Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buying Knives at Asian store - Kiwin brand available at one store

I got a 7" Anolon Adavanced Santoku for $16 after a 20% coupon in Bed
Bath and Beyond store to give it to someone. I own a 5.5." one and
love it. Since I want to give a smaller knife as well, when I was at
an Asian store looking for a carbon steel Wok for my brother, I saw a
bunch of knives and bought two that look kind of like the shape in the
second one from top in the first picture (except that there is no
curve at all at the other end of the knife shown as in the picture) at
http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products...wi-knives.html

In the two I bought, one is wider than the other. When I tested it
yesterday, the smaller width one was good for cutting green round
eggplants I happen to have - love those green eggplant with shrimp to
make curry using garlic, onion, tumeric powder and chili powder -
while it couldn't be used to crush cloves of peeled garlic. So I used
the bigger one for crushing the garlic and it worked though not as
well as with the Wusthof cleaver I own.

Frankly, I bought those knives to be done with my search for another
knife (aside from 7" Santouku) to give but NOW, I am realizing that
may be they will stain and/or food like potatoes would get stick next
to the blade, etc.. I am wondering whether I should keep them or not
though they are very sharp and I paid $4.59 an $5.49.

Any thought?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am keeping one that fits in the guard I have and return the other
which doesn't fit in either the gurad or the kitchen block's slot.

On Jun 12, 9:33*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> I got a 7" Anolon Adavanced Santoku *for $16 after a 20% coupon in Bed
> Bath and Beyond store to give it to someone. I own a 5.5." one and
> love it. Since I want to give a smaller knife as well, when I was at
> an Asian store looking for a carbon steel Wok for my brother, I saw a
> bunch of knives and bought two that look kind of like the shape in the
> second one from top in the first picture (except that there is no
> curve at all at the other end of the knife shown as in the picture) athttp://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/cleavers/thai-kiwi-knives.html
>
> In the two I bought, one is wider than the other. *When I tested it
> yesterday, the smaller width one was good for cutting green round
> eggplants I happen to have - love those green eggplant with shrimp to
> make curry using garlic, onion, tumeric powder and chili powder -
> while it couldn't be used to crush cloves of peeled garlic. So I used
> the bigger one for crushing the garlic and it worked though not as
> well as with the Wusthof cleaver I own.
>
> Frankly, I bought those knives to be done with my search for another
> knife (aside from 7" Santouku) to give but NOW, I am realizing that
> may be they will stain and/or food like potatoes would get stick next
> to the blade, etc.. *I am wondering whether I should keep them or not
> though they are very sharp *and I paid $4.59 an $5.49.
>
> Any thought?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:33:51 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>I got a 7" Anolon Adavanced Santoku for $16 after a 20% coupon in Bed
>Bath and Beyond store to give it to someone. I own a 5.5." one and
>love it. Since I want to give a smaller knife as well, when I was at
>an Asian store looking for a carbon steel Wok for my brother, I saw a
>bunch of knives and bought two that look kind of like the shape in the
>second one from top in the first picture (except that there is no
>curve at all at the other end of the knife shown as in the picture) at
>http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products...wi-knives.html
>
>In the two I bought, one is wider than the other. When I tested it
>yesterday, the smaller width one was good for cutting green round
>eggplants I happen to have - love those green eggplant with shrimp to
>make curry using garlic, onion, tumeric powder and chili powder -
>while it couldn't be used to crush cloves of peeled garlic. So I used
>the bigger one for crushing the garlic and it worked though not as
>well as with the Wusthof cleaver I own.
>
>Frankly, I bought those knives to be done with my search for another
>knife (aside from 7" Santouku) to give but NOW, I am realizing that
>may be they will stain and/or food like potatoes would get stick next
>to the blade, etc.. I am wondering whether I should keep them or not
>though they are very sharp and I paid $4.59 an $5.49.
>
>Any thought?

They're so inexpensive there's nothing to think, keep them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 3:44*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:33:51 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>

> > wrote:
> >I got a 7" Anolon Adavanced Santoku *for $16 after a 20% coupon in Bed
> >Bath and Beyond store to give it to someone. I own a 5.5." one and
> >love it. Since I want to give a smaller knife as well, when I was at
> >an Asian store looking for a carbon steel Wok for my brother, I saw a
> >bunch of knives and bought two that look kind of like the shape in the
> >second one from top in the first picture (except that there is no
> >curve at all at the other end of the knife shown as in the picture) at
> >http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products...wi-knives.html

> >In the two I bought, one is wider than the other. *When I tested it
> >yesterday, the smaller width one was good for cutting green round
> >eggplants I happen to have - love those green eggplant with shrimp to
> >make curry using garlic, onion, tumeric powder and chili powder -
> >while it couldn't be used to crush cloves of peeled garlic. So I used
> >the bigger one for crushing the garlic and it worked though not as
> >well as with the Wusthof cleaver I own.

> >Frankly, I bought those knives to be done with my search for another
> >knife (aside from 7" Santouku) to give but NOW, I am realizing that
> >may be they will stain and/or food like potatoes would get stick next
> >to the blade, etc.. *I am wondering whether I should keep them or not
> >though they are very sharp *and I paid $4.59 an $5.49.

> >Any thought?

> They're so inexpensive

Yeah, that's why I bought two thinking they appeared sharp and would
be useful.

> there's nothing to think, keep them.

Only one of then fits in the guard I have and the biggest slot in my
knife block. So, if he doesn't take that one, I'll be keeping it.