Ray

Default REQ: Baccala (Salted Cod) Spread

I saw a dish on The Italian Christmas Special on The Food Network. It was a
spread for crostini made primarily with the cod and potatoes then put in the
food processor to make the spread. It wasn't on the website with some of
the other recipes from that show.

Has anyone made something like it and can share their recipe??

Thanks,
Ray

--
Ray

Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Chef R. W. Miller

Ingredients

quantity dried Cod
quarter of Cod's weight in olive oil
salt and pepper to taste and flavour with
a little finely chopped garlic

Method
Dried cod, or more properly "stockfish", came from North in exchange
for spices and has always been a major part of Venetian cuisine. It can be
prepared in many ways besides the following, which is perhaps the most
popular.

a.. In a large container, cover dried cod with water; and leave to
soak for 48 hours, changing the water periodically.
a.. Boil for 2 - 3 minutes in salted water.
a.. Divide into very small pieces, including the skin and the bit of
intestinal membrane found inside.
a.. Put these pieces into a churn (or Cuisinart with appropriate
attachment) and beat together with a quarter of their weight in olive oil
or, if preferred, vegetable oil - to be added very slowly, a littie bit at a
time.
a.. Churn until eveything is reduced to a sort of delicate cream,
then add salt and pepper to taste and flavour with a very little finely
chopped garlic. The amount of oil can be increased if necessary. Some people
add a bit of the cooking broth and / or a bit of hot milk to make creamier.

"Ray" > wrote in message
.net...
> I saw a dish on The Italian Christmas Special on The Food Network. It was

> spread for crostini made primarily with the cod and potatoes then put in

the
> food processor to make the spread. It wasn't on the website with some of
> the other recipes from that show.
>
> Has anyone made something like it and can share their recipe??
>

> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Chef R. W. Miller

[...]

"Ray" > wrote in message
.net...
> I saw a dish on The Italian Christmas Special on The Food Network. It was

> spread for crostini made primarily with the cod and potatoes then put in

the
> food processor to make the spread. It wasn't on the website with some of
> the other recipes from that show.
>
> Has anyone made something like it and can share their recipe??
>

> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Louis Cohen

There's a similar traditional French dish called brandade. Here's a recipe
from Food TV:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._19199,00.html

Note that this recipe starts with making your own salt cod - if you buy
baccala (or bacalao in Spanish markets or bacalho in Portuguese stores),
soak it for 2 days, changing the water twice a day.
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Ray" > wrote in message
.net...
>I saw a dish on The Italian Christmas Special on The Food Network. It was
> spread for crostini made primarily with the cod and potatoes then put in
> the
> food processor to make the spread. It wasn't on the website with some of
> the other recipes from that show.
>
> Has anyone made something like it and can share their recipe??
>

> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Louis Cohen

There's a similar traditional French dish called brandade. Here's a recipe
from Food TV:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._19199,00.html

Note that this recipe starts with making your own salt cod - if you buy
baccala (or bacalao in Spanish markets or bacalho in Portuguese stores),
soak it for 2 days, changing the water twice a day.
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Ray" > wrote in message
.net...
>I saw a dish on The Italian Christmas Special on The Food Network. It was
> spread for crostini made primarily with the cod and potatoes then put in
> the
> food processor to make the spread. It wasn't on the website with some of
> the other recipes from that show.
>
> Has anyone made something like it and can share their recipe??
>

> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Victor Sack

Chef R. W. Miller > wrote:

> Ingredients
>
> quantity dried Cod
> quarter of Cod's weight in olive oil
> salt and pepper to taste and flavour with
> a little finely chopped garlic
>
> Method

[snip]

An Antico Martini recipe lifted verbatim without attribution from
<http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages22/recip1078.htm>.

Victor
BOB

Victor Sack wrote:
> Chef R. W. Miller > wrote:
>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> quantity dried Cod
>> quarter of Cod's weight in olive oil
>> salt and pepper to taste and flavour with
>> a little finely chopped garlic
>>
>> Method

> [snip]
>
> An Antico Martini recipe lifted verbatim without attribution from
> <http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages22/recip1078.htm>.
>
> Victor

Victor,
Seems like "Old Cheffie" does that a lot, doesn't it?

BOB

BOB

Victor Sack wrote:
> Chef R. W. Miller > wrote:
>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> quantity dried Cod
>> quarter of Cod's weight in olive oil
>> salt and pepper to taste and flavour with
>> a little finely chopped garlic
>>
>> Method

> [snip]
>
> An Antico Martini recipe lifted verbatim without attribution from
> <http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages22/recip1078.htm>.
>
> Victor

Victor,
Seems like "Old Cheffie" does that a lot, doesn't it?

BOB

BOB

Victor Sack wrote:
> Chef R. W. Miller > wrote:
>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> quantity dried Cod
>> quarter of Cod's weight in olive oil
>> salt and pepper to taste and flavour with
>> a little finely chopped garlic
>>
>> Method

> [snip]
>
> An Antico Martini recipe lifted verbatim without attribution from
> <http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages22/recip1078.htm>.
>
> Victor

Victor,
Seems like "Old Cheffie" does that a lot, doesn't it?

BOB

Victor Sack

BOB > wrote:

> >> quantity dried Cod

> > [snip]
> >
> > An Antico Martini recipe lifted verbatim without attribution from
> > <http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages22/recip1078.htm>.

> Victor,
> Seems like "Old Cheffie" does that a lot, doesn't it?

Heh!

Victor

My father's family ate this dish on every Christmas Eve. Take a dried
or salted cod and soak until the fish is not too salty too the taste.
This can take days depending the source of the fish. When ready to
cook, bone and pound the meat into pulp with a wooden mallet. Boil a
couple of large diced potatoes until done. Place the fish in 1/2 cup
of good olive oil along with 4 minced garlic cloves. When the garlic
softens add the potatoes and 1/4 cup of chopped Italian parsley and
stir until very well mixed. This was usually served with polenta. I
suppose you could put it in a blender to make a spread.
D.M.

Jerry DeAngelis

Ray

Perhaps I missed it but the responses thus far do not include potatoes
in the recipe. You may be describing Brandade - salt cod, potatoes,
olive oil and garlic. This is a French dish. Make this and then make
crostini with it. Brandade may be found in many cookbooks or on the
internet.

Italians make many salt cod and potato dishes. Sicilians make
Sfinciuni - salt cod and potatoes, baked in the oven. Baccala con le
Patate ("Baccala with Potatoes" is another dish from Emilia-Romagna,
but is different from what you describe, and is also baked. Pradelli's
book - il Grande Libro della Cucina Italiana contains 5000 recipes, of
which 50 are for various Baccala dishes.

Creamed salt cod is "Baccala Montecato" and the ingredients are

2 lbs salt cod - soaked
1 clove garlic (more if you like garlic)
olive oil Q.B. (Quanto Basta = as much as you like)
Salt and pepper.

In Venice this is served with warm slices of polenta. but can also be
served on grilled or toasted bread. It is basically Brandade without the
potatoes. We have made a variation of this by adding 2-3 small baked and
peeled Yukon Gold potatoes, then whipping it with olive oil and garlic.
It is great on Grilled bread. It is also good, baked for about 15
minutes at 450 degrees F., then placed under the broiler until it gets a
nice caramelized crust.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jerry @ the Artisan

"Ray" > wrote in message
.net...
>I saw a dish on The Italian Christmas Special on The Food Network. It
>was a
> spread for crostini made primarily with the cod and potatoes then put
> in the
> food processor to make the spread. It wasn't on the website with some
> of
> the other recipes from that show.
>
> Has anyone made something like it and can share their recipe??
>

> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Jerry DeAngelis

[...]

"Ray" > wrote in message
.net...
>I saw a dish on The Italian Christmas Special on The Food Network. It
>was a
> spread for crostini made primarily with the cod and potatoes then put
> in the
> food processor to make the spread. It wasn't on the website with some
> of
> the other recipes from that show.
>
> Has anyone made something like it and can share their recipe??
>

> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Jerry DeAngelis

Hi D.M.

I sent my reply prior to seeing yours. If I had seen it, mine would not
have been necessary.

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My father's family ate this dish on every Christmas Eve. Take a dried
> or salted cod and soak until the fish is not too salty too the taste.
> This can take days depending the source of the fish. When ready to
> cook, bone and pound the meat into pulp with a wooden mallet. Boil a
> couple of large diced potatoes until done. Place the fish in 1/2 cup
> of good olive oil along with 4 minced garlic cloves. When the garlic
> softens add the potatoes and 1/4 cup of chopped Italian parsley and
> stir until very well mixed. This was usually served with polenta. I
> suppose you could put it in a blender to make a spread.
> D.M.

Jerry DeAngelis

Hi D.M.

I sent my reply prior to seeing yours. If I had seen it, mine would not
have been necessary.

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My father's family ate this dish on every Christmas Eve. Take a dried
> or salted cod and soak until the fish is not too salty too the taste.
> This can take days depending the source of the fish. When ready to
> cook, bone and pound the meat into pulp with a wooden mallet. Boil a
> couple of large diced potatoes until done. Place the fish in 1/2 cup
> of good olive oil along with 4 minced garlic cloves. When the garlic
> softens add the potatoes and 1/4 cup of chopped Italian parsley and
> stir until very well mixed. This was usually served with polenta. I
> suppose you could put it in a blender to make a spread.
> D.M.

Jerry DeAngelis

Hi D.M.

I sent my reply prior to seeing yours. If I had seen it, mine would not
have been necessary.

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My father's family ate this dish on every Christmas Eve. Take a dried
> or salted cod and soak until the fish is not too salty too the taste.
> This can take days depending the source of the fish. When ready to
> cook, bone and pound the meat into pulp with a wooden mallet. Boil a
> couple of large diced potatoes until done. Place the fish in 1/2 cup
> of good olive oil along with 4 minced garlic cloves. When the garlic
> softens add the potatoes and 1/4 cup of chopped Italian parsley and
> stir until very well mixed. This was usually served with polenta. I
> suppose you could put it in a blender to make a spread.
> D.M.

Jerry DeAngelis

Hello again:

I can only ascribe the fact that I did not remember we have had a
Baccala and Potato recipe on The Artisan for the past few years, and to
two things: 1.) I am old, and my brain is retreating, and/or 2.) The
site is getting too big for instant recall - 1450+ files.

At any rate, here is Baccala and Potatoes:
http://www.theartisan.net/baccala_with_potatoes.htm

It is served baked in this presentation, but it takes little imagination
to decide that after removing it from the oven one can spread it on
bread, and make either Bruschetta or Crostini.

Regards

Jerry @ the Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

"Ray" > wrote in message
.net...
>I saw a dish on The Italian Christmas Special on The Food Network. It
>was a
> spread for crostini made primarily with the cod and potatoes then put
> in the
> food processor to make the spread. It wasn't on the website with some
> of
> the other recipes from that show.
>
> Has anyone made something like it and can share their recipe??
>

> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Jerry DeAngelis

Hello again:

I can only ascribe the fact that I did not remember we have had a
Baccala and Potato recipe on The Artisan for the past few years, and to
two things: 1.) I am old, and my brain is retreating, and/or 2.) The
site is getting too big for instant recall - 1450+ files.

At any rate, here is Baccala and Potatoes:
http://www.theartisan.net/baccala_with_potatoes.htm

It is served baked in this presentation, but it takes little imagination
to decide that after removing it from the oven one can spread it on
bread, and make either Bruschetta or Crostini.

Regards

Jerry @ the Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

"Ray" > wrote in message
.net...
>I saw a dish on The Italian Christmas Special on The Food Network. It
>was a
> spread for crostini made primarily with the cod and potatoes then put
> in the
> food processor to make the spread. It wasn't on the website with some
> of
> the other recipes from that show.
>
> Has anyone made something like it and can share their recipe??
>

> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> --
> Ray
>
> Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Jerry DeAngelis

Hello again:

I can only ascribe the fact that I did not remember we have had a
Baccala and Potato recipe on The Artisan for the past few years, and to
two things: 1.) I am old, and my brain is retreating, and/or 2.) The
site is getting too big for instant recall - 1450+ files.

At any rate, here is Baccala and Potatoes:
http://www.theartisan.net/baccala_with_potatoes.htm

It is served baked in this presentation, but it takes little imagination
to decide that after removing it from the oven one can spread it on
bread, and make either Bruschetta or Crostini.

Regards

Jerry @ the Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

.net...