Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Question on heating pulled pork roast

"Bob-tx" > wrote

> My real question comes about when I go to re-heat it. At what oven
> temperature should I re-heat it, and about how long will it take? Does the
> internal temp have to get up to 190 again?

You should bring it to about 140+ for safety, but hot enough to pull would
be fine. . Or pull it the same day and they reheat it easily in a crock
pot, microwave, or pot on the stove.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

For an early picnic next Saturday, I am cueing a ten pound pork
roast for pulled pork sandwiches.

We are supposed to eat at 11:00 am, so I won't have time to do it
that day.

I plan to smoke it Friday. I guess just let it cool down for an
hour or so and then put it in the fridge. Would this time to cool
seem about right?

My real question comes about when I go to re-heat it. At what oven
temperature should I re-heat it, and about how long will it take?
Does the internal temp have to get up to 190 again?

Sure would appreciate any suggestions you guys have. I've probably
done hundreds of pork roasts in my long life, but never had to
re-heat one before it was pulled.

Thanks for your help.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob-tx wrote:
> For an early picnic next Saturday, I am cueing a ten pound pork
> roast for pulled pork sandwiches.
>
> We are supposed to eat at 11:00 am, so I won't have time to do it
> that day.
>
> I plan to smoke it Friday. I guess just let it cool down for an
> hour or so and then put it in the fridge. Would this time to cool
> seem about right?
>
> My real question comes about when I go to re-heat it. At what oven
> temperature should I re-heat it, and about how long will it take?
> Does the internal temp have to get up to 190 again?
>
> Sure would appreciate any suggestions you guys have. I've probably
> done hundreds of pork roasts in my long life, but never had to
> re-heat one before it was pulled.

You need to cool it down below 40F within 2 hours. Pull the meat, spread it
out on a sheet pan, and it will cool quickly down quickly to room
temperature (less than 15 minutes) so that it can then be further cooled in
the refrigerator. I like to store the meat in a bowl with plastic wrap right
on top of the meat to reduce dehydration in the refrigerator.

To reheat, bring the meat up to over 140F within one hour. You can reheat
the meat in smaller portions than the entire bowl. I like using the
microwave for reheating pulled pork.... it is quick, and it doesn't dry-out
the meat as it would in the oven. I used to boil pulled pork in food-saver
bags, but found it quicker and easier to use the mw while maintaining the
quality of the product.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 22, 3:24*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> I used to boil pulled pork in food-saver
> bags, but found it quicker and easier to use the mw while maintaining the
> quality of the product.

That's weird to me. I have the same exact problem. I like the FS
bags for a lot of things, but after trying to warm smoked meat in the
bag in hot water, it makes it taste awful. To me, it tasted like the
cooked briskets you buy in the store.

If I can't get to a microwave, I put the meat out (sliced or pulled)
on a big flat pan (like a cookie sheet with sides) tightly covered
with foil and gently heat it at about 250F until it is just a bit past
warm.

Not as good as the first servings off the pit, but pretty good.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Bob-tx" > wrote
>>
>> My real question comes about when I go to re-heat it. At what
>> oven temperature should I re-heat it, and about how long will it
>> take? Does the internal temp have to get up to 190 again?

> You should bring it to about 140+ for safety, but hot enough to
> pull would be fine. . Or pull it the same day and they reheat it
> easily in a crock pot, microwave, or pot on the stove.

Thanks to all who offered good suggestions.
I like the idea of pulling it right off the grill, but I thought it
would
probably dry out too much. Glad to learn that is a good plan.

I also like the idea of the microwave instead of the oven. In this
hot weather,
it will save on heating up the kitchen and working the AC to try to
keep it cool.

Thanks again. Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 22, 3:57*pm, "Bob-tx" > wrote:
> For an early picnic next Saturday, I am cueing *a ten pound pork
> roast for pulled pork sandwiches.
>
> We are supposed to eat at 11:00 am, so I won't have time to do it
> that day.
>
> I plan to smoke it Friday. *I guess just let it cool down for an
> hour or so and then put it in the fridge. *Would this time to cool
> seem about right?
>
> My real question comes about when I go to re-heat it. *At what oven
> temperature should I re-heat it, and about how long will it take?
> Does the internal temp have to get up to 190 again?
>
> Sure would appreciate any suggestions you guys have. *I've probably
> done hundreds of pork roasts in my long life, but never had to
> re-heat one before it was pulled.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bob-tx

Bob,

I asked the same question about pulled pork for my Superbowl
party, and got the same good advice. We pulled it the night before,
stored it in foil pans in the fridge, and then reheated for the party.

I tried to reheat in the oven, but the 7 or 8 pounds in the foil
tray was reheating too slowly, so I pulled out about a pound or two at
a time and reheated via the microwave. It worked fine and wasn't dry
at all.

Rob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i think i would pull it ant warm in a crock pot to serve, Lee
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Bob-tx" > wrote
>>
>> My real question comes about when I go to re-heat it. At what oven
>> temperature should I re-heat it, and about how long will it take? Does
>> the internal temp have to get up to 190 again?

> You should bring it to about 140+ for safety, but hot enough to pull would
> be fine. . Or pull it the same day and they reheat it easily in a crock
> pot, microwave, or pot on the stove.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

how did you end up doing it? how did it turn out? Lee