Scotty

Default Electric roasters

I have a smallish built in oven and a Jennaire range with only three
burners. I bought an 18 quart electric roaster to supplement my capacity,
(we're having 17 for christmas dinner). I've read how these roasters won't
brown your bird, so I tried a chicken, and I basted it with a mixture of Lee
& Perrins and dark soy, with some sugar cooked in. I basted it a half hour
before it was done. It looked almost as pretty as an oven roasted bird, but
was twice as juicy. Anyone else try these things?

Scott

zxcvbob

Scotty wrote:
> I have a smallish built in oven and a Jennaire range with only three
> burners. I bought an 18 quart electric roaster to supplement my capacity,
> (we're having 17 for christmas dinner). I've read how these roasters won't
> brown your bird, so I tried a chicken, and I basted it with a mixture of Lee
> & Perrins and dark soy, with some sugar cooked in. I basted it a half hour
> before it was done. It looked almost as pretty as an oven roasted bird, but
> was twice as juicy. Anyone else try these things?
>
> Scott

I have a 18 quart Nesco and a smaller (9 quart?) Rival. I roasted the
Thanksgiving turkey in the 18, and it was done over an hour early --
even though it was stuffed. I turned the roaster down to about 175 and
held the turkey until we were ready for it. It was juicy and delicious
even though it was overcooked because it snuck up on me.

Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that with a
heat gun.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Scotty wrote:
> I have a smallish built in oven and a Jennaire range with only three
> burners. I bought an 18 quart electric roaster to supplement my capacity,
> (we're having 17 for christmas dinner). I've read how these roasters won't
> brown your bird, so I tried a chicken, and I basted it with a mixture of Lee
> & Perrins and dark soy, with some sugar cooked in. I basted it a half hour
> before it was done. It looked almost as pretty as an oven roasted bird, but
> was twice as juicy. Anyone else try these things?
>
> Scott

I have a 18 quart Nesco and a smaller (9 quart?) Rival. I roasted the
Thanksgiving turkey in the 18, and it was done over an hour early --
even though it was stuffed. I turned the roaster down to about 175 and
held the turkey until we were ready for it. It was juicy and delicious
even though it was overcooked because it snuck up on me.

Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that with a
heat gun.

Best regards,
Bob
yodels

I love my roaster....My turkey got pretty browned this year with no
real problems...
zxcvbob wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
> > I have a smallish built in oven and a Jennaire range with only

three
> > burners. I bought an 18 quart electric roaster to supplement my

capacity,
> > (we're having 17 for christmas dinner). I've read how these

roasters won't
> > brown your bird, so I tried a chicken, and I basted it with a

mixture of Lee
> > & Perrins and dark soy, with some sugar cooked in. I basted it a

half hour
> > before it was done. It looked almost as pretty as an oven roasted

bird, but
> > was twice as juicy. Anyone else try these things?
> >
> > Scott
> >

> I have a 18 quart Nesco and a smaller (9 quart?) Rival. I roasted

the
> Thanksgiving turkey in the 18, and it was done over an hour early --
> even though it was stuffed. I turned the roaster down to about 175

and
> held the turkey until we were ready for it. It was juicy and

delicious
> even though it was overcooked because it snuck up on me.
>
> Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that with

> heat gun.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

yodels

zxcvbob wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
> > I have a smallish built in oven and a Jennaire range with only

three
> > burners. I bought an 18 quart electric roaster to supplement my

capacity,
> > (we're having 17 for christmas dinner). I've read how these

roasters won't
> > brown your bird, so I tried a chicken, and I basted it with a

mixture of Lee
> > & Perrins and dark soy, with some sugar cooked in. I basted it a

half hour
> > before it was done. It looked almost as pretty as an oven roasted

bird, but
> > was twice as juicy. Anyone else try these things?
> >
> > Scott
> >

> I have a 18 quart Nesco and a smaller (9 quart?) Rival. I roasted

the
> Thanksgiving turkey in the 18, and it was done over an hour early --
> even though it was stuffed. I turned the roaster down to about 175

and
> held the turkey until we were ready for it. It was juicy and

delicious
> even though it was overcooked because it snuck up on me.
>
> Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that with

> heat gun.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

hw

Target had one of these on sale last month...got the 20 quart plus a small 1
quart unit to heat the gravy. I also tried it with a chicken, not stuffed.
I'm working the graveyard shift on New Year's Eve, and we're having a
potluck...I'm gonna take a turkey and cook it in the roaster at work, in the
break room. I'm going to try the Lea & Perrins, it sounds good for
browning. Did your bird have the soy taste on the skin?

Harriet & critters ( J J the world famous jack russell terrior; P K the lady
manx who rules the house)

> brown your bird, so I tried a chicken, and I basted it with a mixture of
> Lee & Perrins and dark soy, with some sugar cooked in. I basted it a half
> hour before it was done. It looked almost as pretty as an oven roasted
> bird, but was twice as juicy. Anyone else try these things?
>
> Scott

hw

Target had one of these on sale last month...got the 20 quart plus a small 1
quart unit to heat the gravy. I also tried it with a chicken, not stuffed.
I'm working the graveyard shift on New Year's Eve, and we're having a
potluck...I'm gonna take a turkey and cook it in the roaster at work, in the
break room. I'm going to try the Lea & Perrins, it sounds good for
browning. Did your bird have the soy taste on the skin?

Harriet & critters ( J J the world famous jack russell terrior; P K the lady
manx who rules the house)

> brown your bird, so I tried a chicken, and I basted it with a mixture of
> Lee & Perrins and dark soy, with some sugar cooked in. I basted it a half
> hour before it was done. It looked almost as pretty as an oven roasted
> bird, but was twice as juicy. Anyone else try these things?
>
> Scott

Scotty

"hw" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Target had one of these on sale last month...got the 20 quart plus a small
> 1 quart unit to heat the gravy. I also tried it with a chicken, not
> stuffed. I'm working the graveyard shift on New Year's Eve, and we're
> having a potluck...I'm gonna take a turkey and cook it in the roaster at
> work, in the break room. I'm going to try the Lea & Perrins, it sounds
> good for browning. Did your bird have the soy taste on the skin?

No, it was just for browning. When I slice a turkey, I don't usually put a
lot of skin on the plate. It might have been a little more salty than an
oven cooked bird, but not enough that most people would notice. The colour
was pretty good, though, for anyone that happened through the kitchen.

Scott.

Scotty

"hw" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Target had one of these on sale last month...got the 20 quart plus a small
> 1 quart unit to heat the gravy. I also tried it with a chicken, not
> stuffed. I'm working the graveyard shift on New Year's Eve, and we're
> having a potluck...I'm gonna take a turkey and cook it in the roaster at
> work, in the break room. I'm going to try the Lea & Perrins, it sounds
> good for browning. Did your bird have the soy taste on the skin?

No, it was just for browning. When I slice a turkey, I don't usually put a
lot of skin on the plate. It might have been a little more salty than an
oven cooked bird, but not enough that most people would notice. The colour
was pretty good, though, for anyone that happened through the kitchen.

Scott.

blake murphy

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:21:34 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that with a
>heat gun.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob

i'm not sure what you mean by 'heat gun.' a blowtorch?

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

wrote:

>Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that with a
>heat gun.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob

i'm not sure what you mean by 'heat gun.' a blowtorch?

your pal,
blake
Ken Davey

blake murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:21:34 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>>
>> Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that
>> with a heat gun.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob

> i'm not sure what you mean by 'heat gun.' a blowtorch?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Think hand-held convection oven with 'attitude'.
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Ken Davey

blake murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:21:34 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>>
>> Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that
>> with a heat gun.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob

> i'm not sure what you mean by 'heat gun.' a blowtorch?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Think hand-held convection oven with 'attitude'.
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

Hahabogus

blake murphy > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:21:34 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
> >
> >Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that
> >with a heat gun.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Bob

> i'm not sure what you mean by 'heat gun.' a blowtorch?
>
> your pal,
> blake

A tool that produces air hot enough to strip paint. It looks somewhat
like a old style blow dryer.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Hahabogus

blake murphy > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:21:34 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
> >
> >Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that
> >with a heat gun.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Bob

> i'm not sure what you mean by 'heat gun.' a blowtorch?
>
> your pal,
> blake

A tool that produces air hot enough to strip paint. It looks somewhat
like a old style blow dryer.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl

Rich

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:21:34 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>>
>>Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that with a
>>heat gun.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> i'm not sure what you mean by 'heat gun.' a blowtorch?
>
> your pal,
> blake

http://tinyurl.com/4bkha

--Rich

Rich

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:21:34 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>>
>>Everything was browned nicely except the breast. I browned that with a
>>heat gun.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> i'm not sure what you mean by 'heat gun.' a blowtorch?
>
> your pal,
> blake

http://tinyurl.com/4bkha

--Rich

Any DIY coffee roasters in the DC or NoVA area? [email protected] General Cooking 2 11-11-2014 10:57 PM
Nut roasters? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 30-06-2009 10:19 PM
The Roasters are Back!!! Christine Dabney General Cooking 3 27-07-2007 11:57 AM
roasters higgledy General Cooking 20 20-11-2006 04:43 PM
Oval covered Roasters Doug Weller General Cooking 12 07-10-2005 06:59 PM