FoodBanter.com

-   -   Baccalŕ (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445449-baccal.html)

joecool 28-12-2018 01:05 AM

Baccalŕ

Felt like posting something to distract from the leery dude with the
chocolate.

I picked up salt cod, baccalŕ, from my local Costco a couple weeks ago.
Never had it before. Made a really basic recipe called baccalŕ lesso. Let
the fish soak in water for about 24 hours in the fridge before using.

Once soaked, I simmered in boiling water for 20 minutes or so and topped
with some olive oil, garlic, and parsley. Pretty decent.

I gather this is a Christmas food for Portuguese and Italians, if anyone
else has tried, what was your favorite recipe?

Joe

Graham 28-12-2018 02:11 AM

BaccalĂ

On 2018-12-27 6:05 p.m., joecool wrote:
Felt like posting something to distract from the leery dude with the
chocolate.

I picked up salt cod, baccalĂ*, from my local Costco a couple weeks ago.
Never had it before. Made a really basic recipe called baccalĂ* lesso. Let
the fish soak in water for about 24 hours in the fridge before using.

Once soaked, I simmered in boiling water for 20 minutes or so and topped
with some olive oil, garlic, and parsley. Pretty decent.

I gather this is a Christmas food for Portuguese and Italians, if anyone
else has tried, what was your favorite recipe?

Joe

You could try Brandade de Morue, the French dish that I had once in a
town in the Languedoc:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...otato-brandade

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...alt-cod-gratin

Good cold weather food!

jmcquown[_2_] 28-12-2018 05:03 AM

BaccalĂ

On 12/27/2018 8:05 PM, joecool wrote:
Felt like posting something to distract from the leery dude with the
chocolate.

I picked up salt cod, baccalĂ*, from my local Costco a couple weeks ago.
Never had it before. Made a really basic recipe called baccalĂ* lesso. Let
the fish soak in water for about 24 hours in the fridge before using.

Once soaked, I simmered in boiling water for 20 minutes or so and topped
with some olive oil, garlic, and parsley. Pretty decent.

I gather this is a Christmas food for Portuguese and Italians, if anyone
else has tried, what was your favorite recipe?

Joe

I've heard of it but I have not tried it. From what I've seen on
cooking shows it definitely needs to be long soaked to remove the salt
used to preserve it. Nice of you to give it a try. I doubt I can find
anything like it near where I live.

Jill

[email protected] 28-12-2018 12:51 PM

Baccalŕ

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 00:03:16 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

That depends entirely on taste, the Jamaican dish I used to do
required very little de-salting. Maybe an hour to two hours in some
water.

Here it is sold in packets, the more expensive are fillets and the
cheaper are pieces and trimmings. Choice depends on how you want to
use it. Salted it is shelf stable.

Graham 28-12-2018 03:08 PM

BaccalĂ

wrote:

[...]

Was that salt cod and ackee? We had a Jamaican nanny many years ago who
prepared that for us. Very unusual:-) She also introduced us to rice
with peas, i.e., rice, red beans and coconut.

jmcquown[_2_] 28-12-2018 04:23 PM

BaccalĂ

wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's shelf stable. People on ships coming to the "new world"
salted fish for that very reason. I can't speak to what you made but 2
hours sounds like a long enough soak to me. What I saw was an Italian
dish. I did not pay strict attention because I know I cannot find
baccala where I live so will never have a chance to try it.

Jill

[email protected] 28-12-2018 04:43 PM

Baccalŕ

wrote:

[...]

You guessed it! My father was born in the barracks in Kingston just
ahead of the major earthquake, he retained a love of Jamaican food all
his life.

jmcquown[_2_] 28-12-2018 05:33 PM

BaccalĂ

On 2018-12-28 5:51 a.m.,
wrote:

[...]

Okay, well joecool was posting about using it in an Italian or
Portuguese dish and that's what I saw on the cooking show. I really
don't know a thing about baccala other than what I saw on the show.

Jill

joecool 28-12-2018 06:16 PM

Baccalŕ

On 2018-12-28 5:51 a.m.,
wrote:

[...]

I should note that I had seen baccalŕ before stored at room temp, the fish
looking stiff as a board. The type of salt cod Costco carried was just firm
to the touch, skinned and deboned.

I actually heard the room temp stable salt cod does well soaking for 2
days. There are also apparently pre-soaked ones for sale.

It still held a good salty flavor once cooked, I can imagine it would be
good in a chowder or stew in place of clams.

Joe

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 28-12-2018 06:22 PM

BaccalĂ

On 2018-12-28 5:51 a.m.,
wrote:

[...]

I should note that I had seen baccalĂ* before stored at room temp, the fish
looking stiff as a board. The type of salt cod Costco carried was just firm
to the touch, skinned and deboned.

I actually heard the room temp stable salt cod does well soaking for 2
days. There are also apparently pre-soaked ones for sale.

It still held a good salty flavor once cooked, I can imagine it would be
good in a chowder or stew in place of clams.

Joe

You won't find it in my house. My wife's Italian grandfather bought the
dried stuff a few times a year and she despised it. He would soak it
and change the water but she always thought it was a nasty salt bomb.

Years ago salting and drying was a necessity to keep foods with no
refrigeration. Some were good, others less so, but tastes vary.

[email protected] 28-12-2018 07:23 PM

Baccalŕ

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 18:16:28 GMT, joecool

On 2018-12-28 5:51 a.m.,
wrote:

[...]

Salt cod was a staple here in NS, though like everything else with the
demise of cod, it's pricy now. The trade was great back in the day
with Jamaica, rum in exchange for salt cod.

Dave Smith[_1_] 28-12-2018 09:52 PM

BaccalĂ

On 2018-12-28 1:16 p.m., joecool wrote:

I should note that I had seen baccalĂ* before stored at room temp, the fish
looking stiff as a board. The type of salt cod Costco carried was just firm
to the touch, skinned and deboned.

I actually heard the room temp stable salt cod does well soaking for 2
days. There are also apparently pre-soaked ones for sale.

It still held a good salty flavor once cooked, I can imagine it would be
good in a chowder or stew in place of clams.

They usually have it for sale at the local Zehr's store. It sits out in
a big basket and is stiff as a board. I should try it in a restaurant
some time. I don't have any qualms about eating it. I just don't want to
go to all the work to prepare it if it in isn't great.

dsi1[_17_] 29-12-2018 06:56 AM

BaccalĂ

On 2018-12-28 1:16 p.m., joecool wrote:

I should note that I had seen baccalĂ* before stored at room temp, the fish
looking stiff as a board. The type of salt cod Costco carried was just firm
to the touch, skinned and deboned.

I actually heard the room temp stable salt cod does well soaking for 2
days. There are also apparently pre-soaked ones for sale.

It still held a good salty flavor once cooked, I can imagine it would be
good in a chowder or stew in place of clams.

They usually have it for sale at the local Zehr's store. It sits out in
a big basket and is stiff as a board. I should try it in a restaurant
some time. I don't have any qualms about eating it. I just don't want to
go to all the work to prepare it if it in isn't great.

Swedish folks like to prepare their salt cod by soaking it in lye for a couple of days. My understanding is that it turns fish into a jelly-like substance/material/mass. It then has to be soaked in water for a few days to neutralize the caustic and dangerous lye. They like to serve this during the holidays. Somehow, abusing fish in this manner is their idea of being "festive." It's no wonder they have such a high suicide rate.

Bruce[_28_] 29-12-2018 07:13 AM

Baccalŕ

On 2018-12-28 1:16 p.m., joecool wrote:

They usually have it for sale at the local Zehr's store. It sits out in
a big basket and is stiff as a board. I should try it in a restaurant
some time. I don't have any qualms about eating it. I just don't want to
go to all the work to prepare it if it in isn't great.

Swedish folks like to prepare their salt cod by soaking it in lye for a couple of days. My understanding is that it turns fish into a jelly-like substance/material/mass. It then has to be soaked in water for a few days to neutralize the caustic and dangerous lye. They like to serve this during the holidays. Somehow, abusing fish in this manner is their idea of being "festive." It's no wonder they have such a high suicide rate.

Suicide rate per 100,000 people per year:
Sweden 11.7
United States 28

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Bruce[_28_] 29-12-2018 07:21 AM

Baccalŕ

wrote:

[...]

Ok, who's going to tell this poor woman where she can buy baccala
online?