items in the sale,
> art and etc definitely indicated the owners had been world travelers.
> Guess I'll just use it and not worry about the gizmo on the bottom as I
> don't do Italian and I doubt my Italian brother inlaw does either.
> Thanks for the detective work, you should hang a shingle. RM~

Steve is some kind of mad genius, foodwise

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:33:40 GMT, Reg wrote:
>
>>Steve is some kind of mad genius, foodwise

> Mad? Probably. But genius is probably going a little too far.
>
> But thanks ;-)

Well, I'm not exactly new to the internet (or the subject
of food related equipment) and you managed to find it while
I could not. I was actually writing a search bot at the
time, too.

So I was impressed.

How'd you find it? Internet sleuthing, sheer memory,
or some combination?

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

>>> Is this it or similar?<<<

Exactly! Wow, he paid a bunch if you count shipping which I do. I paid $5
and got two unused rolls of the sleveing and two (wide and standard) jar
attachments, which I'll probably never use.
RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rob Mills" > wrote in message

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>
>and two (wide and standard) jar attachments, which I'll probably never use.
> RM~

Those jar attachments are kinda hany--imo anyway. one good use is to seal
jars with spices etc

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:41:16 GMT, Reg wrote:
>
> > How'd you find it? Internet sleuthing, sheer memory,
> > or some combination?

> You want I should give up all my secrets? OK. I ignored the idea
> that it was any sort of foodsaver, which would have skewed the
> reults.
>
> My 2nd try was after the model # was "F.L.A.E.M vacuum" using
> altavista.com rather than Google - Google would have condensed
> "F.L.A.E.M" to "flaem", even in quotes - which is another reason
> why I hate Google.

Altavista in my search engine of choice as well. I always get better
results there than any of the much hyped "spam engines".

> Have I mentioned I hate Tilia, too? Here's another article
> regarding lawsuits by Tilia:
> http://www.imakenews.com/bakerbotts/...e000215236.cfm

Dunno, just sounds like they are trying to protect their product. May or
may not have merits, but at least they are referencing a patent for a
product they actually produce which is far better than the scam-like
patent holding companies that exist to do nothing but buy patents and
produce lawsuits.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 20:51:53 -0600, Rob Mills wrote:

> Here's a site that may be able to help you with instructions
> and/or parts: http://www.pmgquality.com/ Unfortunately, the page
> for your model seems to be broken (unclickable).

Now that's great, mine is the 2nd one from the top and it opened for me,
http://web.iwebcenters.com/professio...ng/Nozzel.ivnu

It even explains the gizmo on the bottom (I can sleep now) and has a U.S
source for parts should I need any but so far it looks like all systems are
go. I was really surprised that the rubber and foam seals all appear to be
fine. I picked up a set of stereo speakers at the same sale which also
appear to have been unused for years and am going to have to re-foam
the woofers on them due to age but will be well worth the effort.

Thanks a lot Steve, You Did Good, RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Feb-2007, "Rob Mills" > wrote:

> Exactly! Wow, he paid a bunch if you count shipping which
> I do. I paid $5
> and got two unused rolls of the sleveing and two (wide and
> standard) jar
> attachments, which I'll probably never use.
> RM~

I often make my own breadcrumbs and then pack them in
vacuum (mason) jars Rob. Also, you can vastly extend the
life of spices by vac-packing them. Jars are convenient for
that purpose and of course are reuseable indefinitely. Oh,
I forgot to mention freezing the vac-packed jars. I freeze
my bulk spices even if I don't vac-pack them.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Feb-2007, "Rob Mills" > wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 20:51:53 -0600, Rob Mills wrote:

> > Here's a site that may be able to help you with
> > instructions
> > and/or parts: http://www.pmgquality.com/
> > Unfortunately, the page
> > for your model seems to be broken (unclickable).

> Now that's great, mine is the 2nd one from the top and it
> opened for me,
> http://web.iwebcenters.com/professio...ng/Nozzel.ivnu
>
> It even explains the gizmo on the bottom (I can sleep now)
> and has a U.S
> source for parts should I need any but so far it looks
> like all systems are
> go. I was really surprised that the rubber and foam seals
> all appear to be
> fine. I picked up a set of stereo speakers at the same
> sale which also
> appear to have been unused for years and am going to have
> to re-foam
> the woofers on them due to age but will be well worth the
> effort.
>
> Thanks a lot Steve, You Did Good, RM~

My machine is the one pictured third from the top. The mgr
embossing on the bottom proclaims it to be TILIA/F.L.A.E.M
and made in Italy. The top of the machine proudly proclaims
it
to be a FOODSAVER II.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> I freeze my bulk spices even if I don't vac-pack them.<<<

I may try them, I do buy a few bulk spices. My biggest need is to re-package
meats, I buy steaks and etc from a wholesale dealer by the case so need to
re-package them for the two of us . It was just by chance stumbling on to
the Foodsaver as we had been looking at the different models, in fact I had
just looked at them in a local store the day before I found this one. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rob Mills" > wrote in message
I picked up a set of stereo speakers at the same sale which also
> appear to have been unused for years and am going to have to re-foam
> the woofers on them due to age but will be well worth the effort.

Advent loudspeakers? I've re-foamed a few of those (pardon the thread-jack)
... Brian

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brian D." > wrote in message

>>> Advent loudspeakers? I've re-foamed a few of those (pardon the
>>> thread-jack)<<<

These were an old set of Infinity SM-112 three way floor models, looked
brand new. My old Sansui is gonna luv them. Cost me $20. I'm thinking about
putting my old set out under a covered patio so I can hear that Nashville
sound while I'm doing my thing at the grill. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-02-10, Rob Mills > wrote:

> wrote in message
> . ..

> I may try them, I do buy a few bulk spices. My biggest need is to re-package
> meats, I buy steaks and etc from a wholesale dealer by the case so need to
> re-package them for the two of us . It was just by chance stumbling on to
> the Foodsaver as we had been looking at the different models, in fact I had
> just looked at them in a local store the day before I found this one. RM~

So.. How do you like it so far? I gather you like it.. Anyway, I've got an
older "true" Tilia (aka a piece of crap) and have been hemming & hawing for
quite some time on a replacement that's non-tilia.. I guess I'm wondering about
getting the Italian' (flaem's) company's current offering -- the Magic Vac..
Anyone have one of their current models and like it (or not)?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rick F." > wrote in message

>>> So.. How do you like it so far? I gather you like it<<<

So far have not really used it yet. I have only checked the vacuum and it's
great. It's been stored for a long time and the foam lid seal needs to be
replaced. I'm fixing to order a seal kit ($15) from the outfit in Washington
state. Last night I flushed it with some warm water (it's one of the few
that can be flushed with water) and removed the bottom to see if anything
else needed any attention. Everything looked fine (actually it doesn't
appear to have been used) and I was very impressed with the build quality,
the pump is a hog, no wonder it weighs 3 times as much as the foodsavers
I have seen in the stores.
So far I'm very happy with my purchase but will post back once I get it
sealed and actually use it. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-02-13, Rob Mills > wrote:

> So far have not really used it yet. I have only checked the vacuum and it's
> great. It's been stored for a long time and the foam lid seal needs to be
> replaced. I'm fixing to order a seal kit ($15) from the outfit in Washington
> state. Last night I flushed it with some warm water (it's one of the few
> that can be flushed with water) and removed the bottom to see if anything
> else needed any attention. Everything looked fine (actually it doesn't
> appear to have been used) and I was very impressed with the build quality,
> the pump is a hog, no wonder it weighs 3 times as much as the foodsavers
> I have seen in the stores.
> So far I'm very happy with my purchase but will post back once I get it
> sealed and actually use it. RM~

sounds like you got a great deal if you can still get parts for it!
In light of what I've learned from this thread, I'll be looking closer at the
FlaemNuova's Mighty Vac line closer (specifically the Maxima) and the Omcan
MT500.. They're certainly a bit more pricey than a typical Tilia, but if
they'll outlast one that's what matters. The Omcan MT500 weighs in at 22lb
-- not sure how that stacks up with yours.. It's bigger brother (the MT1000)
weighs in at 50lb and has a filter system that I gather you can clean -- too
much for my needs.. Cool none-the-less..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rick F." > wrote in message

>>> sounds like you got a great deal if you can still get parts for it!<<<

Once I get the new foam it should last a long time as it appears to not have
been used very much. They do seem to have all the major parts still
available but pricey. We probably won't use it a whole lot either, more or
less just want to re-package meat items as we buy mostly in bulk. The nest
has been emptied so we need most items frozen for two.
Not sure about the weight but would guess about 15 lbs. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rick F." > wrote in message

I guess I'm wondering about
> getting the Italian' (flaem's) company's current offering -- the Magic
> Vac..
> Anyone have one of their current models and like it (or not)?

I'd consider one. They are approved by Federazione Italiana Cuochi so they
must be good

Aside from Ebay, do you know of any US sources? Flaem's web site does not
give distributors or dealers.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...

>>> Federazione Italiana Cuochi <<<

Now that's a mouth full.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-02-14, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> "Rick F." > wrote in message
>>

> I guess I'm wondering about
>> getting the Italian' (flaem's) company's current offering -- the Magic
>> Vac..
>> Anyone have one of their current models and like it (or not)?
>>

> I'd consider one. They are approved by Federazione Italiana Cuochi so they
> must be good

I was trying to weed my way through their site as well.. I was able to get
into their e-store, but didn't see prices.. But then again, I don't speak or
read I-talian..

> Aside from Ebay, do you know of any US sources? Flaem's web site does not
> give distributors or dealers.

I found several places on the web that appear to be selling the MagicVac Maxima
model including the following :

http://www.profmarket.com/maxima.htm (in Washington state)
http://kodiakhealth.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/2681 (in Idaho)

It seems to go for about $300 give or take.. The thing that bothers me is that
some of the sites have REALLY old pictures of this unit that no longer match
the pic on the Italian site -- I'd want to make sure that they're not selling
old stock or something. I believe the KodiakHealth site above seems to have the
same photo that the Italian site has when I checked yesterday. YMMV.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rick F." > wrote in message

>>> But then again, I don't speak or read I-talian..<<<

Not sure which as I've browsed through so many but one of the Italian sites
I was in had a very small icon of a British flag at the top of page
(un-marked and all most un-noticeable) that when clicked converted the site
to English. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rick F." > wrote in message

> I found several places on the web that appear to be selling the MagicVac
> Maxima
> model including the following :
>
> http://www.profmarket.com/maxima.htm (in Washington state)
> http://kodiakhealth.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/2681 (in
> Idaho)
>
> It seems to go for about $300 give or take..

They give the product weight as 11 pounds. I don't think the Tilia is half
that. Perhaps it is a heavier duty machine.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> . net...

> Now that's a mouth full.

Yess Sirr, Said that the last time I hit my finger with the hammer!
Piedmont
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Tilia FoodSaver???/update

I received my seal kit for my Vacupack today from Professional Marketing
(www.vacuumpackers.com) just 8 days after I dropped a check and order form
in the mail box. I thought that was pretty fast being that I sent a check as
payment. They also enclosed a tip sheet (for my model) and an 800 number for
any questions that I might have. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
news
> Their Micro-Layer bags seem to imply they'll work with Tilias.
> Anybody ever tried this brand?

Are their bags/rolls cheaper than Tilias? I haven't even got around to
checking on bags and etc. I got two un-opened rolls with my estate deal but
would think that pre-made bags would be a lot simpler.
I have noticed that Kohl's carries a full line of Tilia stuff and they give
seniors (dats me) 15% off of all purchases every Wednesday. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rob Mills" > wrote in message

> Are their bags/rolls cheaper than Tilias? I haven't even got around to
> checking on bags and etc. I got two un-opened rolls with my estate deal
> but
> would think that pre-made bags would be a lot simpler.

Pre-made is simpler, but more expensive. Rolls give more flexibility of
size and allow you to make oversize to get more re-uses out of them.