Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default WalMart Grocery Section

On 9/26/2018 6:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I've been into the local WalMart twice, looking for a particular thing
>>> sw mentioned but no luck. The grocery section mostly reminded me of a
>>> glorified convenience store. I could never picture that being my
>>> main grocery store.
>>>

>> Agreed.Â* Another thing I noticed at WalMart.Â* Sams Club store sized
>> items. Extra large whatever.
>>
>>> Of course, in less populated areas, WalMart is the only game in town.
>>> Likely they have a larger and more comprehensive food section.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> This *is* a less populated area.Â* WalMart pushed their way in through
>> some zoning manipulation.Â* I think they are not finding the local
>> shoppers they thought they'd get.Â* They built this huge Superstore.
>> It's Saturday. There were barely any people shopping there.Â* I looked
>> down the row of checkouts.Â* There were many lights lit.Â* No lines, no
>> waiting.
>>
>> Doesn't sound like it's getting the consumer volume they expected.Â* I
>> don't think it has anything to do with the storm.Â* I think they
>> under-estimated the potential customer base.

> Wow! Any of the Walmarts I've ever been in were packed, with long lines,
> even late at night. Perhaps the prices are better at your other stores?
> Here, Walmart is one of the cheapest for many things. They are however
> going big time paleo and organic. Those things are not necessarily
> cheap. But cold cereal or butter? Usually the best prices around.

There was already another WalMart Superstore. The Beaufort area just
isn't that populated. One person who argued against building the new
one the first time around said: "When every checkout lane [at the
existing WalMart] is open and people still have to wait, then you can
build another WalMart!" Through some political maneuvering they got the
area re-zoned and built it anyway. Apparently this is not a case of "If
you build it they will come."

Jill