Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking

I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>
> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...

Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

--
GM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 00:29:01 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>
>I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 21:52:28 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>
>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

>Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>
>Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 12:29 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.

Look at the bright side. It's done and now you have plenty of delish
cookies.

> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
> in the kitchen,

That's silly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:52:31 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> > I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
> > house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
> > a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
> >
> > I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
> > in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
> > provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
> > defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

> Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>
> Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 10:11:36 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:52:31 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
> > > house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
> > > a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
> > >
> > > I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
> > > in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
> > > provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
> > > defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

> > Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
> >
> > Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

> Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
something, sometime.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 10:11:36 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
> > >
> > > Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

> > Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

> What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
> something, sometime.

It was fun when I was younger. But eventually not very cost - effective, especially when factoring in the time. I also bought my produce at farmer's markets, living in the city I did not grow my own...

--
GM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:30:15 PM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

> > What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
> > something, sometime.

> It was fun when I was younger. But eventually not very cost - effective, especially when factoring in the time. I also bought my produce at farmer's markets, living in the city I did not grow my own...

My first husband's parents had a ginormous garden. My FIL's mother still
lived on her farm. They planted potatoes and corn at her place. I haven't
canned anything since we divorced.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-13 12:19 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 10:11:36 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

>>> Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

>> Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

> What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
> something, sometime.

When I was a kid we canned a lot of stuff. Our house had a "root cellar"
in the basement under the front steps. My mother did most of the
canning. She out put up peaches, pears, cherries, tomato sauce etc. She
also made lots and lots of jam and jelly, like strawberry, raspberry,
sour cherry, red currant, black currant and crab apple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>
> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>
>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>
> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Did you celebrate with a corn cob?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:27:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> > I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
> > house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
> > a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
> >
> > I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
> > in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
> > provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
> > defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>
> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:35:03 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> >> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
> >> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
> >> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
> >>
> >> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
> >> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
> >> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
> >> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

> > I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
> >
> > John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
> >

> Did you celebrate with a corn cob?

Or the bumpy banana.

Who put the bump in the bump, bump, bump, bump, bump?
Who put the bumpy in the bumpy banana?
The bumpy banana will pump the rump.
Good stimulation and a good diameter.

Who put the bump in the bump, bump, bump, bump, bump?
Who put the bumpy in the bumpy banana?

http://wiwords.com/word/bumpy-banana

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:26:59 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>
>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

>I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>
>John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 1:26 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>
>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>
> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

That's because you're an idiot who only knows how to cook four or five
things.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 16:32:09 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/13/2021 1:26 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>>
>>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

>> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>>
>> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
>>

>That's because you're an idiot who only knows how to cook four or five
>things.
>
>Jill

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 12:52 AM, GM wrote:
> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>
>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

> Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>
> Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the bottom.
I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning this year. I
planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 8:19 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 6/13/2021 12:29 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest
>> idea.

> Look at the bright side. It's done and now you have plenty of delish
> cookies.
>
>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>> in the kitchen,

> That's silly.

Yes, several to freeze. Some were given away as a birthday gift.

I have a huge stock pile of matches to light the stove top. My former
stove was match-lite only for years, this pilot light thing is new to me
as of last autumn. The oven is still match light (50's Chambers stove),
only the top has pilot lights, so I didn't see a point in adding more
heat to the kitchen this summer. I'll likely turn them back on when
since it helps with heating when the cold weather comes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:37:23 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>On 6/13/2021 12:52 AM, GM wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>>
>>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

>> Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>>
>> Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...
>>

>I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the bottom.
>I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning this year. I
>planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 1:26 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>
>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>
> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Natural gas is dirt cheap around here, I'll keep my stove. I don't care
about the oven, other than the cost, but I hate cooking on an electric
stove top.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 1:35 PM, GM wrote:
> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:27:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>>
>>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

>> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>>
>> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

> The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...

No one seems to understand that. Same deal with these electric cars.
Yes, they are not polluting locally, but on top of fossil fuel plants,
literally about half of all electricity is lost during transmission...
that's terribly inefficient, and adds up to twice of the claimed
pollution of whatever fossil fuel the plant burns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:40:47 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>On 6/13/2021 1:26 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>>
>>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

>> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>>
>> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

>Natural gas is dirt cheap around here, I'll keep my stove. I don't care
>about the oven, other than the cost, but I hate cooking on an electric
>stove top.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:39:50 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>On 6/13/2021 8:19 AM, Gary wrote:
>> On 6/13/2021 12:29 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest
>>> idea.

>> Look at the bright side. It's done and now you have plenty of delish
>> cookies.
>>
>>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>>> in the kitchen,

>> That's silly.
>>

>Yes, several to freeze. Some were given away as a birthday gift.
>
>I have a huge stock pile of matches to light the stove top. My former
>stove was match-lite only for years, this pilot light thing is new to me
>as of last autumn. The oven is still match light (50's Chambers stove),
>only the top has pilot lights, so I didn't see a point in adding more
>heat to the kitchen this summer. I'll likely turn them back on when
>since it helps with heating when the cold weather comes.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/13/2021 12:52 AM, GM wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>>
>>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

>> Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>>
>> Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...
>>

>I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the bottom.
>I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning this year. I
>planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Michael Trew wrote:

> On 6/13/2021 1:35 PM, GM wrote:

> >> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
> >>
> >> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

> > The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...
> >

> No one seems to understand that. Same deal with these electric cars.
> Yes, they are not polluting locally, but on top of fossil fuel plants,
> literally about half of all electricity is lost during transmission...
> that's terribly inefficient, and adds up to twice of the claimed
> pollution of whatever fossil fuel the plant burns.

EV's can be *far* worse as consumption and disposal of fuel and raw materials goes...from the original mining of the battery/vehicle materials to fuel consumed to the eventual disposal of those batteries/vehicle materials ...

An example of hare - brained environmental "thinking" is California's mandate to rapidly switch to EV's. Much has been debated about this, here is one piece:

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-e...-cut-emissions

California should let carbon market, not mandate, cut emissions

BY GEOFF COOPER, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR €” 10/05/20

"California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) sent shock waves through energy and climate policy circles recently when he ordered that all new passenger cars and trucks sold in the state must be €œzero-emission€ by 2035.

Of course, in California regulatory lingo, the term €œzero-emission vehicle€ (or €œZEV€) is shorthand for an electric or fuel cell vehicle. Thus, starting 15 years from now, Gov. Newsoms order would essentially ban the sale of cars and trucks that use liquid fuels in internal combustion engines and mandate the sale of battery electric, plug-in hybrid and fuel cell vehicles.

Theres no question that the executive order is as bold as it is fashionable. But is it realistic? And is it truly necessary?

Indeed, the goal behind the ZEV mandate €” combating climate change €”is laudable and absolutely should be pursued with urgency. As producers of renewable liquid fuels, confronting climate change and reducing carbon emissions is our goal too.

In California, the transportation sector accounts for more than 50 percent of the states greenhouse gas emissions. And nationwide, transportation is the single largest source of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. We can €” and must €” do more to reduce carbon pollution, and we need to act quickly.

But lets get a few things straight.

First, there is no such thing as a zero-emission vehicle. Calling an electric vehicle a ZEV is like calling a donkey a unicorn €” it sounds nice, but it simply isnt real. Just because there arent any greenhouse gas emissions coming out the tailpipe of an electric vehicle doesnt mean the vehicle and its fuel are emissions-free. The electricity that powers the vehicle had to come from somewhere. And, if it comes from fossil fuels, the true carbon impacts of a €œZEV€ can be as bad or worse than the impacts of a vehicle running on straight gasoline.

Its true that California gets a significant share (about 30 percent) of its electricity from clean, renewable sources like biomass, wind, solar and hydro. Its also true that an electric vehicle running on these sources of electricity offers a far smaller carbon footprint than a vehicle running on gasoline. But roughly one-third of the electricity produced in California is generated by natural gas-fired plants. Another one-third of the states electricity comes in from other states and, yes, some of those places still use coal in their power plants. Nationwide, fossil fuels like coal and natural gas still generate 63 percent of our electricity, with 20 percent coming from nuclear and 18 percent from renewables..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 9:43 PM, Michael Trew wrote:

>> The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...
>>

> No one seems to understand that.Â* Same deal with these electric cars.
> Yes, they are not polluting locally, but on top of fossil fuel plants,
> literally about half of all electricity is lost during transmission...
> that's terribly inefficient, and adds up to twice of the claimed
> pollution of whatever fossil fuel the plant burns.

You need to brush up on the facts. Electricity loss is about 5% in
transmission.
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=105&t=3
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that
electricity transmission and distribution (T&D) losses equaled about 5%
of the electricity transmitted and distributed in the United States in
2015 through 2019.

http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/l...and-your-plug/
Energy lost in transmission and distribution: About 6% €“ 2% in
transmission and 4% in distribution €“ or 69 trillion Btus in the U.S. in
2013

In the future, other forms of generation will take over. In our area
solar is viable and I get some of my juice from solar.

EVs have a long way to go to be ideal, but there are many new
technologies in the works to reduce or eliminate lithium, make faster
charging times, longer distance.

People thought the automobile was just a fad for the wealthy too. It
will take years but it will be viable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 9:11:36 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 12:52:31 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
> > > house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
> > > a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
> > >
> > > I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
> > > in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
> > > provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
> > > defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

> > Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer....
> >
> > Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

> Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

When were going through challenges, the devil likes to keep putting in our heads, €œI cant do this. Its too hard. I cant take it.€ I just want to tell you that you are stronger than you think you are!

--
GM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:43:11 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>On 6/13/2021 1:35 PM, GM wrote:

>>> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>>>
>>> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

>> The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...
>>

>No one seems to understand that. Same deal with these electric cars.
>Yes, they are not polluting locally, but on top of fossil fuel plants,
>literally about half of all electricity is lost during transmission...
>that's terribly inefficient, and adds up to twice of the claimed
>pollution of whatever fossil fuel the plant burns.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 20:05:27 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 9:11:36 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:

>> > Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>> >
>> > Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

>> Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

>When we’re going through challenges, the devil likes to keep putting in our heads, “I can’t do this. It’s too hard. I can’t take it.” I just want to tell you that you are stronger than you think you are!

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:24:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/13/2021 9:43 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>
>>> The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...
>>>

>> No one seems to understand that.* Same deal with these electric cars.
>> Yes, they are not polluting locally, but on top of fossil fuel plants,
>> literally about half of all electricity is lost during transmission...
>> that's terribly inefficient, and adds up to twice of the claimed
>> pollution of whatever fossil fuel the plant burns.

>You need to brush up on the facts. Electricity loss is about 5% in
>transmission.
>https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=105&t=3
>The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that
>electricity transmission and distribution (T&D) losses equaled about 5%
>of the electricity transmitted and distributed in the United States in
>2015 through 2019.
>
>http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/l...and-your-plug/
>Energy lost in transmission and distribution: About 6% – 2% in
>transmission and 4% in distribution – or 69 trillion Btus in the U.S. in
>2013
>
>In the future, other forms of generation will take over. In our area
>solar is viable and I get some of my juice from solar.
>
>EVs have a long way to go to be ideal, but there are many new
>technologies in the works to reduce or eliminate lithium, make faster
>charging times, longer distance.
>
>People thought the automobile was just a fad for the wealthy too. It
>will take years but it will be viable.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 18:57:46 -0700 (PDT), GM
> [...]

>It’s true that California gets a significant share (about 30 percent) of its electricity from clean, renewable sources like biomass, wind, solar and hydro. It’s also true that an electric vehicle running on these sources of electricity offers a far smaller carbon footprint than a vehicle running on gasoline. But roughly one-third of the electricity produced in California is generated by natural gas-fired plants. Another one-third of the state’s electricity comes in from other states and, yes, some of those places still use coal in their power plants. Nationwide, fossil fuels like coal and natural gas still generate 63 percent of our electricity, with 20 percent coming from nuclear and 18 percent from renewables..."

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/13/2021 12:52 AM, GM wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>>>
>>> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.

>> Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>>
>> Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

>I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the bottom.
>I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning this year. I
>planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

Depends what type of tomatoes, not all can well. Salad tomatoes (the
type most grow) are too watery for canning and sauce. Long simmering
to reduce water ends up with brown tomato sauce and a burnt flavor.
I grow a lot of Romas and to preserve I freeze, a lot safer and saves
storage space. I use cubical plastic containers, stack like bricks.
A Foley food mill removes skins, cores, and seeds. Prepare sauce with
minimal cooking and freeze.
It costs a lot less and is far safer to buy ones tomato products by
the case in #10 cans.
A large home vegetable garden is a lot of work and expence, we do it
for the enjoyment, no monetary savings.
We grow a lot of different tomatoes, most are eaten as salad tomatoes,
many are grilled.... at seasons end we fry green tomatoes and pickle
green tomatoes along with Kirby cukes.
Factory canned removes excess water with a huge vacuum tower (silo
sized), same method used for frozen OJ concentrate, and tomato
paste... minimally heated and water vapor vacuumed off... equipment is
too costly for home use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2021 9:51 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:37:23 -0400, Michael >
> wrote:

>>> Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>>>
>>> Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

>> I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the bottom.
>> I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning this year. I
>> planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

> Depends what type of tomatoes, not all can well. Salad tomatoes (the
> type most grow) are too watery for canning and sauce. Long simmering
> to reduce water ends up with brown tomato sauce and a burnt flavor.
> I grow a lot of Romas and to preserve I freeze, a lot safer and saves
> storage space. I use cubical plastic containers, stack like bricks.
> A Foley food mill removes skins, cores, and seeds. Prepare sauce with
> minimal cooking and freeze.
> It costs a lot less and is far safer to buy ones tomato products by
> the case in #10 cans.
> A large home vegetable garden is a lot of work and expence, we do it
> for the enjoyment, no monetary savings.
> We grow a lot of different tomatoes, most are eaten as salad tomatoes,
> many are grilled.... at seasons end we fry green tomatoes and pickle
> green tomatoes along with Kirby cukes.
> Factory canned removes excess water with a huge vacuum tower (silo
> sized), same method used for frozen OJ concentrate, and tomato
> paste... minimally heated and water vapor vacuumed off... equipment is
> too costly for home use.

I planted mostly Roma tomatoes. I figured good for sauces and recipes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 09:51:38 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:37:23 -0400, Michael Trew >
>wrote:

>>> Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>>>
>>> Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

>>I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the bottom.
>>I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning this year. I
>>planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

>Depends what type of tomatoes, not all can well. Salad tomatoes (the
>type most grow) are too watery for canning and sauce. Long simmering
>to reduce water ends up with brown tomato sauce and a burnt flavor.
>I grow a lot of Romas and to preserve I freeze, a lot safer and saves
>storage space. I use cubical plastic containers, stack like bricks.
>A Foley food mill removes skins, cores, and seeds. Prepare sauce with
>minimal cooking and freeze.
>It costs a lot less and is far safer to buy ones tomato products by
>the case in #10 cans.
>A large home vegetable garden is a lot of work and expence, we do it
>for the enjoyment, no monetary savings.
>We grow a lot of different tomatoes, most are eaten as salad tomatoes,
>many are grilled.... at seasons end we fry green tomatoes and pickle
>green tomatoes along with Kirby cukes.
>Factory canned removes excess water with a huge vacuum tower (silo
>sized), same method used for frozen OJ concentrate, and tomato
>paste... minimally heated and water vapor vacuumed off... equipment is
>too costly for home use.

Non-paste tomatoes (regular eating tomatoes) are fine for home canning
just as they are. No boiling down needed. For decades I used a quart
of home canned tomatoes to make caseroles, chili, sauce for pasta
dinner. If you run out of cannng jars you can freeze the tomatoes
whole with skins on. When you need tomatoes for cooking simply remove
the frozen tomatoes from the freezer, run hot water over them and the
skin will slip off. You can also skin and chop them and measure out
your most common used size and freeze that way. It's true that the
paste tomatoes have less water in them but I wouldn't let that deter
me from canning or freezing the tomatoes I have in my garden.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2021 10:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/13/2021 9:43 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>
>>> The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...
>>>

>> No one seems to understand that. Same deal with these electric cars.
>> Yes, they are not polluting locally, but on top of fossil fuel plants,
>> literally about half of all electricity is lost during transmission...
>> that's terribly inefficient, and adds up to twice of the claimed
>> pollution of whatever fossil fuel the plant burns.

> You need to brush up on the facts. Electricity loss is about 5% in
> transmission.
> https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=105&t=3
> The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that
> electricity transmission and distribution (T&D) losses equaled about 5%
> of the electricity transmitted and distributed in the United States in
> 2015 through 2019.
>
> http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/l...and-your-plug/
>
> Energy lost in transmission and distribution: About 6% €“ 2% in
> transmission and 4% in distribution €“ or 69 trillion Btus in the U.S. in
> 2013
>
> In the future, other forms of generation will take over. In our area
> solar is viable and I get some of my juice from solar.
>
> EVs have a long way to go to be ideal, but there are many new
> technologies in the works to reduce or eliminate lithium, make faster
> charging times, longer distance.
>
> People thought the automobile was just a fad for the wealthy too. It
> will take years but it will be viable.

I meant to say distribution losses = 50% -- not transmission losses.

https://electrical-engineering-porta...ission-lines-1

I'm sure it will eventually be viable. However, as it sits now, between
fossil fuel power plants and environmentally harmful lithium mining, you
can't say that you are making the "Green choice" with an electric car.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/13/2021 1:35 PM, GM wrote:

>>> I turn of my stove's pilot light permanently! I went all ELECTRIC! And I have my gas company come and pull their gas meter from my house!
>>>
>>> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

>> The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...
>>

>No one seems to understand that. Same deal with these electric cars.
>Yes, they are not polluting locally, but on top of fossil fuel plants,
>literally about half of all electricity is lost during transmission...
>that's terribly inefficient, and adds up to twice of the claimed
>pollution of whatever fossil fuel the plant burns.

All true, ask any electrician and they'll tell you about the terrific
losses from transmission, much is lost as heat. A tremendous amount
of electicity is wasted by step up, step down transformers, known as
hysteresis... no that's not a sexual term, has nothing to do with
hysterectomies.
Electric powered vehicles save nothing, in fact they waste energy and
pollute heavily from burning coal. Those heavy transmission wires
used to charge EVs cause cancer. I'd not be surprised to learn that
driving an electric vehicle is a carsogenic, as are solar panels...
any Dermatologist will tell you how exposure to sunlight causes skin
cancer... people with their roof covered with solar panels are
inviting solar rays.
Electric vehicles have been around for a long time, mostly as delivery
vans in large cities, especially diaper service delivery(Pilgrim). So
now disposables are used, how is that not pollution? The word
'disposable' is synonimous with 'pollution'.
Kootch possesses one of the lowest IQs on the internet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:43:11 -0400, Michael Trew >
> wrote:

>>> The VAST majority of your electric is derived from COAL, John...
>>>

>> No one seems to understand that. Same deal with these electric cars.
>> Yes, they are not polluting locally, but on top of fossil fuel plants,
>> literally about half of all electricity is lost during transmission...
>> that's terribly inefficient, and adds up to twice of the claimed
>> pollution of whatever fossil fuel the plant burns.

> All true, ask any electrician and they'll tell you about the terrific
> losses from transmission, much is lost as heat. A tremendous amount
> of electicity is wasted by step up, step down transformers, known as
> hysteresis... no that's not a sexual term, has nothing to do with
> hysterectomies.
> Electric powered vehicles save nothing, in fact they waste energy and
> pollute heavily from burning coal. Those heavy transmission wires
> used to charge EVs cause cancer. I'd not be surprised to learn that
> driving an electric vehicle is a carsogenic, as are solar panels...
> any Dermatologist will tell you how exposure to sunlight causes skin
> cancer... people with their roof covered with solar panels are
> inviting solar rays.
> Electric vehicles have been around for a long time, mostly as delivery
> vans in large cities, especially diaper service delivery(Pilgrim). So
> now disposables are used, how is that not pollution? The word
> 'disposable' is synonimous with 'pollution'.
> Kootch possesses one of the lowest IQs on the internet.

Yoose a true polymath Popeye!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Trew wrote:

> On 6/13/2021 12:52 AM, GM wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe
> > > of toll house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9
> > > dozen cookies. In a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day,
> > > that wasn't my smartest idea.
> > >
> > > I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on
> > > heat in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped
> > > ham and provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge
> > > desperately needing defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better
> > > than snow, however.

> > Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C,
> > and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot
> > that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by
> > LOTS of ice - cold beer...
> >
> > Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...
> >

> I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the
> bottom. I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning
> this year. I planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

I've done jellies, jams and pickles at times. Fun to do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:37:23 -0400, Michael Trew >
> wrote:
>
> > On 6/13/2021 12:52 AM, GM wrote:
> >> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew

> wrote: >>> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double
> recipe of toll >>> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about
> 9 dozen cookies. In >>> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day,
> that wasn't my smartest idea.

> heat >>> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped
> ham and >>> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge
> desperately needing >>> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better
> than snow, however.
> > >

> >> Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C,

> and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot
> that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by
> LOTS of ice - cold beer...
> > >
> >> Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...

> > I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the
> > bottom. I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning
> > this year. I planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

> Depends what type of tomatoes, not all can well. Salad tomatoes (the
> type most grow) are too watery for canning and sauce. Long simmering
> to reduce water ends up with brown tomato sauce and a burnt flavor.

I just freeze them as is in bags. Once you defrost a bit in warm
water, the skins slip right off.

(snips)

> A large home vegetable garden is a lot of work and expence, we do it
> for the enjoyment, no monetary savings.

Actually there can be monetary savings in some things. Lettuce makes a
good example as do green onions. For green onions, I just get some in
early spring, use the tops and plant the bottoms and they come back up
for several years. Generally I can 'crop my own' from late March to
around Christmas.

Lettuce is another one. 6 weeks from seeding to cropping for most
types. I've tried Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli) for the first time and
had great suscess from a single plant. I keep chopping some off and it
keeps coming back. Seedling plant was 1.19$ and I've already cropped
about 4$ worth.

Still, yes, we do it for fun.

Fruit trees are another matter. If you understand proper pollenators
for your type, those yield a HUGE crop. I'm looking at about 350
estimated apples this year. Being far north of me, you'd be apt more
to reds. A Courtland and a Red Delicious would do well. Plant within
15 feet of each other and let them do their thing.

https://www.acnursery.com/resources/...ts/apple-chart

No real expense other than the tree. Save your eggshells and crush a
bit then toss on the ground under them. Apple trees are calcium
hungry. 2 eggshells a day is more than enough though.