Old 13-01-2019, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Heating some deli roast beef

So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

---

Old 13-01-2019, 06:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 20:06:59 -0500, wrote:

So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

---

pick up a packet of au jus mix. Make the mix and when hot quickly
submerge the beef for a very brief time and then remove the meat. It
should have gotten hot without changing the texture or doneness.
Normally I would say to submerge the meat in the gravy from the roast
but you don't have that.
Janet US
Old 13-01-2019, 02:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...

So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

Well, I wouldn't.

I'd just cook a good steak medium rare and serve it with the roast beef
accompaniments (yorkshire pud, gravy, horse radish sauce, roast
potatoes, veg etc.)

Janet UK

Old 13-01-2019, 02:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-13 6:52 a.m., Janet wrote:
In article , rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...

So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

Well, I wouldn't.

Neither would I! I *never* reheat roast meat. It tastes vile to me.
Old 13-01-2019, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-13 8:53 a.m., graham wrote:

Neither would I! I *never* reheat roast meat. It tastes vile to me.

There are ways heat leftover roast that I find palatable. Roast beef,
chicken or turkey can be warmed gently in gravy. I use up leftover lamb
by making a curry. I didn't roast any pork for ages because I had no
way to use up the leftovers. One day I chopped it finely and used it in
a tomato sauce on pasta and it turned out very nicely.
Old 13-01-2019, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 19:22:17 -0700, jay wrote:

On 1/12/19 6:06 PM, wrote:
So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

---

I would just slap it down in a very hot skillet and turn rather quickly.

jay

I'd cover it with hot beef gravy in my plate, just want to warm it,
not cook it. Would be smarter to have the deli slice it, then prepare
open face sandwiches warmed with heated gravy.... heat the bread with
gravy and then place the slices of beef, then more gravy on top.

Even if just for me I'd still oven roast a smallish beef roast, eat
how much I want while hot, and put the remainder in the fridge, cold
meat is much easier to slice as needed... I like a cold roast beef
sandwhich but you can still use the above procedure to warm an open
faced sandwhich. Roast beef from a deli costs at least twice as much
as one roasted yourself... and deli roast beef contains exsessive
fat... they purposely choose the fattiest roasts to increase profits
as deli roast beef is sold by weight.
Old 13-01-2019, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-13 6:52 a.m., Janet wrote:
In article , rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...

So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

Well, I wouldn't.

Neither would I! I *never* reheat roast meat. It tastes vile to me.

It's fine *warmed* with gravy, you don't want it hot or it will no
longer be rare. Even a roast you cook yourself is eaten warm... after
it rests and is carved it's not hot. Roast beef cooked rare is never
really hot while roasting, at best 130 is barely tepid... after
resting and slicing it's only a few degrees over room temperature,
plced on a cold plate it'll barely be room temperature... anyone who
wants hot roast beef doesn't like rare.

Old 13-01-2019, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-13 6:52 a.m., Janet wrote:
In article , rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...

So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

Well, I wouldn't.

Neither would I! I *never* reheat roast meat. It tastes vile to me.

I don't like 'reheated' meat either. But running cold slices through
hot gravy takes the chill off without the reheating flavor.
Janet US
Old 14-01-2019, 03:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for all the great advice. I think this will be my dinner tonight. I owe
myself a good meal. I spent the week of Christmas in the hospital and,well, you
know hospital food...!