FoodBanter.com

-   -   Score! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445561-score.html)

U.S. Janet B. 10-01-2019 08:40 PM

Score!

I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
$1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
Janet US

Terry Coombs 10-01-2019 08:53 PM

Score!

On 1/10/2019 2:40 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
> $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
> thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
> them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
> just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
> stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
> Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
> Janet US

I'll be perusing the selection at our local market's 10 Pound Meat Sale
tomorrow , with an eye out for some country style pork ribs @$1.39 , and
either or both whole eye of roundÂ* and whole sirloin tips , both at
$3.49 . Both choice Angus . Since we still have steaks from last March
(vac bagged) those will go for roasts . Damn I loves me a nice beef
roast ! An' beef stew an' stirfry an' fajitas an' an' ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Julie Bove[_2_] 10-01-2019 10:44 PM

Score!

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
> $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
> thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
> them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
> just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
> stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
> Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
> Janet US

Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

Hank Rogers[_2_] 10-01-2019 11:25 PM

Score!

Julie Bove wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>
>> I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
>> $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
>> thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
>> them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
>> just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
>> stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
>> Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
>> Janet US

> Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

Yoose are probably allergic to it.

U.S. Janet B. 10-01-2019 11:55 PM

Score!

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 14:44:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .

>> I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
>> $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
>> thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
>> them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
>> just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
>> stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
>> Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
>> Janet US

>Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

Just stating facts here. Julie, you have real issues with taste and
smell, nothing is normal to you. I think the drugs you take and the
way you administer your diet has messed up your sensory organs.
Yes, I'm fine with the meat at Albertsons.
Janet US

jay[_352_] 11-01-2019 12:02 AM

Score!

On 1/10/19 3:44 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>
>> I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
>> $1.99/pound.Â* Regular $4.99/pound.Â* I'll Foodsaver 2 of them.Â* I'm
>> thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
>> them for ground beef.Â* There is very little fat on these roasts and
>> just a blade bone so not much waste.Â* The bones can be used to make
>> stock.Â* I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
>> Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
>> Janet US

> Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

Interesting. I cooked some short ribs from Albertson a few days ago and
although I didn't care for the price it was from a quality standpoint
very good. Albertson is last choice for me all around however.

They are rebranding themselves as Market Street. I hope they do
something other than shine things up and move stuff around. It's
overall a crappy store IMO. Since Amazon acquired Whole Foods the only
thing that has changed as for as I can tell is not much and maybe it is
not as good as it was and the prices still suck.

jay

dsi1[_2_] 11-01-2019 12:49 AM

Score!

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 12:44:53 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> >
> > I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
> > $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
> > thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
> > them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
> > just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
> > stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
> > Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
> > Janet US

> Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

Hell, I don't care. I'll buy any meat if it's cheap enough!

[email protected] 11-01-2019 12:52 AM

Score!

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 14:44:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .

>> I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
>> $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
>> thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
>> them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
>> just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
>> stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
>> Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
>> Janet US

>Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

Try their schlong! lol

John Kuthe[_3_] 11-01-2019 02:59 AM

Score!

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 2:40:18 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
> $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
> thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
> them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
> just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
> stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
> Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
> Janet US

How old are they? Sounds like Albertsons was trying to sell off some almost expired hunks of meat!

John Kuthe...

Hank Rogers[_2_] 11-01-2019 03:24 AM

Score!

wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 14:44:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
>>> $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
>>> thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
>>> them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
>>> just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
>>> stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
>>> Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
>>> Janet US

>> Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

> Try their schlong! lol

Popeye, she has a gardener for that.

Sqwertz[_53_] 11-01-2019 03:37 AM

Score!

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:52:35 -0500, wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 14:44:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

> Try their schlong! lol

Or their long pig (pork loin, according to one source here).

-sw

John Kuthe[_3_] 11-01-2019 04:53 PM

Score!

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 6:49:43 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 12:44:53 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> > >
> > > I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons for
> > > $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
> > > thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
> > > them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
> > > just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
> > > stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
> > > Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
> > > Janet US

> > Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

> Hell, I don't care. I'll buy any meat if it's cheap enough!

Even if the meat had NO PRESERVATIVES in it?

And GREEN FRINGE growing out of it?

Adds a certain piquancy to the FLAVOR!!!

John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

Terry Coombs 11-01-2019 08:42 PM

Score!

On 1/11/2019 10:53 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 6:49:43 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
>>> Are you okay with the meat from Albertsons? It doesn't taste right to me.

>> Hell, I don't care. I'll buy any meat if it's cheap enough!

> Even if the meat had NO PRESERVATIVES in it?
>
> And GREEN FRINGE growing out of it?
>
> Adds a certain piquancy to the FLAVOR!!!
>
> John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

Â* I just bought nearly 30 pounds of beef and pork , none of which has
added chemicals or preservatives . THAT"S WHY I BUY IT THERE ! Our local
(regional?) chain has meat that has no additives or "solutions" , and
that's where 95% of our meat comes from .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

[email protected] 11-01-2019 09:24 PM

Score!

> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote

I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons
for $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
Janet US

There's no such thing as very little fat in chuck.
I'd filet out the bones for stock, trim away fat to suit, and grind
the meat for burgers and meat loaf. When chuck roasts sell for $2/lb
its at least half fat plus bone... not much lean, not good for
braising. I see relatively lean boneless chuck roasts here on sale
for $5-6/lb., and they are still too fatty for me. Sometimes there
are fairly lean boneless chuck steaks at about $5-6/lb, I may buy
those to grill outside or grind them for burgers. I haven't seen any
decent chuck at $2/lb since 1960.
For dinner tonight I'm roasting a ~3 pound hunk of boneless pork loin,
was $1.79/lb for the entire loin, cut the 12 pounds into four roasts.
with baked spuds and frozen spinach-kale blend. It's in the oven now.
I buy the spinach-kale blend only because Popeye doesn't want to be
too virile, Olive Oyl would be ascared of being split in two.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 11-01-2019 09:39 PM

Score!

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 3:41:48 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 1/11/2019 10:53 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> >> Hell, I don't care. I'll buy any meat if it's cheap enough!

> > Even if the meat had NO PRESERVATIVES in it?
> >
> > And GREEN FRINGE growing out of it?
> >
> > Adds a certain piquancy to the FLAVOR!!!
> >
> > John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

> Â* I just bought nearly 30 pounds of beef and pork , none of which has
> added chemicals or preservatives . THAT"S WHY I BUY IT THERE ! Our local
> (regional?) chain has meat that has no additives or "solutions" , and
> that's where 95% of our meat comes from .

I have to admit, though, that the additives and preservatives in stuff
like pepperoni, ham, salami, etc., are very nice.

Cindy Hamilton

Hank Rogers[_2_] 11-01-2019 10:14 PM

Score!

wrote:

> I buy the spinach-kale blend only because Popeye doesn't want to be
> too virile, Olive Oyl would be ascared of being split in two.

Is it already crystal palace time?

Pour me one too Popeye.

jay[_352_] 11-01-2019 10:48 PM

Score!

On 1/11/19 2:24 PM, wrote:
> There's no such thing as very little fat in chuck.

Chucky is a fat boy. That's why he grinds up so nicely for burgers.

> I haven't seen any
> decent chuck at $2/lb since 1960.

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/60sfood.html

jay

Terry Coombs 11-01-2019 11:27 PM

Score!

On 1/11/2019 3:39 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 3:41:48 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>> Even if the meat had NO PRESERVATIVES in it?
>>>
>>> And GREEN FRINGE growing out of it?
>>>
>>> Adds a certain piquancy to the FLAVOR!!!
>>>
>>> John Kuthe, KutheChocolates.com...

>> Â* I just bought nearly 30 pounds of beef and pork , none of which has
>> added chemicals or preservatives . THAT"S WHY I BUY IT THERE ! Our local
>> (regional?) chain has meat that has no additives or "solutions" , and
>> that's where 95% of our meat comes from .

> I have to admit, though, that the additives and preservatives in stuff
> like pepperoni, ham, salami, etc., are very nice.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Â* You're comparing apples to oranges , dear . Cured meats are a whole
'nother category .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

U.S. Janet B. 11-01-2019 11:57 PM

Score!

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 16:24:09 -0500, wrote:

> > "U.S. Janet B." > wrote
>>

> I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons
>for $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
>thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
>them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
>just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
>stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
>Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
>Janet US
>
>There's no such thing as very little fat in chuck.
>I'd filet out the bones for stock, trim away fat to suit, and grind
>the meat for burgers and meat loaf. When chuck roasts sell for $2/lb
>its at least half fat plus bone... not much lean, not good for
>braising. I see relatively lean boneless chuck roasts here on sale
>for $5-6/lb., and they are still too fatty for me. Sometimes there
>are fairly lean boneless chuck steaks at about $5-6/lb, I may buy
>those to grill outside or grind them for burgers. I haven't seen any
>decent chuck at $2/lb since 1960.
>For dinner tonight I'm roasting a ~3 pound hunk of boneless pork loin,
>was $1.79/lb for the entire loin, cut the 12 pounds into four roasts.
>with baked spuds and frozen spinach-kale blend. It's in the oven now.
>I buy the spinach-kale blend only because Popeye doesn't want to be
>too virile, Olive Oyl would be ascared of being split in two.

Yada. Yada. Yada.

John Kuthe[_3_] 12-01-2019 01:41 AM

Score!

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 12-01-2019 11:09 AM

Score!

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 12-01-2019 11:10 AM

Score!

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 8:41:50 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 3:39:12 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Â* I just bought nearly 30 pounds of beef and pork , none of which has
> > > added chemicals or preservatives . THAT"S WHY I BUY IT THERE ! Our local
> > > (regional?) chain has meat that has no additives or "solutions" , and
> > > that's where 95% of our meat comes from .

> > I have to admit, though, that the additives and preservatives in stuff
> > like pepperoni, ham, salami, etc., are very nice.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> True, some additives are just better than others! For example I adore the Artificial Raspberry flavor! As in my Raspberry Caramels!
>
> Wanna BUY some? $20/lb for regular Christmas Candies!

No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected][_2_] 12-01-2019 04:38 PM

Score!

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 5:10:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Finally!! I thought I was the only person in the world who does not care for
fruit and chocolate together. People rave about chocolate covered strawberries,
orange flavored chocolate slices, bananas dipped in chocolate, Black Forest
cake, etc. The combination of any fruit and chocolate is just so unappealing
to me.

U.S. Janet B. 12-01-2019 04:42 PM

Score!

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 08:38:28 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 5:10:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Finally!! I thought I was the only person in the world who does not care for
>fruit and chocolate together. People rave about chocolate covered strawberries,
>orange flavored chocolate slices, bananas dipped in chocolate, Black Forest
>cake, etc. The combination of any fruit and chocolate is just so unappealing
>to me.

And I really like fruit and chocolate, but, I do not like fruit with
savory. Not mixed with meat or rice or similar, please
Janet US

[email protected][_2_] 12-01-2019 05:04 PM

Score!

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 10:42:50 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> And I really like fruit and chocolate, but, I do not like fruit with
> savory. Not mixed with meat or rice or similar, please
> Janet US

I'm with you on that! But raisins in rice is ok sometimes for 'dessert' but
that's about it.

[email protected] 12-01-2019 07:01 PM

Score!

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 08:38:28 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 5:10:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Finally!! I thought I was the only person in the world who does not care for
>fruit and chocolate together. People rave about chocolate covered strawberries,
>orange flavored chocolate slices, bananas dipped in chocolate, Black Forest
>cake, etc. The combination of any fruit and chocolate is just so unappealing
>to me.

Chocolate is itself made from a fruit, of the cacao tree. I like dark
chocolate covered glazed/candied orange peel. I don't care for
chocolate coated fresh fruit... chocolate coated strawberries is a
waste of chocolate and strawberries. My favorite chocolate coated
fruits are raisins and nuts... every once in a while I get an urge for
Rasinettes. I love bridge mix:
https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Its...dge%2Bmix&th=1

Boron Elgar[_1_] 12-01-2019 07:05 PM

Score!

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 09:42:43 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 08:38:28 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 5:10:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> No, thank you. I don't care for fruit and chocolate together.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>Finally!! I thought I was the only person in the world who does not care for
>>fruit and chocolate together. People rave about chocolate covered strawberries,
>>orange flavored chocolate slices, bananas dipped in chocolate, Black Forest
>>cake, etc. The combination of any fruit and chocolate is just so unappealing
>>to me.

>And I really like fruit and chocolate, but, I do not like fruit with
>savory. Not mixed with meat or rice or similar, please
>Janet US

First time I ever encountered fruit + savory was in a Persian stew
with apricots. I have since had it with chicken, lamb or veal as the
meat part.

I have also had a chicken, pomegranate and walnut dish, too.

Oh, I really miss watching that old friend cook. She could produce an
elegant, exotic and memorable sit down dinner for 12 made in her
kitchen the size of a postage stamp. Two people could not fit in it. I
used to stand in the hallway/doorframe just to observe.

dsi1[_2_] 12-01-2019 07:24 PM

Score!

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 9:05:51 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:

> First time I ever encountered fruit + savory was in a Persian stew
> with apricots. I have since had it with chicken, lamb or veal as the
> meat part.
>
> I have also had a chicken, pomegranate and walnut dish, too.
>
> Oh, I really miss watching that old friend cook. She could produce an
> elegant, exotic and memorable sit down dinner for 12 made in her
> kitchen the size of a postage stamp. Two people could not fit in it. I
> used to stand in the hallway/doorframe just to observe.

We had Moroccan food last week at a restaurant. Prunes and lemons with lamb.. We had chicken pie with almonds and eggs. We ordered two of those bastillas covered with powdered sugar and cinnamon. We were lounging on cushions and I fell into a deep sleep. I was awakened with a sprinkling of orange water which is a rather pleasant way to be brought back into this world.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...itytlaO7sHD71x

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-01-2019 10:02 PM

Score!

On 2019-01-12 12:04 p.m., wrote:
> On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 10:42:50 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> And I really like fruit and chocolate, but, I do not like fruit with
>> savory. Not mixed with meat or rice or similar, please
>> Janet US
>>

> I'm with you on that! But raisins in rice is ok sometimes for 'dessert' but
> that's about it.

I put chopped dried apricot in my lamb curry. It adds another layer of
flavour.

Boron Elgar[_1_] 12-01-2019 10:34 PM

Score!

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 11:24:42 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 9:05:51 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> First time I ever encountered fruit + savory was in a Persian stew
>> with apricots. I have since had it with chicken, lamb or veal as the
>> meat part.
>>
>> I have also had a chicken, pomegranate and walnut dish, too.
>>
>> Oh, I really miss watching that old friend cook. She could produce an
>> elegant, exotic and memorable sit down dinner for 12 made in her
>> kitchen the size of a postage stamp. Two people could not fit in it. I
>> used to stand in the hallway/doorframe just to observe.

>We had Moroccan food last week at a restaurant. Prunes and lemons with lamb. We had chicken pie with almonds and eggs. We ordered two of those bastillas covered with powdered sugar and cinnamon. We were lounging on cushions and I fell into a deep sleep. I was awakened with a sprinkling of orange water which is a rather pleasant way to be brought back into this world.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...itytlaO7sHD71x

We have a Moroccan restaurant not far from us. The food is wonderful.
Once, many years ago, as we sat eating/lounging, a large party came in
and every person on staff jumped to attention to seat and attend the
group, who were all very well dressed..almost formally so for the men,
who were sort of beefy, big guys.

Ultimately, we got to see who the "star" of the large party was -
Imelda Marcos. The guys were her body guards.

She had on really nice shoes.

U.S. Janet B. 13-01-2019 12:22 AM

Score!

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 17:34:40 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 11:24:42 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 9:05:51 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>>
>>> First time I ever encountered fruit + savory was in a Persian stew
>>> with apricots. I have since had it with chicken, lamb or veal as the
>>> meat part.
>>>
>>> I have also had a chicken, pomegranate and walnut dish, too.
>>>
>>> Oh, I really miss watching that old friend cook. She could produce an
>>> elegant, exotic and memorable sit down dinner for 12 made in her
>>> kitchen the size of a postage stamp. Two people could not fit in it. I
>>> used to stand in the hallway/doorframe just to observe.

>>We had Moroccan food last week at a restaurant. Prunes and lemons with lamb. We had chicken pie with almonds and eggs. We ordered two of those bastillas covered with powdered sugar and cinnamon. We were lounging on cushions and I fell into a deep sleep. I was awakened with a sprinkling of orange water which is a rather pleasant way to be brought back into this world.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...itytlaO7sHD71x

>We have a Moroccan restaurant not far from us. The food is wonderful.
>Once, many years ago, as we sat eating/lounging, a large party came in
>and every person on staff jumped to attention to seat and attend the
>group, who were all very well dressed..almost formally so for the men,
>who were sort of beefy, big guys.
>
>Ultimately, we got to see who the "star" of the large party was -
>Imelda Marcos. The guys were her body guards.
>
>She had on really nice shoes.

I love your postscript :-)

Ophelia[_16_] 13-01-2019 08:23 AM

Score!

dsi1[_2_] 13-01-2019 09:42 AM

Score!

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 12:34:46 PM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:

> We have a Moroccan restaurant not far from us. The food is wonderful.
> Once, many years ago, as we sat eating/lounging, a large party came in
> and every person on staff jumped to attention to seat and attend the
> group, who were all very well dressed..almost formally so for the men,
> who were sort of beefy, big guys.
>
> Ultimately, we got to see who the "star" of the large party was -
> Imelda Marcos. The guys were her body guards.
>
> She had on really nice shoes.

Imelda seemed like a fun gal. She kept us entertained when she was exiled on this rock. There's a lot of Filipinos here. A lot of them were loyal followers and also a few that hated her. She had a small fiefdom here. I keep thinking that she's dead but she's still alive and kicking. :)

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-01-2019 03:08 PM

Score!

On 2019-01-13 4:42 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 12:34:46 PM UTC-10, Boron Elgar

>> She had on really nice shoes.

> Imelda seemed like a fun gal. She kept us entertained when she was
> exiled on this rock. There's a lot of Filipinos here. A lot of them
> were loyal followers and also a few that hated her. She had a small
> fiefdom here. I keep thinking that she's dead but she's still alive
> and kicking. :)

Apparently she was recently convicted on corruption charges and is
facing a lot of prison time.

Janet 13-01-2019 03:36 PM

Score!

In article >,
says...

> On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 10:42:50 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > And I really like fruit and chocolate, but, I do not like fruit with
> > savory. Not mixed with meat or rice or similar, please
> > Janet US
> >

> I'm with you on that! But raisins in rice is ok sometimes for 'dessert' but
> that's about it.

Not me. I like

Pork and apples. Turkey and cranberries. Ham and pineapple. Sole and
grapes. Duck and orange.

Janet UK

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-01-2019 03:45 PM

Score!

On 2019-01-13 10:36 a.m., Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

>> I'm with you on that! But raisins in rice is ok sometimes for 'dessert' but
>> that's about it.

> Not me. I like
>
> Pork and apples. Turkey and cranberries. Ham and pineapple. Sole and
> grapes. Duck and orange.

Apple is great with pork. I used to love spiced crab apples with it but
I have not seen those things for sale for years. Cranberry is a must
for turkey, but the real thing, not the glop in a can. It is also good
with chicken and capon. One of the important ingredients in the curry I
make with leftover lamb is chopped dried apricots.

dsi1[_2_] 13-01-2019 07:05 PM

Score!

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 5:07:05 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-13 4:42 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 12:34:46 PM UTC-10, Boron Elgar

> >> She had on really nice shoes.

> > Imelda seemed like a fun gal. She kept us entertained when she was
> > exiled on this rock. There's a lot of Filipinos here. A lot of them
> > were loyal followers and also a few that hated her. She had a small
> > fiefdom here. I keep thinking that she's dead but she's still alive
> > and kicking. :)
> >

> Apparently she was recently convicted on corruption charges and is
> facing a lot of prison time.

Imelda Marcos in prison? Now that would be something. I don't that that anyone expects that she's going to ever be imprisoned. She's kind of a beloved character. I used to see the Marco's buddy/crony/henchman driving around in a gold Rolls Royce. That guy was a character too. She's outlived them all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Dcu6hCnlg

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-01-2019 07:27 PM

Score!

On 2019-01-13 2:05 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 5:07:05 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-01-13 4:42 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
>>> On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 12:34:46 PM UTC-10, Boron Elgar

>>> Imelda seemed like a fun gal. She kept us entertained when she
>>> was exiled on this rock. There's a lot of Filipinos here. A lot
>>> of them were loyal followers and also a few that hated her. She
>>> had a small fiefdom here. I keep thinking that she's dead but
>>> she's still alive and kicking. :)
>>>

>> Apparently she was recently convicted on corruption charges and is
>> facing a lot of prison time.

> Imelda Marcos in prison? Now that would be something. I don't that
> that anyone expects that she's going to ever be imprisoned. She's
> kind of a beloved character. I used to see the Marco's
> buddy/crony/henchman driving around in a gold Rolls Royce. That guy
> was a character too. She's outlived them all.
>She was indicted more than 25 years ago and finally convicted back in

November. She is facing up to 77 years in jail but some seem to think
they won't jail her because of her age. IMO, her age should not be
considered as much as the fact that she has stalled the case for so long.

dsi1[_2_] 13-01-2019 09:20 PM

Score!

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 9:25:57 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >She was indicted more than 25 years ago and finally convicted back in

> November. She is facing up to 77 years in jail but some seem to think
> they won't jail her because of her age. IMO, her age should not be
> considered as much as the fact that she has stalled the case for so long.

At the age of 89, I would hesitate at throwing her wrinkly ass in the pokey. Perhaps she should be forced to reside at one the less reputable nursing homes in the United States. I think that's fair. :)

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-01-2019 09:38 PM

Score!

On 2019-01-13 4:20 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 9:25:57 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>> She was indicted more than 25 years ago and finally convicted
>>> back in

>> November. She is facing up to 77 years in jail but some seem to
>> think they won't jail her because of her age. IMO, her age should
>> not be considered as much as the fact that she has stalled the case
>> for so long.

> At the age of 89, I would hesitate at throwing her wrinkly ass in the
> pokey. Perhaps she should be forced to reside at one the less
> reputable nursing homes in the United States. I think that's fair.
> :)

Why would you feel sorry for her? She is a crook. She would have been
fit enough to go to jail 25 years ago when she was first indicted.