Old 14-08-2016, 10:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default No tipping policies

No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight and disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fects-portland

http://tiny.cc/ng4ydy

Note the following point in the article:
"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

Old 14-08-2016, 10:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 2:22 PM, graham wrote:
No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight and disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fects-portland

http://tiny.cc/ng4ydy

Note the following point in the article:
"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

Did it point out why people pay the tax on their meals?
Old 14-08-2016, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 3:24 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 8/14/2016 2:22 PM, graham wrote:
No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight and disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fects-portland

http://tiny.cc/ng4ydy

Note the following point in the article:
"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

Did it point out why people pay the tax on their meals?

Why is that relevant?
Graham
Old 14-08-2016, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 3:22:24 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight and disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fects-portland

http://tiny.cc/ng4ydy

Note the following point in the article:
"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

So with this new policy if adopted country-wide results in poor service or crappy food we can just get to pay a built-in tip, like it or not. Could mean fewer customers or certainly more discrimination as to where we dine.
In theory things should be better for the workers but I'm fairly suspicious that this is just a money grab.I guess I've been out in the world too long and have become more suspicious of business-men and their motives.
====

Old 14-08-2016, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 15:22:21 -0600, graham wrote:

"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

That would be my preference. I hate the idea of tipping. Just pay the
staff better wages from the outset and increase your prices
accordingly.

Old 14-08-2016, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 3:56 PM, Roy wrote:
[...]

So you are happy with a waitress in a short skirt and big tits earning a
lot more that the cooks who actually prepare the food?
Old 14-08-2016, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-14 5:22 PM, graham wrote:
No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight and disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fects-portland

http://tiny.cc/ng4ydy

Note the following point in the article:
"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

It works in lots of places in Europe. You get good professional service
without waiters fawning all over you trying to ingratiate you into a
larger tip. What you see on the bill is a price higher than you would
see here, but that is what you pay. You don't see a bunch of taxes added
to the bill and aren't expected to leave 15% or more on top.
I find it curious that the guy in the article said he would have to
raise his prices by 40% to get the money he needs to pay the higher
wages when tipping less than half of that was supposed to have been
working.

Old 14-08-2016, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 2:32 PM, graham wrote:
On 8/14/2016 3:24 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 8/14/2016 2:22 PM, graham wrote:
No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight and disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fects-portland

http://tiny.cc/ng4ydy

Note the following point in the article:
"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

Did it point out why people pay the tax on their meals?

Why is that relevant?
Graham

why is relevancy relevant?
Old 14-08-2016, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 2:56 PM, Roy wrote:
[...]

It works in other countries and has for decades.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 15:14:00 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 8/14/2016 2:56 PM, Roy wrote:
So with this new policy if adopted country-wide results in poor service or crappy food we can just get to pay a built-in tip, like it or not. Could mean fewer customers or certainly more discrimination as to where we dine.
In theory things should be better for the workers but I'm fairly suspicious that this is just a money grab.I guess I've been out in the world too long and have become more suspicious of business-men and their motives.

It works in other countries and has for decades.

Yep. No problems at all.

Old 14-08-2016, 11:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 5:56 PM, Roy wrote:

In theory things should be better for the workers but I'm fairly suspicious that this is just a money grab.I guess I've been out in the world too long and have become more suspicious of business-men and their motives.
====

In reality it can hurt workers. I know a server that consistently makes
$200 to $300 a 6 hour shift. Do you think she'll be happy with a no
tipping policy and $12 an hour?

It may be good in some places, but not everyone wants it.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 6:00 PM, graham wrote:

So you are happy with a waitress in a short skirt and big tits earning a
lot more that the cooks who actually prepare the food?

Are you suggesting the wait staff takes a cut so the cooks can make more?

Are you happy making more than the guy at the car wash?
Old 14-08-2016, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 5:59 PM, Je�us wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 15:22:21 -0600, graham wrote:

"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

That would be my preference. I hate the idea of tipping. Just pay the
staff better wages from the outset and increase your prices
accordingly.

What about the staff that gets a pay cut? What is a better wage? It
may help some, but not everyone.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 3:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/14/2016 5:59 PM, Je�us wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 15:22:21 -0600, graham wrote:

"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

That would be my preference. I hate the idea of tipping. Just pay the
staff better wages from the outset and increase your prices
accordingly.

What about the staff that gets a pay cut? What is a better wage? It
may help some, but not everyone.

Then they can go and get other jobs that will pay them what they are worth.
Old 15-08-2016, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2016 5:59 PM, Je?us wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 15:22:21 -0600, graham wrote:

"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

That would be my preference. I hate the idea of tipping. Just pay the
staff better wages from the outset and increase your prices
accordingly.

What about the staff that gets a pay cut? What is a better wage? It
may help some, but not everyone.

Then they can go and get other jobs that will pay them what they are worth.

Wait staff get paid perfectly well in Australia, without tipping. I'd
hate to see that change with a move to reduced wages and tipping to
compensate.

I used to clean, cook, order stock, serve customers and pretty much do
everything else apart from the book work at one restaurant back in
1993. I got a perfectly adequate wage and never once thought about
tips.

Privacy policies protect Customers Personal information Privacy policies protect personal information General Cooking 0 23-07-2016 07:35 PM
Tipping at the bar asdf Beer 19 26-11-2006 06:34 AM
Airline food policies Grizzman General Cooking 14 03-06-2006 08:00 PM
Tipping - was Tipping on Wine Dick R. Wine 21 26-08-2004 03:05 AM