Old 11-01-2019, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Score!

wrote:

I buy the spinach-kale blend only because Popeye doesn't want to be
too virile, Olive Oyl would be ascared of being split in two.

Is it already crystal palace time?

Pour me one too Popeye.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 3:39 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 3:41:48 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/11/2019 10:53 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 6:49:43 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 12:44:53 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
$1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
Janet US
Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.
Hell, I don't care. I'll buy any meat if it's cheap enough!
Even if the meat had NO PRESERVATIVES in it?

And GREEN FRINGE growing out of it?

Adds a certain piquancy to the FLAVOR!!!

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

* I just bought nearly 30 pounds of beef and pork , none of which has
added chemicals or preservatives . THAT"S WHY I BUY IT THERE ! Our local
(regional?) chain has meat that has no additives or "solutions" , and
that's where 95% of our meat comes from .

I have to admit, though, that the additives and preservatives in stuff
like pepperoni, ham, salami, etc., are very nice.

Cindy Hamilton

* You're comparing apples to oranges , dear . Cured meats are a whole
'nother category .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 11-01-2019, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 16:24:09 -0500, wrote:

"U.S. Janet B." wrote

I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons
for $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
Janet US

There's no such thing as very little fat in chuck.
I'd filet out the bones for stock, trim away fat to suit, and grind
the meat for burgers and meat loaf. When chuck roasts sell for $2/lb
its at least half fat plus bone... not much lean, not good for
braising. I see relatively lean boneless chuck roasts here on sale
for $5-6/lb., and they are still too fatty for me. Sometimes there
are fairly lean boneless chuck steaks at about $5-6/lb, I may buy
those to grill outside or grind them for burgers. I haven't seen any
decent chuck at $2/lb since 1960.
For dinner tonight I'm roasting a ~3 pound hunk of boneless pork loin,
was $1.79/lb for the entire loin, cut the 12 pounds into four roasts.
with baked spuds and frozen spinach-kale blend. It's in the oven now.
I buy the spinach-kale blend only because Popeye doesn't want to be
too virile, Olive Oyl would be ascared of being split in two.

Yada. Yada. Yada.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
[...]

True, some additives are just better than others! For example I adore the Artificial Raspberry flavor! As in my Raspberry Caramels!

Wanna BUY some? $20/lb for regular Christmas Candies!

No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 12-01-2019, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 5:10:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.

Cindy Hamilton

Finally!! I thought I was the only person in the world who does not care for
fruit and chocolate together. People rave about chocolate covered strawberries,
orange flavored chocolate slices, bananas dipped in chocolate, Black Forest
cake, etc. The combination of any fruit and chocolate is just so unappealing
to me.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 08:38:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 5:10:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.

Cindy Hamilton

Finally!! I thought I was the only person in the world who does not care for
fruit and chocolate together. People rave about chocolate covered strawberries,
orange flavored chocolate slices, bananas dipped in chocolate, Black Forest
cake, etc. The combination of any fruit and chocolate is just so unappealing
to me.

And I really like fruit and chocolate, but, I do not like fruit with
savory. Not mixed with meat or rice or similar, please
Janet US
Old 12-01-2019, 05:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 10:42:50 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

And I really like fruit and chocolate, but, I do not like fruit with
savory. Not mixed with meat or rice or similar, please
Janet US

I'm with you on that! But raisins in rice is ok sometimes for 'dessert' but
that's about it.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 5:10:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.

Cindy Hamilton

Finally!! I thought I was the only person in the world who does not care for
fruit and chocolate together. People rave about chocolate covered strawberries,
orange flavored chocolate slices, bananas dipped in chocolate, Black Forest
cake, etc. The combination of any fruit and chocolate is just so unappealing
to me.

Chocolate is itself made from a fruit, of the cacao tree. I like dark
chocolate covered glazed/candied orange peel. I don't care for
chocolate coated fresh fruit... chocolate coated strawberries is a
waste of chocolate and strawberries. My favorite chocolate coated
fruits are raisins and nuts... every once in a while I get an urge for
Rasinettes. I love bridge mix:
https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Its...dge%2Bmix&th=1

Old 12-01-2019, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 5:10:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.

Cindy Hamilton

Finally!! I thought I was the only person in the world who does not care for
fruit and chocolate together. People rave about chocolate covered strawberries,
orange flavored chocolate slices, bananas dipped in chocolate, Black Forest
cake, etc. The combination of any fruit and chocolate is just so unappealing
to me.

And I really like fruit and chocolate, but, I do not like fruit with
savory. Not mixed with meat or rice or similar, please
Janet US

First time I ever encountered fruit + savory was in a Persian stew
with apricots. I have since had it with chicken, lamb or veal as the
meat part.

I have also had a chicken, pomegranate and walnut dish, too.

Oh, I really miss watching that old friend cook. She could produce an
elegant, exotic and memorable sit down dinner for 12 made in her
kitchen the size of a postage stamp. Two people could not fit in it. I
used to stand in the hallway/doorframe just to observe.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 9:05:51 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:

First time I ever encountered fruit + savory was in a Persian stew
with apricots. I have since had it with chicken, lamb or veal as the
meat part.

I have also had a chicken, pomegranate and walnut dish, too.

Oh, I really miss watching that old friend cook. She could produce an
elegant, exotic and memorable sit down dinner for 12 made in her
kitchen the size of a postage stamp. Two people could not fit in it. I
used to stand in the hallway/doorframe just to observe.

We had Moroccan food last week at a restaurant. Prunes and lemons with lamb.. We had chicken pie with almonds and eggs. We ordered two of those bastillas covered with powdered sugar and cinnamon. We were lounging on cushions and I fell into a deep sleep. I was awakened with a sprinkling of orange water which is a rather pleasant way to be brought back into this world.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...itytlaO7sHD71x
Old 12-01-2019, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 11:24:42 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

[...]

We have a Moroccan restaurant not far from us. The food is wonderful.
Once, many years ago, as we sat eating/lounging, a large party came in
and every person on staff jumped to attention to seat and attend the
group, who were all very well dressed..almost formally so for the men,
who were sort of beefy, big guys.

Ultimately, we got to see who the "star" of the large party was -
Imelda Marcos. The guys were her body guards.

She had on really nice shoes.

The score at the store is not always a score Dimitri General Cooking 3 10-12-2011 07:38 PM
Score George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 0 07-07-2011 05:10 PM
Score! George Shirley Preserving 0 07-06-2010 02:42 PM
Score Dimitri General Cooking 13 10-10-2009 09:40 PM
Score!!! Christine Dabney General Cooking 10 06-11-2008 09:39 AM