Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Score

Yesterday the local/local market had a sale like I have not seen in a
while - zucchini 39 cents/Lb. Onions 20 cents/Lb. Short Ribs $1.99/lb Tri
Tip by the bag - maybe 6 & $1.99/Lb.

I feel like a crook - on the short ribs I purchased 10 packs :-) the single
packs of Tri Tip were $2.29 untrimmed USDA Choice :-)

Last time I smoked some pork ribs I threw on abut 6 short ribs Oh My Oh My -
delish!

Bone in rib Steak tonight with a baked tater and frilled yellow squash.

Oh yes Tomato & Onion salad

You?

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I haven't seen those kind of prices anywhere in years around here. The ACME
(Albertson's) is easily the most expensive market and the rest elevate prices
to keep in step with them.

I miss tri tip roasts! TJ's in PA is about the only place that gets them with
any regularity. Both marinated and unmarinated, cryovac'd. The marinated ones
are way too salty. Both are also insanely overpriced.

Great score!

Enjoy, ya lucky BUM!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 5:40*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
Terrific score, Dimitri. I am envious as I sit here having just
printed about a dozen recipes for various soups.

Curiousity and grins cause ask of your "baked tater and frilled yellow
squash." What may the squash be frilled with, possibly cheese?

Long work week, lazy dinner here was take-out from a this week just
discovered, been there a long time, Korean Deli counter inside a local
liquor store. The ladies there bake large French bread rolls each
morning and have single sandwich tickets printed out to check-mark
boxes telling them exactly how you want your sammie made. As always
from a deli, I ordered ham, mayo, mustard, Swiss cheese, pickles,
olives, lettuce and tomato. It's the bread that makes the deal here,
and the charge for a "small" that is quite enough for a meal is just
$3.49.

I'm getting close to ready for the begin of in home bread making
myself, but not quite rid of the using yeast and kneading "fraidies"
yet. Two posters here (that I owe for getting me closer to bread
makings) recommended rec.bread.recipes as a freindly, helpful group,
and I've read through about 200 posts there so far. Thanks for
sharing comment about the obvious friendly people there, which I now
do feel very comfortable going to when I've started on my own.
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 7:40*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Yesterday the local/local market had a sale like I have not seen in a
> while - zucchini 39 cents/Lb. Onions 20 cents/Lb. Short Ribs $1.99/lb Tri
> Tip by the bag - maybe 6 & $1.99/Lb.
>
> I feel like a crook - on the short ribs I purchased 10 packs *:-) the single
> packs of Tri Tip were $2.29 untrimmed USDA Choice :-)
>
> Last time I smoked some pork ribs I threw on abut 6 short ribs Oh My Oh My -
> delish!
>
> Bone in rib Steak tonight with a baked tater and frilled yellow squash.
>
> Oh yes Tomato & Onion salad
>
> You?

What is a tri-tip? I live in Nebraska and have never heard of such a
cut. Around here we have a huge Hispanic population and they are
selling round for five bucks a pound. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 9:30*am, wrote:
> On Oct 9, 7:40*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
> > Yesterday the local/local market had a sale like I have not seen in a
> > while - zucchini 39 cents/Lb. Onions 20 cents/Lb. Short Ribs $1.99/lb Tri
> > Tip by the bag - maybe 6 & $1.99/Lb.

> > I feel like a crook - on the short ribs I purchased 10 packs *:-) the single
> > packs of Tri Tip were $2.29 untrimmed USDA Choice :-)

> > Last time I smoked some pork ribs I threw on abut 6 short ribs Oh My Oh My -
> > delish!

> > Bone in rib Steak tonight with a baked tater and frilled yellow squash.

> > Oh yes Tomato & Onion salad

> > You?

> What is a tri-tip? *I live in Nebraska and have never heard of such a
> cut. *Around here we have a huge Hispanic population and they are
> selling round for five bucks a pound. *lol

We have yet to find anywhere tht carries TRiTips with any
regularity.Very frustrating, as that is such a good cut. No TJ's in
DE, have to go to Annapolis for the closest one!! Nor is there a
Costco which I would dearly LOVE to have for meats.
Good for you with your frugal scores!!\
Nan in DE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 4:40*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Yesterday the local/local market had a sale like I have not seen in a
> while - zucchini 39 cents/Lb. Onions 20 cents/Lb. Short Ribs $1.99/lb Tri
> Tip by the bag - maybe 6 & $1.99/Lb.

(Snip)
> You?
>
> --
> Dimitri

Just yesterday, I made the loop to go grocery shopping. I stop at the
roadside stands, then finish at the store. At the first stand, I got
some butternut squash for only .49/lb. A good price, but it's only
butternut squash. The real find was the vine ripe large tomatoes and
fresh picked yellow peaches. I also got kiwis and Asian pears. It's
farm country.

The real score was at the next stand where I got a basket of pea sized
sweet 100's tomatoes for $1 (They're so small, there has to be over
100 in there.), six small, fresh cukes $1, and the last three pack of
grown-right-there strawberries for $6. The score was they wanted to
close, and it was their last pack of strawberries, so it's piled so
high it's at least five or six baskets. There's no way I can go
through all of those before they go bad. I'm guessing one of my
neighbors will be very happy with the gift. Yah, I could freeze them,
but since it's the last of the year, I might as well make somebody
happy with fresh from the field strawberries.

Ken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ken > wrote:

> Yah, I could freeze them,
> but since it's the last of the year, I might as well make somebody
> happy with fresh from the field strawberries.

Strawberries are delicious infused in to brandy or vodka. Makes a good
ice cream topping and preserves them nicely. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 7:34*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Ken > wrote:
> > Yah, I could freeze them,
> > but since it's the last of the year, I might as well make somebody
> > happy with fresh from the field strawberries.

> Strawberries are delicious infused in to brandy or vodka. Makes a good
> ice cream topping and preserves them nicely. ;-d
> --
> Peace! Om

Do you mean infuse the strawberries or infuse the brandy? I don't
drink, but alcohol in things is fine. So I wouldn't infuse brandy,
but I'd infuse strawberries. If so, how do you recommend?

TIA,

Ken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ken > wrote:

> On Oct 10, 7:34*am, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >
> > *Ken <threeriversguy > wrote:
> > > Yah, I could freeze them,
> > > but since it's the last of the year, I might as well make somebody
> > > happy with fresh from the field strawberries.

> > Strawberries are delicious infused in to brandy or vodka. Makes a good
> > ice cream topping and preserves them nicely. ;-d
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> Do you mean infuse the strawberries or infuse the brandy? I don't
> drink, but alcohol in things is fine. So I wouldn't infuse brandy,
> but I'd infuse strawberries. If so, how do you recommend?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ken

Generally, I fill a quart jar with tightly packed Strawberries, then
fill the jar with alcohol of your choice. Rum works too.

Let sit for a week or two.

The berries and the alcohol can be used in recipes if you do not
normally drink alcohol, and it will preserve the berries.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Generally, I fill a quart jar with tightly packed Strawberries, then
> fill the jar with alcohol of your choice. Rum works too.
>
> Let sit for a week or two.
>
> The berries and the alcohol can be used in recipes if you do not
> normally drink alcohol, and it will preserve the berries.
> --
> Peace! Om

Thanks.

I just had breakfast, and noticed some more scores in the fridge.

A huge bunch of turnips with the tops. One whole dollar from the
first stand. (If you order them in advance, they'll keep them in the
cooler so the greens stay fresh.) And whole chickens for .89/lb from
the store. Around here, I can eat like a king for almost nothing.
Well, turnip greens are more peasant faire, but you get the idea.

Thanks again,

Ken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 7:40 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Yesterday the local/local market had a sale like I have not seen in a
> while - zucchini 39 cents/Lb. Onions 20 cents/Lb. Short Ribs $1.99/lb Tri
> Tip by the bag - maybe 6 & $1.99/Lb.
>
> I feel like a crook - on the short ribs I purchased 10 packs :-) the
> single
> packs of Tri Tip were $2.29 untrimmed USDA Choice :-)
>
> Last time I smoked some pork ribs I threw on abut 6 short ribs Oh My Oh
> My -
> delish!
>
> Bone in rib Steak tonight with a baked tater and frilled yellow squash.
>
> Oh yes Tomato & Onion salad
>
> You?

What is a tri-tip? I live in Nebraska and have never heard of such a
cut. Around here we have a huge Hispanic population and they are
selling round for five bucks a pound. lol

Here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:
http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ken > wrote:

> > Generally, I fill a quart jar with tightly packed Strawberries, then
> > fill the jar with alcohol of your choice. Rum works too.
> >
> > Let sit for a week or two.
> >
> > The berries and the alcohol can be used in recipes if you do not
> > normally drink alcohol, and it will preserve the berries.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Thanks.
>
> I just had breakfast, and noticed some more scores in the fridge.
>
> A huge bunch of turnips with the tops. One whole dollar from the
> first stand. (If you order them in advance, they'll keep them in the
> cooler so the greens stay fresh.) And whole chickens for .89/lb from
> the store. Around here, I can eat like a king for almost nothing.
> Well, turnip greens are more peasant faire, but you get the idea.

Healthy food. :-)
Mom and dad used to combine mashed carrots and turnips. It's been years.
I hated them as a kid, but might consider trying them again sometime.
Served with pepper and butter.

> Thanks again,
>
> Ken

Cheers!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 9:15*am, Omelet > wrote:

> > I just had breakfast, and noticed some more scores in the fridge.

> > A huge bunch of turnips with the tops. *One whole dollar from the
> > first stand. (If you order them in advance, they'll keep them in the
> > cooler so the greens stay fresh.) *And whole chickens for .89/lb from
> > the store. *Around here, I can eat like a king for almost nothing.
> > Well, turnip greens are more peasant faire, but you get the idea.

> Healthy food. :-)
> Mom and dad used to combine mashed carrots and turnips. It's been years.
> I hated them as a kid, but might consider trying them again sometime.
> Served with pepper and butter.
>

> Cheers!
> --
> Peace! Om

Om,

I've never had turnips mashed, although I hear that's very common.
I've only had them roasted or steamed. An ex with Southern roots
introduced me to greens. I'm no longer with her, but I still buy
greens every once in a while.

I've bought baby turnips with the tops at the farmers market. Just
steam them as is and serve them turnips and greens still attached.
Just some salt and pepper if you want. It's as simple as can be and a
nice presentation.

Thanks,

Ken

Score..... George Leppla General Cooking 1 26-05-2012 04:14 AM
The score at the store is not always a score Dimitri General Cooking 3 10-12-2011 08:38 PM
Score! Serene Vannoy Preserving 6 27-07-2011 02:18 AM
Score George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 0 07-07-2011 05:10 PM
Score!!! Golden One Preserving 0 20-01-2010 06:53 AM