p-nut

Default walmart meat section

I've been reading alot lately in here about people buying meat from walmart.

I've got to say that I'm in the midwest/st louis area and walmart is the
WORST place to ever buy meat.
All of it sucks, doesn't matter what it is. Can't come close to our other
smaller grocery stores with excellent butcher sections.

Don't everyone have local shops to buy meat at because walmart seems to be
the worst place in the world to buy something that you take pride in
spending hours into getting the best you ever smoked/grilled/bbq'd.

Just wondering what everyones take is on this as I have friends around the
US that think the same thing about wallyworlds meat sections.

Pierre

p-nut wrote:
> I've been reading alot lately in here about people buying meat from walmart.
>
> I've got to say that I'm in the midwest/st louis area and walmart is the
> WORST place to ever buy meat.
> All of it sucks, doesn't matter what it is. Can't come close to our other
> smaller grocery stores with excellent butcher sections.
>
> Don't everyone have local shops to buy meat at because walmart seems to be
> the worst place in the world to buy something that you take pride in
> spending hours into getting the best you ever smoked/grilled/bbq'd.
>
> Just wondering what everyones take is on this as I have friends around the
> US that think the same thing about wallyworlds meat sections.

You're right much of their stuff is that pre-brined crap. However; Wal
Mart is the only place to buy a whole brisket in these parts. Good
thing too, brisket quality is good; priced right, and they're open
24/7.

As far as most of their pork products, you can shop elsewhere.

Pierre

Edwin Pawlowski

"p-nut" > wrote in message
> I've got to say that I'm in the midwest/st louis area and walmart is the
> WORST place to ever buy meat.
> All of it sucks, doesn't matter what it is. Can't come close to our other
> smaller grocery stores with excellent butcher sections.
>
> Don't everyone have local shops to buy meat at because walmart seems to be
> the worst place in the world to buy something that you take pride in
> spending hours into getting the best you ever smoked/grilled/bbq'd.

No, there are no local shops around here any more. The only meat I buy at
Wal Mart is packer cut brisket. I can pay $1.19 at WM, or go to another
place and buy the same thing for $1.89 Saving about $`5 on two briskets is
OK by me.

The rest of my meat I buy at BJ's warehouse as they carry good quality at
reasonable prices. Many of the other stores carry the brined meats and I
refuse to buy them.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Larry

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:12:55 GMT, "p-nut" > wrote:

>I've been reading alot lately in here about people buying meat from walmart.
>
>I've got to say that I'm in the midwest/st louis area and walmart is the
>WORST place to ever buy meat.
>All of it sucks, doesn't matter what it is. Can't come close to our other
>smaller grocery stores with excellent butcher sections.
>
>Don't everyone have local shops to buy meat at because walmart seems to be
>the worst place in the world to buy something that you take pride in
>spending hours into getting the best you ever smoked/grilled/bbq'd.
>
>Just wondering what everyones take is on this as I have friends around the
>US that think the same thing about wallyworlds meat sections.

I am across the state in the Kansas City area. I don't know about
walmart meat but the majority of the grocery stores around here do not
even have butcher sections. The meat comes from the distributor cut
and wrapped.

Manic

Larry wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:12:55 GMT, "p-nut" > wrote:
>

>>I've been reading alot lately in here about people buying meat from walmart.
>>
>>I've got to say that I'm in the midwest/st louis area and walmart is the
>>WORST place to ever buy meat.
>>All of it sucks, doesn't matter what it is. Can't come close to our other
>>smaller grocery stores with excellent butcher sections.
>>
>>Don't everyone have local shops to buy meat at because walmart seems to be
>>the worst place in the world to buy something that you take pride in
>>spending hours into getting the best you ever smoked/grilled/bbq'd.
>>
>>Just wondering what everyones take is on this as I have friends around the
>>US that think the same thing about wallyworlds meat sections.
>>

> I am across the state in the Kansas City area. I don't know about
> walmart meat but the majority of the grocery stores around here do not
> even have butcher sections. The meat comes from the distributor cut
> and wrapped.

I really feel bad for the american contingent, seems that wal-mart has
shut down every butcher within a 50 mile radius of their stores.

K. Reece

"Manic" > wrote in message
> I really feel bad for the american contingent, seems that wal-mart has
> shut down every butcher within a 50 mile radius of their stores.

I live in a pretty rural area and I know there are at least 6 real butchers
in this area. Most of them only sell frozen meat across the counter though.

Kathy

zxcvbob

p-nut wrote:
> I've been reading alot lately in here about people buying meat from walmart.
>
> I've got to say that I'm in the midwest/st louis area and walmart is the
> WORST place to ever buy meat.
> All of it sucks, doesn't matter what it is. Can't come close to our other
> smaller grocery stores with excellent butcher sections.
>
> Don't everyone have local shops to buy meat at because walmart seems to be
> the worst place in the world to buy something that you take pride in
> spending hours into getting the best you ever smoked/grilled/bbq'd.
>
> Just wondering what everyones take is on this as I have friends around the
> US that think the same thing about wallyworlds meat sections.

The "packer" briskets are OK, but they don't always have them. I also
buy the 58¢ per pound frozen turkeys. But that's it. Everything but
the briskets are pumped and/or tumbled with water and sodium phosphate
to increase the weight. The problem is, it's getting difficult to find
any beef or pork anywhere that is not prepackaged for Wal-Mart

Best regards,
Bob
Edwin Pawlowski

"Manic" > wrote in message

> I really feel bad for the american contingent, seems that wal-mart has
> shut down every butcher within a 50 mile radius of their stores.

The butchers were gone for years before I ever heard of Wal Mart. The meat
packers started shipping the cryovac packed primal cuts, the supermarkets
cut jobs and real butchers just lost out to price conscience buyers.
Started back in the 1970's from what I recall.

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Manic" > wrote in message
> >>

> > I really feel bad for the american contingent, seems that wal-mart has
> > shut down every butcher within a 50 mile radius of their stores.

> The butchers were gone for years before I ever heard of Wal Mart. The
> meat packers started shipping the cryovac packed primal cuts, the
> supermarkets cut jobs and real butchers just lost out to price conscience
> buyers. Started back in the 1970's from what I recall.

Yup. Unless you have a Cuban, Argentine, Thai or Chinese meat market
nearby, you're pretty much stuck with cryovac. What about Costco?

--
Nick. To support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families go to: http://saluteheroes.org/

Piedmont

"p-nut" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've been reading alot lately in here about people buying meat from

walmart.

> I've got to say that I'm in the midwest/st louis area and walmart is the
> WORST place to ever buy meat.
> All of it sucks, doesn't matter what it is. Can't come close to our other
> smaller grocery stores with excellent butcher sections.
>
> Don't everyone have local shops to buy meat at because walmart seems to be
> the worst place in the world to buy something that you take pride in
> spending hours into getting the best you ever smoked/grilled/bbq'd.
>
> Just wondering what everyones take is on this as I have friends around the
> US that think the same thing about wallyworlds meat sections.

You are correct, Walmart sucks and many folks do not have access to good
quality butchers in their area.

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
The Practical Bar B Q'r at,

painless

In ,
> said:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> "Manic" > wrote in message
>>>>
>>> I really feel bad for the american contingent, seems that wal-mart
>>> has shut down every butcher within a 50 mile radius of their stores.

>> The butchers were gone for years before I ever heard of Wal Mart.
>> The meat packers started shipping the cryovac packed primal cuts, the
>> supermarkets cut jobs and real butchers just lost out to price
>> conscience buyers. Started back in the 1970's from what I recall.

> Yup. Unless you have a Cuban, Argentine, Thai or Chinese meat market
> nearby, you're pretty much stuck with cryovac. What about Costco?

Let me tell you about Wallyworld and butchers:

Back in the early 90s, when Walmart was just starting out in the food
business, their butchers tried to unionize. Walmart's response was to
immediately discontinue all meat cutting operations in all stores, and
pressure the meat packers into providing retail cuts for the stores. (They
then laid off all of their butcher/meat cutter staff.) At the time, most
thought that that move was gutsy, and I heard more than one person opine
that detroit should have done that years ago. Now look where we are.
(Remember kiddies, the unions were formed for a reason.) BTW: The
remainder of employees at Walmart are vested in their retirement, and hold
Walmart stock. This means that as stockholders, they are prohibited from
joining or forming a union. (Also Southwest Airlines, and probably more
companies)
This gives them a pricing advantage over other companies, but at the expense
of variety, and quality. (I mean, they KNOW that they have no competition.)
Sure, some people like me will pay extra at a small butcher shop, but let's
face it, I am NOT hurting Wallyworld in the least by denying them by
business.

(I actually just take a steer over to our local kill plant about twice a
year, where for 22 cents a lb, they kill, age and pack it for me to order.
At about $250.00 a shot, I get about 500lbs of hormone free, grass fed
beef.)

Person

> You are correct, Walmart sucks and many folks do not have access to good
> quality butchers in their area.

When we want some really good cuts of meat, World Market, Whole Foods or
Central Market stores offer some top quality products. Everything from
Choice to Prime even Kobe. Found the choice cuts are not that much more
expensive then Wal-Mart offerings (maybe 10 15% higher) but of course the
Prime is quite a bit higher, and the Kobe... well you might need a second
mortgage....

LT

Edwin Pawlowski

"painless" > wrote in message

> At the time, most
> thought that that move was gutsy, and I heard more than one person opine
> that detroit should have done that years ago. Now look where we are.
> (Remember kiddies, the unions were formed for a reason.) .

The pendulum swings both ways. Unions were a great thing for the working
man many years ago. Then they became greedy, powerful, and didn't give a
rat's ass for the people they represented, only for the union bosses to get
rich from various welfare funds.

Heavy_Smoker

Edwin Pawlowski said

> "painless" > wrote in message
>>
>> At the time, most
>> thought that that move was gutsy, and I heard more than one
>> person opine that detroit should have done that years ago. Now
>> look where we are. (Remember kiddies, the unions were formed for
>> a reason.) .

> The pendulum swings both ways. Unions were a great thing for
> the working
> man many years ago. Then they became greedy, powerful, and didn't
> give a rat's ass for the people they represented, only for the
> union bosses to get rich from various welfare funds.

Nor did they understand, if they are not careful, they can price
themselves and their companies out of a market.

Where I work at, a computer upgrade involves 5 people. A millwright
to carry the boxes, an electrician to plug it in, a union supervisor
to supervise, and an IT person to work his magic. The fifth just
comes along for the fun of it. The $500 PC costs $500 more to
install.

This all comes out of the bottom line.

--
Better living through smoking.
simply me

Walmart? Meat dept? hahaha ROFLMFAO
Thanks i needed a good laugh.

maureeng7eh

hmmmm......remember that old saying....."you get what you pay
for"....walmart sells everything cheaper....but not better quality

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news

> "Manic" > wrote in message
> >>

> > I really feel bad for the american contingent, seems that wal-mart has
> > shut down every butcher within a 50 mile radius of their stores.

> The butchers were gone for years before I ever heard of Wal Mart. The

meat
> packers started shipping the cryovac packed primal cuts, the supermarkets
> cut jobs and real butchers just lost out to price conscience buyers.
> Started back in the 1970's from what I recall.

Just out of curoisity, has anyone checked out their local IGA? Here in
Central GA, it is the best place to get meat. While most of the items
come in cryovaced, it is not pumped, tumbled, or added to. They have
actual, experienced meat cutters, and are happy to special order. The
one I used to work at would usually get in at least 20 whole hogs every
4th of July.

Just a suggestion.

Jon

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Just out of curoisity, has anyone checked out their local IGA? Here in
> Central GA, it is the best place to get meat.

Here it varies. IGA stands for "Independent" Some are very good, some are
very bad. Being independent, they get to choose how they want to operate.
If you have a good one, patronize him so he can stay in business.

Piedmont

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Just out of curoisity, has anyone checked out their local IGA? Here in
> Central GA, it is the best place to get meat. While most of the items
> come in cryovaced, it is not pumped, tumbled, or added to. They have
> actual, experienced meat cutters, and are happy to special order. The
> one I used to work at would usually get in at least 20 whole hogs every
> 4th of July.
>
> Just a suggestion.
>
> Jon

I've gotten spectacular looking meat at IGA, but they are all franchises and
what one does or has could be different from other IGA's around the nation.