Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WalMart Grocery Section

On 9/22/2018 8:18 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.* While I was
>> waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section.* I'm now convinced
>> I'll never bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.* Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter.* They had a few "family packs" of chicken
>> thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely
>> chuck roast but not much else.* I commented to another customer and
>> she said, "It's always like that."
>>
>> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market
>> for a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>>
>> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>>
>> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
>> They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty.* Frozen vegetables?
>> Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
>> cauliflower!
>>
>> I picked up my prescription and left.* I think I'll stick to Publix or
>> Food Lion for groceries.
>>
>> Jill

> That certainly isn't the case where I am, huge meat section, and instore
> bakery well stocked. Also, lots and lots of frozen veggies etc. Do you
> think people might have cleaned the store out because of the hurricane?
>
> Cheri

It's entirely possible, although I can't think of why they'd be buying
up all the meat when a power outage during a hurricane is practically
guaranteed. It's possible their distribution center(s) were disrupted.
But the customer I spoke with (albeit briefly) said "It's always like this."

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 8:07 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 6:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 9/22/2018 5:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>>> sw mentioned but no luck.Â* The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
>>> glorified convenience store.Â* I could never picture that being my
>>> main grocery store.
>>>

>> Agreed.Â* Another thing I noticed at WalMart.Â* Sams Club store sized
>> items.Â* Extra large whatever.

> Hey, if you're going to wait in line, might as well stock up.
>>
>>> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>>> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.

>> This *is* a less populated area.

> You have Publix and other stores.Â* I've seen towns that all there is
> for many miles is the one WalMart.Â* You will shop there.

I'm *sure* there are places where WalMart is the only option. Of course
I'd shop there if it was my only recourse.

>> Â* WalMart pushed their way in through some zoning manipulation.Â* I
>> think they are not finding the local shoppers they thought they'd
>> get.Â* They built this huge Superstore. It's Saturday.Â* There were
>> barely any people shopping there.Â* I looked down the row of
>> checkouts.Â* There were many lights lit.Â* No lines, no waiting.

> Probably generated some ill will building there when people know
> they pulled a fast one.

You might recall, they tried to get zoning approved nearly 10 years ago
and were shot down. This time they did some fancy finagling and oh
joys, they were building a new WalMart!

>> Doesn't sound like it's getting the consumer volume they expected.Â* I
>> don't think it has anything to do with the storm.Â* I think they
>> under-estimated the potential customer base.

> It's always something with them.Â* The one near me is a few towns away.
> of course they let runoff pollute the stream on the property.Â* You are
> not allowed to disturb wetlands, but they just made a muddy mess and
> let the rain wash it away.Â* Got into trouble for that.
>
> nancy

They had to *fill in* part of the marsh (a wetlands area which should
have been protected under the conservancy) to build this behemoth store.
That was one reason people were so against it. The second time they
flew in just under the radar and got the zoning changed. I'm betting
money changed hands.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My Super Walmart has recently been very sparse, half of the displays were empty for a few weeks. Turns out they were doing a major revamping. They moved every aisle to remove the tile and they polished the cement floor. I do most of my staples shopping there, but produce and meat I buy at a regular grocery store. Toiletries and cleaning products are a lot cheaper at Walmart in my area. Their deli meat and cheese are good too. I've been to a couple Walmarts that weren't as nice as the one nearest me.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was
> > waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced
> > I'll never bother shopping for food there.
> >
> > The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
> > poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken
> > thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one
> > lonely chuck roast but not much else. I commented to another
> > customer and she said, "It's always like that."
> >
> > The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market
> > for a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
> >
> > There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
> >
> > Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
> > They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen
> > vegetables? Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags
> > of frozen riced cauliflower!

> I should think Florence has disrupted stock deliveries across
> a large area.
>
> Janet UK

It did. Florence hit about 400miles (I am not sure how that translates
to UK size). Some didnt get much damage (My area had costal flooding
but not what we would call major here).

Because they couldn't predict well on this one, approximately 20% of
Hampton roads was under evacuation orders.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 9/22/2018 8:18 PM, Cheri wrote:
> >"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > > I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.* While I was
> > > waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section.* I'm now
> > > convinced I'll never bother shopping for food there.
> > >
> > > The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.* Beef,
> > > pork, poultry, didn't matter.* They had a few "family packs" of
> > > chicken thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks
> > > and one lonely chuck roast but not much else.* I commented to
> > > another customer and she said, "It's always like that."
> > >
> > > The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the
> > > market for a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
> > >
> > > There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
> > >
> > > Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of
> > > them). They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty.* Frozen
> > > vegetables? Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of
> > > bags of frozen riced cauliflower!
> > >
> > > I picked up my prescription and left.* I think I'll stick to
> > > Publix or Food Lion for groceries.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > That certainly isn't the case where I am, huge meat section, and
> > instore bakery well stocked. Also, lots and lots of frozen veggies
> > etc. Do you think people might have cleaned the store out because
> > of the hurricane?
> >
> > Cheri

> It's entirely possible, although I can't think of why they'd be
> buying up all the meat when a power outage during a hurricane is
> practically guaranteed. It's possible their distribution center(s)
> were disrupted. But the customer I spoke with (albeit briefly) said
> "It's always like this."
>
> Jill

Jill, it's idiots who panic in a storm. They get 10 gallons of milk
for example with no plan if the power cuts out.

Happens every time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 2:42 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Jill, it's idiots who panic in a storm. They get 10 gallons of milk
> for example with no plan if the power cuts out.
>
> Happens every time.

I surely remember when living in the Memphis area, any time there was a
threat of *snow* there was a run on white stuff at the stores. Milk,
bread and toilet paper. Meat, not so much.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting I
>decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never bother
>shopping for food there.
>
> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck roast
> but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said, "It's
> always like that."
>
> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market for a
> pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>
> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>
> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them). They
> had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables? Vast empty
> spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced cauliflower!
>
> I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
> Food Lion for groceries.

If it is a standard Walmart, they don't have a full grocery section. A Super
Walmart will. I can't remember the last time I went into a regular Walmart.
My food purchases there are limited. Maybe soda pop, a can of something,
some standard kind of cheese, candy or gum. That's about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 8:09:18 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
If it is a standard Walmart, they don't have a full grocery section. A Super
> Walmart will. I can't remember the last time I went into a regular Walmart.
> My food purchases there are limited. Maybe soda pop, a can of something,
> some standard kind of cheese, candy or gum. That's about it.

MalWart or STUPID MalWart?

BOTH are EVIL!!

Frontline expose:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../walmart/view/

Music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw64hRgLBqM

Lyrics:
http://www.lyricsvip.com/The-Reveren...re-Lyrics.html

Results: Data from http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html

U.S. Trade Imbalance with China (millions of dollars, to China)

Year Amount
1985 6
1986 1664
1987 2796
1988 3489
1989 6234
1990 10431
1991 12591
1992 18309
1993 22777
1994 29505
1995 33789
1996 39520
1997 47695
1998 56927
1999 68677
2000 83833
2001 83096
2002 103064
2003 124068
2004 161938
2005 201544
2006 232548
2007 258506
2008 268040
2009 208688
2010 273063
2011 295422
2012 315053
2013 318417
2014 342632
2015 365694

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 2:01:53 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting
> I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
> bother shopping for food there.
>
> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
> roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
> "It's always like that."
>
> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market for
> a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>
> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>
> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
> They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables?
> Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
> cauliflower!
>
> I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
> Food Lion for groceries.
>
> Jill

We have two Walmart superstores, and they always have the most and freshest produce, a great bakery counter that also has pre-wrapped choices, and real personnel to help you or wait on you, and lots and lots of packaged meat, but no live butcher on site.

But I never shop there because it is too far for me to walk from the handicapped parking into the first aisle of stuff - about 3/4 of a block - and then anywhere I want to go is always the farthest aisle away. There are about 3 double frozen food aisles; I like that the lights in the cases don't click on until you pass by, or someone else does. I used to buy my Dove Chocolate Promises (bites) there because of the price, but lately they are always unavailable. I have on occasion ordered online and picked items up at the store, but even that has become too much for me.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 13:21:17 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> What I really use Walmart for
>> is the aisles. They cater to so many ethnic groups I can find darn
>> near anything I want there. They also carry all the various sizes of
>> Hefty bags from smallest to suitcase size.

> In Iowa? Huh. We have a pretty diverse ethnicity spread here but
> if it doesn't say La Choy, Ortega, or La Victoria on it, then it's
> fat white people food.

My Walmart Food Center has a few Mexican items that I can't get elsewhere
but not much in the way of Asian food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2018 11:03 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 2:01:53 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
>> Food Lion for groceries.
>>
>> Jill

> We have two Walmart superstores, and they always have the most and freshest produce, a great bakery counter that also has pre-wrapped choices, and real personnel to help you or wait on you, and lots and lots of packaged meat, but no live butcher on site.
>
> But I never shop there because it is too far for me to walk from the handicapped parking into the first aisle of stuff - about 3/4 of a block - and then anywhere I want to go is always the farthest aisle away. There are about 3 double frozen food aisles; I like that the lights in the cases don't click on until you pass by, or someone else does. I used to buy my Dove Chocolate Promises (bites) there because of the price, but lately they are always unavailable. I have on occasion ordered online and picked items up at the store, but even that has become too much for me.
>
> N.

This fairly new super WalMart is equally huge. The pharmacy is right
near the front but if I also want to buy cat food/litter it's waaaay in
the back. Even *without* mobility issues it's a PITA.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 9:48:36 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 9/24/2018 11:03 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 2:01:53 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >>
> >> I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
> >> Food Lion for groceries.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > We have two Walmart superstores, and they always have the most and freshest produce, a great bakery counter that also has pre-wrapped choices, and real personnel to help you or wait on you, and lots and lots of packaged meat, but no live butcher on site.
> >
> > But I never shop there because it is too far for me to walk from the handicapped parking into the first aisle of stuff - about 3/4 of a block - and then anywhere I want to go is always the farthest aisle away. There are about 3 double frozen food aisles; I like that the lights in the cases don't click on until you pass by, or someone else does. I used to buy my Dove Chocolate Promises (bites) there because of the price, but lately they are always unavailable. I have on occasion ordered online and picked items up at the store, but even that has become too much for me.
> >
> > N.
> >

> This fairly new super WalMart is equally huge. The pharmacy is right
> near the front but if I also want to buy cat food/litter it's waaaay in
> the back. Even *without* mobility issues it's a PITA.
>
> Jill

I rarely shop at Walmart, even tho it i large and supposedly has lots of goodies. I have shopped at publix and like it, here i shop at a new lovely HEB plus, love it, fairly close too. My most favorite is Trader joes, but it is 40 some miles away. my little town has grown considerably in the last few yars, last year was the second fastest growing town in the US, good and bad, but we have gotten a LOT more shopping.Hoping for a TJs in a couple of years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2018 1:03 PM, rosie wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 9:48:36 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

>>> We have two Walmart superstores, and they always have the most and freshest produce, a great bakery counter that also has pre-wrapped choices, and real personnel to help you or wait on you, and lots and lots of packaged meat, but no live butcher on site.
>>>
>>> But I never shop there because it is too far for me to walk from the handicapped parking into the first aisle of stuff - about 3/4 of a block - and then anywhere I want to go is always the farthest aisle away. There are about 3 double frozen food aisles; I like that the lights in the cases don't click on until you pass by, or someone else does. I used to buy my Dove Chocolate Promises (bites) there because of the price, but lately they are always unavailable. I have on occasion ordered online and picked items up at the store, but even that has become too much for me.
>>>
>>> N.
>>>

>> This fairly new super WalMart is equally huge. The pharmacy is right
>> near the front but if I also want to buy cat food/litter it's waaaay in
>> the back. Even *without* mobility issues it's a PITA.
>>
>> Jill

> I rarely shop at Walmart, even tho it i large and supposedly has lots of goodies. I have shopped at publix and like it, here i shop at a new lovely HEB plus, love it, fairly close too. My most favorite is Trader joes, but it is 40 some miles away. my little town has grown considerably in the last few yars, last year was the second fastest growing town in the US, good and bad, but we have gotten a LOT more shopping.Hoping for a TJs in a couple of years.

I can't count on a Trader Joe's or HEB. They did build a new, larger
Publix. The old Publix (IIRC 35,000 sq. ft.) still stands empty. I was
hoping maybe a Harris Teeter or Kroger might move into the space. There
was nothing wrong with the smaller store. I really don't need a 57,000
sq. ft. grocery store. The space is still empty but I notice someone is
maintaining the parking lot.

The only big difference with the newer Publix is they have a Hallmark
shop. And a salad and olive bar. I never see anyone around them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 12:17:08 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> I can't count on a Trader Joe's or HEB. They did build a new, larger
> Publix. The old Publix (IIRC 35,000 sq. ft.) still stands empty. I was
> hoping maybe a Harris Teeter or Kroger might move into the space.

Here, (nationally?) Kroger bought out Harris Teeter. The nearest one to
me was just a mile or so away from work. I hated to see it close.

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
15.223...
> On Sat 22 Sep 2018 12:01:35p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was
>> waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now
>> convinced I'll never bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef,
>> pork, poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of
>> chicken thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and
>> one lonely chuck roast but not much else. I commented to another
>> customer and she said, "It's always like that."
>>
>> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the
>> market for a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>>
>> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>>
>> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of
>> them). They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen
>> vegetables? Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags
>> of frozen riced cauliflower!
>>
>> I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to
>> Publix or Food Lion for groceries.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Believe me, all Walmarts are not the same. While I don't buy meat
> there, they do have plenty of it in all varieties. They have a large
> bakery section, but nothing I like except for their in-house baked
> French bread. It's quite good. Their shelf goods (canned, baking
> ingredients, spices,etc.) are large and well stocked. Their dairy
> section is also large, as is their fresh prduce section.. Their
> housekeeping section is larger than most supermarkets here.
>
> When go to the various supermarkets it's usually for meats and some
> of the items Walmart doesn't carry.
>
> I cannot find absolutely everything in one single store.

They sell grass fed, organic beef. They don't always have it in stock, but
when they do, I sometimes buy it. Also buy cheap frozen things like On Cor
on occasion, or branded things like ham and sausage. I do buy about one
pound of ground beef per week. The other things? Rarely. But they are good
to have because they keep well. Not necessarily because they are what we
want to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2018 3:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting I
>> decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
>> bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
>> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck roast
>> but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said, "It's
>> always like that."

> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
> sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
> glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
> main grocery store.
>
> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.

I sometimes shop at the WalMart Food Center. Their prices are on par with
Winco. Those two stores have the lowest prices in the area. If I had to, I
could use it as my only store but I would often have to change my plans for
what I was going to make. Sometimes the produce I want isn't available or
fresh and overall I prefer better meat. That being said, I don't personally
eat much meat. So that's not a big deal for me. Location is though. There
are other, closer stores and the traffic here is so terrible now, it can
take an hour to drive each way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2018 5:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 9/22/2018 3:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting I
>>> decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
>>> bother shopping for food there.
>>>
>>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
>>> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
>>> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
>>> roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
>>> "It's always like that."

>> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>> sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
>> glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
>> main grocery store.
>>

> Agreed. Another thing I noticed at WalMart. Sams Club store sized items.
> Extra large whatever.
>
>> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>>
>> nancy

> This *is* a less populated area. WalMart pushed their way in through some
> zoning manipulation. I think they are not finding the local shoppers they
> thought they'd get. They built this huge Superstore. It's Saturday.
> There were barely any people shopping there. I looked down the row of
> checkouts. There were many lights lit. No lines, no waiting.
>
> Doesn't sound like it's getting the consumer volume they expected. I
> don't think it has anything to do with the storm. I think they
> under-estimated the potential customer base.

Wow! Any of the Walmarts I've ever been in were packed, with long lines,
even late at night. Perhaps the prices are better at your other stores?
Here, Walmart is one of the cheapest for many things. They are however going
big time paleo and organic. Those things are not necessarily cheap. But cold
cereal or butter? Usually the best prices around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
news
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>>> sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
>>> glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
>>> main grocery store.
>>>

>> Agreed. Another thing I noticed at WalMart. Sams Club store sized
>> items. Extra large whatever.
>>
>>> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>>> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> This *is* a less populated area. WalMart pushed their way in through
>> some zoning manipulation. I think they are not finding the local
>> shoppers they thought they'd get. They built this huge Superstore. It's
>> Saturday. There were barely any people shopping there. I looked down
>> the row of checkouts. There were many lights lit. No lines, no waiting.
>>
>> Doesn't sound like it's getting the consumer volume they expected. I
>> don't think it has anything to do with the storm. I think they
>> under-estimated the potential customer base.
>>
>> Jill

> Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn and end up in Bothel?
>
> Look in the back seat of your car ... if you see a gardener, well ...

It's Bothell. We are not less populated. It's overcrowded here. No Walmart
and no place to put one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/26/2018 6:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>>> sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
>>> glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
>>> main grocery store.
>>>

>> Agreed.Â* Another thing I noticed at WalMart.Â* Sams Club store sized
>> items. Extra large whatever.
>>
>>> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>>> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> This *is* a less populated area.Â* WalMart pushed their way in through
>> some zoning manipulation.Â* I think they are not finding the local
>> shoppers they thought they'd get.Â* They built this huge Superstore.
>> It's Saturday. There were barely any people shopping there.Â* I looked
>> down the row of checkouts.Â* There were many lights lit.Â* No lines, no
>> waiting.
>>
>> Doesn't sound like it's getting the consumer volume they expected.Â* I
>> don't think it has anything to do with the storm.Â* I think they
>> under-estimated the potential customer base.

> Wow! Any of the Walmarts I've ever been in were packed, with long lines,
> even late at night. Perhaps the prices are better at your other stores?
> Here, Walmart is one of the cheapest for many things. They are however
> going big time paleo and organic. Those things are not necessarily
> cheap. But cold cereal or butter? Usually the best prices around.

There was already another WalMart Superstore. The Beaufort area just
isn't that populated. One person who argued against building the new
one the first time around said: "When every checkout lane [at the
existing WalMart] is open and people still have to wait, then you can
build another WalMart!" Through some political maneuvering they got the
area re-zoned and built it anyway. Apparently this is not a case of "If
you build it they will come."

Jill