Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WalMart Grocery Section

I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting
I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
bother shopping for food there.

The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
"It's always like that."

The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market for
a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.

There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.

Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables?
Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
cauliflower!

I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
Food Lion for groceries.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:01:35 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting
>I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
>bother shopping for food there.
>
>The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
>poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
>and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
>roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
>"It's always like that."
>
>The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market for
>a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>
>There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>
>Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
>They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables?
>Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
>cauliflower!
>
>I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
>Food Lion for groceries.
>
>Jill

it sounds like you have a really bad Walmart. I don't shop meat
there. I will pick up the occasional vegetable if it is something I
need and don't want to go elsewhere. The dairy is always good and
supplies the same products or house products for far less (sour cream
cottage cheese, milk, buttermilk, eggs) What I really use Walmart for
is the aisles. They cater to so many ethnic groups I can find darn
near anything I want there. They also carry all the various sizes of
Hefty bags from smallest to suitcase size.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 2:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.Â* While I was
> waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section.Â* I'm now convinced
> I'll never bother shopping for food there.
>
> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.Â* Beef, pork,
> poultry, didn't matter.Â* They had a few "family packs" of chicken
> thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely
> chuck roast but not much else.Â* I commented to another customer and
> she said, "It's always like that."
>
> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market
> for a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>
> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>
> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
> They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables?
> Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
> cauliflower!
>
> I picked up my prescription and left.Â* I think I'll stick to Publix or
> Food Lion for groceries.
>
> Jill

Ours here is just the opposite , almost always well stocked with very
few bare spots . And clean , Ben (the manager) will throw a fit if
things aren't kept up to his standards .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 3:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.Â* While I was waiting
> I decided to peruse the grocery section.Â* I'm now convinced I'll never
> bother shopping for food there.
>
> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.Â* Beef, pork,
> poultry, didn't matter.Â* They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
> roast but not much else.Â* I commented to another customer and she said,
> "It's always like that."
>
> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market for
> a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>
> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>
> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them). They
> had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty.Â* Frozen vegetables? Vast
> empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
> cauliflower!
>
> I picked up my prescription and left.Â* I think I'll stick to Publix or
> Food Lion for groceries.
>
> Jill

I don't like their pharmacy here and won't use it.

As for groceries, I don't buy much there but our store is well stocked.
I did pick up a few peaches and they were better than the local ones
from the farmer's market. The prices for staples are much better than
the other stores here so I do buy those there. I don't buy meat there
aside from the occasional package of Wrights bacon type stuff, again,
cheaper than the market up the street.

Sounds like your store needs a new manager. I've been to a few and they
were satisfactory.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 3:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> While I've seen that often at my Walmart in the produce section, it
> could be partially from the storms. I'm sure Sheldon will be along
> soon with a better explanation and tell you you're full of shit.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/JhmfRPBs/Walmar...ce_Section.jpg
>
> -sw

That certainly makes sense. Major highways were closed for a long time.
Local distribution may be flooded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 1:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> ... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
> cauliflower!

As it should be! I've never even heard of it.

> I picked up my prescription and left.Â* I think I'll stick to Publix or
> Food Lion for groceries.

It's prolly cuz you have those choices ....that and the storm.

We only have Safeway and Walmart (w/ groceries). It's a 'smallish' WW,
but the manager works his butt off. Even goes out and retrieves
shopping carts. Never seen a "bare spot" (unless the product has been
discontinued).

I DO KNOW they like to keep moving stuff around in the grocery dept. I
hit WW every couple weeks and nothing is where it was a week ago. 8|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:48:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 13:21:17 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> What I really use Walmart for
>> is the aisles. They cater to so many ethnic groups I can find darn
>> near anything I want there. They also carry all the various sizes of
>> Hefty bags from smallest to suitcase size.

>In Iowa? Huh. We have a pretty diverse ethnicity spread here but
>if it doesn't say La Choy, Ortega, or La Victoria on it, then it's
>fat white people food.
>
>-sw

Nah. The other state that is confused with Iowa. (hint, north of you)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:39:23 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 9/22/2018 2:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.* While I was
>> waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section.* I'm now convinced
>> I'll never bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.* Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter.* They had a few "family packs" of chicken
>> thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely
>> chuck roast but not much else.* I commented to another customer and
>> she said, "It's always like that."
>>
>> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market
>> for a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>>
>> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>>
>> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
>> They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables?
>> Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
>> cauliflower!
>>
>> I picked up my prescription and left.* I think I'll stick to Publix or
>> Food Lion for groceries.
>>
>> Jill

>Ours here is just the opposite , almost always well stocked with very
>few bare spots . And clean , Ben (the manager) will throw a fit if
>things aren't kept up to his standards .

yes, mine is extremely clean as well and that goes for the parking lot
too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 3:21 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:01:35 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting
>> I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
>> bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
>> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
>> roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
>> "It's always like that."
>>
>> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market for
>> a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>>
>> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>>
>> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
>> They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables?
>> Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
>> cauliflower!
>>
>> I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
>> Food Lion for groceries.
>>
>> Jill

> it sounds like you have a really bad Walmart. I don't shop meat
> there. I will pick up the occasional vegetable if it is something I
> need and don't want to go elsewhere. The dairy is always good and
> supplies the same products or house products for far less (sour cream
> cottage cheese, milk, buttermilk, eggs)

Oh, I forgot to mention the dairy case! Not a lot of milk on those
shelves unless you wanted gallons. I did see an abundance of sour cream
and cottage cheese. I really looked no further. LOL

> What I really use Walmart for
> is the aisles. They cater to so many ethnic groups I can find darn
> near anything I want there. They also carry all the various sizes of
> Hefty bags from smallest to suitcase size.

Thing is, this is the "new" WalMart. The one that made its' way through
some backstreet zoning change. It only opened up a couple or three
years ago.

It may be great for all those other things (and the Rx prices are the
best nearby). But as for food, this one truly sucks.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 3:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:01:35 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting
>> I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
>> bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
>> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
>> roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
>> "It's always like that."

> While I've seen that often at my Walmart in the produce section, it
> could be partially from the storms. I'm sure Sheldon will be along
> soon with a better explanation and tell you you're full of shit.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/JhmfRPBs/Walmar...ce_Section.jpg
>
> -sw

LOL Could be due to the storms. I don't know where the WalMart
distribution center is for this "new" superstore. I'm sure it could be
used as an excuse. There weren't any employees around to ask.

Your pic is slightly worse than the produce section I saw, but they
didn't really have much in the way of fresh leafy anything. The heads
of broccoli were grey-ish green. They looked old but at least they
weren't flowering. Yet.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 4:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 3:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.Â* While I was
>> waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section.Â* I'm now convinced
>> I'll never bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.Â* Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter.Â* They had a few "family packs" of chicken
>> thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely
>> chuck roast but not much else.Â* I commented to another customer and
>> she said, "It's always like that."
>>
>> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market
>> for a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>>
>> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>>
>> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
>> They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty.Â* Frozen vegetables?
>> Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
>> cauliflower!
>>
>> I picked up my prescription and left.Â* I think I'll stick to Publix or
>> Food Lion for groceries.
>>
>> Jill

> I don't like their pharmacy here and won't use it.

I get the lowest price there. Good service.

> As for groceries, I don't buy much there but our store is well stocked.
> I did pick up a few peaches and they were better than the local ones
> from the farmer's market.Â* The prices for staples are much better than
> the other stores here so I do buy those there.Â* I don't buy meat there
> aside from the occasional package of Wrights bacon type stuff, again,
> cheaper than the market up the street.
>
> Sounds like your store needs a new manager.

I completely agree.

> I've been to a few and they
> were satisfactory.

This is the "new" store. Don't know what I can do about it. Maybe if I
was a long-term shopper who spent a lot of money there it would be one
thing. But someone who just gets her prescription filled and sometimes
buys cat supplies? I just walked through and said nope, never again.
Not much chance in getting anyone to pay attention at the
above-store-manager level to change anything. I'll just shop elsewhere.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 4:27 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 1:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> ... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced cauliflower!

> As it should be!

Was what should be?

> I've never even heard of it.

Riced cauliflower is for low-carbers who are using it to substitute for
white *rice*. They also had frozen mashed cauliflower to sub for actual
mashed potatoes. No thanks!

>> I picked up my prescription and left.Â* I think I'll stick to Publix or
>> Food Lion for groceries.

> It's prolly cuz you have those choices ....that and the storm.

Perhaps. I don't know where their distribution hub is. But the other
customer did tell me "It's always like this".

> We only have Safeway and Walmart (w/ groceries).Â* It's a 'smallish' WW,
> but the manager works his butt off.Â* Even goes out and retrieves
> shopping carts.Â* Never seen a "bare spot" (unless the product has been
> discontinued).
>
> I DO KNOW they like to keep moving stuff around in the grocery dept.Â* I
> hit WW every couple weeks and nothing is where it was a week ago.Â* 8|
>
> nb

I'm lucky to have more grocery stores. I simply won't be going back to
WW for them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 3:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.Â* While I was waiting
> I decided to peruse the grocery section.Â* I'm now convinced I'll never
> bother shopping for food there.
>
> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.Â* Beef, pork,
> poultry, didn't matter.Â* They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
> roast but not much else.Â* I commented to another customer and she said,
> "It's always like that."

I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
main grocery store.

Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 5:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 3:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.Â* While I was
>> waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section.Â* I'm now convinced
>> I'll never bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.Â* Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter.Â* They had a few "family packs" of chicken
>> thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely
>> chuck roast but not much else.Â* I commented to another customer and
>> she said, "It's always like that."

> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
> sw mentioned but no luck.Â* The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
> glorified convenience store.Â* I could never picture that being my
> main grocery store.

Agreed. Another thing I noticed at WalMart. Sams Club store sized
items. Extra large whatever.

> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>
> nancy

This *is* a less populated area. WalMart pushed their way in through
some zoning manipulation. I think they are not finding the local
shoppers they thought they'd get. They built this huge Superstore.
It's Saturday. There were barely any people shopping there. I looked
down the row of checkouts. There were many lights lit. No lines, no
waiting.

Doesn't sound like it's getting the consumer volume they expected. I
don't think it has anything to do with the storm. I think they
under-estimated the potential customer base.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 4:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 4:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/22/2018 3:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.Â* While I was
>>> waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section.Â* I'm now convinced
>>> I'll never bother shopping for food there.
>>>
>>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.Â* Beef, pork,
>>> poultry, didn't matter.Â* They had a few "family packs" of chicken
>>> thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely
>>> chuck roast but not much else.Â* I commented to another customer and
>>> she said, "It's always like that."
>>>
>>> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market
>>> for a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>>>
>>> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>>>
>>> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
>>> They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables?
>>> Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen
>>> riced cauliflower!
>>>
>>> I picked up my prescription and left.Â* I think I'll stick to Publix
>>> or Food Lion for groceries.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I don't like their pharmacy here and won't use it.
>>

> I get the lowest price there.Â* Good service.
>
>> As for groceries, I don't buy much there but our store is well
>> stocked. I did pick up a few peaches and they were better than the
>> local ones from the farmer's market. The prices for staples are much
>> better than the other stores here so I do buy those there.Â* I don't
>> buy meat there aside from the occasional package of Wrights bacon
>> type stuff, again, cheaper than the market up the street.
>>
>> Sounds like your store needs a new manager.

> I completely agree.
>
>> I've been to a few and they were satisfactory.

> This is the "new" store.Â* Don't know what I can do about it. Maybe if
> I was a long-term shopper who spent a lot of money there it would be
> one thing.Â* But someone who just gets her prescription filled and
> sometimes buys cat supplies?Â* I just walked through and said nope,
> never again. Not much chance in getting anyone to pay attention at the
> above-store-manager level to change anything. I'll just shop elsewhere.
>
> Jill

Â* Jill , you might be surprised at what may happen if the guy 2 steps
up happens to come by ... call corp hq in Bentonville and tell them ,
betcha there are changes within a week . The store number is on your
receipts .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
> Food Lion for groceries.
>
> Jill

We already knew that dear. You only buy your food at Publix. You don't
have to tell us how disgusting other stores are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 3:21 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:01:35 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting
>>> I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
>>> bother shopping for food there.
>>>
>>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
>>> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
>>> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
>>> roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
>>> "It's always like that."
>>>
>>> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market for
>>> a pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>>>
>>> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>>>
>>> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them).
>>> They had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables?
>>> Vast empty spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced
>>> cauliflower!
>>>
>>> I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
>>> Food Lion for groceries.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> it sounds like you have a really bad Walmart. I don't shop meat
>> there. I will pick up the occasional vegetable if it is something I
>> need and don't want to go elsewhere. The dairy is always good and
>> supplies the same products or house products for far less (sour cream
>> cottage cheese, milk, buttermilk, eggs)

> Oh, I forgot to mention the dairy case! Not a lot of milk on those
> shelves unless you wanted gallons. I did see an abundance of sour cream
> and cottage cheese. I really looked no further. LOL
>
>> What I really use Walmart for
>> is the aisles. They cater to so many ethnic groups I can find darn
>> near anything I want there. They also carry all the various sizes of
>> Hefty bags from smallest to suitcase size.
>>

> Thing is, this is the "new" WalMart. The one that made its' way through
> some backstreet zoning change. It only opened up a couple or three
> years ago.
>
> It may be great for all those other things (and the Rx prices are the
> best nearby). But as for food, this one truly sucks.
>
> Jill

See if there is a Whole Foods market nearby. It is very upscale, and it
might meet your needs better than a discount store like walmart or
sav-a-lot, dollar stores, or other low-life stores in very depressed areas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:01:35 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting
>> I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
>> bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
>> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
>> roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
>> "It's always like that."

> While I've seen that often at my Walmart in the produce section, it
> could be partially from the storms. I'm sure Sheldon will be along
> soon with a better explanation and tell you you're full of shit.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/JhmfRPBs/Walmar...ce_Section.jpg
>
> -sw

Popeye only buys his slop at Top Market.

I don't blame him as it is the only store within 200 miles that will
allow his sorry ass into the store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:39:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:01:35 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting
>> I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
>> bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
>> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
>> roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
>> "It's always like that."

>While I've seen that often at my Walmart in the produce section, it
>could be partially from the storms. I'm sure Sheldon will be along
>soon with a better explanation and tell you you're full of shit.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/JhmfRPBs/Walmar...ce_Section.jpg

With prices that low, how can you have poor people?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 5:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 9/22/2018 3:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was
>>> waiting I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced
>>> I'll never bother shopping for food there.
>>>
>>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
>>> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken
>>> thighs and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely
>>> chuck roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and
>>> she said, "It's always like that."

>> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>> sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
>> glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
>> main grocery store.
>>

> Agreed. Another thing I noticed at WalMart. Sams Club store sized
> items. Extra large whatever.
>
>> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>>
>> nancy

> This *is* a less populated area. WalMart pushed their way in through
> some zoning manipulation. I think they are not finding the local
> shoppers they thought they'd get. They built this huge Superstore. It's
> Saturday. There were barely any people shopping there. I looked down
> the row of checkouts. There were many lights lit. No lines, no waiting.
>
> Doesn't sound like it's getting the consumer volume they expected. I
> don't think it has anything to do with the storm. I think they
> under-estimated the potential customer base.
>
> Jill

Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn and end up in Bothel?

Look in the back seat of your car ... if you see a gardener, well ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 5:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I picked up my prescription and left.Â* I think I'll stick to Publix
>>> or Food Lion for groceries.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I don't like their pharmacy here and won't use it.
>>

> I get the lowest price there.Â* Good service.

With our plan, we pay the same co-pay no matter where it is filled.
WalMart is always a line and a PITA for something that should be simple.
Where I go they know me by name and rarely more than one person ahead
of me.

If I had to pay out of pocket and could save a lot of money, I'd put up
with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 9/22/2018 3:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:01:35 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting
> >> I decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never
> >> bother shopping for food there.
> >>
> >> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
> >> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
> >> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
> >> roast but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said,
> >> "It's always like that."

> > While I've seen that often at my Walmart in the produce section, it
> > could be partially from the storms. I'm sure Sheldon will be along
> > soon with a better explanation and tell you you're full of shit.

https://i.postimg.cc/JhmfRPBs/Walmar...ce_Section.jpg

> > -sw
> >

> LOL Could be due to the storms. I don't know where the WalMart
> distribution center is for this "new" superstore. I'm sure it could be
> used as an excuse. There weren't any employees around to ask.

Maybe they were short staffed because some were at home doing
emergency repairs/dealing with flood damage?

> Your pic is slightly worse than the produce section I saw, but they
> didn't really have much in the way of fresh leafy anything.

Storms and floods can ruin crops before they get picked.

Janet UK

The heads
> of broccoli were grey-ish green. They looked old but at least they
> weren't flowering. Yet.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 6:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 5:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>> sw mentioned but no luck.Â* The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
>> glorified convenience store.Â* I could never picture that being my
>> main grocery store.
>>

> Agreed.Â* Another thing I noticed at WalMart.Â* Sams Club store sized
> items.Â* Extra large whatever.

Hey, if you're going to wait in line, might as well stock up.

>> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.

> This *is* a less populated area.

You have Publix and other stores. I've seen towns that all there is
for many miles is the one WalMart. You will shop there.

>Â* WalMart pushed their way in through
> some zoning manipulation.Â* I think they are not finding the local
> shoppers they thought they'd get.Â* They built this huge Superstore. It's
> Saturday.Â* There were barely any people shopping there.Â* I looked down
> the row of checkouts.Â* There were many lights lit.Â* No lines, no waiting.

Probably generated some ill will building there when people know
they pulled a fast one.

> Doesn't sound like it's getting the consumer volume they expected.Â* I
> don't think it has anything to do with the storm.Â* I think they
> under-estimated the potential customer base.

It's always something with them. The one near me is a few towns away.
of course they let runoff pollute the stream on the property. You are
not allowed to disturb wetlands, but they just made a muddy mess and
let the rain wash it away. Got into trouble for that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:19:25 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 9/22/2018 3:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart.* While I was waiting
>> I decided to peruse the grocery section.* I'm now convinced I'll never
>> bother shopping for food there.
>>
>> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare.* Beef, pork,
>> poultry, didn't matter.* They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
>> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck
>> roast but not much else.* I commented to another customer and she said,
>> "It's always like that."

>I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
>glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
>main grocery store.
>
>Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>
>nancy

I have, and I bet Wayne has, a Walmart SuperCenter close to me in my
capital city.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I went to get my prescription refilled at WalMart. While I was waiting I
>decided to peruse the grocery section. I'm now convinced I'll never bother
>shopping for food there.
>
> The shelves in the meat section were practically bare. Beef, pork,
> poultry, didn't matter. They had a few "family packs" of chicken thighs
> and (IMHO tough-as-nails) sirloin strip steaks and one lonely chuck roast
> but not much else. I commented to another customer and she said, "It's
> always like that."
>
> The "bakery" section was equally spare, unless you're in the market for a
> pre-made cake, cupcakes or cookies.
>
> There wasn't much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables, either.
>
> Just for fun I wandered down the frozen food aisles (both of them). They
> had ice cream, frozen cakes & pies aplenty. Frozen vegetables? Vast empty
> spaces... although I did see a lot of bags of frozen riced cauliflower!
>
> I picked up my prescription and left. I think I'll stick to Publix or
> Food Lion for groceries.
>
> Jill

That certainly isn't the case where I am, huge meat section, and instore
bakery well stocked. Also, lots and lots of frozen veggies etc. Do you think
people might have cleaned the store out because of the hurricane?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 00:58:57 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> Storms and floods can ruin crops before they get picked.

Sometimes I wonder where we would be without this type of information
from Janet UK. We'd be walking around blindfolded.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message

> I should think Florence has disrupted stock deliveries across a
> large area.
>
> Janet UK

I'm pretty sure that is the case.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 8:09 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:19:25 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:

>> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.

> I have, and I bet Wayne has, a Walmart SuperCenter close to me in my
> capital city.

I'm sure there are other places with better stocked stores, just
saying some places it would be vital that they were better stocked
than the one I visited.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 2:21:26 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> it sounds like you have a really bad Walmart. I don't shop meat
> there. I will pick up the occasional vegetable if it is something I
> need and don't want to go elsewhere. The dairy is always good and
> supplies the same products or house products for far less (sour cream
> cottage cheese, milk, buttermilk, eggs) What I really use Walmart for
> is the aisles. They cater to so many ethnic groups I can find darn
> near anything I want there. They also carry all the various sizes of
> Hefty bags from smallest to suitcase size.

I agree. It sounds like the store manager is not doing his job. He's
supposed to be in contact with the manager of each department to see
what is needed and what is not selling. He's also supposed to oversee
cleaning crews to make sure the store is not a pigsty.

The Walmart closest to me is not quite up to par, in my opinion. But
the one I frequent 95% of the time is always well stocked and being
stocked as I shop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:39:09 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 2:21:26 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> it sounds like you have a really bad Walmart. I don't shop meat
>> there. I will pick up the occasional vegetable if it is something I
>> need and don't want to go elsewhere. The dairy is always good and
>> supplies the same products or house products for far less (sour cream
>> cottage cheese, milk, buttermilk, eggs) What I really use Walmart for
>> is the aisles. They cater to so many ethnic groups I can find darn
>> near anything I want there. They also carry all the various sizes of
>> Hefty bags from smallest to suitcase size.
>>

>I agree. It sounds like the store manager is not doing his job. He's
>supposed to be in contact with the manager of each department to see
>what is needed and what is not selling. He's also supposed to oversee
>cleaning crews to make sure the store is not a pigsty.
>
>The Walmart closest to me is not quite up to par, in my opinion. But
>the one I frequent 95% of the time is always well stocked and being
>stocked as I shop.

I bet what has happened is Jill's store became depleted by everyone
stocking up in anticipation of the hurricane. Now I bet Walmart (and
other stores) are trying to get as much goods as close to the
devastated area as possible. With hundreds of roads closed in N.
Carolina, transport of anything must be next to impossible. Jill's
store, even though in S. Carolina, is probably stocking anything they
can get. There's no telling how many suppliers of various goods have
been destroyed or under water or just plain inaccessible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 9:14:46 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I bet what has happened is Jill's store became depleted by everyone
> stocking up in anticipation of the hurricane. Now I bet Walmart (and
> other stores) are trying to get as much goods as close to the
> devastated area as possible. With hundreds of roads closed in N.
> Carolina, transport of anything must be next to impossible. Jill's
> store, even though in S. Carolina, is probably stocking anything they
> can get. There's no telling how many suppliers of various goods have
> been destroyed or under water or just plain inaccessible.

You're probably right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 11:19:29 AM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
> sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
> glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
> main grocery store.
>
> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>
> nancy

Cashierless stores are probably the wave of the future. First to be replaced will be convenience stores and then supermarkets. It could be that supermarkets will be replaced with smaller stores that are more like convenience store. My guess is that nobody is going to want to be walking around like zombies in large stores in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63n-HU2Ml0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:32:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:48:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 13:21:17 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> What I really use Walmart for
>>> is the aisles. They cater to so many ethnic groups I can find darn
>>> near anything I want there. They also carry all the various sizes of
>>> Hefty bags from smallest to suitcase size.

>>In Iowa? Huh. We have a pretty diverse ethnicity spread here but
>>if it doesn't say La Choy, Ortega, or La Victoria on it, then it's
>>fat white people food.

> Nah. The other state that is confused with Iowa. (hint, north of you)

Everything is north of Texas! Idaho? That's why I said we could
put the meat slicer in south central Colorado as that would put it
equidistance from the 3 of us (assuming you live in Idaho).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 19:21:39 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 11:19:29 AM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>> sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
>> glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
>> main grocery store.
>>
>> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>>
>> nancy

>Cashierless stores are probably the wave of the future. First to be replaced will be convenience stores and then supermarkets.

Well, I can't wait to see the first supermarket!

> It could be that supermarkets will be replaced with smaller stores that are
>more like convenience store.

So, basically, anything's possible.

>My guess is that nobody is going to want to
>be walking around like zombies in large stores in the future.

Fascinating. Thanks, Mr Aloha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:19:25 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
> sw mentioned but no luck.

There are very few things I've ever endorsed buying at Walmart.
Cloned Heinz 57 Sauce, English muffins, bloody Mary pickles, Great
Value Queso potato chips, and seeded rye bread (that was originally
Wayne's suggestion). Can't think of anything else I buy there.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 21:24:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:32:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:48:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>In Iowa? Huh. We have a pretty diverse ethnicity spread here but
>>>if it doesn't say La Choy, Ortega, or La Victoria on it, then it's
>>>fat white people food.

>> Nah. The other state that is confused with Iowa. (hint, north of you)

>Everything is north of Texas! Idaho? That's why I said we could
>put the meat slicer in south central Colorado as that would put it
>equidistance from the 3 of us (assuming you live in Idaho).
>
>-sw

yes, Idaho. It would be a pretty drive down to Colorado. There are a
couple of places that are tornado prone. Don't want to put the slicer
there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 21:32:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:19:25 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>> sw mentioned but no luck.

>There are very few things I've ever endorsed buying at Walmart.
>Cloned Heinz 57 Sauce, English muffins, bloody Mary pickles, Great
>Value Queso potato chips, and seeded rye bread (that was originally
>Wayne's suggestion). Can't think of anything else I buy there.
>
>-sw

I like their eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream and milk. I buy the big
tubs of Walmart cottage cheese and sour cream -- basically a dollar or
more less than Costco. I'd say their Italian seasoned bread is good,
but that pretty much depends upon the store bakery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 11:19:29 AM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
> sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
> glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
> main grocery store.
>
> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>
> nancy

Cashierless stores are probably the wave of the future. First to be replaced
will be convenience stores and then supermarkets. It could be that
supermarkets will be replaced with smaller stores that are more like
convenience store. My guess is that nobody is going to want to be walking
around like zombies in large stores in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63n-HU2Ml0

==

I suspect the shop was well pleased when she showed that hiding something
doesn't work

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 7:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I don't like their pharmacy here and won't use it.
>>>

>> I get the lowest price there.Â* Good service.
>>

> With our plan, we pay the same co-pay no matter where it is filled.
> WalMart is always a line and a PITA for something that should be simple.
> Â*Where I go they know me by name and rarely more than one person ahead
> of me.
>
> If I had to pay out of pocket and could save a lot of money, I'd put up
> with them.

I pay out of pocket and use the GoodRx discount card. (That really makes
a difference!)

I've never had to wait in line at the WalMart pharmacy. Heck, the last
time I got my Rx filled they called me a couple of weeks later. The
pharmacy tech said, "I see you don't have any refills left. Are you
going to need to keep taking this?" I replied, "Yes, but if you look
you'll see it's a three month supply. I won't need a refill for a while
so there's plenty of time [for me to get to the doctor]." I've never
before had a pharmacy employee call, concerned I might run out of
medication. That was a pleasant surprise.

At any rate, I won't be buying groceries there. I've said before I
really don't want to shop for food in a department store.

Jill