FoodBanter.com

-   -   To the appliance store again (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445861-appliance-store-again.html)

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-02-2019 05:55 PM

To the appliance store again

Why to appliances all die at the same time?
We had been having trouble with our washing machine occasionally
refusing to spin. Sometimes it helped to unplug it and let the computer
reset. Sometimes not. The repairman came to look at it and of course it
worked for him. He said it might be the door lock. He would order it.
When it came in he called to let us know but said if it was working
maybe we should not bother. A couple weeks later it acted up again. He
came and installed then new part and it worked. That was almost about
2-1/2 months ago. Last night it screwed up again.

Having spent over $600 in repairs in the last year and a half I didn't
see any point in another expensive repair. My wife never liked that
washer anyway. It was a front loader and needed frequent treatment for
the stink those things are subject to.

That's four major appliances I have had to buy since Christmas.
Hopefully I won't be needing any more appliances for a while.

On Christmas morning I did a load of laundry

John Kuthe[_3_] 13-02-2019 06:21 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 10:53:59 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> Why to appliances all die at the same time?
> We had been having trouble with our washing machine occasionally
> refusing to spin. Sometimes it helped to unplug it and let the computer
> reset. Sometimes not. The repairman came to look at it and of course it
> worked for him. He said it might be the door lock. He would order it.
> When it came in he called to let us know but said if it was working
> maybe we should not bother. A couple weeks later it acted up again. He
> came and installed then new part and it worked. That was almost about
> 2-1/2 months ago. Last night it screwed up again.
>
> Having spent over $600 in repairs in the last year and a half I didn't
> see any point in another expensive repair. My wife never liked that
> washer anyway. It was a front loader and needed frequent treatment for
> the stink those things are subject to.
>
> That's four major appliances I have had to buy since Christmas.
> Hopefully I won't be needing any more appliances for a while.
>

> On Christmas morning I did a load of laundry

I HATE all that Tech Enabled CRAP!! The mechanicals work fine and the COMPUTER SCREWS UP!! :-(

****ing COMPUTERS!! Not EVERYTHING needs a computer embedded in it! Like a THERMOSTAT!! All one needs is a bimetal strip! NOT to be able to be adjusted by your Smart Phone!!

OK, the sparky ignitors on an gas stove are nice, but how about NO MORE GAS STOVES? Just make 100% electric stoves HOT enough to cook English Toffee, OK?

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 13-02-2019 07:13 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:53:59 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> Why to appliances all die at the same time?

Just to **** you off.

Can you get one of these?

<https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx>

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-02-2019 07:29 PM

On 2019-02-13 1:13 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:53:59 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Why to appliances all die at the same time?

> Just to **** you off.
>
> Can you get one of these?
>
> <https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx>

I looked at one of them. They sure ain't cheap.

U.S. Janet B. 13-02-2019 07:33 PM

To the appliance store again

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:55:37 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Why to appliances all die at the same time?
>We had been having trouble with our washing machine occasionally
>refusing to spin. Sometimes it helped to unplug it and let the computer
>reset. Sometimes not. The repairman came to look at it and of course it
>worked for him. He said it might be the door lock. He would order it.
>When it came in he called to let us know but said if it was working
>maybe we should not bother. A couple weeks later it acted up again. He
>came and installed then new part and it worked. That was almost about
>2-1/2 months ago. Last night it screwed up again.
>
>Having spent over $600 in repairs in the last year and a half I didn't
>see any point in another expensive repair. My wife never liked that
>washer anyway. It was a front loader and needed frequent treatment for
>the stink those things are subject to.
>
>That's four major appliances I have had to buy since Christmas.
>Hopefully I won't be needing any more appliances for a while.

>On Christmas morning I did a load of laundry

It's the law of nature. I had the fridge, computer and food processor
all go within a week.

Nancy2[_2_] 13-02-2019 07:48 PM

To the appliance store again

John, why do you have problems making English toffee on an electric stove? I make it every
year on my electric stove, and have no problems at all.

N.

Nancy2[_2_] 13-02-2019 07:52 PM

To the appliance store again

I have a Whirlpool top loading washer (since 2010), and have had no trouble at all. It has an
extra large tub, and it wasn't very expensive...I got it at Lowe's because they were offering a
good price, a free haul-away of my old one, and a gift card. I would be really surprised if it had any kind
of computer in it...it has regular dials and nothing digital on the top. My dryer is also a
Whirlpool, bought at the same time.

Good luck!

N.

dsi1[_2_] 13-02-2019 08:23 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 6:53:59 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> Why to appliances all die at the same time?
> We had been having trouble with our washing machine occasionally
> refusing to spin. Sometimes it helped to unplug it and let the computer
> reset. Sometimes not. The repairman came to look at it and of course it
> worked for him. He said it might be the door lock. He would order it.
> When it came in he called to let us know but said if it was working
> maybe we should not bother. A couple weeks later it acted up again. He
> came and installed then new part and it worked. That was almost about
> 2-1/2 months ago. Last night it screwed up again.
>
> Having spent over $600 in repairs in the last year and a half I didn't
> see any point in another expensive repair. My wife never liked that
> washer anyway. It was a front loader and needed frequent treatment for
> the stink those things are subject to.
>
> That's four major appliances I have had to buy since Christmas.
> Hopefully I won't be needing any more appliances for a while.
>

> On Christmas morning I did a load of laundry

At one time we had a dream of all Korean appliances. That has pretty much fallen by the wayside. I replaced our LG front loader washer with a Maytag top loader. I like it better in operation than the front loader and as an added bonus, the new washer cost about half of what the LG cost us. Just call me older and wiser. :)

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 13-02-2019 08:36 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 1:28:07 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-13 1:13 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:53:59 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> Why to appliances all die at the same time?

> > Just to **** you off.
> >
> > Can you get one of these?
> >
> > <https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx>
> >

> I looked at one of them. They sure ain't cheap.

No, they're not cheap, but they wear like iron and front-loaders
are even more expensive. My last Speed Queen was 17 when my
husband got tired of replacing belts and whatnot. Someone
with more fortitude is probably still using it.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-02-2019 08:40 PM

On 2019-02-13 1:52 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> I have a Whirlpool top loading washer (since 2010), and have had no
> trouble at all. It has an extra large tub, and it wasn't very
> expensive...I got it at Lowe's because they were offering a good
> price, a free haul-away of my old one, and a gift card. I would be
> really surprised if it had any kind of computer in it...it has
> regular dials and nothing digital on the top. My dryer is also a
> Whirlpool, bought at the same time.

The old one was a Cosby, apparently made by Maytag. I wish I had known
that before I bought it. The new one is a Sumsung that was on sale... at
least that is the way it was being marketed. Thanks to my repeat
business they are dropped $50 off the delivery and no charge to take
away the old one. It is a top loader. They have a number of machines
with regular looking dials, but they are actually connected to
computerized controls, not mechanical switches. I had not realized that
newer washing machines no longer have those big agitators.

dsi1[_2_] 13-02-2019 08:44 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 9:38:24 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-13 1:52 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> > I have a Whirlpool top loading washer (since 2010), and have had no
> > trouble at all. It has an extra large tub, and it wasn't very
> > expensive...I got it at Lowe's because they were offering a good
> > price, a free haul-away of my old one, and a gift card. I would be
> > really surprised if it had any kind of computer in it...it has
> > regular dials and nothing digital on the top. My dryer is also a
> > Whirlpool, bought at the same time.
> >

> The old one was a Cosby, apparently made by Maytag. I wish I had known
> that before I bought it. The new one is a Sumsung that was on sale... at
> least that is the way it was being marketed. Thanks to my repeat
> business they are dropped $50 off the delivery and no charge to take
> away the old one. It is a top loader. They have a number of machines
> with regular looking dials, but they are actually connected to
> computerized controls, not mechanical switches. I had not realized that
> newer washing machines no longer have those big agitators.

Not only do they not have big agitators, they also use very little water during their wash cycles. It's a little shocking. My guess is that you can still get a machine that uses gallons and gallons of water. Just look for a machine that has an old style tall agitator.

Terry Coombs 13-02-2019 09:22 PM

On 2/13/2019 12:48 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> John, why do you have problems making English toffee on an electric stove? I make it every
> year on my electric stove, and have no problems at all.
>
> N.

Â* Well , you're not a stable genius ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

tert in seattle 13-02-2019 10:15 PM

writes:

>Having spent over $600 in repairs in the last year and a half I didn't
>see any point in another expensive repair. My wife never liked that
>washer anyway. It was a front loader and needed frequent treatment for
>the stink those things are subject to.

my front load washer doesn't smell because I leave the door open when
not in use, as directed - and I use the right amount of detergent

it'll be 13 years old this summer

S Viemeister[_2_] 13-02-2019 10:36 PM

On 2/13/2019 4:15 PM, tert in seattle wrote:

> my front load washer doesn't smell because I leave the door open when
> not in use, as directed - and I use the right amount of detergent

Yes. And an occasional 'boil wash' can also help.

Nancy2[_2_] 13-02-2019 11:40 PM

To the appliance store again

dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level settings. Mine goes from XS to
XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue the point that front
loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink the front loaders accrue.

N.

dsi1[_2_] 13-02-2019 11:51 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 12:41:01 PM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level settings. Mine goes from XS to
> XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue the point that front
> loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink the front loaders accrue.
>
> N.

My top loader has numerous settings too. It even has a deep water wash setting. That would probably be our favorite wash setting. It still doesn't really do much since the clothes never get submerged - they just flop around on a bird bath level of water.

My point was that you can probably still get an old style washer that uses a lot of water. Well, at least I've seen a few washers with the old style agitators.

Sqwertz[_53_] 14-02-2019 03:30 AM

To the appliance store again

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:55:37 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> On Christmas morning I did a load of laundry

That's at least the second time you've told us this fascinating
tidbit (and I only read 1/10th of your posts). 5 years from now
you'll still be reminiscing about that load of laundry you did on
Christmas morning 2018. Don't forget, your wife was mopping the
kitchen floor, too. That makes your post twice as exciting.

ObWasher: Sears Kenmore Series 70 model 110. Did the first load in
it in 1986 and it's averaged 3 full-size loads a week ever since (4
just in the past 24 hours). That's 1,716 loads. Or $.17/load +
water and electricity. Not a single service call in 33 years for
either the washer or the matching dryer (240V electric). The only
complaint I have is when I load up the whites and I accidentally put
one leg of my briefs over the agitator. Then your dick and balls
flap to one side while I prefer my package to be a little more
secure.

I've also had 2 microwaves in my lifetime, both Kenmore. I
inherited the big 'ol convection microwave we bought when I was 10
years old and lasted me until I was about 32 or 34. It was the
console TV of microwaves, could fit a 24lb turkey easily. Bought a
replacement Sunbeam from Walmart that lasted 24 hours before I
returned it. Spent the extra $130 and got another Kenmore that's
lasted 20 years.

I'm gonna miss Sears Kenmore. I know Sears doesn't make Kenmore but
they're farmed out to the names brands. But they're made to Sears
spec - No frills, reliable, and probably better than any of the
models that come out of that same name brand factory (I think the
washer/dryer are a White Westinghouse, IIRC).

It would be nice of this damned 33 year old General Electric
dishwater would break. I've been having to rely on it much more
since I have nerve pain in my arms and can't wash dishes by hand as
well.

-sw

Sqwertz[_53_] 14-02-2019 05:14 AM

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:36:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> No, they're not cheap, but they wear like iron and front-loaders
> are even more expensive. My last Speed Queen was 17 when my
> husband got tired of replacing belts and whatnot. Someone
> with more fortitude is probably still using it.

I like their marketing "Built to last 25 years" (but 5 year
warranty). 17 years and multiple part replacements isn't a glowing
endorsement, IMO. My Kenmore has doubled that lifetime (33 years)
for half the price (in 1986 dollars) and no part replacements or
service calls at all (knock on wood). But I've only ever bought one
washer in my lifetime so I'm a fortunate newbie and didn't realize
this wasn't typical.

-sw

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 14-02-2019 05:26 AM

On 2/13/2019 11:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:36:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> No, they're not cheap, but they wear like iron and front-loaders
>> are even more expensive. My last Speed Queen was 17 when my
>> husband got tired of replacing belts and whatnot. Someone
>> with more fortitude is probably still using it.

> I like their marketing "Built to last 25 years" (but 5 year
> warranty). 17 years and multiple part replacements isn't a glowing
> endorsement, IMO. My Kenmore has doubled that lifetime (33 years)
> for half the price (in 1986 dollars) and no part replacements or
> service calls at all (knock on wood). But I've only ever bought one
> washer in my lifetime so I'm a fortunate newbie and didn't realize
> this wasn't typical.
>
> -sw

Better that average/ I've bought 4 in 52 years and the last one is
still running. In the end, close to your 17 years. First one was 15
years and still running when we moved. All Maytag Bought new ones here
because it just made more sense than hauling them.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 14-02-2019 12:18 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:13:27 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:36:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > No, they're not cheap, but they wear like iron and front-loaders
> > are even more expensive. My last Speed Queen was 17 when my
> > husband got tired of replacing belts and whatnot. Someone
> > with more fortitude is probably still using it.

> I like their marketing "Built to last 25 years" (but 5 year
> warranty). 17 years and multiple part replacements isn't a glowing
> endorsement, IMO. My Kenmore has doubled that lifetime (33 years)
> for half the price (in 1986 dollars) and no part replacements or
> service calls at all (knock on wood). But I've only ever bought one
> washer in my lifetime so I'm a fortunate newbie and didn't realize
> this wasn't typical.

I expect belts and stuff to wear out, just as they do on cars.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith[_1_] 14-02-2019 04:00 PM

On 2019-02-14 6:18 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:13:27 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:36:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> No, they're not cheap, but they wear like iron and front-loaders
>>> are even more expensive. My last Speed Queen was 17 when my
>>> husband got tired of replacing belts and whatnot. Someone
>>> with more fortitude is probably still using it.

>> I like their marketing "Built to last 25 years" (but 5 year
>> warranty). 17 years and multiple part replacements isn't a glowing
>> endorsement, IMO. My Kenmore has doubled that lifetime (33 years)
>> for half the price (in 1986 dollars) and no part replacements or
>> service calls at all (knock on wood). But I've only ever bought one
>> washer in my lifetime so I'm a fortunate newbie and didn't realize
>> this wasn't typical.

> I expect belts and stuff to wear out, just as they do on cars.

Automotive belts are subjected to a lot more use and at higher speeds.
It would be nice if we got a similar life out of appliance belts.

Ophelia[_16_] 14-02-2019 04:42 PM

"Nancy2" wrote in message

dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level
settings. Mine goes from XS to
XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue
the point that front
loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink
the front loaders accrue.

N.

==

I've had front loaders for decades and have never had one stink!

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 14-02-2019 04:56 PM

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 10:45:35 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy2" wrote in message
>
> dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level
> settings. Mine goes from XS to
> XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue
> the point that front
> loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink
> the front loaders accrue.
>
> N.
>
> ==
>
> I've had front loaders for decades and have never had one stink!

It depends on the design. A lot of U.S. front-loaders hold water
in little nooks and crannies. I had one that had an accordion seal
at the front, and there was always a little water left in it.

Cindy Hamilton

cshenk 14-02-2019 05:10 PM

To the appliance store again

In article >,
says...

> "Nancy2" wrote in message
>
> dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level
> settings. Mine goes from XS to
> XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue
> the point that front
> loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink
> the front loaders accrue.
>
> N.
>
> ==
>
> I've had front loaders for decades and have never had one stink!

The smell of your upper lip covers it up!

Ophelia[_16_] 14-02-2019 05:15 PM

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 10:45:35 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy2" wrote in message
>
> dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level
> settings. Mine goes from XS to
> XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue
> the point that front
> loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink
> the front loaders accrue.
>
> N.
>
> ==
>
> I've had front loaders for decades and have never had one stink!

It depends on the design. A lot of U.S. front-loaders hold water
in little nooks and crannies. I had one that had an accordion seal
at the front, and there was always a little water left in it.

Cindy Hamilton

==

OK, I can't comment on US front loaders.

Nancy Young[_9_] 14-02-2019 05:18 PM

On 2/13/2019 1:52 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> I have a Whirlpool top loading washer (since 2010), and have had no trouble at all. It has an
> extra large tub, and it wasn't very expensive...I got it at Lowe's because they were offering a
> good price, a free haul-away of my old one, and a gift card. I would be really surprised if it had any kind
> of computer in it...it has regular dials and nothing digital on the top. My dryer is also a
> Whirlpool, bought at the same time.

I have a Whirlpool set about the same age. So far so good, one dryer
repair. I looked at the sexy new front loaders but opted for the
plain old fashioned kind because those new ones take Way Too Long to
complete the wash cycle.

nancy

Nancy Young[_9_] 14-02-2019 05:25 PM

On 2/13/2019 5:40 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level settings. Mine goes from XS to
> XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons,

My washer settings are variable, you turn the dial from really low to
full with no incremental settings. If that makes since.

nancy

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 14-02-2019 05:47 PM

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 11:18:21 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/13/2019 1:52 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > I have a Whirlpool top loading washer (since 2010), and have had no trouble at all. It has an
> > extra large tub, and it wasn't very expensive...I got it at Lowe's because they were offering a
> > good price, a free haul-away of my old one, and a gift card. I would be really surprised if it had any kind
> > of computer in it...it has regular dials and nothing digital on the top. My dryer is also a
> > Whirlpool, bought at the same time.

> I have a Whirlpool set about the same age. So far so good, one dryer
> repair. I looked at the sexy new front loaders but opted for the
> plain old fashioned kind because those new ones take Way Too Long to
> complete the wash cycle.
>
> nancy

Agreed. My top-loader and dryer take about the same amount of time
to cycle for all but the heaviest items. Pipelining the laundry on
the weekend works out very well.

Cindy Hamilton

dsi1[_2_] 14-02-2019 06:02 PM

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 5:45:35 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy2" wrote in message
>
> dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level
> settings. Mine goes from XS to
> XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue
> the point that front
> loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink
> the front loaders accrue.
>
> N.
>
> ==
>
> I've had front loaders for decades and have never had one stink!

Americans have primitive washers that can only wash. To dry clothes, they have to take the clothes out of the washer and move them to a separate dryer.. Having a washer that also drys clothes like the ones the Brits have would help alleviate standing water left in the drum.

OTOH, my guess is that a lot of stinky washers could be helped by simply leveling them properly so they can drain properly.

dsi1[_2_] 14-02-2019 06:19 PM

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 1:18:16 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:13:27 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:36:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > > No, they're not cheap, but they wear like iron and front-loaders
> > > are even more expensive. My last Speed Queen was 17 when my
> > > husband got tired of replacing belts and whatnot. Someone
> > > with more fortitude is probably still using it.

> > I like their marketing "Built to last 25 years" (but 5 year
> > warranty). 17 years and multiple part replacements isn't a glowing
> > endorsement, IMO. My Kenmore has doubled that lifetime (33 years)
> > for half the price (in 1986 dollars) and no part replacements or
> > service calls at all (knock on wood). But I've only ever bought one
> > washer in my lifetime so I'm a fortunate newbie and didn't realize
> > this wasn't typical.

> I expect belts and stuff to wear out, just as they do on cars.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The weird thing about belts in driers is that they're so thin and skinny. You'd think it would break after a couple of hours. It's amazing how durable the belts are. The second strange thing is that they've been using the same drive system for at least the last half century - the same design and even the same parts. The control systems might be pretty digital flashy but the mechanicals are kind of primitive.

Nancy Young[_9_] 14-02-2019 06:34 PM

On 2/14/2019 11:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 11:18:21 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

>> plain old fashioned kind because those new ones take Way Too Long to
>> complete the wash cycle.

> Agreed. My top-loader and dryer take about the same amount of time
> to cycle for all but the heaviest items. Pipelining the laundry on
> the weekend works out very well.

Exactly. I generally take a load out of the dryer, add the
stuff from the washer, start a new wash, all in one trip.

nancy

Nancy2[_2_] 14-02-2019 06:50 PM

To the appliance store again

Nancy, my other problem with front loaders is I don't trust a thorough wash unless it uses plenty
of water. The front loaders in the laundromats use lots of water.

N.

[email protected][_2_] 14-02-2019 06:59 PM

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 11:02:49 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> Americans have primitive washers that can only wash. To dry clothes, they have to take the clothes out of the washer and move them to a separate dryer. Having a washer that also drys clothes like the ones the Brits have would help alleviate standing water left in the drum.

I suspect those washers are available there due to lack of space for two machines.
The advantage of two machines is while one load is being dried another is washing
then can go in the separate dryer while starting another load of laundry.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 14-02-2019 07:05 PM

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 12:02:49 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 5:45:35 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Nancy2" wrote in message
> >
> > dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level
> > settings. Mine goes from XS to
> > XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue
> > the point that front
> > loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink
> > the front loaders accrue.
> >
> > N.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I've had front loaders for decades and have never had one stink!

> Americans have primitive washers that can only wash. To dry clothes, they have to take the clothes out of the washer and move them to a separate dryer.

It would take me twice as long to do laundry. No, thanks.

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 14-02-2019 07:28 PM

On 2/14/2019 12:59 PM, wrote:

> I suspect those washers are available there due to lack of space for two machines.
> The advantage of two machines is while one load is being dried another is washing
> then can go in the separate dryer while starting another load of laundry.

Not to mention simplicity of design.

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 14-02-2019 07:30 PM

On 2/14/2019 12:50 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Nancy, my other problem with front loaders is I don't trust a thorough wash unless it uses plenty
> of water. The front loaders in the laundromats use lots of water.
>
> N.

Most top loaders use minimal water now too. They seem to work ok though.

dsi1[_2_] 14-02-2019 08:09 PM

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 7:59:04 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 11:02:49 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Americans have primitive washers that can only wash. To dry clothes, they have to take the clothes out of the washer and move them to a separate dryer. Having a washer that also drys clothes like the ones the Brits have would help alleviate standing water left in the drum.
> >

> I suspect those washers are available there due to lack of space for two machines.
> The advantage of two machines is while one load is being dried another is washing
> then can go in the separate dryer while starting another load of laundry.

What you say is probably true. In my case, loading and unloading a washing machine only once would be greatly appreciated! As it goes, I'm not really into washing clothes. What guy is?

dsi1[_2_] 14-02-2019 08:12 PM

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 8:05:55 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 12:02:49 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 5:45:35 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > > "Nancy2" wrote in message
> > >
> > > dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level
> > > settings. Mine goes from XS to
> > > XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue
> > > the point that front
> > > loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink
> > > the front loaders accrue.
> > >
> > > N.
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > I've had front loaders for decades and have never had one stink!

> > Americans have primitive washers that can only wash. To dry clothes, they have to take the clothes out of the washer and move them to a separate dryer.

> It would take me twice as long to do laundry. No, thanks.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I hereby decree that these types of washer/dryers shall be forever banned from our shores. Rest in comfort. :)

Dave Smith[_1_] 14-02-2019 08:25 PM

On 2019-02-14 12:50 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> Nancy, my other problem with front loaders is I don't trust a
> thorough wash unless it uses plenty of water. The front loaders in
> the laundromats use lots of water.

One of the selling features of front loaders is that they use a lot less
water. Having a well and cistern and sometimes having to conserve as
much water as possible, that was major plus for me.

Dave Smith[_1_] 14-02-2019 08:48 PM

On 2019-02-14 1:05 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 12:02:49 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 5:45:35 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Nancy2" wrote in message
>>>
>>> dsi1, the new agitator top loaders can have at least 5 or more water level
>>> settings. Mine goes from XS to
>>> XL....so it really doesn't use gallons and gallons, although I won't argue
>>> the point that front
>>> loaders use less. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the notorious stink
>>> the front loaders accrue.
>>>
>>> N.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I've had front loaders for decades and have never had one stink!

>> Americans have primitive washers that can only wash. To dry clothes, they have to take the clothes out of the washer and move them to a separate dryer.

> It would take me twice as long to do laundry. No, thanks.

I have never seen one but checked them out on line. They are available.
Most of them are small, less than half the capacity of a standard washer.