Old 13-06-2021, 05:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking

I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

Old 13-06-2021, 05:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...

Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

--
GM

Old 13-06-2021, 01:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 12:29 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

Look at the bright side. It's done and now you have plenty of delish
cookies.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen,

That's silly.

Old 13-06-2021, 03:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:52:31 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...

Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.
Old 13-06-2021, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 10:11:36 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
[...]

What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
something, sometime.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-06-2021, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

It was fun when I was younger. But eventually not very cost - effective, especially when factoring in the time. I also bought my produce at farmer's markets, living in the city I did not grow my own...

--
GM
Old 13-06-2021, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:30:15 PM UTC-4, GM wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

My first husband's parents had a ginormous garden. My FIL's mother still
lived on her farm. They planted potatoes and corn at her place. I haven't
canned anything since we divorced.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-06-2021, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-13 12:19 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 10:11:36 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
something, sometime.

When I was a kid we canned a lot of stuff. Our house had a "root cellar"
in the basement under the front steps. My mother did most of the
canning. She out put up peaches, pears, cherries, tomato sauce etc. She
also made lots and lots of jam and jelly, like strawberry, raspberry,
sour cherry, red currant, black currant and crab apple.

Old 13-06-2021, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Old 13-06-2021, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Did you celebrate with a corn cob?

Old 13-06-2021, 06:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:27:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...

--
Best
Greg
Old 13-06-2021, 08:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:35:03 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
John Kuthe wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Did you celebrate with a corn cob?

Or the bumpy banana.

Who put the bump in the bump, bump, bump, bump, bump?
Who put the bumpy in the bumpy banana?
The bumpy banana will pump the rump.
Good stimulation and a good diameter.

Who put the bump in the bump, bump, bump, bump, bump?
Who put the bumpy in the bumpy banana?

http://wiwords.com/word/bumpy-banana

--Bryan