Old 29-12-2018, 03:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default BaccalÃ*

On 2018-12-28 11:56 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

Swedish folks like to prepare their salt cod by soaking it in lye for a couple of days. My understanding is that it turns fish into a jelly-like substance/material/mass. It then has to be soaked in water for a few days to neutralize the caustic and dangerous lye. They like to serve this during the holidays. Somehow, abusing fish in this manner is their idea of being "festive." It's no wonder they have such a high suicide rate.

The US rate is higher! Which food is responsible?

Old 29-12-2018, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-28 11:56 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

Swedish folks like to prepare their salt cod by soaking it in lye for a couple of days. My understanding is that it turns fish into a jelly-like substance/material/mass. It then has to be soaked in water for a few days to neutralize the caustic and dangerous lye. They like to serve this during the holidays. Somehow, abusing fish in this manner is their idea of being "festive." It's no wonder they have such a high suicide rate.

The US rate is higher! Which food is responsible?

Buffalo wings

Cindy Hamilton
Old 29-12-2018, 05:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baccalà

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 10:40:48 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
The US rate is higher! Which food is responsible?

Buffalo wings

Heh. Not a bad way to go out though imo. :-D
Old 29-12-2018, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-28 11:56 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

Swedish folks like to prepare their salt cod by soaking it in lye for a couple of days. My understanding is that it turns fish into a jelly-like substance/material/mass. It then has to be soaked in water for a few days to neutralize the caustic and dangerous lye. They like to serve this during the holidays. Somehow, abusing fish in this manner is their idea of being "festive." It's no wonder they have such a high suicide rate.

The US rate is higher! Which food is responsible?

Buffalo wings

Ah, I see.... mild, medium hot and suicide.

Old 29-12-2018, 08:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-28 11:56 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

Swedish folks like to prepare their salt cod by soaking it in lye
for a couple of days. My understanding is that it turns fish into a
jelly-like substance/material/mass. It then has to be soaked in
water for a few days to neutralize the caustic and dangerous lye.
They like to serve this during the holidays. Somehow, abusing fish
in this manner is their idea of being "festive." It's no wonder
they have such a high suicide rate.

The US rate is higher! Which food is responsible?

Eating Turkey again so soon for the USA? (sad smile, not grinning at
our suicide rates at all).

Old 29-12-2018, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-28 11:56 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

Swedish folks like to prepare their salt cod by soaking it in lye for a couple of days. My understanding is that it turns fish into a jelly-like substance/material/mass. It then has to be soaked in water for a few days to neutralize the caustic and dangerous lye. They like to serve this during the holidays. Somehow, abusing fish in this manner is their idea of being "festive." It's no wonder they have such a high suicide rate.

The US rate is higher! Which food is responsible?

That's a good question. My guess is that it's not food but the feelings of isolation and alienation brought on by our always connected society. My guess is that the young people in this country are feeling the squeeze of their diminishing quality of life and outlook for the future. The alarming rise in the suicide rate will probably be accompanied by a drop in the population growth rate in the US. Well, that's my feeling about it anyway.

The picture ain't as rosy as the boomers paint it. They got the luxury of owning a home and being able to deny that the earth's climate is increasing in temperature at an alarming rate because mostly, it won't affect their self-indulgent asses. The young folks don't.
Old 30-12-2018, 11:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-28 11:56 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

[...]

Suicide rates are highest among middle-aged men:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_the_United_States#Number_of_suicides_by _age_group_and_sex

Your cohort.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 30-12-2018, 03:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-28 11:56 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

[...]

There are successful and unsuccessful attempts at suicide. While
suicide rates vary from one country or region to another, one of the
constants is that men are generally better than women at killing
themselves. Hence, more male than female suicides and more female than
male attempts.

There have been rash of suicides in nearby St.Catharines. There is a
nice new bridge that has become a favourite launching pad. Since it is
on a main artery to one section of the city and it spans a river valley
with a major highway, the suicides result in major traffic problems due
lengthy road closures for police investigations. That means that the
suicides end up in the news. Well meaning friends and sympathetic
members of the public put up little monuments to the people who killed
themselves. Then the troubles people city are drawn to it like a bunch
of lemmings.

People are demanding that there be barriers set up to try to prevent
people from jumping. It's a damned shame that we can't have a really
nice looking bridge without ruining the aesthetics of the design with
barriers. There was a bit of controversy when the city decided to remove
all the commemorations. They thought, quite rightly, that it was better
not to draw attention to the bridge. FWIW, the same city has a skyway
bridge over a canal that has been the demise of countless jumpers over
the years. It never became as controversial as this new bridge because
the suicides were not publicized. The authorities know that letting the
public know that a location has been the site of a successful suicide
will attract more of them.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 09:06:12 GMT, Pamela
wrote:

On 07:13 29 Dec 2018, Bruce wrote in
:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 22:56:47 -0800 (PST), dsi1

On 2018-12-28 1:16 p.m., joecool wrote:

They usually have it for sale at the local Zehr's store. It sits out
in a big basket and is stiff as a board. I should try it in a
restaurant some time. I don't have any qualms about eating it. I just
don't want to go to all the work to prepare it if it in isn't great.

Swedish folks like to prepare their salt cod by soaking it in lye for a
couple of days. My understanding is that it turns fish into a
jelly-like substance/material/mass. It then has to be soaked in water
for a few days to neutralize the caustic and dangerous lye. They like
to serve this during the holidays. Somehow, abusing fish in this manner
is their idea of being "festive." It's no wonder they have such a high
suicide rate.

Suicide rate per 100,000 people per year:
Sweden 11.7
United States 28

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Where on that page does it say 28 for the United States?

The page I see says it's 13.7.

I must have gotten my wires crossed, but it's till higher than Sweden.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-28 1:16 p.m., joecool wrote:

[...]

In the second chart the US was ranked no.28 for suicide rate per
100,000 (averaged over the years from 1985-2017).

Old 03-01-2019, 04:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-03 11:03 a.m., Pamela wrote:
On 10:12 3 Jan 2019, Bruce wrote in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Where on that page does it say 28 for the United States?

The page I see says it's 13.7.

I must have gotten my wires crossed, but it's till higher than Sweden.

You were posting false data.

You tried to give it credibility by providing a link even though it didn't
support your claim.

There were two lists on that page page, the top one was for the year
2017, and the one further down showed the average rate for 1995-2017.
The US suicide rate is higher than Sweden's in both lists.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-03 11:31 a.m., Pamela wrote:
On 16:19 3 Jan 2019, Dave Smith wrote in
:

On 2019-01-03 11:03 a.m., Pamela wrote:
On 10:12 3 Jan 2019, Bruce wrote in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Where on that page does it say 28 for the United States?

The page I see says it's 13.7.

I must have gotten my wires crossed, but it's till higher than
Sweden.

You were posting false data.

You tried to give it credibility by providing a link even though it
didn't support your claim.

There were two lists on that page page, the top one was for the year
2017, and the one further down showed the average rate for 1995-2017.
The US suicide rate is higher than Sweden's in both lists.

In neither list is it anything close to 28, as stated by Bruce. That's the
lie.

In the list of suicide rates per 100,000 1985 to 2017, US was ranked
no. 28. Sweden and Portugal were tied in 38th spot.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-28 1:16 p.m., joecool wrote:

[...]

You're saying he can't read a table and ended up comparing two entirely
different things as a way of supporting his argument.

You are the one denying that there is a number 28 associated with the
US. dsi1 was the one who suggested a link between suicide and the
Swedish treatment of salted fish. Graham pointed out that the US rate
was higher. Bruce did confuse the numbers. I am not going to make
excuses for him, but the rankings do show that the US suicide rate is
higher.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 11:19:06 -0500, Dave Smith

On 2019-01-03 11:03 a.m., Pamela wrote:
On 10:12 3 Jan 2019, Bruce wrote in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Where on that page does it say 28 for the United States?

The page I see says it's 13.7.

I must have gotten my wires crossed, but it's till higher than Sweden.

You were posting false data.

You tried to give it credibility by providing a link even though it didn't
support your claim.

There were two lists on that page page, the top one was for the year
2017, and the one further down showed the average rate for 1995-2017.
The US suicide rate is higher than Sweden's in both lists.

Point made, thank you.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 17:35:54 GMT, Pamela
wrote:

On 16:49 3 Jan 2019, Dave Smith wrote in
:

On 2019-01-03 11:03 a.m., Pamela wrote:
On 10:12 3 Jan 2019, Bruce wrote in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Where on that page does it say 28 for the United States?

The page I see says it's 13.7.

I must have gotten my wires crossed, but it's till higher than
Sweden.

You were posting false data.

You tried to give it credibility by providing a link even though it
didn't support your claim.

There were two lists on that page page, the top one was for the year
2017, and the one further down showed the average rate for 1995-2017.
The US suicide rate is higher than Sweden's in both lists.

In neither list is it anything close to 28, as stated by Bruce.
That's the lie.

In the list of suicide rates per 100,000 1985 to 2017, US was ranked
no. 28. Sweden and Portugal were tied in 38th spot.

How does that support Bruce's false allegation that there are 28 suicides
per 100,000 in the US every year?

I already told you I made a mistake. You're not too bright, are you?