Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buckwheat honey

Every once in a while I see buckwheat honey for sale and make the
mistake of buying a small jar of it. I used to like it as an occasional
treat. The problem is that, as much as I enjoy it the first few times I
have it, it quickly loses it's appeal. A little bit of that stuff goes
along way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2016 9:22 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Every once in a while I see buckwheat honey for sale and make the
> mistake of buying a small jar of it. I used to like it as an occasional
> treat. The problem is that, as much as I enjoy it the first few times I
> have it, it quickly loses it's appeal. A little bit of that stuff goes
> along way.

There is a place near me that collects local honey ... I see their
boxes all over. Their honey is so delicious, not cooked. Wonderful
stuff, and they have different varieties.

Buckwheat honey, that sounds interesting, so I tasted a sample.
Momma mia, that is some sturdy stuff right there. I didn't buy
that, not sure what I'd even do with it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-26 9:35 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/26/2016 9:22 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Every once in a while I see buckwheat honey for sale and make the
>> mistake of buying a small jar of it. I used to like it as an occasional
>> treat. The problem is that, as much as I enjoy it the first few times I
>> have it, it quickly loses it's appeal. A little bit of that stuff goes
>> along way.

> There is a place near me that collects local honey ... I see their
> boxes all over. Their honey is so delicious, not cooked. Wonderful
> stuff, and they have different varieties.
>
> Buckwheat honey, that sounds interesting, so I tasted a sample.
> Momma mia, that is some sturdy stuff right there. I didn't buy
> that, not sure what I'd even do with it.

I am wondering if maybe there is something in the line of a healthy
snack bar with lots of other funky flavours that could handle the
intense flavour of the buckwheat honey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2016 9:54 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-02-26 9:35 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Buckwheat honey, that sounds interesting, so I tasted a sample.
>> Momma mia, that is some sturdy stuff right there. I didn't buy
>> that, not sure what I'd even do with it.

> I am wondering if maybe there is something in the line of a healthy
> snack bar with lots of other funky flavours that could handle the
> intense flavour of the buckwheat honey.

Like something that could handle strong molasses, maybe. That's
a good idea. Putting it on your toast, not so much.

For me. There are probably a million people who'd like it on
toast.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:22:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Every once in a while I see buckwheat honey for sale and make the
> mistake of buying a small jar of it. I used to like it as an occasional
> treat. The problem is that, as much as I enjoy it the first few times I
> have it, it quickly loses it's appeal. A little bit of that stuff goes
> along way.

I've never seen that, never heard of it either. I'm still working on
finding Greek honey, which I hear is excellent.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>Every once in a while I see buckwheat honey for sale and make the
>mistake of buying a small jar of it. I used to like it as an occasional
>treat. The problem is that, as much as I enjoy it the first few times I
>have it, it quickly loses it's appeal. A little bit of that stuff goes
>along way.

Perhaps what you're buying isn't a good buckwheat honey, often what's
on sale is over processed and it's not really a very pure buckwheat
honey. Quality buckwheat honey is very good for baked goods.
http://world-of-honey.com/honey-prod...ckwheat-honey/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:35:30 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 2/26/2016 9:22 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Every once in a while I see buckwheat honey for sale and make the
>> mistake of buying a small jar of it. I used to like it as an occasional
>> treat. The problem is that, as much as I enjoy it the first few times I
>> have it, it quickly loses it's appeal. A little bit of that stuff goes
>> along way.

>There is a place near me that collects local honey ... I see their
>boxes all over. Their honey is so delicious, not cooked. Wonderful
>stuff, and they have different varieties.
>
>Buckwheat honey, that sounds interesting, so I tasted a sample.
>Momma mia, that is some sturdy stuff right there. I didn't buy
>that, not sure what I'd even do with it.

Excellent for honeycake.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._honey,FF.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 10:49:23 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:22:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> Every once in a while I see buckwheat honey for sale and make the
>> mistake of buying a small jar of it. I used to like it as an occasional
>> treat. The problem is that, as much as I enjoy it the first few times I
>> have it, it quickly loses it's appeal. A little bit of that stuff goes
>> along way.

>I've never seen that, never heard of it either. I'm still working on
>finding Greek honey, which I hear is excellent.

Guess where your Greek style honey comes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2016 2:47 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:35:30 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> Buckwheat honey, that sounds interesting, so I tasted a sample.
>> Momma mia, that is some sturdy stuff right there. I didn't buy
>> that, not sure what I'd even do with it.

> Excellent for honeycake.
> http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._honey,FF.html

That would be a great way to use it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-26 1:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:22:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Every once in a while I see buckwheat honey for sale and make the
>> mistake of buying a small jar of it. I used to like it as an occasional
>> treat. The problem is that, as much as I enjoy it the first few times I
>> have it, it quickly loses it's appeal. A little bit of that stuff goes
>> along way.

> I've never seen that, never heard of it either. I'm still working on
> finding Greek honey, which I hear is excellent.

It's worth a try. My father used to like it so my mother would buy it
occasionally for him. I had fond memories of it and occasionally would
buy it if I saw it for sale. It's actually pretty good, but the thing
is that, as much as I like it the first few times I have it, I tire of
it quickly. It is worth trying if you come across it. , but I would
recommend getting only a small jar. It is an interesting taste. It is a
good taste. It is also a very intense flavour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:44:06 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 2/26/2016 2:47 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:35:30 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> Buckwheat honey, that sounds interesting, so I tasted a sample.
>>> Momma mia, that is some sturdy stuff right there. I didn't buy
>>> that, not sure what I'd even do with it.

>> Excellent for honeycake.
>> http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._honey,FF.html

>That would be a great way to use it.
>
>nancy

I rarely use white sugar as a sweetener, I mostly use honey or dark
brown sugar, I'm still working on the five pound bag of white sugar I
bought some 20 years ago, there's still more than enough for another
20 years. Several of my neighbors keep bees so are always trading me
honey for veggies... in rural areas it's very common to use a loosey
goosey barter system with neighbors rather than cash, when I offer
them my extra veggies from my garden they bring me some of their extra
honey, there's no formal agreement. I've always maintained a policy
of not doing cash business with neighbors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:26:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2016-02-26 1:49 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:22:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Every once in a while I see buckwheat honey for sale and make the
> >> mistake of buying a small jar of it. I used to like it as an occasional
> >> treat. The problem is that, as much as I enjoy it the first few times I
> >> have it, it quickly loses it's appeal. A little bit of that stuff goes
> >> along way.

> > I've never seen that, never heard of it either. I'm still working on
> > finding Greek honey, which I hear is excellent.

> It's worth a try. My father used to like it so my mother would buy it
> occasionally for him. I had fond memories of it and occasionally would
> buy it if I saw it for sale. It's actually pretty good, but the thing
> is that, as much as I like it the first few times I have it, I tire of
> it quickly. It is worth trying if you come across it. , but I would
> recommend getting only a small jar. It is an interesting taste. It is a
> good taste. It is also a very intense flavour.

I use very little honey, so I buy the smallest container they sell -
but we use it so little that it gets hard (is that what crystallize
is?) before it's half way gone. Sure I can reliquify it, but it just
doesn't taste the same to me after that.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-26 7:46 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:26:24 -0500, Dave Smith

>> It's worth a try. My father used to like it so my mother would buy it
>> occasionally for him. I had fond memories of it and occasionally would
>> buy it if I saw it for sale. It's actually pretty good, but the thing
>> is that, as much as I like it the first few times I have it, I tire of
>> it quickly. It is worth trying if you come across it. , but I would
>> recommend getting only a small jar. It is an interesting taste. It is a
>> good taste. It is also a very intense flavour.

> I use very little honey, so I buy the smallest container they sell -
> but we use it so little that it gets hard (is that what crystallize
> is?) before it's half way gone. Sure I can reliquify it, but it just
> doesn't taste the same to me after that.

I confess to liking it after it was crystalized.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:46:37 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:26:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-02-26 1:49 PM, sf wrote:
>> > On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:22:04 -0500, Dave Smith

>> > I've never seen that, never heard of it either. I'm still working on
>> > finding Greek honey, which I hear is excellent.

>> It's worth a try. My father used to like it so my mother would buy it
>> occasionally for him. I had fond memories of it and occasionally would
>> buy it if I saw it for sale. It's actually pretty good, but the thing
>> is that, as much as I like it the first few times I have it, I tire of
>> it quickly. It is worth trying if you come across it. , but I would
>> recommend getting only a small jar. It is an interesting taste. It is a
>> good taste. It is also a very intense flavour.

>I use very little honey, so I buy the smallest container they sell -
>but we use it so little that it gets hard (is that what crystallize
>is?) before it's half way gone. Sure I can reliquify it, but it just
>doesn't taste the same to me after that.

I just found this today. I've never seen or heard of it before but
can't wait to try it. At least it won't crystallize before I'm done
with it.
Scroll down past the kimchi pot post.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...imchi-pot.html

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 8:24:27 PM UTC-10, koko wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:46:37 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:26:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> It's worth a try. My father used to like it so my mother would buy it
> >> occasionally for him. I had fond memories of it and occasionally would
> >> buy it if I saw it for sale. It's actually pretty good, but the thing
> >> is that, as much as I like it the first few times I have it, I tire of
> >> it quickly. It is worth trying if you come across it. , but I would
> >> recommend getting only a small jar. It is an interesting taste. It is a
> >> good taste. It is also a very intense flavour.

> >I use very little honey, so I buy the smallest container they sell -
> >but we use it so little that it gets hard (is that what crystallize
> >is?) before it's half way gone. Sure I can reliquify it, but it just
> >doesn't taste the same to me after that.

> I just found this today. I've never seen or heard of it before but
> can't wait to try it. At least it won't crystallize before I'm done
> with it.
> Scroll down past the kimchi pot post.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...imchi-pot.html
>
> koko
>
> --
>
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> James Beard

It's a popular sweetener in Korea in either powder or liquid form. It's made from dried agave juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 2:22:58 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 8:24:27 PM UTC-10, koko wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:46:37 -0800, sf > wrote:

> > >I use very little honey, so I buy the smallest container they sell -
> > >but we use it so little that it gets hard (is that what crystallize
> > >is?) before it's half way gone. Sure I can reliquify it, but it just
> > >doesn't taste the same to me after that.

> > I just found this today. I've never seen or heard of it before but
> > can't wait to try it. At least it won't crystallize before I'm done
> > with it.
> > Scroll down past the kimchi pot post.
> > http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...imchi-pot.html
> >
> > koko
> >
> > --
> >
> > Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> > James Beard

> It's a popular sweetener in Korea in either powder or liquid form. It's made from dried agave juice.

Koreans eat nasty things like dog meat.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 08:45:09 -0800 (PST), MisterDiddyWahDiddy
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 2:22:58 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

>> > I just found this today. I've never seen or heard of it before but
>> > can't wait to try it. At least it won't crystallize before I'm done
>> > with it.
>> > Scroll down past the kimchi pot post.
>> > http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...imchi-pot.html
>> >
>> > koko
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Food is our common ground, a universal experience
>> > James Beard

>> It's a popular sweetener in Korea in either powder or liquid form. It's made from dried agave juice.

>Koreans eat nasty things like dog meat.

Bwrrryan eats nasty man meat! LOL-LOL

KASHA ( buckwheat ) No Name General Cooking 7 27-09-2009 02:45 PM
Buckwheat noodles Andrea2 Diabetic 2 01-01-2007 12:04 AM
Buckwheat Grits Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 08-04-2006 03:11 AM
Buckwheat Dave Vegan 5 08-01-2006 11:24 PM
Buckwheat Crepes Richard Periut General Cooking 4 08-10-2003 04:38 PM