Old 07-12-2016, 12:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Liquid Sterno

On Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 9:58:15 AM UTC-5, Win Segal wrote:
Now that fondue cooking seems to be coming back, I'm giving a gift of a
fondue set with a fondue cookbook. Also want to give some sterno. Here's
the question. First, do all fondue pots use the same size canned sterno?
Then, liquid sterno is being sold at the local bed and bath. Instructions
say that you just pour the liquid where the sterno goes. This sounds much
easier. Does anyone know anything about this liquid sterno? Thanks.

Win

Yes, I used liquid stereo for years with my stainless steel set. it is wonderful if you can find it!!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

Sometimes, informally, referred to as "canned heat".
http://www.sternopro.com/

One of the best songs ever, imo:
"On the Road Again" by "Canned Heat"

Remember that? Listen again and be sure to turn up the volume. :-D

Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 12:00:17 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 12/6/2016 7:31 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 9:58:15 AM UTC-5, Win Segal wrote:
Now that fondue cooking seems to be coming back, I'm giving a gift of a
fondue set with a fondue cookbook. Also want to give some sterno.
Here's
the question. First, do all fondue pots use the same size canned sterno?
Then, liquid sterno is being sold at the local bed and bath.
Instructions
say that you just pour the liquid where the sterno goes. This sounds
much
easier. Does anyone know anything about this liquid sterno? Thanks.

Win

Yes, I used liquid stereo for years with my stainless steel set. it is
wonderful if you can find it!!

Amazon

===============

What is 'sterno'? I googled but all I get is a muscle

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Sterno, as you now know, is gelled alcohol. What you probably don't know is that folks used to squeeze the liquid out of the gel and drink it for the alcohol. Sterno junkies. Beats the hell out of me why they did this. Why the heck would they buy Sterno instead of wine? How cheap was Sterno? The stuff was toxic as it contained methanol. Evidently, to junkies, what don't kill you can make you high and therefore has some value.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2016 7:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

================

Ewwwwwwwwww. I have heard that junkies take all kind of dangerous stuff to
get that 'high'. Madness.

Thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 08-12-2016, 09:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2016 7:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

My niece's ex was addicted to breathing aerosols. He wouldn't show up and they'd have to go looking for him in store parking lots. He'd be in his car with the windows up and he'd be passed out. They found him dead one day. He was lucky to have survived for so long but that time he went over to the other side and there was nothing anybody could have done about it.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2016 7:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

==========================

What a waste of a life(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 08-12-2016, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2016 8:04 AM, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message

My niece's ex was addicted to breathing aerosols. He wouldn't show up
and they'd have to go looking for him in store parking lots. He'd be in
his car with the windows up and he'd be passed out. They found him dead
one day. He was lucky to have survived for so long but that time he went
over to the other side and there was nothing anybody could have done
about it.

==========================

What a waste of a life(

Too true. I went to high school with a boy who died from this. He'd
spray cooking spray (PAM) in a plastic bag and breathe the fumes. It
didn't take long to kill him. I still remember his name: Herbert Hancock.

Jill

Old 08-12-2016, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

============

(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Old 08-12-2016, 05:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2016 7:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

You can get Sterno in a dry county.

In 1999 I moved to Temperance, Michigan, right after the expiration of
a 100-year-old law prohibiting the sale of alcohol for drinking purposes.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 08-12-2016, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2016 12:44 PM, Ophelia wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message news On 12/8/2016 8:04 AM, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message

My niece's ex was addicted to breathing aerosols. He wouldn't show up
and they'd have to go looking for him in store parking lots. He'd be in
his car with the windows up and he'd be passed out. They found him dead
one day. He was lucky to have survived for so long but that time he went
over to the other side and there was nothing anybody could have done
about it.

==========================

What a waste of a life(

Too true. I went to high school with a boy who died from this. He'd
spray cooking spray (PAM) in a plastic bag and breathe the fumes. It
didn't take long to kill him. I still remember his name: Herbert Hancock.

Jill

(

It was very sad and very stupid. Anything to "get high". Cooking
spray, really? The poor guy wasted his life for no reason.

Jill

Sterno's BBQ Blog piedmont Barbecue 0 15-01-2010 01:54 PM
HUGE AMOUNT OF STERNO TYPE FUEL FOR SALE CHEAP [email protected] General Cooking 0 06-05-2008 06:51 PM
how to use sterno? cycjec General Cooking 10 25-04-2008 11:56 PM
just the liquid [email protected] Sourdough 18 17-04-2008 10:30 AM
Mussels Liquid mary General Cooking 9 07-01-2005 05:36 PM