Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default roasters

When cooking a turkey, do I use a covered roaster or a uncovered
roaster?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"higgledy" > wrote:

> When cooking a turkey, do I use a covered roaster or a uncovered
> roaster?

Uncovered if you're roasting it; covered if you're steaming it. I
roast on a rack in an open shallow pan and tent with foil if things look
too brown (they almost never do).
jennie-o.com
butterball.com
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"higgledy" > wrote in
oups.com:

> When cooking a turkey, do I use a covered roaster or a uncovered
> roaster?

I don't know which one you use but I've used those cooking bags for
years. Never had a bad cookked turkey using the cooking bags.
I don't buy the most expensive turkeys either. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"higgledy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> When cooking a turkey, do I use a covered roaster or a uncovered
> roaster?

I roast uncovered on about 450 degrees F for the first 15 minutes to brown
it and get that good brown flavor all the way through, then cover it and
turn the heat down to 325.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

cybercat wrote:
> "higgledy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > When cooking a turkey, do I use a covered roaster or a uncovered
> > roaster?
> >

> I roast uncovered on about 450 degrees F for the first 15 minutes to brown
> it and get that good brown flavor all the way through, then cover it and
> turn the heat down to 325.

Moi too. I put a bit of water in the pan. That's how me Momma learned
me.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>> "higgledy" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > When cooking a turkey, do I use a covered roaster or a uncovered
>> > roaster?
>> >

>> I roast uncovered on about 450 degrees F for the first 15 minutes to
>> brown
>> it and get that good brown flavor all the way through, then cover it and
>> turn the heat down to 325.

> Moi too. I put a bit of water in the pan. That's how me Momma learned
> me.

We are so much alike in so many ways. No wonder we fought like
Mountain lions.

Really, I think it makes for moist, flavorful bird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

cybercat wrote:
> We are so much alike in so many ways. No wonder we fought like
> Mountain lions.

LOL...
Oh, but it was a good fight! We probably have some people thinking we
are psychophrenic.

> Really, I think it makes for moist, flavorful bird.

Yes - simply delicious....as J learned to exclaim today. Everything was
"delicious!"

How long do you cook yours? My 18 lb bird will go about 4.5 hours at
325. (15 min/lb) I will do a oil rub with black pepper first. That's
about all I add.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote

> Yes - simply delicious....as J learned to exclaim today. Everything was
> "delicious!"

So cute. I bet he has an adorable voice. I hope you record him!

> How long do you cook yours? My 18 lb bird will go about 4.5 hours at
> 325. (15 min/lb) I will do a oil rub with black pepper first. That's
> about all I add.

I do mine 20 minutes a pound, and I do not add oil to the skin, as I find
poultry has enough fat. I just pour a bit of water on, then baste every half
hour
or so. I put crushed rosemary in the body cavity, and an onion cut in
quarters.
(Never did that with chicken until recently but always with turkey!) I do
salt and
pepper the bird beforehand. I love cornbread stuffing. And it has to have
real butter!

I used to always stuff the bird, as my mother always did. There is just
nothing
like "in-bird" stuffing, the juices from the bird make it so good. But my
husband's
anal retentive mother has drummed it into him that this is not safe. Ugh.
Like
300+ years of cooks could be wrong! I use a gd MEAT thermometer, FFS!

Hahaha, must be time for bed, I am bitching about my MIL.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

cybercat wrote:

> I do mine 20 minutes a pound, and I do not add oil to the skin, as I find
> poultry has enough fat. I just pour a bit of water on, then baste every half
> hour
> or so. I put crushed rosemary in the body cavity, and an onion cut in
> quarters.
> (Never did that with chicken until recently but always with turkey!) I do
> salt and
> pepper the bird beforehand. I love cornbread stuffing. And it has to have
> real butter!

Sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe? I make regular bread dressing
in a pan with vegetables and meat (turkey).

> I used to always stuff the bird, as my mother always did. There is just
> nothing
> like "in-bird" stuffing, the juices from the bird make it so good. But my
> husband's
> anal retentive mother has drummed it into him that this is not safe. Ugh.
> Like
> 300+ years of cooks could be wrong! I use a gd MEAT thermometer, FFS!

LOL...

> Hahaha, must be time for bed, I am bitching about my MIL.

That's why I live 2500 miles away from mine!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for the responses. The reason I am asking is because I hosting
Thanksgiving this year and need to buy a roaster. My mom always cooked
our bird covered but all the chefs on the cooking shows use the
shallow, open roasting pan. This all confuses me as to which will get
me the best tasting bird. My mom's was always kind of dry --but they be
mom's fault I don't know. I guess I need to ask which roaster is more
fool-proof?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"higgledy" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Thanks for the responses. The reason I am asking is because I hosting
> Thanksgiving this year and need to buy a roaster. My mom always cooked
> our bird covered but all the chefs on the cooking shows use the
> shallow, open roasting pan. This all confuses me as to which will get
> me the best tasting bird. My mom's was always kind of dry --but they be
> mom's fault I don't know. I guess I need to ask which roaster is more
> fool-proof?

I use one of those big black covered speckled things. It used
to be my MILS. They are cheap and it is nice to have the cover.
You can always leave it off. One reason to have a deep roaster:
the juices/fat will not splatter out into your oven.

http://tinyurl.com/ye5e8u

One thing nobody told me early on, that I should have known:
When you put your bird in the roaster, put a couple of cups of
water in the bottom to keep the drippings from burning. You want
them nice and brown but not burned and dried out, because you
may want gravy and you don't want to ruin your roaster or make
it really hard to clean. Also, buy a rack--just a wire thing that looks
like the racks in your oven--to place in the roaster under your bird,
so the bottom does not stick.

http://tinyurl.com/ybrrnf

If you try the "uncovered on 450 for 15 minutes, then covered
at 20 minutes a pound on 350" I guarantee you tasty, moist bird
with a brown beautiful skin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Nov 2006 10:26:25 -0800, "higgledy" > wrote:

>This all confuses me as to which will get
>me the best tasting bird. My mom's was always kind of dry --but they be
>mom's fault I don't know.

One thing I heartily recommend is to get an instant read thermometer,
or one of the digital probe thermometers.
Chances are that your mother cooked the turkey too long, to the
recommended temperature of the day, thus insuring very dry breast
meat. Nowadays, the recommended temperature is 165 degrees. You can
preprogram that digital thermometer to beep off at that temperature.

I also put a butter soaked cheeseclothe over the breast til the last
part of the roasting, then remove it for the last 30 minutes or so.
Another trick is to start your turkey breast side down for about 30
minutes, then turn it right side up for the rest of the cooking.

Others might have really good suggestions for you.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 12:10:19 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On 19 Nov 2006 10:26:25 -0800, "higgledy" > wrote:
>
>>This all confuses me as to which will get
>>me the best tasting bird. My mom's was always kind of dry --but they be
>>mom's fault I don't know.

>One thing I heartily recommend is to get an instant read thermometer,
>or one of the digital probe thermometers.
>Chances are that your mother cooked the turkey too long, to the
>recommended temperature of the day, thus insuring very dry breast
>meat. Nowadays, the recommended temperature is 165 degrees. You can
>preprogram that digital thermometer to beep off at that temperature.
>
>I also put a butter soaked cheeseclothe over the breast til the last
>part of the roasting, then remove it for the last 30 minutes or so.
>Another trick is to start your turkey breast side down for about 30
>minutes, then turn it right side up for the rest of the cooking.
>
>Others might have really good suggestions for you.
>
>Christine

Do not truss the bird. It is ok to bend back the wings, but do not tie
the legs and tail together. The dark meat gets cooked quicker that
way, before the breast gets overdone.

I do not use a thermometer to test for it being done, either. I
wiggle the drumstick and if it has easy give the bird is done, and/or
I poke the thickest part of the thigh with a fork and catch the
running juices in a spoon. If they run clear, the bird is done.

And I cook it stuffed. 350 degrees, basted with Wishbone Italian
dressing and sprinkled with paprika, foil tent as soon as it browns.
To be truly honest, I have never had a dry turkey, whether is it fresh
or frozen, supermarket or farm bought, brined or plain. If that sucker
is in there long enough for one of those red pop-up thermometers to
spring, it is overdone, I guarantee it.

I usually make an 16-20 lb bird.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:38:28 -0500, cybercat wrote:
>
>> I use one of those big black covered speckled things.

> That's what I've been using for turkey in the oven for 35 years.
> Same one.
>
> They don't make them like they used to. I bought another one a
> few years ago but it wasn't the same. The enamel cracked and
> started to in the cracks. I stole the old one back from my
> mother's garage when she was out of town.

Yep, it is enamel, that is the word for it. I love it. My MIL no
longer cooks, and doesn't want to store it so I guess it is MINE
now. I share my cooking with her, so it works out.

Today I am doing a fresh turkey, it will be done about 7. Very
nice-looking bird, just 12 lbs, so the smallest one I have made.
And a little six-pound picnic ham. Very managable. I sealed it
with foil and stuck it with cloves, and will put on a brown sugar
glaze at the end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:34:05 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:38:28 -0500, cybercat wrote:
>>
>>> I use one of those big black covered speckled things.

>> That's what I've been using for turkey in the oven for 35 years.
>> Same one.
>>
>> They don't make them like they used to. I bought another one a
>> few years ago but it wasn't the same. The enamel cracked and
>> started to in the cracks. I stole the old one back from my
>> mother's garage when she was out of town.
>>

>Yep, it is enamel, that is the word for it. I love it. My MIL no
>longer cooks, and doesn't want to store it so I guess it is MINE
>now. I share my cooking with her, so it works out.
>
>Today I am doing a fresh turkey, it will be done about 7. Very
>nice-looking bird, just 12 lbs, so the smallest one I have made.
>And a little six-pound picnic ham. Very managable. I sealed it
>with foil and stuck it with cloves, and will put on a brown sugar
>glaze at the end.

I hace a pic of my turkey, I would like for you to see it. Where can I
poist it?

How about alt.troll?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lamey" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:34:05 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:

>>> That's what I've been using for turkey in the oven for 35 years.
>>> Same one.
>>>
>>> They don't make them like they used to. I bought another one a
>>> few years ago but it wasn't the same. The enamel cracked and
>>> started to in the cracks. I stole the old one back from my
>>> mother's garage when she was out of town.
>>>

>>Yep, it is enamel, that is the word for it. I love it. My MIL no
>>longer cooks, and doesn't want to store it so I guess it is MINE
>>now. I share my cooking with her, so it works out.
>>
>>Today I am doing a fresh turkey, it will be done about 7. Very
>>nice-looking bird, just 12 lbs, so the smallest one I have made.
>>And a little six-pound picnic ham. Very managable. I sealed it
>>with foil and stuck it with cloves, and will put on a brown sugar
>>glaze at the end.
>>

> I hace a pic of my turkey, I would like for you to see it. Where can I
> poist it?
>
> How about alt.troll?

Okay! I will go look at it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:02:28 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Lamey" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:34:05 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>>Yep, it is enamel, that is the word for it. I love it. My MIL no
>>>longer cooks, and doesn't want to store it so I guess it is MINE
>>>now. I share my cooking with her, so it works out.
>>>
>>>Today I am doing a fresh turkey, it will be done about 7. Very
>>>nice-looking bird, just 12 lbs, so the smallest one I have made.
>>>And a little six-pound picnic ham. Very managable. I sealed it
>>>with foil and stuck it with cloves, and will put on a brown sugar
>>>glaze at the end.
>>>

>> I hace a pic of my turkey, I would like for you to see it. Where can I
>> poist it?
>>
>> How about alt.troll?
>>

>Okay! I will go look at it!

Did ya find it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lamey" > wrote
> Did ya find it?

Nope! I looked, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:29:10 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Lamey" > wrote
>> Did ya find it?
>>

>Nope! I looked, too.

Hmm! Go to alt.binaries.buzzard

It's be in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

higgledy wrote:
> Thanks for the responses. The reason I am asking is because I hosting
> Thanksgiving this year and need to buy a roaster. My mom always cooked
> our bird covered but all the chefs on the cooking shows use the
> shallow, open roasting pan. This all confuses me as to which will get
> me the best tasting bird. My mom's was always kind of dry --but they be
> mom's fault I don't know. I guess I need to ask which roaster is more
> fool-proof?

First, get a thermometer, as recommended elsewhere in this thread.
Practically
every other issue is minor, compared with the need not to overcook the
bird.

I use a shallow pan, and put the turkey on a rack. We had Thanksgiving
early,
because my husband is going away on business Saturday and I didn't want
be stuck with a bunch of leftovers. Here was my method. It involves
some
fussing, but I like it. As I said, the most important thing is not to
overcook.

This is the Cook's Illustrated Crispy-Skin turkey from Nov/Dec 2000.

For a 14-pound stuffed turkey (mine was a pre-brined bird):

Prepare your favorite stuffing; stuff and truss in the usual way.

Preheat oven to 400 F. Into the roasting pan, place some coarsely
chopped
carrots, onion, and celery. (Frankly, I just cut the carrots and
celery in
half, and quarter the onion.) Add a cup of water.

Put the turkey on the rack in the pan, breast side up. Salt and pepper
all
visible surfaces, and drizzle melted butter on. Turn the turkey breast
side
down, and salt, pepper, and drizzle that size.

Put the pan with turkey in the oven. Roast at 400 F for 1 hour. (My
oven heats
unevenly, so I turned it back to front every half hour.) If the pan
is getting too dry,
add another cup of water so the fond doesn't burn.

Turn the heat down to 250 F and roast another 2 hours.

Remove the turkey from the oven. Increase the heat to 400 F.

Using a few folded paper towels as padding, flip the turkey breast-side
up.
Put it back in the oven for 1 hour. Check the breast and thigh with an
instant-read thermometer. I believe the current thinking is that 165
is hot
enough for the breast meat, and the thigh can take a little more heat.
Mind
was a little closer to 161 in the breast, and it was fully cooked.

The result should be a well-browned bird with moist meat, and a
deliciously browned
fond with which to make gravy. (I ate the carrots and onions from the
bottom of the pan,
because they were so beautifully roasted.)

If you just have to do a big 23-pound turkey, you might want to find
some other
method, because I can't feature flipping such a big bird.

Did I mention that the most important thing is to not overcook? The
thermometer is
your friend.

Cindy Hamilton