Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Default Tipping at the bar

how much should i tip at the bar/pub etc. Is it the standard 15%? or should
it be more.What should i take in consideration? the kind of food/drinks
served, how
much time i spend there.

thank you

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

asdf a écrit :

>how much should i tip at the bar/pub etc. Is it the standard 15%? or should
>it be more.What should i take in consideration? the kind of food/drinks
>served, how much time i spend there.

Depends mostly of the country you're in... civilised countries tend to
pay their waiters well enough for them not to have to rely on tips for a
living. That way, you can enjoy being served by truly rude waiters,
which is always a lot of fun. >

--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

Dis donc, tu te rends compte ? Il y a des pays ousque l'on oblige les intellectuels à travailler...
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:12:27 +0100, The Submarine Captain
> wrote:

>Depends mostly of the country you're in... civilised countries tend to
>pay their waiters well enough for them not to have to rely on tips for a
>living.

But efficient countries know that putting part of the payment in the
hands of the person who experiences the service is the best way to
motivate people to serve well.

Dav Vandenbroucke
davanden at cox dot net
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

I thought Tipping was a small city in China...

Scott

Dav Vandenbroucke wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:12:27 +0100, The Submarine Captain
> > wrote:
>

>>Depends mostly of the country you're in... civilised countries tend to
>>pay their waiters well enough for them not to have to rely on tips for a
>>living.

> But efficient countries know that putting part of the payment in the
> hands of the person who experiences the service is the best way to
> motivate people to serve well.
>
> Dav Vandenbroucke
> davanden at cox dot net

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

>>Depends mostly of the country you're in... civilised countries tend to
>>pay their waiters well enough for them not to have to rely on tips for a
>>living.

>But efficient countries know that putting part of the payment in the
>hands of the person who experiences the service is the best way to
>motivate people to serve well.

But in my experience, most tippees must share their tips with their
colleagues, so above-average service is not really rewarded.

I tip 15-20% but intensely dislike the practice. I'd rather live in a
civilized country.

vince norris

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:13:03 -0500, vincent p. norris >
wrote:

>But in my experience, most tippees must share their tips with their
>colleagues, so above-average service is not really rewarded.

But they still make more if service is better. I don't see how this
changes anything. It just gives more people a stake in good service.

>I tip 15-20% but intensely dislike the practice. I'd rather live in a
>civilized country.

I don't see what civilization has to do with it. The staff wouldn't
get paid any better. It would just come from one source. The
customer wouldn't pay any more or less, on average. It would just be
in one bill, with no opportunity to vote with your wallet.

Dav Vandenbroucke
davanden at cox dot net
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

>I don't see what civilization has to do with it.

I was referring to The Submarine Captain's remark, above.

Tipping is symbolic of a superior-inferior (master-servant)
relationship. Note that you would not tip your neurosurgeon, or your
architect, or your Senator, or the conductor of the New York
Philharmonicafter a concert. If you tried, those folks would be
insulted, because you've implied they are socially your inferior.

vince norris
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

vincent p. norris wrote:

> Tipping is symbolic of a superior-inferior (master-servant)
> relationship. Note that you would not tip your neurosurgeon, or your
> architect, or your Senator, or the conductor of the New York
> Philharmonicafter a concert. If you tried, those folks would be
> insulted, because you've implied they are socially your inferior.

And yet, if you polled waitrons and barkeeps, I'd bet
you a pint of BEER (ob. beer) that they would
overwhelmingly prefer the current system of
sub-minimum wage + percentage-of-tab tips to the
only alternative: minimum wage + nominal tips.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

>And yet, if you polled waitrons and barkeeps, I'd bet
>you a pint of BEER (ob. beer) that they would
>overwhelmingly prefer the current system of
>sub-minimum wage + percentage-of-tab tips to the
>only alternative: minimum wage + nominal tips.

Neither The Submarine Captain nor I was presenting that choice.

If we're making up fictitious choices, how about offering the wait
staff, collectively, 50% of the profits?

vince norris
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

>They don't pool all their tips between waitrons.

You're mistaken. I know several places where they do.

vince norris

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:59:44 -0500, vincent p. norris >
wrote:

>Tipping is symbolic of a superior-inferior (master-servant)
>relationship.

Waiters, bartenders, etc., _are_ servants. The customers are the
people with the money, and their jobs are to serve them. But it's a
strictly commercial relationship. When the bartender clocks out and
goes to a restaurant for dinner, then the shoe is on the other foot. I
don't see why that's bad.

Dav Vandenbroucke
davanden at cox dot net
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

vincent p. norris wrote:

> >And yet, if you polled waitrons and barkeeps, I'd bet
> >you a pint of BEER (ob. beer) that they would
> >overwhelmingly prefer the current system of
> >sub-minimum wage + percentage-of-tab tips to the
> >only alternative: minimum wage + nominal tips.

> Neither The Submarine Captain nor I was presenting that choice.

Then neither you nor Laurent were presenting
realistic choices.

> If we're making up fictitious choices,

Fictitious? What country do you live in?
I know Laurent is in Switzerland, and I
won't condescend to tell the Swiss how to
conduct their business, but I thought
"psu" was in one of the original 13 colonies on
this side of the pond. Until you pull off your
next revolution, the only alternative would be
an unsatisfactory wage and paltry tips.
My (realistic) point is that good waitrons and
bartenders make far more under the current
system than they possibly could under any
(realistic) set-wage system without
(or with drastically lower) tips.

> how about offering the wait
> staff, collectively, 50% of the profits?

If the wait staff, collectively, buys into
ownership of the bar then the wait staff,
collectively, can distribute the profits
however they want. I'm all for it.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

>On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:17:04 -0500, vincent p. norris wrote:
>
>>>They don't pool all their tips between waitrons.

>> You're mistaken. I know several places where they do.

>Sorry - I was thinking restaurants mostly.

I meant restaurants, ones I patronize here in central PA.

>Some bars - those with more than one tender behind the counter, yes.

I don't know about bars. I'm not a teetotaler, but I rarely go to
bars. Haven't been in one in years.

vince norris
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:37:25 -0500, vincent p. norris wrote:

>> I meant restaurants, ones I patronize here in central PA.

> Well, then - you're mistaken.

You know, it just might be possible that in a country as large and diverse
as the US that the practices vary by region and restaurant. Just because you
have individual experiences to cite to the contrary does not mean Vincent is
wrong; nor do his individual examples prove you're wrong.

FWIW, I've experienced both.

-Steve

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:37:25 -0500, vincent p. norris wrote:

>>> I meant restaurants, ones I patronize here in central PA.

>> Well, then - you're mistaken.

>You know, it just might be possible that in a country as large and diverse
>as the US that the practices vary by region and restaurant. Just because you
>have individual experiences to cite to the contrary does not mean Vincent is
>wrong; nor do his individual examples prove you're wrong.
>
>FWIW, I've experienced both.
>
>-Steve

Thanks you, Steve. I thought I'd have to give Steve Wertz a lecture
on the elementary principles of inductive logic, but you took care of
the matter for me.

vince norris

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> So where were you when I accused him of being wrong the first
> time?

The argument hadn't reached the level of absurd nonsense yet.

-Steve

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
zek zek is offline

asdf wrote:
> how much should i tip at the bar/pub etc. Is it the standard 15%? or should
> it be more.What should i take in consideration? the kind of food/drinks
> served, how
> much time i spend there.

You probably will not go wrong. I usually try to give at least 1 dollar
per hour regardless. Of course when the girl dances for you, at least a
dollar in the garter.

gs

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

At the bars I go to, the tip is mostly used to ensure that the
waitress/waiter(***) continues to return to your table. Every time the
server bring my wife and I a round I toss an extra buck her way. If it is 2
or three couples it goes up accordingly. I never have to wait between
rounds.As for the percentage this equals about 15.3 or 1 dollar for a $6.50
order. By the way, this works if you place you order yourself with the busy
bartender at the also.
"asdf" > wrote in message ...
> how much should i tip at the bar/pub etc. Is it the standard 15%? or

should
> it be more.What should i take in consideration? the kind of food/drinks
> served, how
> much time i spend there.
>
> thank you

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

"Scott" > wrote in message
> At the bars I go to, the tip is mostly used to ensure that the
> waitress/waiter(***) continues to return to your table.

What the ****?

There aren't straight male waiters? *** waiters need a tip in order to
ensure they come back to your table?

What the hell does the waiter's sexual orientation have to do with anything?

Or is it simply International Display Your Homophobia in Odd and Suprising
Places Day, and I just missed it?

-Steve

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer

Sorry for the misunderstanding I was just implying that I prefer a female
wait person. The term '***' is just a slang word here that has been used for
years for something you find unfavorable. Example.. "thats ***" .I guess I
may have been insensitive. Again , sorry.
"Steve Jackson" > wrote in message
> "Scott" > wrote in message
> > At the bars I go to, the tip is mostly used to ensure that the
> > waitress/waiter(***) continues to return to your table.

> What the ****?
>
> There aren't straight male waiters? *** waiters need a tip in order to
> ensure they come back to your table?
>
> What the hell does the waiter's sexual orientation have to do with

anything?

> Or is it simply International Display Your Homophobia in Odd and Suprising
> Places Day, and I just missed it?
>
> -Steve

Tipping my be out???? Richard Neidich Wine 27 22-09-2005 03:04 AM
Tipping in the US jmcquown General Cooking 36 09-03-2005 01:43 PM
Tipping - was Tipping on Wine Dick R. Wine 21 26-08-2004 03:05 AM
Tipping limey General Cooking 5 09-03-2004 07:30 AM
? about tipping JANIC412 General Cooking 5 17-10-2003 10:47 AM