Old 05-01-2006, 04:48 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
Dave

Default Buckwheat

Whenever I've cooked buckwheat I find the grains stick together to
create
a mushy texture that I am not altogether fond of. Is there any good way
to avoid this?

Old 06-01-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Jeff Caird

On 2006-01-05, Dave wrote:
Whenever I've cooked buckwheat I find the grains stick together to
create
a mushy texture that I am not altogether fond of. Is there any good way
to avoid this?

Your grains would stick together too.

Oh-tay!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:41 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Steve

Dave wrote:
Whenever I've cooked buckwheat I find the grains stick together to
create
a mushy texture that I am not altogether fond of. Is there any good way
to avoid this?

Yes.

1. Get a box of ener-g egg replacer. Use the equivalent of 1 egg per
cup of dry, roasted buckwheat groats.

2. Mix enough egg replacer for 2 cups of dry, roasted buckwheat

3. Set 6 cups of water up to a boil

4. Put buckwheat groats in a pan, mix with the egg replacer. Sprinkle
some black pepper into the mix. Dry roast mix in a frying pan for about
3 minutes.

5. When water is boiling add groats to it. Never add the groats to the
water until the water is at a rolling boil

6. Bring the water back to a boil and set to low. Simmer until the
water is absorbed.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
nemo

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whenever I've cooked buckwheat I find the grains stick together to
create
a mushy texture that I am not altogether fond of. Is there any good way
to avoid this?

Sounds like you might be overcooking it.

Try rinsing it in several changes of running water first.

You could also try bringing the water to the boil first and adding a little
veg oil so that when you pour the buckwheat in it passes through the film of
oil on the surface, then turn it down to a simmer***. I find this works well
with other things that stick together.

nemo

*** Don't do this with kidney beans. They need a good 10 minutes' vigorous
boiling before you turn them down to simmer, otherwise they're seriously
toxic.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
Dave

nemo wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whenever I've cooked buckwheat I find the grains stick together to
create
a mushy texture that I am not altogether fond of. Is there any good way
to avoid this?

Sounds like you might be overcooking it.

Try rinsing it in several changes of running water first.

You could also try bringing the water to the boil first and adding a little
veg oil so that when you pour the buckwheat in it passes through the film of
oil on the surface, then turn it down to a simmer***. I find this works well
with other things that stick together.

Thanks for that tip. Definately worth testing out.

nemo

*** Don't do this with kidney beans. They need a good 10 minutes' vigorous
boiling before you turn them down to simmer, otherwise they're seriously
toxic.

Buckwheat honey Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 16 04-03-2016 06:40 PM
KASHA ( buckwheat ) No Name General Cooking 7 27-09-2009 02:45 PM
Buckwheat Pancakes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 13-04-2007 03:52 PM
Buckwheat noodles Andrea2 Diabetic 2 01-01-2007 12:04 AM
Buckwheat Crepes Richard Periut General Cooking 4 08-10-2003 04:38 PM