Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The great pumpkin pasta experiment

Being curious and on a homemade pasta kick right now I decided to make pumpkin
pasta. No recipe, just me and my adventurous spirit.

Into the stand mixer went 1 pound of flour (14 ounces bread flour, 2 ounces
semolina) a can of pumpkin, a tsp of allspice, some ginger, cinnamon, cardamom
and a pinch of salt. I mixed it up and let it rest for about 30 minutes.

Then I discovered that it was too wet (duuurrrrr). I added a lot more flour
and mixed it in the mixer and let it rest again.

It was still a bit wet when I went to roll it but not as bad. I just made sure
to dust well with flour before each rolling and that helped immensely.

The sauce was apples and kale sauteed in butter with sage, garlic, fennel seed
and allspice.

I'm a little irritated with myself for overcooking the pasta by just a minute,
but it makes all the difference in the world.

It tasted delicious even if it was a bit mushy.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> Being curious and on a homemade pasta kick right now I decided to make
> pumpkin
> pasta. No recipe, just me and my adventurous spirit.
>
> Into the stand mixer went 1 pound of flour (14 ounces bread flour, 2
> ounces
> semolina) a can of pumpkin, a tsp of allspice, some ginger, cinnamon,
> cardamom
> and a pinch of salt. I mixed it up and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
>
> Then I discovered that it was too wet (duuurrrrr). I added a lot more
> flour
> and mixed it in the mixer and let it rest again.
>
> It was still a bit wet when I went to roll it but not as bad. I just made
> sure
> to dust well with flour before each rolling and that helped immensely.
>
> The sauce was apples and kale sauteed in butter with sage, garlic, fennel
> seed
> and allspice.
>
> I'm a little irritated with myself for overcooking the pasta by just a
> minute,
> but it makes all the difference in the world.
>
> It tasted delicious even if it was a bit mushy.

It sounds lovely! I think I would have gone more savory, less "pumpkin
pie", but that's just one of those YMMV thangs. I admire your adventurous
spirit, and the sauce sounds especially appealling. For myself, a
non-vegetarian, I would have added some ham, I think, or perhaps some bacon,
but my recollection is that you have vegivores to feed! As for the
adventurous part, I'm the same sometimes, with some things. Having made a
mess of pasta before, I recommend consulting a few sources for proportions.
But you know that !! :-) Good on you, Bubbo, I enjoy reading of your
adventures...

TammyM, a Sacramentan in San Diego at the moment

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> It sounds lovely! I think I would have gone more savory, less "pumpkin
> pie", but that's just one of those YMMV thangs. I admire your adventurous
> spirit, and the sauce sounds especially appealling. For myself, a
> non-vegetarian, I would have added some ham, I think, or perhaps some bacon,
> but my recollection is that you have vegivores to feed! As for the
> adventurous part, I'm the same sometimes, with some things. Having made a
> mess of pasta before, I recommend consulting a few sources for proportions.
> But you know that !! :-) Good on you, Bubbo, I enjoy reading of your
> adventures...
>
> TammyM, a Sacramentan in San Diego at the moment

I think ham would have been nice. David is my vegivore (yay! good word) but
I'm finding that I am eating less and less meat as time goes on and I just
don't crave it that often, though I did have an episode last month where I
craved beef like nobody's business, i bought a steak, seared the outside
briefly and ate it practically raw. dang.

I still have half the dough left and I am thinking of doing it up with a
gorgonzola, pear and hazelnut sauce.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This sounds incredible!

On Oct 30, 9:50 pm, The Bubbo > wrote:
> Being curious and on a homemade pasta kick right now I decided to make pumpkin
> pasta. No recipe, just me and my adventurous spirit.
>
> Into the stand mixer went 1 pound of flour (14 ounces bread flour, 2 ounces
> semolina) a can of pumpkin, a tsp of allspice, some ginger, cinnamon, cardamom
> and a pinch of salt. I mixed it up and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
>
> Then I discovered that it was too wet (duuurrrrr). I added a lot more flour
> and mixed it in the mixer and let it rest again.
>
> It was still a bit wet when I went to roll it but not as bad. I just made sure
> to dust well with flour before each rolling and that helped immensely.
>
> The sauce was apples and kale sauteed in butter with sage, garlic, fennel seed
> and allspice.
>
> I'm a little irritated with myself for overcooking the pasta by just a minute,
> but it makes all the difference in the world.
>
> It tasted delicious even if it was a bit mushy.
>
> --
> .:Heather:.www.velvet-c.com
> I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
> by your mom's house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:
> Being curious and on a homemade pasta kick right now I decided to make

pumpkin
> pasta. No recipe, just me and my adventurous spirit.
>
> Into the stand mixer went 1 pound of flour (14 ounces bread flour, 2 ounces
> semolina) a can of pumpkin, a tsp of allspice, some ginger, cinnamon,

cardamom
> and a pinch of salt. I mixed it up and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
>
> Then I discovered that it was too wet (duuurrrrr). I added a lot more flour
> and mixed it in the mixer and let it rest again.
>
> It was still a bit wet when I went to roll it but not as bad. I just made

sure
> to dust well with flour before each rolling and that helped immensely.
>
> The sauce was apples and kale sauteed in butter with sage, garlic, fennel

seed
> and allspice.
>
> I'm a little irritated with myself for overcooking the pasta by just a

minute,
> but it makes all the difference in the world.
>
> It tasted delicious even if it was a bit mushy.

I still had half the dough left from the other night. Tonight I rolled itout
and cut it into wiiiide chow fun noodles. I made a stir fry with veggies,
garlic black bean sauce, ginger juice and sriracha. Boiled up the noodles and
dumped them into the stir fry and we had that for dinner. double delicious AND
I didn't overcook the noodles this time. Yum.