Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_17_] dsi1[_17_] is offline

Default Liquid Sterno

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 12:00:17 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/6/2016 7:31 PM, wrote:
> > On Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 9:58:15 AM UTC-5, Win Segal wrote:
> >> Now that fondue cooking seems to be coming back, I'm giving a gift of a
> >> fondue set with a fondue cookbook. Also want to give some sterno.
> >> Here's
> >> the question. First, do all fondue pots use the same size canned sterno?
> >> Then, liquid sterno is being sold at the local bed and bath.
> >> Instructions
> >> say that you just pour the liquid where the sterno goes. This sounds
> >> much
> >> easier. Does anyone know anything about this liquid sterno? Thanks.
> >>
> >> Win

> > Yes, I used liquid stereo for years with my stainless steel set. it is
> > wonderful if you can find it!!
> >

> Amazon

> What is 'sterno'? I googled but all I get is a muscle
>

> --

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Sterno, as you now know, is gelled alcohol. What you probably don't know is that folks used to squeeze the liquid out of the gel and drink it for the alcohol. Sterno junkies. Beats the hell out of me why they did this. Why the heck would they buy Sterno instead of wine? How cheap was Sterno? The stuff was toxic as it contained methanol. Evidently, to junkies, what don't kill you can make you high and therefore has some value.