Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pepper Mill

On 2019-03-06 9:17 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>>> Just buy one nice pepper mill and stop with all the pre-filled
>>> ones.
>>> My wooden one has lasted over 20 year with no problem.

>> If I could find one with good reviews, I would.

Excuses, excuses! More and more excuses!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 21:35:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Just buy one nice pepper mill and stop with all the pre-filled
>>> ones.
>>> My wooden one has lasted over 20 year with no problem.

>>If I could find one with good reviews, I would.

> I purchased this in October of 2018 and it has fulfilled all my
> expectations for a pepper mill, and for the price it can't be beat:
> https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...er%2Bmill&th=1

It looks awkward to me with that top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > > That doesn't necessarily mean you're a super taster. You just need
> > > more practice!

> > a super taster just simply means a person has more taste buds/nerve
> > endings per cm^3 than the average person... so lets say I have twice
> > as many taste buds on my tongue than bob. bob tastes some hot sauce
> > and says DAMN that is spicy... I taste the same hot sauce and it
> > will be 2x as hot for me and I will most likely scream my head off
> > for 10 minutes

> That's not a super taster.

+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.

Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.

Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > a super taster just simply means a person has more taste buds/nerve
>> > endings per cm^3 than the average person... so lets say I have twice
>> > as many taste buds on my tongue than bob. bob tastes some hot sauce
>> > and says DAMN that is spicy... I taste the same hot sauce and it
>> > will be 2x as hot for me and I will most likely scream my head off
>> > for 10 minutes

>> That's not a super taster.

>+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.
>
>Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
>'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.
>
>Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.

cshenk, are you suddenly starting to make sense? Without any prior
warning?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 16:43:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 21:35:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>If I could find one with good reviews, I would.

>> I purchased this in October of 2018 and it has fulfilled all my
>> expectations for a pepper mill, and for the price it can't be beat:
>> https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...er%2Bmill&th=1

>It looks awkward to me with that top.

But, but by now you should be very adept at giving your gardener Knob
Jobs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2019 7:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 21:35:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> If I could find one with good reviews, I would.

>> I purchased this in October of 2018 and it has fulfilled all my
>> expectations for a pepper mill, and for the price it can't be beat:
>> https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...er%2Bmill&th=1
>>

> It looks awkward to me with that top.

Not at all. In addition to the Atlas I bought one of those. Damned
good for the money. Nothing awkward about it at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-06 7:43 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message

>> I purchased this in October of 2018 and it has fulfilled all my
>> expectations for a pepper mill, and for the price it can't be beat:
>> https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...er%2Bmill&th=1
>>

> It looks awkward to me with that top.

Of course. It is always so gratifying to offer help to you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > > That doesn't necessarily mean you're a super taster. You just need
> > > more practice!

> > a super taster just simply means a person has more taste buds/nerve
> > endings per cm^3 than the average person... so lets say I have twice
> > as many taste buds on my tongue than bob. bob tastes some hot sauce
> > and says DAMN that is spicy... I taste the same hot sauce and it
> > will be 2x as hot for me and I will most likely scream my head off
> > for 10 minutes

> That's not a super taster.

+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.

Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.

Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.

===

I am definitely not a super taster! Take MSG for example! I use it but I
can't taste any difference. D. seems to like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 3/6/2019 7:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 21:35:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> I purchased this in October of 2018 and it has fulfilled all my
>>> expectations for a pepper mill, and for the price it can't be beat:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...er%2Bmill&th=1

>> It looks awkward to me with that top.

> Not at all. In addition to the Atlas I bought one of those. Damned good
> for the money. Nothing awkward about it at all.

Thanks! I will look into it if the current ones break.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > a super taster just simply means a person has more taste buds/nerve
>> > endings per cm^3 than the average person... so lets say I have twice
>> > as many taste buds on my tongue than bob. bob tastes some hot sauce
>> > and says DAMN that is spicy... I taste the same hot sauce and it
>> > will be 2x as hot for me and I will most likely scream my head off
>> > for 10 minutes

>> That's not a super taster.

>+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.
>
>Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
>'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.
>
>Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.

It is really funny when you people realize that you are 100% wrong and
you think by changing or editing my words it will make you seem as
though you are correct, but you are not.

“[Supertasters] have densities of taste buds that are 10 to 100 times
greater than the normal population,” he says. “As a result,
supertasters are much more sensitive to spicy foods and they can taste
… very mild flavors.”

<https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1AVNE_enUS716US716&ei=uqB 9XNnpI4jysQW8uq_QCQ&q=what+are+supertasters+more+s ensitive+to+spicy+food&oq=what+are+supertasters+mo re+sensitive+to+spicey+&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0.33i10i299l2.88432.105701..107891...0.0..0.1 34.1649.19j2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i7i30j0j0i8i7i30j0i7i5i30j0i30j0i2 2i30j33i299j33i160.VtaAKn_J9qQ>

did you read the part

"supertasters are much more sensitive to spicy foods"

Thank you have a nice day

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> That's not a super taster.

>>+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.
>>
>>Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
>>'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.
>>
>>Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.

>cshenk, are you suddenly starting to make sense? Without any prior
>warning?

LOL not even... It seems that jealousy has for some reason taken over
its senses... The funny thing is it is jealous for no reason at all.
Being a super taster is not a good thing. But idiots dont see it that
way, I have no idea.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > a super taster just simply means a person has more taste buds/nerve
>> > endings per cm^3 than the average person... so lets say I have twice
>> > as many taste buds on my tongue than bob. bob tastes some hot sauce
>> > and says DAMN that is spicy... I taste the same hot sauce and it
>> > will be 2x as hot for me and I will most likely scream my head off
>> > for 10 minutes

>> That's not a super taster.

>+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.
>
>Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
>'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.
>
>Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.

No that is NOT what a supertaster is...

A lot of foods are disgusting to a supertaster. Having more taste buds
is NOT a good thing. Are all of you people that dumb?

>===
>
>I am definitely not a super taster! Take MSG for example! I use it but I
>can't taste any difference. D. seems to like it.

LOL, is the worse think anyone could ever use. It causes so many
health problems it should be illegal

MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the
FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods
containing MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex —
include:

Headache
Flushing
Sweating
Facial pressure or tightness
Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
Chest pain
Nausea
Weakness
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/faq-20058196

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 09:17:25 -0500, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> Being a super taster is not a good thing.
>> But idiots dont see it that way, I have no idea.

>How does one know or determine if they are a super taster or not?

Well it is a easy enough process.... do foods seem more spicy to you
than to others? Do you detest the taste of strongly flavored items,
such as beer or wine? I am on the lower end of being a supertaster,
some cant even stand the taste of sugar.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 16:43:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>>If I could find one with good reviews, I would.

>> I purchased this in October of 2018 and it has fulfilled all my
>> expectations for a pepper mill, and for the price it can't be beat:
>> https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...er%2Bmill&th=1

>It looks awkward to me with that top.

Here is a deal for you. My email works. Send me your address and
I'll have one shipped to you No cost, only one simple obligation.
Try it.

I'm going to order from Amazon in the next couple of days and I'll add
the pepper mill to the order. My gift to you. Nothing expected in
return.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > a super taster just simply means a person has more taste buds/nerve
>> > endings per cm^3 than the average person... so lets say I have twice
>> > as many taste buds on my tongue than bob. bob tastes some hot sauce
>> > and says DAMN that is spicy... I taste the same hot sauce and it
>> > will be 2x as hot for me and I will most likely scream my head off
>> > for 10 minutes

>> That's not a super taster.

>+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.
>
>Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
>'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.
>
>Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.

No that is NOT what a supertaster is...

A lot of foods are disgusting to a supertaster. Having more taste buds
is NOT a good thing. Are all of you people that dumb?

>===
>
>I am definitely not a super taster! Take MSG for example! I use it but I
>can't taste any difference. D. seems to like it.

LOL, is the worse think anyone could ever use. It causes so many
health problems it should be illegal

MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the
FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods
containing MSG. These reactions €” known as MSG symptom complex €”
include:

Headache
Flushing
Sweating
Facial pressure or tightness
Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
Chest pain
Nausea
Weakness
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/faq-20058196

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

==

Well D. certainly doesn't suffer from any of those things, so I guess it
hasn't hit him yet ... oh and I have been using it for many years

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 16:58:34 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Jinx the Minx" wrote in message ...
>
>Gary > wrote:
>> e wrote:
>>>
>>> Being a super taster is not a good thing.
>>> But idiots dont see it that way, I have no idea.

>> How does one know or determine if they are a super taster or not?
>>

>Apparently if you are sensitive to spicy foods, youre in.
>
>==
>
>LOL I guess I am in then <g>

You don't even like pepper. You must be the Mother Of All
Supertasters.

==

Sure looks like it, eh <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> > > For years, I bought the disposable pre-filled.
> > > Not sure if they still make those or not. I do use a lot of
> > > pepper though so one of those didn't last long. If I have to, I
> > > will put peppercorns in a plastic bag and crush them. Gives a
> > > slightly coarser texture than I want but works in a pinch!

> > Just buy one nice pepper mill and stop with all the pre-filled
> > ones.
> > My wooden one has lasted over 20 year with no problem.

> If I could find one with good reviews, I would.

Savory Spice Shop has several with very good reviews. If there's any
plastic in there, I've not noted it. Reasonably priced as well.

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/spic...pper-mill.html

I have 3 of those, dark one for black pepper, a light one for White
Sarawak perpercorns, and a red one with Pink Reunion Peppercorn. They
don't seem to have the other colors of grinders right now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> In article >, penmart01
> @aol.com Sheldon says...
> > I purchased this in October of 2018 and it has fulfilled all my
> > expectations , and for the price it can't be beat:
> > https://imgur.com/a/BTxhlbh
> >

> Racist!

As usual, pay the troll who fakes posts in others names, no mind.

Headers:
From: "cshenk" >
Subject: Pepper Mill
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 09:20:55 -0500

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>How does one know or determine if they are a super taster or not?

>>Well it is a easy enough process.... do foods seem more spicy to you
>>than to others?

>CK: I don't like spicy foods because I'm a supertaster.
>Question: How do you know you're a supertaster?
>CK: Because I don't like spicy foods.

Liking spicy foods has nothing to do with it. I may not like corn but
does that mean I am a supertaster? No. Imagine it this way... you can
stand 2 feet from a fire and be comfortable I have to stand 4 feet to
be comfortable.. does that mean that I hate fire?

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> That's not a super taster.

>>+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.
>>
>>Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
>>'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.
>>
>>Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.

>No that is NOT what a supertaster is...
>
>A lot of foods are disgusting to a supertaster. Having more taste buds
>is NOT a good thing. Are all of you people that dumb?
>>
>>===
>>
>>I am definitely not a super taster! Take MSG for example! I use it but I
>>can't taste any difference. D. seems to like it.
>>

>LOL, is the worse think anyone could ever use. It causes so many
>health problems it should be illegal
>
>MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the
>FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods
>containing MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex —
>include:
>
>Headache
>Flushing
>Sweating
>Facial pressure or tightness
>Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
>Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
>Chest pain
>Nausea
>Weakness

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/faq-20058196

Well you may be surprised but MSG is made from wheat, and can you tell
me what wheat contains??? It really is not a hard question... Really
it is not.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 11:12:26 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I am definitely not a super taster! Take MSG for example! I use it but I
> can't taste any difference. D. seems to like it.

Your best bet is to make a batch of potato salad and season a portion with MSG and the other without. My guess is that you'll be able to tell the difference. Potato salad without MSG is kind of a disappointment for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >>+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.
> >>
> >>Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
> >>'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.
> >>
> >>Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.

> >No that is NOT what a supertaster is...
> >
> >A lot of foods are disgusting to a supertaster. Having more taste buds
> >is NOT a good thing. Are all of you people that dumb?
> >>
> >>===
> >>
> >>I am definitely not a super taster! Take MSG for example! I use it but I
> >>can't taste any difference. D. seems to like it.
> >>

> >LOL, is the worse think anyone could ever use. It causes so many
> >health problems it should be illegal
> >
> >MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the
> >FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods
> >containing MSG. These reactions €” known as MSG symptom complex €”
> >include:
> >
> >Headache
> >Flushing
> >Sweating
> >Facial pressure or tightness
> >Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
> >Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
> >Chest pain
> >Nausea
> >Weakness

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/faq-20058196

> Well you may be surprised but MSG is made from wheat, and can you tell
> me what wheat contains??? It really is not a hard question... Really
> it is not.

You conveniently snipped the next paragraph from mayoclinic.com.
Here it is:

However, researchers have found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and these symptoms. Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> That's not a super taster.

>>+1, no it is not. Has zero to do with heat.
>>
>>Most likely CK just isn't into hot spices and now trys to claim he is
>>'special' and that is why. There is nothing wrong with not liking hot.
>>
>>Super tasters taste nuances the rest of us may miss.

>No that is NOT what a supertaster is...
>
>A lot of foods are disgusting to a supertaster. Having more taste buds
>is NOT a good thing. Are all of you people that dumb?
>>
>>===
>>
>>I am definitely not a super taster! Take MSG for example! I use it but I
>>can't taste any difference. D. seems to like it.
>>

>LOL, is the worse think anyone could ever use. It causes so many
>health problems it should be illegal
>
>MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the
>FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods
>containing MSG. These reactions €” known as MSG symptom complex €”
>include:
>
>Headache
>Flushing
>Sweating
>Facial pressure or tightness
>Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
>Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
>Chest pain
>Nausea
>Weakness

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/faq-20058196

Well you may be surprised but MSG is made from wheat, and can you tell
me what wheat contains??? It really is not a hard question... Really
it is not.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
==

I don't care what is is made of in particular. I use such a tiny amount it
doesn't matter much.