Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Heating some deli roast beef

So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 20:06:59 -0500, wrote:

>So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
>roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
>roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
>some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
>broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.
>
>---

pick up a packet of au jus mix. Make the mix and when hot quickly
submerge the beef for a very brief time and then remove the meat. It
should have gotten hot without changing the texture or doneness.
Normally I would say to submerge the meat in the gravy from the roast
but you don't have that.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...

> So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
> roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
> roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
> some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
> broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

Well, I wouldn't.

I'd just cook a good steak medium rare and serve it with the roast beef
accompaniments (yorkshire pud, gravy, horse radish sauce, roast
potatoes, veg etc.)

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-13 6:52 a.m., Janet wrote:
> In article >, rfdjr1
> @optonline.net says...
>>
>> So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
>> roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
>> roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
>> some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
>> broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

> Well, I wouldn't.

Neither would I! I *never* reheat roast meat. It tastes vile to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-13 8:53 a.m., graham wrote:

> Neither would I! I *never* reheat roast meat. It tastes vile to me.

There are ways heat leftover roast that I find palatable. Roast beef,
chicken or turkey can be warmed gently in gravy. I use up leftover lamb
by making a curry. I didn't roast any pork for ages because I had no
way to use up the leftovers. One day I chopped it finely and used it in
a tomato sauce on pasta and it turned out very nicely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 19:22:17 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 1/12/19 6:06 PM, wrote:
>> So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
>> roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
>> roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
>> some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
>> broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.
>>
>> ---

>I would just slap it down in a very hot skillet and turn rather quickly.
>
>jay

I'd cover it with hot beef gravy in my plate, just want to warm it,
not cook it. Would be smarter to have the deli slice it, then prepare
open face sandwiches warmed with heated gravy.... heat the bread with
gravy and then place the slices of beef, then more gravy on top.

Even if just for me I'd still oven roast a smallish beef roast, eat
how much I want while hot, and put the remainder in the fridge, cold
meat is much easier to slice as needed... I like a cold roast beef
sandwhich but you can still use the above procedure to warm an open
faced sandwhich. Roast beef from a deli costs at least twice as much
as one roasted yourself... and deli roast beef contains exsessive
fat... they purposely choose the fattiest roasts to increase profits
as deli roast beef is sold by weight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 06:53:55 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-01-13 6:52 a.m., Janet wrote:
>> In article >, rfdjr1
>> @optonline.net says...
>>>
>>> So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
>>> roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
>>> roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
>>> some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
>>> broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

>> Well, I wouldn't.
>>

>Neither would I! I *never* reheat roast meat. It tastes vile to me.

It's fine *warmed* with gravy, you don't want it hot or it will no
longer be rare. Even a roast you cook yourself is eaten warm... after
it rests and is carved it's not hot. Roast beef cooked rare is never
really hot while roasting, at best 130º is barely tepid... after
resting and slicing it's only a few degrees over room temperature,
plced on a cold plate it'll barely be room temperature... anyone who
wants hot roast beef doesn't like rare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 06:53:55 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-01-13 6:52 a.m., Janet wrote:
>> In article >, rfdjr1
>> @optonline.net says...
>>>
>>> So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
>>> roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
>>> roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
>>> some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
>>> broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.

>> Well, I wouldn't.
>>

>Neither would I! I *never* reheat roast meat. It tastes vile to me.

I don't like 'reheated' meat either. But running cold slices through
hot gravy takes the chill off without the reheating flavor.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for all the great advice. I think this will be my dinner tonight. I owe
myself a good meal. I spent the week of Christmas in the hospital and,well, you
know hospital food...!

>So say I'm in the mood for a nice roast beef dinner, but can't make an entire
>roast as it's just for me. I go to the grocery and the deli has some nice rare
>roast beef. I have them slice me off a one inch slice and take it home. I cook
>some potatoes and veggies. What's the best way to warm up the meat? Under a
>broiler? In the microwave? I'dd llike it to stay as rare as possible. Thanks.
>
>---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

Thanks for all the great advice. I think this will be my dinner tonight. I
owe
myself a good meal. I spent the week of Christmas in the hospital and,well,
you
know hospital food...!

==

I'm sorry to hear that I hope you are well now?

Enjoy your meal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2019 12:35 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 13 Jan 2019 09:05:08p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 21:40:45 -0500, wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for all the great advice. I think this will be my dinner
>>> tonight. I owe myself a good meal. I spent the week of Christmas
>>> in the hospital and,well, you know hospital food...!

>> glad you're home. No special meals at hospital for Christmas.
>> BTDT:-(
>>

> When I was in the hospital during the first week of February, 2018, I
> was not on any type of restricted or special diet.
>
> I was utterly amazed at the menu I was given to order from with four
> pages of offerings. It was like going to one of the better
> restaurants in town. I found out the next day that they actually
> have a master chef and very professional kitchen staff. Meal trays
> are brought up on dumb waiters at each nurses station.
>
> A fraiend of mine was in the same hospital over last Thansgiving,
> and reported that the Thanksgiving dinner was on par with what he
> might have made at home.
>
> Admittedly, though, this is a "high end" hospital. I lucked out
> being sent to this one.

I worked with a guy in Memphis who said his parents would go to a
hospital cafeteria once a week for dinner. They claimed the food was
better than any restaurant.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I didn't roast any pork for ages because I had no
> way to use up the leftovers. One day I chopped it finely and used it in
> a tomato sauce on pasta and it turned out very nicely.

Chopped potatoes, onion and ham fried together makes a very good
hash if you like such a thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-14 9:42 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/14/2019 12:35 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Admittedly, though, this is a "high end" hospital.Â* I lucked out
>> being sent to this one.
>>

> I worked with a guy in Memphis who said his parents would go to a
> hospital cafeteria once a week for dinner.Â* They claimed the food was
> better than any restaurant.

When I was in the hospital after heart surgery the food was not all
horrible. My first solid food was a shingle of beef. The other meals
were better. On my last stay they kept me on clear fluids and on the
last morning I rebelled. The nurse found me some real food. It may have
tasted extra good because it was the first solid food I had had in a
week. My lunch that day was not bad. I can't say it was better than any
restaurant. It was perhaps as good as some chains.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-14 9:52 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I didn't roast any pork for ages because I had no
>> way to use up the leftovers. One day I chopped it finely and used it in
>> a tomato sauce on pasta and it turned out very nicely.

> Chopped potatoes, onion and ham fried together makes a very good
> hash if you like such a thing.

Hmmm. Could be. We don't do ham. I am not sure why. I eat it if it is
served to me. I will eat it at buffets. The only ham we have ever cooked
as been ham steaks, and that was only a couple times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2019 11:15 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-14 9:42 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/14/2019 12:35 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Admittedly, though, this is a "high end" hospital.Â* I lucked out
>>> being sent to this one.
>>>

>> I worked with a guy in Memphis who said his parents would go to a
>> hospital cafeteria once a week for dinner.Â* They claimed the food was
>> better than any restaurant.

> When I was in the hospital after heart surgery the food was not all
> horrible.Â* My first solid food was a shingle of beef. The other meals
> were better.Â* On my last stay they kept me on clear fluids and on the
> last morning I rebelled. The nurse found me some real food. It may have
> tasted extra good because it was the first solid food I had had in a
> week. My lunch that day was not bad.Â* I can't say it was better than any
> restaurant. It was perhaps as good as some chains.

Well hey, I don't know what his parents considered good. All I know is
he said they went to a hospital cafeteria once a week for dinner. I'm
not sure if it was food quality or price. Hey, it's a cafeteria. I'm
not a fan of cafeterias, in general.

The only good cafeteria I've ever been to and actually recommended to
others was Picadilly in Germantown, TN. I'd go there for lunch with
co-workers about once a month.

They had a wonderful selection of freshly prepared foods. I usually got
a cup of the soup of the day, baked fish (never overcooked!) with a side
of steamed vegetables. But they often had roast beef; there was a
carving station on the line and someone would slice off some beef. To
go with the beef was gravy, mashed potatoes. A lot of other selections.
The cooks were right there talking to us as we moved along the line.
Picadilly had (has?) *really* good food. For a cafeteria.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-01-14 9:52 a.m., Gary wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> I didn't roast any pork for ages because I had no
> >> way to use up the leftovers. One day I chopped it finely and used it in
> >> a tomato sauce on pasta and it turned out very nicely.

> > Chopped potatoes, onion and ham fried together makes a very good
> > hash if you like such a thing.
> >

> Hmmm. Could be. We don't do ham. I am not sure why. I eat it if it is
> served to me. I will eat it at buffets. The only ham we have ever cooked
> as been ham steaks, and that was only a couple times.

I've always found ham steaks boring by themselves. Try the hash
(maybe).
Also good toppings for ham a
- a raisin sauce plated on the side (or poured over ham) or
- ham cooked with a crushed pineapple/brown sugar mix.

These are just ways I like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 05:35:18 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

snip
>When I was in the hospital during the first week of February, 2018, I
>was not on any type of restricted or special diet.
>
>I was utterly amazed at the menu I was given to order from with four
>pages of offerings. It was like going to one of the better
>restaurants in town. I found out the next day that they actually
>have a master chef and very professional kitchen staff. Meal trays
>are brought up on dumb waiters at each nurses station.
>
>A fraiend of mine was in the same hospital over last Thansgiving,
>and reported that the Thanksgiving dinner was on par with what he
>might have made at home.
>
>Admittedly, though, this is a "high end" hospital. I lucked out
>being sent to this one.

Yes, an exceptional menu. . .if you are not on a restricted diet.
Jell-o and tea are the same the world over.
I never got to try their portobello burger. :-(
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2019 11:19 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-14 9:52 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't roast any pork for ages because I had no
>>> way to use up the leftovers. One day I chopped it finely and used it in
>>> a tomato sauce on pasta and it turned out very nicely.

>> Chopped potatoes, onion and ham fried together makes a very good
>> hash if you like such a thing.
>>

> Hmmm. Could be.Â* We don't do ham. I am not sure why. I eat it if it is
> served to me. I will eat it at buffets. The only ham we have ever cooked
> as been ham steaks, and that was only a couple times.

I'm not a huge fan of ham. When it comes to hashI prefer corned beef.

I do like thinly sliced deli ham on a hot toasted (griddled) sandwich
with swiss cheese. Ham hash... you may have my share.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-14 12:00 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/14/2019 11:15 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> When I was in the hospital after heart surgery the food was not all
>> horrible.Â* My first solid food was a shingle of beef. The other meals
>> were better.Â* On my last stay they kept me on clear fluids and on the
>> last morning I rebelled. The nurse found me some real food. It may
>> have tasted extra good because it was the first solid food I had had
>> in a week. My lunch that day was not bad.Â* I can't say it was better
>> than any restaurant. It was perhaps as good as some chains.
>>

> Well hey, I don't know what his parents considered good.Â* All I know is
> he said they went to a hospital cafeteria once a week for dinner.Â* I'm
> not sure if it was food quality or price.Â* Hey, it's a cafeteria.Â* I'm
> not a fan of cafeterias, in general.

There is a place in Fort Erie that people flock to, especially older
folks. The food is not bad. It's not great. It is inexpensive and they
have huge portions. It's decent home cooking. They shut down for about
two months in the winter and the day they open up there will be a lineup
at the door. My co-workers and I used to eat there often when we were
working in the area. The daily specials were a real bargain, and they
offered half orders for a couple bucks less. I used to opt for the half
order, which was more than enough for me.

> The only good cafeteria I've ever been to and actually recommended to
> others was Picadilly in Germantown, TN.Â* I'd go there for lunch with
> co-workers about once a month.

I haven't been to a cafeteria in ages. Well.... not really. A couple
months ago when my son had surgery I had some time to kill at the
hospital I went to the cafeteria and got a coffee. I don't think that
counts as a cafeteria meal. I didn't even look at the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-14 12:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/14/2019 11:19 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> Hmmm. Could be.Â* We don't do ham. I am not sure why. I eat it if it is
>> served to me. I will eat it at buffets. The only ham we have ever
>> cooked as been ham steaks, and that was only a couple times.
>>

> I'm not a huge fan of ham.Â* When it comes to hashI prefer corned beef.
>
> I do like thinly sliced deli ham on a hot toasted (griddled) sandwich
> with swiss cheese. Â* Ham hash... you may have my share.

That's pretty much my situation. I don't dislike it, but I am not all
that crazy about it, not enough to cook a big one and then have to deal
with leftovers for a week. I do occasionally get some sliced deli ham.
The Meat Nazi down the road sometimes has it on sale really cheap, about
the only time I go there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 21:18:01 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 14 Jan 2019 10:00:42a, jmcquown told us...

>>> When I was in the hospital after heart surgery the food was not
>>> all horrible.Â* My first solid food was a shingle of beef. The
>>> other meals were better.Â* On my last stay they kept me on clear
>>> fluids and on the last morning I rebelled. The nurse found me
>>> some real food. It may have tasted extra good because it was the
>>> first solid food I had had in a week. My lunch that day was not
>>> bad.Â* I can't say it was better than any restaurant. It was
>>> perhaps as good as some chains.
>>>

>> Well hey, I don't know what his parents considered good. All I
>> know is he said they went to a hospital cafeteria once a week for
>> dinner. I'm not sure if it was food quality or price. Hey, it's
>> a cafeteria. I'm not a fan of cafeterias, in general.
>>
>> The only good cafeteria I've ever been to and actually recommended
>> to others was Picadilly in Germantown, TN. I'd go there for lunch
>> with co-workers about once a month.
>>
>> They had a wonderful selection of freshly prepared foods. I
>> usually got a cup of the soup of the day, baked fish (never
>> overcooked!) with a side of steamed vegetables. But they often
>> had roast beef; there was a carving station on the line and
>> someone would slice off some beef. To go with the beef was gravy,
>> mashed potatoes. A lot of other selections.
>> The cooks were right there talking to us as we moved along the
>> line.
>> Picadilly had (has?) *really* good food. For a cafeteria.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>There was a winderful cafeteria in Memphis, long gone and I can't
>remember the name of it.

Innocent typo of course, but for a moment I was wondering what
winderful meant. It deserves to exist as a word.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 21:18:01 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> Well hey, I don't know what his parents considered good. All I
>>> know is he said they went to a hospital cafeteria once a week for
>>> dinner. I'm not sure if it was food quality or price. Hey, it's
>>> a cafeteria. I'm not a fan of cafeterias, in general.
>>>
>>> The only good cafeteria I've ever been to and actually recommended
>>> to others was Picadilly in Germantown, TN. I'd go there for lunch
>>> with co-workers about once a month.
>>>
>>> They had a wonderful selection of freshly prepared foods. I
>>> usually got a cup of the soup of the day, baked fish (never
>>> overcooked!) with a side of steamed vegetables. But they often
>>> had roast beef; there was a carving station on the line and
>>> someone would slice off some beef. To go with the beef was gravy,
>>> mashed potatoes. A lot of other selections.
>>> The cooks were right there talking to us as we moved along the
>>> line.
>>> Picadilly had (has?) *really* good food. For a cafeteria.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> There was a winderful cafeteria in Memphis, long gone and I can't
>> remember the name of it.

> Innocent typo of course, but for a moment I was wondering what
> winderful meant. It deserves to exist as a word.

Winderful is when yoose eat too many beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 17:21:33 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 21:18:01 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> There was a winderful cafeteria in Memphis, long gone and I can't
>>> remember the name of it.

>> Innocent typo of course, but for a moment I was wondering what
>> winderful meant. It deserves to exist as a word.
>>

>Winderful is when yoose eat too many beans.

That's it. "What a winderful dish!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 17:21:33 -0600, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 21:18:01 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright

>>> Innocent typo of course, but for a moment I was wondering what
>>> winderful meant. It deserves to exist as a word.
>>>

>> Winderful is when yoose eat too many beans.

> That's it. "What a winderful dish!"

Often served at the bove place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 3:27:59 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Smoked salt-cured southern style country ham is my favorite, but I
> can't buy it here. Occasionally I will mail order it as it doesn't
> reqire refrigeration. The usual prep for that is soaking slices of
> it in milk overnight, then rinsing briefly, drying it, and frying it.
> It'ss very common in the south but I rarely have seen it anywhere
> else.

That's a new on me. I'd never heard of soaking it in milk and if you don't
want to soak it overnight there are two other ways to cook it to remove the
salt. Put the slices in a skillet and cover with water and cook for 15
minutes, turning once. Dump the water and then lightly fry the ham slices.

The second way is the same method but you just use a can of coke instead of
water; both will leach the salt out. Dump the coke after 15 minutes, turning
the ham slices once, and then lightly fry the slices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 11:15:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-01-14 9:42 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/14/2019 12:35 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Admittedly, though, this is a "high end" hospital.* I lucked out
>>> being sent to this one.
>>>

>> I worked with a guy in Memphis who said his parents would go to a
>> hospital cafeteria once a week for dinner.* They claimed the food was
>> better than any restaurant.

>When I was in the hospital after heart surgery the food was not all
>horrible. My first solid food was a shingle of beef. The other meals
>were better. On my last stay they kept me on clear fluids and on the
>last morning I rebelled. The nurse found me some real food. It may have
>tasted extra good because it was the first solid food I had had in a
>week. My lunch that day was not bad. I can't say it was better than any
>restaurant. It was perhaps as good as some chains.

When I was hospitalized last May for colon surgery, my surgeon told me
to get my husband to bring me food. Three meals a day, for the four
days I was in there, starting from the day I got out from surgery.

The hospital food was so bad I couldn't even eat the breakfast stuff.
I think they brought all the meals in from a central location,
resulting in 12-hour old everything. A 12-hour old piece of toast
isn't pleasant.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 9:10:20 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-14 7:05 p.m., wrote:
> > On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 3:27:59 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> Smoked salt-cured southern style country ham is my favorite, but I
> >> can't buy it here. Occasionally I will mail order it as it doesn't
> >> reqire refrigeration. The usual prep for that is soaking slices of
> >> it in milk overnight, then rinsing briefly, drying it, and frying it.
> >> It'ss very common in the south but I rarely have seen it anywhere
> >> else.
> >>

> > That's a new on me. I'd never heard of soaking it in milk and if you don't
> > want to soak it overnight there are two other ways to cook it to remove the
> > salt. Put the slices in a skillet and cover with water and cook for 15
> > minutes, turning once. Dump the water and then lightly fry the ham slices.
> >
> > The second way is the same method but you just use a can of coke instead of
> > water; both will leach the salt out. Dump the coke after 15 minutes, turning
> > the ham slices once, and then lightly fry the slices.
> >

> The closest we come to cooking ham in the his house is to do a glazed
> peameal. It is one of my wife's signature dishes. Get a large chunk of
> peameal bacon and simmer it in apple juice for about an hour. Then make
> a glaze with flour, brown sugar and mustard powder and bake it to set
> the glaze.

As I understand it, peameal isn't smoked. I think I'd
rather have real ham (or real bacon).

My husband isn't all that fond of ham, but we usually have
some on hand for sandwiches, and once in a while I'll heat
a slice in bacon grease in a frying pan.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-15 10:19 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> The closest we come to cooking ham in the his house is to do a glazed
>> peameal. It is one of my wife's signature dishes. Get a large chunk of
>> peameal bacon and simmer it in apple juice for about an hour. Then make
>> a glaze with flour, brown sugar and mustard powder and bake it to set
>> the glaze.

> As I understand it, peameal isn't smoked. I think I'd
> rather have real ham (or real bacon).

You're right. It is not smoked. It is cured in brine and then rolled in
peameal, and it is delicious.

> My husband isn't all that fond of ham, but we usually have
> some on hand for sandwiches, and once in a while I'll heat
> a slice in bacon grease in a frying pan.

It's weird. It's not that I don't like ham. I will gladly eat it if
served, or put some on my plate at a buffet. My grandparents used to
serve it frequently. My mother cooked it occasionally. Neither my wife
or I are interested in it enough to bother baking one, though we do by
good quality ham for sandwiches.