Doug Weller

Default Oval covered Roasters

Eg
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance

Are these really worth buying?

Thanks

Doug
--
Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Doug Kanter

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
> Eg
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance
>
> Are these really worth buying?

How often do you roast big things? And:

"The unit's phenolic handles are oven safe to 350 degrees F and ensure safe,
secure transport to and from the oven."

but: I've seen recipes that called for starting the cooking at a much higher
temp, and then lowering. Those handles will have problems.

"Washing the roaster by hand is recommended."
Pretty obvious, since many dishwashers won't handle heavily baked on food.
But....just be aware of this.

And:
Where the bottom meets the sides on the inside, is it a sharp bend, or is
there enough of a curve to make cleaning easier?

I'd want to touch this thing before I bought it.

Boron Elgar

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:00:47 -0400, ~patches~
> wrote:

>Doug Weller wrote:
>
>> Eg
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance
>>
>> Are these really worth buying?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Doug

>IMO yes and the rack is nice too if you are inquiring about the design
>of the roaster. Would I pay $80 for it, no. If you shop around you can
>find similar much cheaper. I bought my SS roaster at a great discount
>due to a store re-opening after their remodel. Mind you enamelware
>roasters work just as well. I have both SS & enamelware in various sizes.

Magnalite is aluminum. I would opt for SS or enamel instead.

Boron
~patches~

Doug Weller wrote:

> Eg
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance
>
> Are these really worth buying?
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug

IMO yes and the rack is nice too if you are inquiring about the design
of the roaster. Would I pay $80 for it, no. If you shop around you can
find similar much cheaper. I bought my SS roaster at a great discount
due to a store re-opening after their remodel. Mind you enamelware
roasters work just as well. I have both SS & enamelware in various sizes.
jmcquown

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:00:47 -0400, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>
>> Doug Weller wrote:
>>
>>> Eg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance

>>> Are these really worth buying?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Doug

>> IMO yes and the rack is nice too if you are inquiring about the
>> design
>> of the roaster. Would I pay $80 for it, no. If you shop around you
>> can
>> find similar much cheaper. I bought my SS roaster at a great
>> discount
>> due to a store re-opening after their remodel. Mind you enamelware
>> roasters work just as well. I have both SS & enamelware in various
>> sizes.

> Magnalite is aluminum. I would opt for SS or enamel instead.
>
> Boron

I agree; my mom is still using her old oval "grannyware" (aka spatterware)
enamel roaster after 50-some years. You can pick those up for much less
than $80 and it's never disappointed her. Personally, I don't have much use
for a roaster of this size.

Jill

Sheldon

Boron Elgar wrote:
> ~patches wrote:
>
> >Doug Weller wrote:
> >
> >> Eg
> >> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance
> >>
> >> Are these really worth buying?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Doug

> >IMO yes and the rack is nice too if you are inquiring about the design
> >of the roaster. Would I pay $80 for it, no. If you shop around you can
> >find similar much cheaper. I bought my SS roaster at a great discount
> >due to a store re-opening after their remodel. Mind you enamelware
> >roasters work just as well. I have both SS & enamelware in various sizes.

> Magnalite is aluminum. I would opt for SS or enamel instead.

Magnalite is actually a brand name (part of Wagnerware)... this
cookware is fabricated of very heavy/thick *cast* aluminum, an
excellent product of superiour design that will easily last
generations, far better than typical stainless steel or porcelainized
steel covered oval roasters in every respect. Amazon's is a fair
price.

http://www.wagnerware.com/ProductDet...d=16& PSub=12

http://www.epinions.com/content_74086452868

Sheldon

Puester

Doug Weller wrote:
> Eg
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance
>
> Are these really worth buying?
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug

How often are you gonna use it? Will it hold a turkey as large as you
are ever apt to buy? Do you often roast chicken? Will you use it for
pot roasts and other oven roasts instead of using a Dutch oven?

If every week, I'd say yes. If 3x a year, I'd get one of those
dark blue enamel things for ~$20.

JMHO,
gloria p
Charles Gifford

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Boron Elgar wrote:
> > ~patches wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance

> > >IMO yes and the rack is nice too if you are inquiring about the design
> > >of the roaster. Would I pay $80 for it, no. If you shop around you

can
> > >find similar much cheaper. I bought my SS roaster at a great discount
> > >due to a store re-opening after their remodel. Mind you enamelware
> > >roasters work just as well. I have both SS & enamelware in various

sizes.

> > Magnalite is aluminum. I would opt for SS or enamel instead.

> Magnalite is actually a brand name (part of Wagnerware)... this
> cookware is fabricated of very heavy/thick *cast* aluminum, an
> excellent product of superiour design that will easily last
> generations, far better than typical stainless steel or porcelainized
> steel covered oval roasters in every respect. Amazon's is a fair
> price.

I agree that Magnalite is excellent. I find my Magnalite to be all I could
wish for. I also have an enameled steel roaster and find it lacking. I do
enjoy roasting in my enameled cast iron, but the Magnalite is much lighter
and, for roasting, it is excellent.

Charlie

aem

Charles Gifford wrote:

> I agree that Magnalite is excellent. I find my Magnalite to be all I could
> wish for. I also have an enameled steel roaster and find it lacking. I do
> enjoy roasting in my enameled cast iron, but the Magnalite is much lighter
> and, for roasting, it is excellent.

Me, too. I used the Magnalite sauce pans I inherited for many years.
They must have been 40 years old when finally retired. I still use the
dutch oven. -aem

Melba's Jammin'

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:
(snipped)

> > Magnalite is aluminum. I would opt for SS or enamel instead.

> Magnalite is actually a brand name (part of Wagnerware)... this
> cookware is fabricated of very heavy/thick *cast* aluminum, an
> excellent product of superiour design that will easily last
> generations, far better than typical stainless steel or porcelainized
> steel covered oval roasters in every respect. Amazon's is a fair
> price.
>
> http://www.wagnerware.com/ProductDet...=&Prod=16& PS
> ub=12
>
> http://www.epinions.com/content_74086452868
>
> Sheldon

I inherited Mom's Magnalite "chicken fryer" when she died. I don't use
it and can't bear to part with it, either. It's the same size as the
All Clad 3-quart saute pan. I use that pan a lot. And I love the deep
oval cast aluminum roaster for pot roast, too. It's kind of pitted on
the inside -- it's got to be at least 50 years old.

~patches~

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:00:47 -0400, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>

>>Doug Weller wrote:
>>

>>>Eg
>>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance
>>>
>>>Are these really worth buying?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Doug

>>IMO yes and the rack is nice too if you are inquiring about the design
>>of the roaster. Would I pay $80 for it, no. If you shop around you can
>>find similar much cheaper. I bought my SS roaster at a great discount
>>due to a store re-opening after their remodel. Mind you enamelware
>>roasters work just as well. I have both SS & enamelware in various sizes.

> Magnalite is aluminum. I would opt for SS or enamel instead.
>
> Boron

Sorry I didn't realize that magnalite was aluminum. I wouldn't buy
aluminum.
Boron Elgar

On 6 Oct 2005 18:08:55 -0700, "aem" > wrote:

>Charles Gifford wrote:
>>
>> I agree that Magnalite is excellent. I find my Magnalite to be all I could
>> wish for. I also have an enameled steel roaster and find it lacking. I do
>> enjoy roasting in my enameled cast iron, but the Magnalite is much lighter
>> and, for roasting, it is excellent.
>>

>Me, too. I used the Magnalite sauce pans I inherited for many years.
>They must have been 40 years old when finally retired. I still use the
>dutch oven. -aem

The Dutch oven is wonderful for baking shepherd's bread. This one is
close to mine & is already typed!

http://www.completerecipes.com/9038.htm

3 c Hot Water
1/2 c Butter
1/2 c Sugar
2 1/2 ts Salt
2 pk Yeast
9 1/2 c Flour; Approximate
Salad oil

Instructions:
In bowl, combine hot water, butter, sugar and salt. stir until butter
melts and let cool to warm. Stir in yeast and cover and let yeast get
bubbly, about 15 minutes. Add 5 cups flour and beat with heavy duty
mixer or wooden spoon to form a thick batter. With spoon, stir in
enough remaining flour (3 1/2 cup ) to form a stiff dough.. turn out
to floured board and knead smooth and elastic about 10 minutes. Turn
dough over in a greased bowl and cover and let rise double in a warm
place. ( 1 1/2 hrs ) . Punch down and form into a smooth ball.

Cut a circle of foil to cover bottom of dutch oven. grease insides of
dutch oven and underside of lid with salad oil. Place dough in pot and
cover with lid. Let dough rise in a warm place until dough pushed up
lid about 1/2 inch.( about 1 hour but watch closely ). Bake covered
with lid, in 375 oven for 12 minutes. Remove lid and bake 30 to 35
minutes or until loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow. Remove from
oven and turn out onto rack (you may need a helper ) makes 1 very
large delicious soft white bread.

MoM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:00:47 -0400, ~patches~
>> > wrote:

> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15333?v=glance

>>> IMO yes and the rack is nice too if you are inquiring about the
>>> design
>>> of the roaster. Would I pay $80 for it, no. If you shop around you
>>> can
>>> find similar much cheaper. I bought my SS roaster at a great
>>> discount
>>> due to a store re-opening after their remodel. Mind you enamelware
>>> roasters work just as well. I have both SS & enamelware in various
>>> sizes.

>> Magnalite is aluminum. I would opt for SS or enamel instead.
>>
>> Boron

> I agree; my mom is still using her old oval "grannyware" (aka spatterware)
> enamel roaster after 50-some years. You can pick those up for much less
> than $80 and it's never disappointed her. Personally, I don't have much
> use
> for a roaster of this size.
>
> Jill

Me too! I do have a large non-stick open roaster with a rack but I use the
enamel one for turkey.

MoM

Nut roasters? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 30-06-2009 10:19 PM
The Roasters are Back!!! Christine Dabney General Cooking 3 27-07-2007 11:57 AM
roasters higgledy General Cooking 20 20-11-2006 04:43 PM
Oval Fajita Pan Michael O'Connor General Cooking 7 07-11-2006 06:21 PM
Electric roasters Scotty General Cooking 16 18-12-2004 02:39 PM