Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Leftover Duck recipes?

Hi folks,

I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will have
a lot of meat leftover.

The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I have
some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we normally end up
with too much meat and few variations in ideas for it.

This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
to cover up.

I can always use new ideas!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:59:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will have
>a lot of meat leftover.
>
>The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I have
>some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we normally end up
>with too much meat and few variations in ideas for it.
>
>This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
>to cover up.
>
>I can always use new ideas!

Cut into small pieces and then crumbed?
Confit?
Cut a pocket into the breasts and stuff with some goodies?
Make a stir-fry or similar?
Duck sandwiches?
Duck salad?
Give it to me?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/03/2016 7:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will have
> a lot of meat leftover.
>
> The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I have
> some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we normally end up
> with too much meat and few variations in ideas for it.
>
> This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
> to cover up.
>
> I can always use new ideas!
>
> Carol

I hope you retain the fat with which to roast potatoes!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 19/03/2016 7:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will
> > have a lot of meat leftover.
> >
> > The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I
> > have some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we
> > normally end up with too much meat and few variations in ideas for
> > it.
> >
> > This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game
> > taste to cover up.
> >
> > I can always use new ideas!
> >
> > Carol
> >

> I hope you retain the fat with which to roast potatoes!
> Graham

Oh absolutely! In fact, thats the main reason we make the duck. Might
sound silly to some but we really like the fat for other things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:59:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow.

In one day? Don't you have to sit on the egg for weeks?

--
Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/03/2016 9:46 PM, cshenk wrote:
> graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 19/03/2016 7:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will
>>> have a lot of meat leftover.
>>>
>>> The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I
>>> have some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we
>>> normally end up with too much meat and few variations in ideas for
>>> it.
>>>
>>> This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game
>>> taste to cover up.
>>>
>>> I can always use new ideas!
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> I hope you retain the fat with which to roast potatoes!
>> Graham

> Oh absolutely! In fact, thats the main reason we make the duck. Might
> sound silly to some but we really like the fat for other things.

I tried making cookies using duck fat but some of the stock must have
been incorporated in the fat and the taste was "interesting"!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 10:26:37 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
> On 19/03/2016 9:46 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> I hope you retain the fat with which to roast potatoes!
> >> Graham

> > Oh absolutely! In fact, thats the main reason we make the duck. Might
> > sound silly to some but we really like the fat for other things.
> >

> I tried making cookies using duck fat but some of the stock must have
> been incorporated in the fat and the taste was "interesting"!
> Graham

In my baking experience the duck fat was not "interesting", but quite disgusting.
Ditto for "GOOSE FAT".
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:59:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will have
> a lot of meat leftover.
>
> The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I have
> some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we normally end up
> with too much meat and few variations in ideas for it.
>
> This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
> to cover up.
>
> I can always use new ideas!

What does duck cost you back east and can you buy it fresh? Is it a
common grocery store item or do you have to buy them frozen from an
Asian market?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-19 9:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will have
> a lot of meat leftover.
>
> The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I have
> some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we normally end up
> with too much meat and few variations in ideas for it.
>
> This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
> to cover up.
>
> I can always use new ideas!

Leftover ducK? I can't imagine that happening. We usually split a bird.
They aren't very big.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-20 3:19 AM, sf wrote:

>> This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
>> to cover up.
>>
>> I can always use new ideas!
>>

> What does duck cost you back east and can you buy it fresh? Is it a
> common grocery store item or do you have to buy them frozen from an
> Asian market?

FWIW, it this part of southern Ontario, where the Chinese population is
limited to college students a few Chinese restaurants, duck is commonly
available in the freezer section of most grocery stores.

I have sworn off cooking duck. Only one time has it not been a failure.
It has been relegated to being a restaurant meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 09:05:01 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-03-20 3:19 AM, sf wrote:
>
>>> This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
>>> to cover up.
>>>
>>> I can always use new ideas!
>>>

>> What does duck cost you back east and can you buy it fresh? Is it a
>> common grocery store item or do you have to buy them frozen from an
>> Asian market?
>>

>FWIW, it this part of southern Ontario, where the Chinese population is
>limited to college students a few Chinese restaurants, duck is commonly
>available in the freezer section of most grocery stores.
>
>I have sworn off cooking duck. Only one time has it not been a failure.
>It has been relegated to being a restaurant meal.

Are you roasting it slowly enough and on a rack so the fat can escape?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 19/03/2016 9:46 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I hope you retain the fat with which to roast potatoes!
> > > Graham

> > Oh absolutely! In fact, thats the main reason we make the duck.
> > Might sound silly to some but we really like the fat for other
> > things.
> >

> I tried making cookies using duck fat but some of the stock must have
> been incorporated in the fat and the taste was "interesting"! Graham

We use the fat mostly in potatoes and things like that here. Might
land (mixed with other fats) in an otherwise all vegetable and grain
based curry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2016 10:33 AM, cshenk wrote:
> graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Oh absolutely! In fact, thats the main reason we make the duck.
>>> Might sound silly to some but we really like the fat for other
>>> things.
>>>

>> I tried making cookies using duck fat but some of the stock must have
>> been incorporated in the fat and the taste was "interesting"! Graham

> We use the fat mostly in potatoes and things like that here. Might
> land (mixed with other fats) in an otherwise all vegetable and grain
> based curry.

My father told me that a UK TV chef roasted a goose directly on the oven
rack with a pan of potatoes underneath catching the drippings. I'd love
to try that with a couple of ducks - but in someone else's oven:-)
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:59:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will
> > have a lot of meat leftover.
> >
> > The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I
> > have some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we
> > normally end up with too much meat and few variations in ideas for
> > it.
> >
> > This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game
> > taste to cover up.
> >
> > I can always use new ideas!
> >

> What does duck cost you back east and can you buy it fresh? Is it a
> common grocery store item or do you have to buy them frozen from an
> Asian market?

I can get them fresh but they tend to 15$ a lb here if so. Just not
the right part of the country. They seem to be farm raised mostly up
around New England-ish areas but this one comes from Indianna.

For price, I get them frozen at American Asian Grovery where a whole
duck (USA raised) is 14$

Here it is in the oven http://tinypic.com/r/28mph1j/9

Cant see much just now. It's smeared with a simply oyster sauce base.

I also have the giblets going in a pan with some pepper and rogan josh.
Plus made bread as normal. Gotta clean the stove top again but too
busy cooking right now.

http://tinypic.com/r/msd5ye/9

In an hour, we will reduce the temp to 275 and flip it breast up, then
reverse that in another hour. It may or may not want more oyster sauce
on flipping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2016-03-20 3:19 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > > This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game
> > > taste to cover up.
> > >
> > > I can always use new ideas!
> > >

> > What does duck cost you back east and can you buy it fresh? Is it a
> > common grocery store item or do you have to buy them frozen from an
> > Asian market?
> >

> FWIW, it this part of southern Ontario, where the Chinese population
> is limited to college students a few Chinese restaurants, duck is
> commonly available in the freezer section of most grocery stores.
>
> I have sworn off cooking duck. Only one time has it not been a
> failure. It has been relegated to being a restaurant meal.

Ah sorry. Duck is a bit special in how you have to cook it. Lower
temp after fir5st hour for example and start breast down then flip,
reduce temp to 275, wait an hour then flip (same temp), then add more
sauce if needed (depends on what you did), flip and another hour. When
it seems almost don, final flip to breast up then uncover. May want to
high sear that last bit at 400F.

A duck has to be raised out of it's fat when cooking. Hence the
picture showing it in the oven. I'll make another picture of the rack
base later when I can (it's obviously in use right now). This one is
the flat rack that holds the duck about 1.5 inches above the glass
bottom pan. I have another that is V shaped and makes flipping easier.

If you coooked one like a chicken, sitting in it's fat, that is what
went wrong. Also, though I have never done it, apparently duck can be
very tough if cooked at too high a heat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2016-03-19 9:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will
> > have a lot of meat leftover.
> >
> > The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I
> > have some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we
> > normally end up with too much meat and few variations in ideas for
> > it.
> >
> > This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game
> > taste to cover up.
> >
> > I can always use new ideas!

> Leftover ducK? I can't imagine that happening. We usually split a
> bird. They aren't very big.

WOW. The 3 of us get 3 meals each off one duck. Granted we are low
meat eaters but the average duck yields at least 6 meals because it's a
very rich meat. 1 breast or leg quarter each (4 meals), 1 wing and side
meat (2 meals).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-20, cshenk > wrote:

> WOW. The 3 of us get 3 meals each off one duck. Granted we are low
> meat eaters but the average duck yields at least 6 meals because it's a
> very rich meat. 1 breast or leg quarter each (4 meals), 1 wing and side
> meat (2 meals).

If one duck yields "6 meals", how do you feed 3 ppl 3 meals? I mean
--c'mon!-- 3 times 3 is 9.

Me? I never usta like duck. That is, until I tasted a great roast
duck. There's a resto in Sacramento, CA, named The Rusty Duck
....or Rusty Scupper.... Rusty somethingorother. I ordered my first whole
roast duck. It was awesome and I ate the entire bird. It was neither
too greasy nor too fatty.

I later learned how to cook fine duck breasts and, later, make a confit.
Still, not as many ducks in my life as I would like.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 8:59:45 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will have
> a lot of meat leftover.
>
> The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I have
> some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we normally end up
> with too much meat and few variations in ideas for it.
>
> This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
> to cover up.
>
> I can always use new ideas!

In my experience, domestic duck is delicious, and wild duck is nasty, too
nasty to cover up, no matter what.

> Carol

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 09:05:01 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2016-03-20 3:19 AM, sf wrote:
>
> >> This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
> >> to cover up.
> >>
> >> I can always use new ideas!
> >>

> > What does duck cost you back east and can you buy it fresh? Is it a
> > common grocery store item or do you have to buy them frozen from an
> > Asian market?
> >

> FWIW, it this part of southern Ontario, where the Chinese population is
> limited to college students a few Chinese restaurants, duck is commonly
> available in the freezer section of most grocery stores.
>
> I have sworn off cooking duck. Only one time has it not been a failure.
> It has been relegated to being a restaurant meal.

So it's only found frozen back east too? Too bad. I used to make it
years ago, but I don't remember needing to thaw it first. What I will
do, if and when I buy a frozen duck, is take it apart first, and then
I'll confit the legs and saute the breast to rare. I have a kumquat
sauce sitting in the freezer that I want to serve with it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:59:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will have
> a lot of meat leftover.
>
> The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I have
> some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we normally end up
> with too much meat and few variations in ideas for it.
>
> This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
> to cover up.
>
> I can always use new ideas!

I suppose you've served it in steamed buns with hoisin and thinly
sliced scallions, so how about a variation with cucumber and
cantaloupe, wrapped in a Mandarin "pancake"?
http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/11/eas...arin-pancakes/

Or duck tacos? I'd go easier on the chipotle, a little goes a long
way.
http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/07...rry-salsa.html

There's always soup, but I imagine you've done that to death.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-20 1:20 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> I have sworn off cooking duck. Only one time has it not been a
>> failure. It has been relegated to being a restaurant meal.

> Ah sorry. Duck is a bit special in how you have to cook it. Lower
> temp after fir5st hour for example and start breast down then flip,
> reduce temp to 275, wait an hour then flip (same temp), then add more
> sauce if needed (depends on what you did), flip and another hour. When
> it seems almost don, final flip to breast up then uncover. May want to
> high sear that last bit at 400F.
>
> A duck has to be raised out of it's fat when cooking. Hence the
> picture showing it in the oven. I'll make another picture of the rack
> base later when I can (it's obviously in use right now). This one is
> the flat rack that holds the duck about 1.5 inches above the glass
> bottom pan. I have another that is V shaped and makes flipping easier.
>
> If you coooked one like a chicken, sitting in it's fat, that is what
> went wrong. Also, though I have never done it, apparently duck can be
> very tough if cooked at too high a heat?

I have always done it on a rack. Of all times I have done duck, only one
was not a disappointment or utter failure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2016-03-20, cshenk > wrote:
>
> > WOW. The 3 of us get 3 meals each off one duck. Granted we are low
> > meat eaters but the average duck yields at least 6 meals because
> > it's a very rich meat. 1 breast or leg quarter each (4 meals), 1
> > wing and side meat (2 meals).

> If one duck yields "6 meals", how do you feed 3 ppl 3 meals? I mean
> --c'mon!-- 3 times 3 is 9.
>
> Me? I never usta like duck. That is, until I tasted a great roast
> duck. There's a resto in Sacramento, CA, named The Rusty Duck
> ...or Rusty Scupper.... Rusty somethingorother. I ordered my first
> whole roast duck. It was awesome and I ate the entire bird. It was
> neither too greasy nor too fatty.
>
> I later learned how to cook fine duck breasts and, later, make a
> confit. Still, not as many ducks in my life as I would like.
>
> nb

I already broke it out to 6 meals for you. It can easily be 9.

There is a reason why Americans tend to top the weight charts on
obesity. Lets just say in our case, we have a grunch of leftovers.

http://tinypic.com/r/2lyjad/9

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 20/03/2016 10:33 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I tried making cookies using duck fat but some of the stock must
> > > have been incorporated in the fat and the taste was
> > > "interesting"! Graham

> > We use the fat mostly in potatoes and things like that here. Might
> > land (mixed with other fats) in an otherwise all vegetable and grain
> > based curry.
> >

> My father told me that a UK TV chef roasted a goose directly on the
> oven rack with a pan of potatoes underneath catching the drippings.
> I'd love to try that with a couple of ducks - but in someone else's
> oven:-) Graham

LOL! Yeah, needs a cover for sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2016-03-20 1:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > > I have sworn off cooking duck. Only one time has it not been a
> > > failure. It has been relegated to being a restaurant meal.

> > Ah sorry. Duck is a bit special in how you have to cook it. Lower
> > temp after fir5st hour for example and start breast down then flip,
> > reduce temp to 275, wait an hour then flip (same temp), then add
> > more sauce if needed (depends on what you did), flip and another
> > hour. When it seems almost don, final flip to breast up then
> > uncover. May want to high sear that last bit at 400F.
> >
> > A duck has to be raised out of it's fat when cooking. Hence the
> > picture showing it in the oven. I'll make another picture of the
> > rack base later when I can (it's obviously in use right now). This
> > one is the flat rack that holds the duck about 1.5 inches above the
> > glass bottom pan. I have another that is V shaped and makes
> > flipping easier.
> >
> > If you coooked one like a chicken, sitting in it's fat, that is what
> > went wrong. Also, though I have never done it, apparently duck can
> > be very tough if cooked at too high a heat?
> >

> I have always done it on a rack. Of all times I have done duck, only
> one was not a disappointment or utter failure.

Discribe what you did and maybe we can help? Example, that temerature
did you use?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 8:59:45 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will
> > have a lot of meat leftover.
> >
> > The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I
> > have some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we
> > normally end up with too much meat and few variations in ideas for
> > it.
> >
> > This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game
> > taste to cover up.
> >
> > I can always use new ideas!
> >

> In my experience, domestic duck is delicious, and wild duck is nasty,
> too nasty to cover up, no matter what.
> >

> > Carol
> >

> --Bryan

The only time I tried wild duck, I didnt like it. I am sure some
purists will find that odd but i like the domestically raised sorts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-20, cshenk > wrote:

> we have a grunch of leftovers.

I have no idea what a "grunch" is, but from the sound of it, I'm glad
you have them and not me.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:59:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will
> > have a lot of meat leftover.
> >
> > The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I
> > have some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we
> > normally end up with too much meat and few variations in ideas for
> > it.
> >
> > This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game
> > taste to cover up.
> >
> > I can always use new ideas!
> >

> I suppose you've served it in steamed buns with hoisin and thinly
> sliced scallions, so how about a variation with cucumber and
> cantaloupe, wrapped in a Mandarin "pancake"?
> http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/11/eas...arin-pancakes/
>
> Or duck tacos? I'd go easier on the chipotle, a little goes a long
> way.
> http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/07...potle-cherry-s
> alsa.html
>
> There's always soup, but I imagine you've done that to death.

On the soup, actually not really other than broth.

I'm finishing off the duck now and letting it rest. I am going to try
a sort of spring roll wrap alhough I have only thr super thin lumpia
type wrap handy for that. I do have flour tortillas and may make a
wrap as well.

For now, the broth has been filtered and the fat cooling off while the
broth part is in a cast iron with potatoes and some of the excess 1lb
of scallions (set to low, reducing).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Mar 2016 20:40:08 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-03-20, cshenk > wrote:
>
>> we have a grunch of leftovers.

>I have no idea what a "grunch" is, but from the sound of it, I'm glad
>you have them and not me.
>
>nb

Isn't "grunch" the sound of severe constipation?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2016-03-20, cshenk > wrote:
>
> > we have a grunch of leftovers.

> I have no idea what a "grunch" is, but from the sound of it, I'm glad
> you have them and not me.
>
> nb

LOL! Means a lot of leftovers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 20 Mar 2016 20:40:08 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2016-03-20, cshenk > wrote:
> >
> >> we have a grunch of leftovers.

> > I have no idea what a "grunch" is, but from the sound of it, I'm
> > glad you have them and not me.
> >
> > nb

> Isn't "grunch" the sound of severe constipation?

Ohh! That wuld be bad! Nope. Grunch just means 'a bunch of'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 9:26:07 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:59:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will have
> > a lot of meat leftover.
> >
> > The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I have
> > some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we normally end up
> > with too much meat and few variations in ideas for it.
> >
> > This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game taste
> > to cover up.
> >
> > I can always use new ideas!
> >

> I suppose you've served it in steamed buns with hoisin and thinly
> sliced scallions, so how about a variation with cucumber and
> cantaloupe, wrapped in a Mandarin "pancake"?
> http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/11/eas...arin-pancakes/

I've had the duck with the steamed buns. We'll order Peking duck on special occasions. It's truly sublime. Over here, they tend to just serve the buns with only the crispy skin and the duck meat separately. That's good because I don't much for duck meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaZO3p_OPnw

> Or duck tacos? I'd go easier on the chipotle, a little goes a long
> way.
> http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/07...rry-salsa.html
>
> There's always soup, but I imagine you've done that to death.
>
> --
>
> sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 3:18:52 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 8:59:45 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I make a duck every 6-8 weeks. I am making one tomorrow. We will
> > > have a lot of meat leftover.
> > >
> > > The carcass will make soup along with some carrots and onions (I
> > > have some celery as well) and we will eat some of it, but we
> > > normally end up with too much meat and few variations in ideas for
> > > it.
> > >
> > > This is a domestically raised duck so not lean and no wild game
> > > taste to cover up.
> > >
> > > I can always use new ideas!
> > >

> > In my experience, domestic duck is delicious, and wild duck is nasty,
> > too nasty to cover up, no matter what.
> > >

> > > Carol
> > >

> > --Bryan

> The only time I tried wild duck, I didnt like it. I am sure some
> purists will find that odd but i like the domestically raised sorts.

My son threw me a curveball this evening. He wants to learn archery, and
said he might like to hunt. I explained to him that wild turkeys don't
taste as good as grocery store ones.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 18:00:00 -0700 (PDT), MisterDiddyWahDiddy
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 3:18:52 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> The only time I tried wild duck, I didnt like it. I am sure some
>> purists will find that odd but i like the domestically raised sorts.
>>

>My son threw me a curveball this evening. He wants to learn archery, and
>said he might like to hunt. I explained to him that wild turkeys don't
>taste as good as grocery store ones.

Shooting your own turkeys could be cheap and isn't cheap your
favourite flavour?

--
Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 15:18:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> The only time I tried wild duck, I didnt like it. I am sure some
> purists will find that odd but i like the domestically raised sorts.

Agree about that, I prefer farmed salmon too.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 18:00:00 -0700 (PDT), MisterDiddyWahDiddy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 3:18:52 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>>>
>>> The only time I tried wild duck, I didnt like it. I am sure some
>>> purists will find that odd but i like the domestically raised sorts.
>>>

>>My son threw me a curveball this evening. He wants to learn archery, and
>>said he might like to hunt. I explained to him that wild turkeys don't
>>taste as good as grocery store ones.

> Shooting your own turkeys could be cheap and isn't cheap your
> favourite flavour?

I used to do archery but just for sport I think I will stick with the
shotgun for game

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 23:52:01 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 15:18:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> The only time I tried wild duck, I didnt like it. I am sure some
>> purists will find that odd but i like the domestically raised sorts.

>Agree about that, I prefer farmed salmon too.

That's presumably because you are talking Pacific salmon, wild
north Atlantic salmon is to die for but incredibly expensive now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 8:09:16 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 18:00:00 -0700 (PDT), MisterDiddyWahDiddy
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 3:18:52 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> >>
> >> The only time I tried wild duck, I didnt like it. I am sure some
> >> purists will find that odd but i like the domestically raised sorts.
> >>

> >My son threw me a curveball this evening. He wants to learn archery, and
> >said he might like to hunt. I explained to him that wild turkeys don't
> >taste as good as grocery store ones.

> Shooting your own turkeys could be cheap and isn't cheap your
> favourite flavour?

Things that taste good are my favorite flavor, and I wouldn't shoot a
turkey that wasn't going to get eaten. I would like you watch your ass
bleed out, though I'd hope you'd provide a nice feast for the vultures.

> --
> Bruce

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-21 2:52 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 15:18:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> The only time I tried wild duck, I didnt like it. I am sure some
>> purists will find that odd but i like the domestically raised sorts.

> Agree about that, I prefer farmed salmon too.

Wild duck is pretty lean compared to domestic. The taste varies from one
species to another, and some are too fishy tasting. I don't mind farmed
salmon, but I am usually willing to pay more for wild.