Sheldon

Katra wrote:
> Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
> they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)
>
> I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
> Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished

> going bad in no time!
>
> I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally

> bought one.
>
> Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.
>
> It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :-) No

turning
> brown.

They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.

http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...-selection.php

Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
days.

To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.

If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
the top, browned layer.

When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
dips.

Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
of headspace.
Seal and label the containers.
Freeze and use within four to five months.
---

Sheldon