Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Will WalMart save US small farmer? See what Walmart is doing now

I recommend reading this article. The idea is something many of us want --
getting local produce, locally. Can/Will Walmart help? Read article.
http://tinyurl.com/yfafwsm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-26, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> I recommend reading this article. The idea is something many of us want --
> getting local produce, locally. Can/Will Walmart help? Read article.
> http://tinyurl.com/yfafwsm

Walmart compete with Whole Paycheck? Surely, you jest. EVERYONE! can
compete with WF. WFs prices are ridiculous. Better still, my local
City Market (Kroger) is even cheaper than WM.

As for WM saving the US farmer, I don't see it. Sure, WM might save a
few farms from going under at first, but WMs brutal pricing strategy,
which dictates lower prices each successive year, will do the farmer no
favors in the long run.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2010-03-26, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> I recommend reading this article. The idea is something many of us
>> want --
>> getting local produce, locally. Can/Will Walmart help? Read article.
>> http://tinyurl.com/yfafwsm

> Walmart compete with Whole Paycheck? Surely, you jest. EVERYONE! can
> compete with WF. WFs prices are ridiculous. Better still, my local
> City Market (Kroger) is even cheaper than WM.
>
> As for WM saving the US farmer, I don't see it. Sure, WM might save a
> few farms from going under at first, but WMs brutal pricing strategy,
> which dictates lower prices each successive year, will do the farmer no
> favors in the long run.
>
> nb

At least I can tell you read the article before commenting ;o} Perhaps it's
an idea that might catch on with Kroger, et. al. ? It's the way things used
to be done.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > wrote in message

> In the UK, Walmart trades as ASDA. ASDA has been promoting local
> produce and
> the "Know your farmer know your food" policy for a considerable time
> here. It's been a huge success.
>

> http://www.talkingretail.com/news/in...-for-asda.html
>
> <quote>
>
> "Local food sales in Asda have rocketed by 41% over the last year in
> its stores in England and Wales.
> Asda stores in Scotland and Northern Ireland has also shown a "marked
> increase" in sales, with 29% increase in sales.
> Asda currently has over 6,500 local lines on its shelves across the UK
> and has recently invested over £80,000 in researching its customers'
> views on local food.
> Caroline Burgess, Asda's customer planning manager for emerging markets,
> believes the success of the local range is down to its 'hub' system and
> a willingness to listen to customers.
> She said: "41% growth in the last twelve months in England and Wales is
> a phenomenal result and means that local is now as big as more
> established areas of the business, such as fish.
> "Asda's hub system has been in place since 2002 and we have nine hubs
> working in fourteen regions across the UK working directly with local
> suppliers to guide them through the Asda accreditation process and act
> as a single distribution point, saving on average three million food
> miles a year.Some of the current local products in stores outsell more
> established national brands. <end quote>
>

> Janet

That's wonderful to hear. Thanks for the info.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:27:17 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-03-26, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> > I recommend reading this article. The idea is something many of us want --
> > getting local produce, locally. Can/Will Walmart help? Read article.
> > http://tinyurl.com/yfafwsm

> Walmart compete with Whole Paycheck? Surely, you jest. EVERYONE! can
> compete with WF. WFs prices are ridiculous. Better still, my local
> City Market (Kroger) is even cheaper than WM.
>
> As for WM saving the US farmer, I don't see it. Sure, WM might save a
> few farms from going under at first, but WMs brutal pricing strategy,
> which dictates lower prices each successive year, will do the farmer no
> favors in the long run.

Ignore the price comparison between WF and Wally World. This article
is telling you there is enough organic produce out there that even a
volume marketer like Walmart can provide it to their customers. If
Walmart can do it... other grocers can too.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:47:09 -0700, sf > wrote:

> Ignore the price comparison between WF and Wally World. This article
> is telling you there is enough organic produce out there that even a
> volume marketer like Walmart can provide it to their customers. If
> Walmart can do it... other grocers can too.

Now I understand how Walmart can stock their shelves with organic
produce. One friend says "Watch out for foreign organic
products...they are often watered with polluted water and are not
subject to the same regulatory bodies. know what you're eating." So,
read the labels carefully and buy American.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:26:19 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:47:09 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> Ignore the price comparison between WF and Wally World. This article
>> is telling you there is enough organic produce out there that even a
>> volume marketer like Walmart can provide it to their customers. If
>> Walmart can do it... other grocers can too.

>Now I understand how Walmart can stock their shelves with organic
>produce. One friend says "Watch out for foreign organic
>products...they are often watered with polluted water and are not
>subject to the same regulatory bodies. know what you're eating." So,
>read the labels carefully and buy American.

There is no such thing as organic food, not so long as farm land is
bottom land and gravity exists.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-27, sf > wrote:

> Now I understand how Walmart can stock their shelves with organic
> produce. One friend says "Watch out for foreign organic
> products...they are often watered with polluted water and are not
> subject to the same regulatory bodies. know what you're eating." So,
> read the labels carefully and buy American.

US agribiz is doing all it can to corrupt the whole concept of organic
so it can market sub-standard produce at higher organic prices. Even
WF is not exempt. They plan to create a twenty-six thousand acre
organic farm. As I understand organic agriculture, I don't see how
they can do that and still meet organic stds.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:48:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-03-27, sf > wrote:
>
> > Now I understand how Walmart can stock their shelves with organic
> > produce. One friend says "Watch out for foreign organic
> > products...they are often watered with polluted water and are not
> > subject to the same regulatory bodies. know what you're eating." So,
> > read the labels carefully and buy American.

> US agribiz is doing all it can to corrupt the whole concept of organic
> so it can market sub-standard produce at higher organic prices. Even
> WF is not exempt. They plan to create a twenty-six thousand acre
> organic farm. As I understand organic agriculture, I don't see how
> they can do that and still meet organic stds.

I don't have a whole lot of trust in the government overseeing our
food supply. Like every other government arm, they have too many
behind desks and too few in the field doing the actual work.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-27, sf > wrote:

> I don't have a whole lot of trust in the government overseeing our
> food supply. Like every other government arm, they have too many
> behind desks and too few in the field doing the actual work.

So what? ....blame govt? It's agribiz that's screwing with our food,
not the govt. We want less govt interference, but blame govt for not
protecting us from greedy corps? Can't have it both ways.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:07:53 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-03-27, sf > wrote:
>
> > I don't have a whole lot of trust in the government overseeing our
> > food supply. Like every other government arm, they have too many
> > behind desks and too few in the field doing the actual work.

> So what? ....blame govt? It's agribiz that's screwing with our food,
> not the govt. We want less govt interference, but blame govt for not
> protecting us from greedy corps? Can't have it both ways.

Don't bust a cap up my butt. I am not the one crying in my beer about
obamacare. The discussion has been going on since Jefferson and
Hamilton and it's not going to end here.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:07:53 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2010-03-27, sf > wrote:
>
>> I don't have a whole lot of trust in the government overseeing our
>> food supply. Like every other government arm, they have too many
>> behind desks and too few in the field doing the actual work.

>So what? ....blame govt? It's agribiz that's screwing with our food,
>not the govt. We want less govt interference, but blame govt for not
>protecting us from greedy corps? Can't have it both ways.
>
>nb

But she's right about those sitting behind the desks not going out
into the field, not that if they did that would correct much, may even
make things worse... food inspectors are no different from building
code inspectors, it's like sending the fox to guard the hen house...
in these areas payola runs rampant. There's really not much of an
answer other than for consumers to exercise a little common sense.
follow basic food handling safety regimens and boycott the
prime offenders, like preground mystery meat and never ordering tuna
salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:27:17 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2010-03-26, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> I recommend reading this article. The idea is something many of us want --
>> getting local produce, locally. Can/Will Walmart help? Read article.
>> http://tinyurl.com/yfafwsm

> Walmart compete with Whole Paycheck? Surely, you jest. EVERYONE! can
> compete with WF. WFs prices are ridiculous. Better still, my local
> City Market (Kroger) is even cheaper than WM.
>
> As for WM saving the US farmer, I don't see it. Sure, WM might save a
> few farms from going under at first, but WMs brutal pricing strategy,
> which dictates lower prices each successive year, will do the farmer no
> favors in the long run.
>
> nb

i've heard nothing about whole foods putting the squeeze on suppliers the
way wal-mart does.

your pal,
blake

Fie on you Walmart! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 698 29-05-2016 11:14 PM
GO WALMART! Brooklyn1 General Cooking 4 21-06-2011 09:08 PM
GE Small Appliances at Walmart Sheryl General Cooking 4 30-06-2010 06:05 PM
Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: WalMart Stewart Goes to the WalMart Vineyard Ubiquitous General Cooking 7 26-05-2006 02:05 AM