Old 13-02-2019, 04:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default To the appliance store again

Why to appliances all die at the same time?
We had been having trouble with our washing machine occasionally
refusing to spin. Sometimes it helped to unplug it and let the computer
reset. Sometimes not. The repairman came to look at it and of course it
worked for him. He said it might be the door lock. He would order it.
When it came in he called to let us know but said if it was working
maybe we should not bother. A couple weeks later it acted up again. He
came and installed then new part and it worked. That was almost about
2-1/2 months ago. Last night it screwed up again.

Having spent over $600 in repairs in the last year and a half I didn't
see any point in another expensive repair. My wife never liked that
washer anyway. It was a front loader and needed frequent treatment for
the stink those things are subject to.

That's four major appliances I have had to buy since Christmas.
Hopefully I won't be needing any more appliances for a while.

On Christmas morning I did a load of laundry

Old 13-02-2019, 05:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 10:53:59 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

I HATE all that Tech Enabled CRAP!! The mechanicals work fine and the COMPUTER SCREWS UP!! :-(

****ing COMPUTERS!! Not EVERYTHING needs a computer embedded in it! Like a THERMOSTAT!! All one needs is a bimetal strip! NOT to be able to be adjusted by your Smart Phone!!

OK, the sparky ignitors on an gas stove are nice, but how about NO MORE GAS STOVES? Just make 100% electric stoves HOT enough to cook English Toffee, OK?

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

Old 13-02-2019, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:53:59 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
Why to appliances all die at the same time?

Just to **** you off.

Can you get one of these?

https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-02-2019, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-13 1:13 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:53:59 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
Why to appliances all die at the same time?

Just to **** you off.

Can you get one of these?

https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx

I looked at one of them. They sure ain't cheap.

Old 13-02-2019, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:55:37 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

[...]

It's the law of nature. I had the fridge, computer and food processor
all go within a week.

Old 13-02-2019, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John, why do you have problems making English toffee on an electric stove? I make it every
year on my electric stove, and have no problems at all.

N.
Old 13-02-2019, 06:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a Whirlpool top loading washer (since 2010), and have had no trouble at all. It has an
extra large tub, and it wasn't very expensive...I got it at Lowe's because they were offering a
good price, a free haul-away of my old one, and a gift card. I would be really surprised if it had any kind
of computer in it...it has regular dials and nothing digital on the top. My dryer is also a
Whirlpool, bought at the same time.

Good luck!

N.
Old 13-02-2019, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 6:53:59 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

At one time we had a dream of all Korean appliances. That has pretty much fallen by the wayside. I replaced our LG front loader washer with a Maytag top loader. I like it better in operation than the front loader and as an added bonus, the new washer cost about half of what the LG cost us. Just call me older and wiser.
Old 13-02-2019, 07:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-13 1:13 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:53:59 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
Why to appliances all die at the same time?

Just to **** you off.

Can you get one of these?

https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx

I looked at one of them. They sure ain't cheap.

No, they're not cheap, but they wear like iron and front-loaders
are even more expensive. My last Speed Queen was 17 when my
husband got tired of replacing belts and whatnot. Someone
with more fortitude is probably still using it.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-02-2019, 07:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-13 1:52 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
I have a Whirlpool top loading washer (since 2010), and have had no
trouble at all. It has an extra large tub, and it wasn't very
expensive...I got it at Lowe's because they were offering a good
price, a free haul-away of my old one, and a gift card. I would be
really surprised if it had any kind of computer in it...it has
regular dials and nothing digital on the top. My dryer is also a
Whirlpool, bought at the same time.

The old one was a Cosby, apparently made by Maytag. I wish I had known
that before I bought it. The new one is a Sumsung that was on sale... at
least that is the way it was being marketed. Thanks to my repeat
business they are dropped $50 off the delivery and no charge to take
away the old one. It is a top loader. They have a number of machines
with regular looking dials, but they are actually connected to
computerized controls, not mechanical switches. I had not realized that
newer washing machines no longer have those big agitators.

Old 13-02-2019, 07:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 9:38:24 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2019-02-13 1:52 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
[...]

Not only do they not have big agitators, they also use very little water during their wash cycles. It's a little shocking. My guess is that you can still get a machine that uses gallons and gallons of water. Just look for a machine that has an old style tall agitator.
Old 13-02-2019, 08:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/2019 12:48 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
John, why do you have problems making English toffee on an electric stove? I make it every
year on my electric stove, and have no problems at all.

N.

* Well , you're not a stable genius ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 13-02-2019, 09:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/2019 4:15 PM, tert in seattle wrote:

my front load washer doesn't smell because I leave the door open when
not in use, as directed - and I use the right amount of detergent

Yes. And an occasional 'boil wash' can also help.
Old 13-02-2019, 10:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level settings. Mine goes from XS to
XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue the point that front
loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink the front loaders accrue.

N.