Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The score at the store is not always a score

The other day I was in Sprouts and they were closing out 2 #2 bags of real
Arborio rice at 99 cents per bag. I gobbled up the bags.

I also decided to but some mushrooms just in case.

# 2 daughter & new grandson are with us for a while and she's a cheese
freak.

This was a golden opportunity to make some mushroom risotto.

Then I though about the gorgonzola cheese in the fridge. So I looked up a
mushroom & gorgonzola risotto recipe. So 1.50 worth of chicken stock about
$3.00 worth of parmesan reggiano and 4.00 worth of Gorgonzola and a couple
of bucks of mushrooms later I made good use of my 75 cents of bargain rice.
( not to mention the 1/2 cup of white wine and a few other ingredients)

Maybe next time I'll think twice - but it was awfully good.

Dimitri

..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 14:36:19 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> The other day I was in Sprouts and they were closing out 2 #2 bags of real
> Arborio rice at 99 cents per bag. I gobbled up the bags.

Wow - great price!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2011 3:36 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> The other day I was in Sprouts and they were closing out 2 #2 bags of
> real Arborio rice at 99 cents per bag. I gobbled up the bags.
>
> I also decided to but some mushrooms just in case.
>
> # 2 daughter & new grandson are with us for a while and she's a cheese
> freak.
>
> This was a golden opportunity to make some mushroom risotto.
>
> Then I though about the gorgonzola cheese in the fridge. So I looked up
> a mushroom & gorgonzola risotto recipe. So 1.50 worth of chicken stock
> about $3.00 worth of parmesan reggiano and 4.00 worth of Gorgonzola and
> a couple of bucks of mushrooms later I made good use of my 75 cents of
> bargain rice. ( not to mention the 1/2 cup of white wine and a few other
> ingredients)
>
> Maybe next time I'll think twice - but it was awfully good.
>
> Dimitri

If it was really good, don't complain about the added cost. After all,
you got a bargain. You could have paid full price for the rice (or made
a simpler risotto.) I'm not sure I would like Gorgonzola in risotto
although I have loved every version I've ever tried. The best so far
was risotto parmigiano with buttery sauteed chanterelle mushrooms.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:10:37 -0700, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> I'm not sure I would like Gorgonzola in risotto
> although I have loved every version I've ever tried. The best so far
> was risotto parmigiano with buttery sauteed chanterelle mushrooms.

Oh, man... I was feeling hungry, but you've gone and pushed me over
the edge. That sounds soooo good! Must.find.recipe.

Thrift store score - vitamix jt august[_3_] Cooking Equipment 1 08-10-2014 07:43 PM
Grocery store score !!!!! 8-) Sky General Cooking 3 08-04-2014 01:28 AM
Grocery Store Score - Thanks Computer! jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 13 22-01-2011 05:03 AM
Another Score Dimitri General Cooking 7 17-11-2009 05:41 PM
Grocery Store... score? jmcquown General Cooking 1 26-06-2007 07:54 PM