Old 24-03-2016, 06:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Betty Crocker Scissors

One of my pairs of kitchen scissors broke a few weeks back. Not as in broke
into pieces but something got sort of off kilter or something and they were
sticking but apart. They were old. So I bought a pair of the Betty Crocker
ones when I was in Dollar Tree.

I tried to use them to cut up the meat for the Easter pies. But they
wouldn't cut it. In the past I have used a knife to cut the meat and cheese
but some of the meat is greasy and it makes for a slippery mess. I wound up
using the Betty scissors to hold the meat while using a different pair of
scissors to cut it.

I can't really complain about the Betty scissors as they were only a dollar
and they will cut other things. Apparently just not slippery, fatty,
Italian meats.

Old 24-03-2016, 07:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 8:48:05 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
One of my pairs of kitchen scissors broke a few weeks back. Not as in broke
into pieces but something got sort of off kilter or something and they were
sticking but apart. They were old. So I bought a pair of the Betty Crocker
ones when I was in Dollar Tree.

I tried to use them to cut up the meat for the Easter pies. But they
wouldn't cut it. In the past I have used a knife to cut the meat and cheese
but some of the meat is greasy and it makes for a slippery mess. I wound up
using the Betty scissors to hold the meat while using a different pair of
scissors to cut it.

I can't really complain about the Betty scissors as they were only a dollar
and they will cut other things. Apparently just not slippery, fatty,
Italian meats.

I predict that cutting meats with scissors will be a popular trend shortly. It is one that that will change how we serve meats and other foods.
Old 24-03-2016, 09:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

Do elucidate dear boy. I see you are into trends ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 24-03-2016, 03:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 12:48:05 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
One of my pairs of kitchen scissors broke a few weeks back. Not as in broke
into pieces but something got sort of off kilter or something and they were
sticking but apart. They were old. So I bought a pair of the Betty Crocker
ones when I was in Dollar Tree.

I tried to use them to cut up the meat for the Easter pies. But they
wouldn't cut it. In the past I have used a knife to cut the meat and cheese
but some of the meat is greasy and it makes for a slippery mess. I wound up
using the Betty scissors to hold the meat while using a different pair of
scissors to cut it.

I can't really complain about the Betty scissors as they were only a dollar
and they will cut other things. Apparently just not slippery, fatty,
Italian meats.

Cheap Chinese JUNK!!!

John Kuthe...

Old 24-03-2016, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Like this? http://tiny.cc/l63aay
Old 24-03-2016, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 9:52:43 AM UTC-6, graham wrote:
[...]

No, like a preponderance of what MalWart sells!!

John Kuthe...
Old 24-03-2016, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 11:59:35 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" dsi1 wrote in message
[...]

The Koreans are the wild n' crazy, high-energy, high-speed, Asians that will be trend-setters at least for the next decade. They are a technology and trend driven society. They're like a country on crystal meth.

As far as shears being used at the dining table goes - it makes sense to me. Using half a scissors and scraping it on a plate to cut meat seems pretty inefficient to me. A pair of scissors works a lot better.

Old 25-03-2016, 08:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

I predict that cutting meats with scissors will be a popular trend
shortly. It is one that that will change how we serve meats and other
foods.

Do elucidate dear boy. I see you are into trends ;-)

The Koreans are the wild n' crazy, high-energy, high-speed, Asians that
will be trend-setters at least for the next decade. They are a technology
and trend driven society. They're like a country on crystal meth.

As far as shears being used at the dining table goes - it makes sense to
me. Using half a scissors and scraping it on a plate to cut meat seems
pretty inefficient to me. A pair of scissors works a lot better.

Whatever works best for you ... well so long as Mrs D doesn't disagree ...

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 25-03-2016, 10:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"dsi1" wrote in message

I predict that cutting meats with scissors will be a popular trend
shortly. It is one that that will change how we serve meats and other
foods.

Do elucidate dear boy. I see you are into trends ;-)

The Koreans are the wild n' crazy, high-energy, high-speed, Asians that
will be trend-setters at least for the next decade. They are a technology
and trend driven society. They're like a country on crystal meth.

As far as shears being used at the dining table goes - it makes sense to
me. Using half a scissors and scraping it on a plate to cut meat seems
pretty inefficient to me. A pair of scissors works a lot better.

Whatever works best for you ... well so long as Mrs D doesn't disagree ...

I learned the scissor trick from a caregiver. Works much better and quicker
than a knife when a person needs their food to be minced up.

Old 25-03-2016, 01:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 6:50:56 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

I tried to use them to cut up the meat for the Easter pies. But they
wouldn't cut it. In the past I have used a knife to cut the meat and cheese
but some of the meat is greasy and it makes for a slippery mess.

Even with very sharp knife, room temp meat can be too loose (and
greasy) to cut as you want to. Best way to cut raw meat with a knife
is to have it semi-frozen. It's very firm but still soft enough to
slice through with no problem.

I know you will discount this method but it works well for me.

Exactly! I used to do this with portions of flank steak. Freeze them then defrost in the microwave to just barely still frozen, then slice very thin across the grain. I used to do this for breakfasts when I was living in my minivan Baby down by he river over 1/2 my weeks back in the Spring of 2003! Epic Spring for me! I kayaked a LOT of whitewater that Spring! I'd put the sliced up flank steak in individual servings in small Ziploc bags, all peppered up with spices and a little Worchestershire, then refreeze for my cooler for steak and eggs breakfasts by the river! YUM!

John Kuthe...

Old 25-03-2016, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 11:00:37 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"dsi1" dsi1 wrote in message

I predict that cutting meats with scissors will be a popular trend
shortly. It is one that that will change how we serve meats and other
foods.

Do elucidate dear boy. I see you are into trends ;-)

The Koreans are the wild n' crazy, high-energy, high-speed, Asians that
will be trend-setters at least for the next decade. They are a technology
and trend driven society. They're like a country on crystal meth.

As far as shears being used at the dining table goes - it makes sense to
me. Using half a scissors and scraping it on a plate to cut meat seems
pretty inefficient to me. A pair of scissors works a lot better.

Whatever works best for you ... well so long as Mrs D doesn't disagree ....

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

She won't disagree since she was raised by a Korean woman. My wife is the one that taught me of the ways of the Koreans. She told me that her brother once ate a gallon of fresh kim chee that her mom made. She recalls him lying on the kitchen floor, in pain, unable to move. I told her that maybe it's what killed him 50 years later. She agreed.
Old 25-03-2016, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

Your life's stories merit exclamation marks! A sign of a true narcissist!

John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Old 25-03-2016, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

I tried to use them to cut up the meat for the Easter pies. But they
wouldn't cut it. In the past I have used a knife to cut the meat and
cheese
but some of the meat is greasy and it makes for a slippery mess.

Even with very sharp knife, room temp meat can be too loose (and
greasy) to cut as you want to. Best way to cut raw meat with a knife
is to have it semi-frozen. It's very firm but still soft enough to
slice through with no problem.

I know you will discount this method but it works well for me.

I couldn't go back and uncook the meat. They were cold cuts.