Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pepper Mill

I have two of these Pepper Mills.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6

I did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them.
They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one in
the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.

Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened. All
of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to grind, it
chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole peppercorn and some
smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding mechanism. That didn't
help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At least I didn't pay a lot for
them!

Anyone else have this happen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 9:21:54 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>
> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
>
> Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened. All
> of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire.
>
> Anyone else have this happen?

Only in the world of Bov-ine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 10:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>
> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
>

> I did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them.
> They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one
> in the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.
>
> Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened.
> All of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to
> grind, it chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole
> peppercorn and some smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding
> mechanism.* That didn't help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At
> least I didn't pay a lot for them!
>
> Anyone else have this happen?

I guess you don't get much for 10 bucks. Recently bought an Oxo for $12
that seems to be ok. Also bought a new Atlas but that was much more
expensive. It got lost in the move, but we had it for about 40 years.
I like a crank on top rather than turn a wheel for times you want a lot
of pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:49:26 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/28/2019 10:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I have two of these Pepper Mills.
> >
> > https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
> >

> > I did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them..
> > They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one
> > in the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.
> >
> > Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened.
> > All of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to
> > grind, it chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole
> > peppercorn and some smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding
> > mechanism.Â* That didn't help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At
> > least I didn't pay a lot for them!
> >
> > Anyone else have this happen?

> I guess you don't get much for 10 bucks. Recently bought an Oxo for $12
> that seems to be ok. Also bought a new Atlas but that was much more
> expensive. It got lost in the move, but we had it for about 40 years.
> I like a crank on top rather than turn a wheel for times you want a lot
> of pepper.

Being wealthy I bought a couple of William Bounds pepper mills. One to use, and one as a backup of the one I'm using breaks!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 9:21:54 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>>
>> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
>>
>> Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened.
>> All
>> of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire.
>>
>> Anyone else have this happen?
>>

> Only in the world of Bov-ine.

Nope. Some reviewers reported a similar problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 2/28/2019 10:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>>
>> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6 I
>> did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them.
>> They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one
>> in the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.
>>
>> Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened.
>> All of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to
>> grind, it chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole
>> peppercorn and some smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding
>> mechanism. That didn't help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At
>> least I didn't pay a lot for them!
>>
>> Anyone else have this happen?

> I guess you don't get much for 10 bucks. Recently bought an Oxo for $12
> that seems to be ok. Also bought a new Atlas but that was much more
> expensive. It got lost in the move, but we had it for about 40 years. I
> like a crank on top rather than turn a wheel for times you want a lot of
> pepper.

I had a couple of Oxo but they were the balls with two handles like Ming
Tsai uses. The handles broke on mine. One after a couple of years. One after
a couple of uses. Both were gifts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 5:21:54 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>
> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
>
> I did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them.
> They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one in
> the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.
>
> Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened. All
> of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to grind, it
> chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole peppercorn and some
> smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding mechanism. That didn't
> help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At least I didn't pay a lot for
> them!
>
> Anyone else have this happen?

Welcome to the party pal. I've had quite a few and they've all worked unsatisfactory. They've always been a disappointment. Your best bet is to toss that out and start with a new one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 5:21:54 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>>
>> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
>>
>> I did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them.
>> They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one
>> in
>> the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.
>>
>> Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened.
>> All
>> of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to grind, it
>> chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole peppercorn and
>> some
>> smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding mechanism. That didn't
>> help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At least I didn't pay a lot
>> for
>> them!
>>
>> Anyone else have this happen?

> Welcome to the party pal. I've had quite a few and they've all worked
> unsatisfactory. They've always been a disappointment. Your best bet is to
> toss that out and start with a new one.

Already got it. So far so good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:21:39 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>
> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6

I have/had the same set. The pepper mill broke after 2-3 refills
where the plastic thread housing meets the glass. I may still have
the salt grinder, butt **** it, useless even when they work well.

I'm looking into getting a electric pepper mill next. There's a lot
that get good reviews, but none say how fast they crank out a
teaspoon. I need a teaspoon in 5 or less seconds. Because I'm an
impatient asshole.

> Anyone else have this happen?

Whatever you're trying to describe, no.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, lid
says...

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:21:39 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I have two of these Pepper Mills.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6

> I have/had the same set. The pepper mill broke after 2-3 refills
> where the plastic thread housing meets the glass. I may still have
> the salt grinder, butt **** it, useless even when they work well.
>
> I'm looking into getting a electric pepper mill next. There's a lot
> that get good reviews, but none say how fast they crank out a
> teaspoon. I need a teaspoon in 5 or less seconds. Because I'm an
> impatient asshole.

I have had a Cole and Mason electronic pepper mill for well over 10
years, still perfect and in daily use, battery lasts about 2 years.

I paid about 20 UKP back then worth every penny; can't find quite the
same model but it looks like this

https://www.coleandmason.com/salt-an...ic-mills/cole-
mason-electronic-gourmet-precision-greenwich-stainless-steel-pepper-mill

One-handed touch button, perfect for anyone with arthritis or a weak
grip.It's one of my favourite kitchen gadgets, so much so I have given
them to all my kids.

Janet UK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:21:39 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>
>https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
>
>I did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them.
>They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one in
>the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.
>
>Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened. All
>of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to grind, it
>chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole peppercorn and some
>smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding mechanism. That didn't
>help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At least I didn't pay a lot for
>them!
>
>Anyone else have this happen?

well the ones that are prefilled ones are crap, they are usually one
and done. The ones you buy separate are not that much different, you
can sometimes get several weeks out of it maybe a couple of months and
something goes wrong, something falls off or some other crap happens
that just ****es you off cause you just needed like 1/8 of a tsp to
finish the damn recipe and you freakin pepper mill decided to go all
to crap at that exact moment..

So to answer you question , yes it has happened many times....

Now I just buy the precracked pepper in the little red and tins and I
am perfectly happy. You will not taste a difference.... It is just
like the "organic" fad... There is no taste difference, and the
nutritional difference is so small that if you dont eat every single
of atom of that particular food then you will never even get a
difference, or if you do then the extra time you spend trying to pick
apart the food you will have burned any additional nutrition you may
have gained. It is all a marketing scheme to get you to buy more crap
that is not needed.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 9:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>* Also bought a new Atlas but that was much more
> expensive.

Yeah. About $75.00USD at Sur-High-Tab, about 30 yrs ago. Made from
Turkish coffee grinders, but have a "cast-iron" burr instead of a
"hardened steel" burr (like older Zassenhaus coffee grinders), so the
burr will wear out.

Hardest part is keeping all that brass polished!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 04:07:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:21:39 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>>
>> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6

>I have/had the same set. The pepper mill broke after 2-3 refills
>where the plastic thread housing meets the glass. I may still have
>the salt grinder, butt **** it, useless even when they work well.
>
>I'm looking into getting a electric pepper mill next. There's a lot
>that get good reviews, but none say how fast they crank out a
>teaspoon. I need a teaspoon in 5 or less seconds. Because I'm an
>impatient asshole.
>
>> Anyone else have this happen?

>Whatever you're trying to describe, no.
>
>-sw

how can you people break a pepper mill? I've really only had 2
different ones in my life. One acrylic, one glass(well I had the hand
me down old fashioned wood with crank handles and even a new house
wife could tell those sucked) I got my first acrylic one about 40
years ago and replaced it with a glass one I liked better maybe 20
years ago. Easy to fill, easy to clean, easy to adjust. I can do
cracked pepper to really fine grind and I can do a bunch of pepper in
a short amount of time. Fits the hand nicely. Doesn't dribble pepper
schmutz. And maybe $15 each. It's the Kuhn Rikon Vase Grinder.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 23:49:23 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/28/2019 10:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>>
>> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
>>

>> I did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them.
>> They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one
>> in the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.
>>
>> Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened.
>> All of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to
>> grind, it chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole
>> peppercorn and some smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding
>> mechanism.* That didn't help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At
>> least I didn't pay a lot for them!
>>
>> Anyone else have this happen?

>I guess you don't get much for 10 bucks. Recently bought an Oxo for $12
>that seems to be ok. Also bought a new Atlas but that was much more
>expensive. It got lost in the move, but we had it for about 40 years.
>I like a crank on top rather than turn a wheel for times you want a lot
>of pepper.

That sounds like some helper liked it as much as you did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-01 7:56 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 04:07:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:21:39 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>>>
>>> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6

>> I have/had the same set. The pepper mill broke after 2-3 refills
>> where the plastic thread housing meets the glass. I may still have
>> the salt grinder, butt **** it, useless even when they work well.
>>
>> I'm looking into getting a electric pepper mill next. There's a lot
>> that get good reviews, but none say how fast they crank out a
>> teaspoon. I need a teaspoon in 5 or less seconds. Because I'm an
>> impatient asshole.
>>
>>> Anyone else have this happen?

>> Whatever you're trying to describe, no.
>>
>> -sw

> how can you people break a pepper mill?

A lot of people twist them back and forward, thereby ruining the
grinding mechanism. They are made to turn clockwise, always!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 1:37:53 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:

> A lot of people twist them back and forward, thereby ruining the
> grinding mechanism. They are made to turn clockwise, always!!!

You nailed it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 12:44:13 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 1:37:53 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
>>
>> A lot of people twist them back and forward, thereby ruining the
>> grinding mechanism. They are made to turn clockwise, always!!!
>>

>You nailed it!

And always refill before they're empty, before they're grinding metal
against metal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 12:37:51 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-03-01 7:56 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 04:07:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> I have/had the same set. The pepper mill broke after 2-3 refills
>>> where the plastic thread housing meets the glass. I may still have
>>> the salt grinder, butt **** it, useless even when they work well.
>>>
>>> I'm looking into getting a electric pepper mill next. There's a lot
>>> that get good reviews, but none say how fast they crank out a
>>> teaspoon. I need a teaspoon in 5 or less seconds. Because I'm an
>>> impatient asshole.

>>> Whatever you're trying to describe, no.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> how can you people break a pepper mill?

>A lot of people twist them back and forward, thereby ruining the
>grinding mechanism. They are made to turn clockwise, always!!!

Is that what it is? strange
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Mar 2019 17:58:45 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 12:37:51 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>>On 2019-03-01 7:56 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> how can you people break a pepper mill?

>>A lot of people twist them back and forward, thereby ruining the
>>grinding mechanism. They are made to turn clockwise, always!!!

>Is that what it is? strange

Yes, a subtle instruction on the mill would be handy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 04:07:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:21:39 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>>>
>>> https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6

>>I have/had the same set. The pepper mill broke after 2-3 refills
>>where the plastic thread housing meets the glass. I may still have
>>the salt grinder, butt **** it, useless even when they work well.
>>
>>I'm looking into getting a electric pepper mill next. There's a lot
>>that get good reviews, but none say how fast they crank out a
>>teaspoon. I need a teaspoon in 5 or less seconds. Because I'm an
>>impatient asshole.
>>
>>> Anyone else have this happen?

>>Whatever you're trying to describe, no.
>>
>>-sw

> how can you people break a pepper mill? I've really only had 2
> different ones in my life. One acrylic, one glass(well I had the hand
> me down old fashioned wood with crank handles and even a new house
> wife could tell those sucked) I got my first acrylic one about 40
> years ago and replaced it with a glass one I liked better maybe 20
> years ago. Easy to fill, easy to clean, easy to adjust. I can do
> cracked pepper to really fine grind and I can do a bunch of pepper in
> a short amount of time. Fits the hand nicely. Doesn't dribble pepper
> schmutz. And maybe $15 each. It's the Kuhn Rikon Vase Grinder.
> Janet US

I had one for many years but the metal parts rusted. Have not had good luck
with any since.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 2019-03-01 7:56 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 04:07:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> I have/had the same set. The pepper mill broke after 2-3 refills
>>> where the plastic thread housing meets the glass. I may still have
>>> the salt grinder, butt **** it, useless even when they work well.
>>>
>>> I'm looking into getting a electric pepper mill next. There's a lot
>>> that get good reviews, but none say how fast they crank out a
>>> teaspoon. I need a teaspoon in 5 or less seconds. Because I'm an
>>> impatient asshole.

>>> Whatever you're trying to describe, no.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> how can you people break a pepper mill?

> A lot of people twist them back and forward, thereby ruining the grinding
> mechanism. They are made to turn clockwise, always!!!

I never turn back and forth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 12:44:13 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 1:37:53 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
>>>
>>> A lot of people twist them back and forward, thereby ruining the
>>> grinding mechanism. They are made to turn clockwise, always!!!
>>>

>>You nailed it!

> And always refill before they're empty, before they're grinding metal
> against metal.

Always do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:21:39 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>>
>>https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
>>
>>I did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them.
>>They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one in
>>the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.
>>
>>Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened. All
>>of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to grind, it
>>chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole peppercorn and
>>some
>>smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding mechanism. That didn't
>>help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At least I didn't pay a lot for
>>them!
>>
>>Anyone else have this happen?

> well the ones that are prefilled ones are crap, they are usually one
> and done. The ones you buy separate are not that much different, you
> can sometimes get several weeks out of it maybe a couple of months and
> something goes wrong, something falls off or some other crap happens
> that just ****es you off cause you just needed like 1/8 of a tsp to
> finish the damn recipe and you freakin pepper mill decided to go all
> to crap at that exact moment..
>
> So to answer you question , yes it has happened many times....
>
> Now I just buy the precracked pepper in the little red and tins and I
> am perfectly happy. You will not taste a difference.... It is just
> like the "organic" fad... There is no taste difference, and the
> nutritional difference is so small that if you dont eat every single
> of atom of that particular food then you will never even get a
> difference, or if you do then the extra time you spend trying to pick
> apart the food you will have burned any additional nutrition you may
> have gained. It is all a marketing scheme to get you to buy more crap
> that is not needed.

I do notice the difference. For years, I bought the disposable pre-filled.
Not sure if they still make those or not. I do use a lot of pepper though so
one of those didn't last long. If I have to, I will put peppercorns in a
plastic bag and crush them. Gives a slightly coarser texture than I want but
works in a pinch!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 01:12:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:21:39 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I have two of these Pepper Mills.
>>>
>>>https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6
>>>
>>>I did not purchase them through Amazon. Can't remember where I got them.
>>>They came filled with peppercorns. I got two because I like to keep one in
>>>the kitchen and one near the computer. I usually eat here.
>>>
>>>Both worked fine until I refilled them. Then something weird happened. All
>>>of a sudden, the grinding mechanism went haywire. When I try to grind, it
>>>chips off a bit of the outside. Out plops almost a whole peppercorn and
>>>some
>>>smaller pieces. I did try to adjust the grinding mechanism. That didn't
>>>help. Almost like it's stuck or something! At least I didn't pay a lot for
>>>them!
>>>
>>>Anyone else have this happen?

>> well the ones that are prefilled ones are crap, they are usually one
>> and done. The ones you buy separate are not that much different, you
>> can sometimes get several weeks out of it maybe a couple of months and
>> something goes wrong, something falls off or some other crap happens
>> that just ****es you off cause you just needed like 1/8 of a tsp to
>> finish the damn recipe and you freakin pepper mill decided to go all
>> to crap at that exact moment..
>>
>> So to answer you question , yes it has happened many times....
>>
>> Now I just buy the precracked pepper in the little red and tins and I
>> am perfectly happy. You will not taste a difference.... It is just
>> like the "organic" fad... There is no taste difference, and the
>> nutritional difference is so small that if you dont eat every single
>> of atom of that particular food then you will never even get a
>> difference, or if you do then the extra time you spend trying to pick
>> apart the food you will have burned any additional nutrition you may
>> have gained. It is all a marketing scheme to get you to buy more crap
>> that is not needed.

>I do notice the difference. For years, I bought the disposable pre-filled.
>Not sure if they still make those or not. I do use a lot of pepper though so
>one of those didn't last long. If I have to, I will put peppercorns in a
>plastic bag and crush them. Gives a slightly coarser texture than I want but
>works in a pinch!

just get you a mortar and pestle. I sure you can get a small one for a
few bucks somewhere and then you will not ever have to worry about a
grinder again, you will have fresh cracked pepper and/or salt anytime
you want. Here is one for you for like 5 bucks

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...Pestle/p/24687

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2019 4:12 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message

>> Now I just buy the precracked pepper in the little red and tins and I
>> am perfectly happy. You will not taste a difference.... It is just
>> like the "organic" fad... There is no taste difference, and the
>> nutritional difference is so small that if you dont eat every single
>> of atom of that particular food then you will never even get a
>> difference, or if you do then the extra time you spend trying to pick
>> apart the food you will have burned any additional nutrition you may
>> have gained. It is all a marketing scheme to get you to buy more crap
>> that is not needed.

> I do notice the difference. For years, I bought the disposable
> pre-filled.

Sure, anyone with taste buds can tell the difference.

Back in the 1970's I had breakfast at the home of a business associate I
was going with that morning. He made eggs for us and had a pepper
grinder. I was so impressed with the taste difference I bought one for
us the next weekend. Pepper never tasted so good to me.

Ground spices go to bland quickly as the natural oils and aromatics
flash off.

As for organic foods, no one ever said they taste different, mostly they
are insecticide and chemical free.

Just finished breakfast. Had barely hard boiled eggs and put fresh
ground pepper and kosher salt on them. Damn, they were good. Made for
a heavenly experience.
God Bless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Just finished breakfast. Had barely hard boiled eggs and put fresh
> ground pepper and kosher salt on them. Damn, they were good. Made for
> a heavenly experience.

I had 'breakfast for dinner' last night about 10pm.
Simple...just 4 eggs scrambled to cooked and still moist, s&p.
One piece of rye toast, buttered then cut into 4 strips.
The last strip eaten as dessert with orange marmalade on it.

That rye bread really does go well with eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2019 12:11:28 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Just finished breakfast. Had barely hard boiled eggs and put fresh
>> ground pepper and kosher salt on them. Damn, they were good. Made for
>> a heavenly experience.

>I had 'breakfast for dinner' last night about 10pm.
>Simple...just 4 eggs scrambled to cooked and still moist, s&p.
>One piece of rye toast, buttered then cut into 4 strips.
>The last strip eaten as dessert with orange marmalade on it.
>
>That rye bread really does go well with eggs.

If I ate 4 eggs in one hit, I'd start to make strange clucking sounds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 14:03:05 -0000, Janet wrote:

> In article >, lid
> says...
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:21:39 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I have two of these Pepper Mills.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pepper-Grin... ateway&sr=8-6

>> I have/had the same set. The pepper mill broke after 2-3 refills
>> where the plastic thread housing meets the glass. I may still have
>> the salt grinder, butt **** it, useless even when they work well.
>>
>> I'm looking into getting a electric pepper mill next. There's a lot
>> that get good reviews, but none say how fast they crank out a
>> teaspoon. I need a teaspoon in 5 or less seconds. Because I'm an
>> impatient asshole.

> I have had a Cole and Mason electronic pepper mill for well over 10
> years, still perfect and in daily use, battery lasts about 2 years.
>
> I paid about 20 UKP back then worth every penny; can't find quite the
> same model but it looks like this
>
> https://www.coleandmason.com/salt-an...ic-mills/cole-
> mason-electronic-gourmet-precision-greenwich-stainless-steel-pepper-mill
>
> One-handed touch button, perfect for anyone with arthritis or a weak
> grip.It's one of my favourite kitchen gadgets, so much so I have given
> them to all my kids.

Thanks. They're a little more expensive than others on U.S. Amazon
and slightly lower in reviews stars, but I'll keep them in mind.
How fast do they crank out pepper - a U.K. teaspoon in 4 or less
seconds?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 14:44:26 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 14:03:05 -0000, Janet wrote:
>
>> In article >, lid
>> says...
>>>

>> I have had a Cole and Mason electronic pepper mill for well over 10
>> years, still perfect and in daily use, battery lasts about 2 years.
>>
>> I paid about 20 UKP back then worth every penny; can't find quite the
>> same model but it looks like this

https://www.coleandmason.com/salt-an...ic-mills/cole-
>> mason-electronic-gourmet-precision-greenwich-stainless-steel-pepper-mill
>>
>> One-handed touch button, perfect for anyone with arthritis or a weak
>> grip.It's one of my favourite kitchen gadgets, so much so I have given
>> them to all my kids.

>Thanks. They're a little more expensive than others on U.S. Amazon
>and slightly lower in reviews stars, but I'll keep them in mind.
>How fast do they crank out pepper - a U.K. teaspoon in 4 or less
>seconds?

Because time is of the essence!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Mar 2019 07:56:45 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> how can you people break a pepper mill?

Easy - they make them cheaper and cheaper every year (or day). Not
like they did 20 and 40 years ago.

My 20 year old grinder (and shaker) was $8/set. It was a cheapo at
Target, but refuses to die. It works OK, but I really don't like it
(small capacity, grind adjustment keeps loosening).

And now that I have serious nerve pain in my hand/forearm (and now
spreading to the other one), I can finally justify buying a new one
- electric this time. And hopefully get some use out of it before I
amputate these damned things myself and won't be able to cook at
all.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 12:37:51 -0700, graham wrote:

> On 2019-03-01 7:56 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 04:07:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> I have/had the same set. The pepper mill broke after 2-3 refills
>>> where the plastic thread housing meets the glass. I may still have
>>> the salt grinder, butt **** it, useless even when they work well.
>>>
>>> I'm looking into getting a electric pepper mill next. There's a lot
>>> that get good reviews, but none say how fast they crank out a
>>> teaspoon. I need a teaspoon in 5 or less seconds. Because I'm an
>>> impatient asshole.

>>> Whatever you're trying to describe, no.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> how can you people break a pepper mill?

> A lot of people twist them back and forward, thereby ruining the
> grinding mechanism. They are made to turn clockwise, always!!!

Nah, that's not it (for me at least, maybe for Julie though). These
just suck. The threads on the hopper is also the part that rotates
to grind. It's a shitty design made worse with plastic.

-sw