Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Buckwheat noodles

Among the many things that DH ordered me from Amazon was a case of
Buckwheat noodles. I have been buying buckwheat noodles from the Asian
food marker for a long time but have never seen this brand before.
They are the best I have tasted and like the others are easy on my BG,
because of the high GI of buckwheat.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...364111-2308660

I prepare them by boiling for 5 minutes, then cool with cold water and
drain well. Dip them by the forkful in cold soba noodle soup base
(available at Asian food stores) and eat.
http://www.amazon.com/Shirakiku-Soba...s=gourmet-food

Goes well with a serving of cold grilled salmon.

Andrea2
mother, Type 2, MDI insulin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hi Andrea,
You have written about these Soba noodles and I would like a bit of
info.
Are they the typical Soba as served in Japanese restaurants? If so I
love them hot and cold. I serve them with shredded Daikon...I love
that stuff.
How do these noodles differ from those purchased from and regular
market.
I seldom have a problem eating these. I just love them! Terrible I
guess. They are so good with chopped cucumber and sesame seeds with
some terriyaki chicken served with it.
Oh, I am getting hungry and don't think I have any more noodles or
chicken.
I have found the chicken from Trader Joes frozen section that have been
cooked terriyaki or orange style very good and make a great dinner.
Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 31 Dec 2006 12:55:20 -0800, "Lee" > wrote:

>Hi Andrea,
>You have written about these Soba noodles and I would like a bit of
>info.
>Are they the typical Soba as served in Japanese restaurants? If so I
>love them hot and cold. I serve them with shredded Daikon...I love
>that stuff.
>How do these noodles differ from those purchased from and regular
>market.
>I seldom have a problem eating these. I just love them! Terrible I
>guess. They are so good with chopped cucumber and sesame seeds with
>some terriyaki chicken served with it.
>Oh, I am getting hungry and don't think I have any more noodles or
>chicken.
>I have found the chicken from Trader Joes frozen section that have been
>cooked terriyaki or orange style very good and make a great dinner.
>Lee

I have only eaten in 3 Japanese restaurants in my area. Only one of
them serve cold buckwheat soba noodles. In Japan there are noodle
restraints that specialize in them. They are usually served cold with
vegetable pickles and a bowl of dipping sauce. I like them, even for
breakfast but DH don't care for them.

If you can find 100% buckwheat soba, they are the most friendly to
your BG and IMO the best tasting. They have them occasionally at the
Asian food market where I shop. Another variety is made with
Buckwheat, yam and wheat flower, they are good too. I get the bottled
dipping sauce and keep it chilled in the refrigerator. I usually eat
them with chop sticks, grab a bunch of noodles, lower them in the
dipping sauce, then in the mouth. It is traditional to make a slurping
sound when sucking them up. The sound in a noodle house in Japan made
DH almost ROTHFLHAO. Of course I told him it was impolite to laugh at
local customs. :-) DH, when he eats them, twirls a bunch around a fork
like spaghetti, then dips them in the sauce.

While I on insulin and eating more carbs because I am nursing, I eat
them often. They are especially good with some salmon on the side,
either canned or fresh broiled.

Andrea2
mother, Type 2, MDI insulin
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
-- Buddhist Proverb

Buckwheat Pancakes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 13-04-2007 03:52 PM
Buckwheat Dave Vegan 5 08-01-2006 10:24 PM
Peddler's Hot and Spicy Noodles (Dandan Noodles) Nicholas Zhou Recipes (moderated) 0 08-11-2003 02:28 PM
Buckwheat Crepes Richard Periut General Cooking 4 08-10-2003 04:38 PM