Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old Lady lunch today

Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:48:25 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >>About two weeks ago I watched the movie The Iron Lady. There are some
> >>flashbacks to her early years in politics and her long time as prime
> >>minister, but it is mostly about her physical and mental decline in old
> >>age. It was a great movie.

> > The consensus around me was that she single-handedly managed to reduce
> > the British economy to the level of the Portuguese economy.
> >

> Then they would be wrong.

Exactly so, Ms. O...

I first visited the UK back in the mid - 70's, and I also visited East and West Germany and Czechoslovakia. I remember arriving in the UK after being in shiny and prosperous West Germany, and I was thinking, "Poor UK...it looks almost as shabby as communist East Germany or Czechoslovakia..." One Brit told me, "from the look of things, you'd think that we had lost the war, and Germany had won!"

There was good reason the UK was called "the poor man of Europe"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13 10:02 AM, wrote:

>> I have an aunt who was very successful in business and was was equally
>> uninterested in feminism. She already owned her own business when she
>> met my uncle and continued to run it and other business for years.

> My two daughters are successful business women and yet they will opt
> to give women a chance, though I would imagine both would be just as
> quick to fire them if they didn't measure up. For quite awhile my
> younger daughter had a man working for her but he seemed unable to
> take any critiques of his work and how he could improve them so she
> replaced him with a woman who was dead keen and didn't mind any
> suggestions.

Lots of people don't measure up to the job and get fired, males and
females. I had a couple female bosses in my last job. They tended to
view it as a stepping stone up the later. One was pretty good, the other
was useless. I heard her a couple times whining about how she had to
deal with sexist issues, that the men didn't respect her and were often
outright insubordinate and thought it was because she was a woman.
It's true that we did not have much respect for us. She was a rotten
boss who spent most of her time brown nosing to get ahead and really
didn't have a clue about how to do our job and how to evaluate the
effectiveness of our program. For her, it was all about producing
numbers and finding ways to increase them, even if they were actually
meaningless.

She had nowhere near as many problems with the men in our department as
she had with the women. Holy cow they were bitchy. They may not have
confronted her and argued with her the way the guys did, but they never
missed an opportunity to stab her in the back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, 13 August 2015 02:29:57 UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 08:35:22 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

> >>The consensus around me was that she single-handedly managed to reduce
> >>the British economy to the level of the Portuguese economy.

> > I find that a bit unfair, not that I particularly cared for her, she
> > went places but was not one for making sure other women got a good
> > chance too.

> She sorted out the unions which were wrecking this country.

She also helped to break the Cold War. When she first met Mikhail Gorbachev, she immediately liked him, mentioning "He had trustful eyes" (or some such). She proclaimed "Mr. Gorbachev is a man with whom we can do business", and she stressed this to her friend Ronald Reagan. So Gorby and Reagan became friendly, and thus the Cold War unraveled...beautiful, isn't it?

Say what you think about Thatcher or Reagan, but they both happened along at just the perfect time, especially as concerns the Cold War.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 16:00:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:57:55 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:

> >> I meant to add, if you are dining alone ... what then? Do they still
> >> bring
> >> you a massive portion must you forgo it?

> > Dessert? I wouldn't even think about ordering dessert unless I
> > intended it to be the meal.

> So, if you wanted both, something would have to give.

Yes. I addressed that in another post.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

>>> The consensus around me was that she single-handedly managed to reduce
>>> the British economy to the level of the Portuguese economy.

>> I find that a bit unfair, not that I particularly cared for her, she
>> went places but was not one for making sure other women got a good
>> chance too.

> She sorted out the unions which were wrecking this country.
>
> And that is my last word on this subject. This is not a group for
> politics.

+1!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 15:59:30 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:53:45 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:

> >> Hmm not sure I would like that

> > I know you don't like to share. I do, so it works for me.

> What would you do if you were alone??

I rarely eat alone and dessert isn't a big part of my life anyway, so
skipping it isn't a big deal for me. The last time had lunch with my
friends the cafe/restaurant had cookies in their dessert selection and
that's what I ordered.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 21:24:45 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >>Small servings? Around here a single dessert can feed two easily, in
> >>fact four can share and not feel deprived.

> > It's a bad habit that came to us via the USA, we even call them US
> > portions. I don't like huge portions and if I know a place is doing
> > that then I simply order an appetizer and skip the main.

> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US. What
> is the reason for it?

Food is really cheap is a main reason. Also, USAins have always been "big eaters". This has roots in the colonial era. Europeans arriving here were staggered by the sheer abundance of food. Even poor people in the colonies ate relatively well compared to anywhere else. It was really the first time in history that a culture/civilization did not operate at a "starvation level" for ordinary people, there was an abundance of food and so folks did not have to ordinarily stress about where their next bit was coming from - or if they would even have a bite!

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-great...andwich-247495

> >> a "Butty" is a sandwich made with thick cut bread slices or Bread bun.
> >>
> >> It's a Northern expression, in the South it would be more likely called
> >> a "Bacon Roll".

> > 'Fraid not, we in the south call a sandwich a sarnie as in bacon sarnie.

> Ahh we use that too Yorkies are cosmopolitan you know ... ;-)

Quite so!

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10:31:17 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> > On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 6:56:20 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> >> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US.
> >> What
> >> is the reason for it?

> > To make people feel like they're getting a lot for their money. The
> > cost of the raw materials is relatively small compared to other costs
> > (personnel, etc.), so it's a way of getting people to pay enough to
> > cover all of those costs while not spending very much to do so.

> I see.
>

> > A lot of people are pleased when they can take home half (or more)
> > of their restaurant meal to eat the next day. Quite a few people
> > don't mind gorging; either they habitually do so or are willing
> > to make up for the calories in some other way (smaller lunch if
> > they're going out to dinner, extra time at the gym, etc.)

> Well ... none of those reasons ring any bells for me. I don't want to take
> food home ... I rarely eat out anyway because I love to cook ... gorging??
> Ugh.
>
> Thanks though. I 'think' I can see why they do it but ... not for me.

I often have to game the system when I dine out. Frankly, one reason I
prefer lunch out to dinner out is that the portions are typically
smaller.

I like eating out. I can try things that are a little odd, or
that require a lot of different ingredients, that my husband
doesn't like, or that are part of some ethnic cuisine whose
nuances are poorly captured by a recipe from the Internet.
Plus, I don't have to wash the dishes. Someone brings me
food, all the ice water I can drink, and clears it all away
when I'm done. I wouldn't want to exclusively eat in
restaurants--I like to cook. But sometimes I just want the food
to come to me.

It'd be a funny old world if we were all alike, wouldn't it?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 11:40:08 AM UTC-4, BigC300 wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 15:58:12 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> >"William" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> Ophelia...please translate "bratties" to American English
> >>

> >I only know them by their German name 'Bratwurst' I don't know what you
> >call them

> Thanks Ophelia! I don't know why we cannot called it what it is? Pork
> Sausage.

There are many kinds of pork sausage. What if you want bratwurst,
asked for "pork sausage" and got hot Italian sausage? There's a
reason things have specific names.

> I have passed up good sausages in the market because they
> have all sorts of wierd names, but; the government makes them list the
> ingredients in order of highest percentage. If it starts with "pork",
> I know it's good.

My rule of thumb is: If it doesn't have "chicken" or "turkey", I know
it's at least worth trying. Your rule excludes all-beef hot dogs.

A weird name would make me more interested in checking it out. Why
be xenophobic about sausage (or anything, for that matter)?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 6:39:21 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10:31:17 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> > > To make people feel like they're getting a lot for their money. The
> > > cost of the raw materials is relatively small compared to other costs
> > > (personnel, etc.), so it's a way of getting people to pay enough to
> > > cover all of those costs while not spending very much to do so.

> > I see.
> >

> > > A lot of people are pleased when they can take home half (or more)
> > > of their restaurant meal to eat the next day. Quite a few people
> > > don't mind gorging; either they habitually do so or are willing
> > > to make up for the calories in some other way (smaller lunch if
> > > they're going out to dinner, extra time at the gym, etc.)

> > Well ... none of those reasons ring any bells for me. I don't want to take
> > food home ... I rarely eat out anyway because I love to cook ... gorging??
> > Ugh.
> >
> > Thanks though. I 'think' I can see why they do it but ... not for me.

> I often have to game the system when I dine out. Frankly, one reason I
> prefer lunch out to dinner out is that the portions are typically
> smaller.
>
> I like eating out. I can try things that are a little odd, or
> that require a lot of different ingredients, that my husband
> doesn't like, or that are part of some ethnic cuisine whose
> nuances are poorly captured by a recipe from the Internet.
> Plus, I don't have to wash the dishes. Someone brings me
> food, all the ice water I can drink, and clears it all away
> when I'm done. I wouldn't want to exclusively eat in
> restaurants--I like to cook. But sometimes I just want the food
> to come to me.
>
> It'd be a funny old world if we were all alike, wouldn't it?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'm eating such small portions that I might be able to have a meal on my family's leftovers. Yesterday they had some sushi. I had a couple of pieces and some of my daughter's salad which had a dressing on it which was similar to French dressing except it was kim chee flavored and spicy. It was most surprising and wonderful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 15:58:12 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"William" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Ophelia...please translate "bratties" to American English
>>>

>>I only know them by their German name 'Bratwurst' I don't know what you
>>call them

> Thanks Ophelia! I don't know why we cannot called it what it is? Pork
> Sausage. I have passed up good sausages in the market because they
> have all sorts of wierd names, but; the government makes them list the
> ingredients in order of highest percentage. If it starts with "pork",
> I know it's good.

If you are happy ... that is all that matters)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

>> > It's a bad habit that came to us via the USA, we even call them US
>> > portions. I don't like huge portions and if I know a place is doing
>> > that then I simply order an appetizer and skip the main.

>> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US.
>> What
>> is the reason for it?

> Food is really cheap is a main reason. Also, USAins have always been "big
> eaters". This has roots in the colonial era. Europeans arriving here
> were staggered by the sheer abundance of food. Even poor people in the
> colonies ate relatively well compared to anywhere else. It was really the
> first time in history that a culture/civilization did not operate at a
> "starvation level" for ordinary people, there was an abundance of food and
> so folks did not have to ordinarily stress about where their next bit was
> coming from - or if they would even have a bite!

I understand! I suppose it is what they are used to now so I expect they
would feel cheated if they were offered normal portions.

Thanks, Greg!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-great...andwich-247495

>> > 'Fraid not, we in the south call a sandwich a sarnie as in bacon
>> > sarnie.

>> Ahh we use that too Yorkies are cosmopolitan you know ... ;-)

> Quite so!

;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10:31:17 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

>> > To make people feel like they're getting a lot for their money. The
>> > cost of the raw materials is relatively small compared to other costs
>> > (personnel, etc.), so it's a way of getting people to pay enough to
>> > cover all of those costs while not spending very much to do so.

>> I see.
>>

>> > A lot of people are pleased when they can take home half (or more)
>> > of their restaurant meal to eat the next day. Quite a few people
>> > don't mind gorging; either they habitually do so or are willing
>> > to make up for the calories in some other way (smaller lunch if
>> > they're going out to dinner, extra time at the gym, etc.)

>> Well ... none of those reasons ring any bells for me. I don't want to
>> take
>> food home ... I rarely eat out anyway because I love to cook ...
>> gorging??
>> Ugh.
>>
>> Thanks though. I 'think' I can see why they do it but ... not for me.

> I often have to game the system when I dine out. Frankly, one reason I
> prefer lunch out to dinner out is that the portions are typically
> smaller.
>
> I like eating out. I can try things that are a little odd, or
> that require a lot of different ingredients, that my husband
> doesn't like, or that are part of some ethnic cuisine whose
> nuances are poorly captured by a recipe from the Internet.
> Plus, I don't have to wash the dishes. Someone brings me
> food, all the ice water I can drink, and clears it all away
> when I'm done. I wouldn't want to exclusively eat in
> restaurants--I like to cook. But sometimes I just want the food
> to come to me.

<g> you sound a bit like me)

> It'd be a funny old world if we were all alike, wouldn't it?

Indeed it would and as I am fond of saying ... if we all liked the same
thing, there wouldn't be enough to go around)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 09:46:19 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>A weird name would make me more interested in checking it out. Why
>be xenophobic about sausage (or anything, for that matter)?

I thought "Brawnswieger" was pretty weird sounding but after I put a
slice on a sandwich I thought it was very tasty. I guess these are
German names for food.

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 13:18:13 -0300, wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 09:03:05 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

>>>Exactly so, Ms. O...
>>>
>>>I first visited the UK back in the mid - 70's, and I also visited East
>>>and West Germany and Czechoslovakia. I remember arriving in the UK after
>>>being in shiny and prosperous West Germany, and I was thinking, "Poor
>>>UK...it looks almost as shabby as communist East Germany or
>>>Czechoslovakia..." One Brit told me, "from the look of things, you'd
>>>think that we had lost the war, and Germany had won!"
>>>
>>>There was good reason the UK was called "the poor man of Europe"...

>>Well that was mainly because after the war the UK had to pay for it,
>>even up until just a few years ago, all the lease-lend ships etc from
>>the USA.
>>
>>OTOH after the war you had the USA pumping the dollars into Germany to
>>get it back on it's feet quickly because of the fear of the Commies in
>>Germany. Start with the food airlifts and track from there!
>>
>>What the UK has, the UK worked for and paid for, Germany cannot say
>>the same thing.

> My bullshit radar is working overtime.

What she says is correct!! It is only relatively recently that we have
finished paying for lease lend

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 19:35:00 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> My bullshit radar is working overtime.

>>What she says is correct!! It is only relatively recently that we have
>>finished paying for lease lend

> Not bullshit about the UK, but about Germany. Germany's been pulling
> former East-Germany out of the communist Middle Ages. And at the same
> time it's keeping the EU afloat, in spite of the garlic countries
> trying to sink it with their financial mismanagement.

Ok but remember, Germany was in a real mess after the war and they had a lot
of help, far more than we had, so yes, they were in better condition to do
all those other things.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 11:39:21 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I like eating out. I can try things that are a little odd, or
> that require a lot of different ingredients, that my husband
> doesn't like, or that are part of some ethnic cuisine whose
> nuances are poorly captured by a recipe from the Internet.
> Plus, I don't have to wash the dishes. Someone brings me
> food, all the ice water I can drink, and clears it all away
> when I'm done. I wouldn't want to exclusively eat in
> restaurants--I like to cook. But sometimes I just want the food
> to come to me.
>
> It'd be a funny old world if we were all alike, wouldn't it?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Here, here!

I eat out at least once a week and that's after shopping
and any errands I have to do. I prefer to shop alone so
eating by myself doesn't bother me in the least. It's
nice after running around all day that someone else is
doing the cooking, serving, and cleaning up.

99% of the time I don't order a dessert or 'dessert'
will be fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13 2:29 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> OTOH after the war you had the USA pumping the dollars into Germany to
>> get it back on it's feet quickly because of the fear of the Commies in
>> Germany. Start with the food airlifts and track from there!
>>
>> What the UK has, the UK worked for and paid for, Germany cannot say
>> the same thing.

> My bullshit radar is working overtime.

You bullshit detector is malfunctioning. The Marshall Plan pumped $13
Billion into rebuilding Europe and the European economy. IN 1946 the US
loaned Britain $3.75 billion, which was finally paid off in 2006.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:01:05 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Not bullshit about the UK, but about Germany. Germany's been pulling
>>> former East-Germany out of the communist Middle Ages. And at the same
>>> time it's keeping the EU afloat, in spite of the garlic countries
>>> trying to sink it with their financial mismanagement.

>>Ok but remember, Germany was in a real mess after the war and they had a
>>lot
>>of help, far more than we had, so yes, they were in better condition to do
>>all those other things.

> I know that there was the Wirtschaftswunder:
>
> "The era of economic growth raised West Germany and Austria from total
> wartime devastation to developed nations in modern Europe. At the
> founding of the European Common Market in 1957 West Germany's economic
> growth stood in contrast to the struggling conditions at the time in
> the United Kingdom." (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder)

I know all that, but they didn't rise from the ashes with a pot of gold
under their
arm to enable them to do it alone.

Now, I am not here to discuss politics soooo ... Did you do any cooking
today?)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:20:16 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I know that there was the Wirtschaftswunder:
>>>
>>> "The era of economic growth raised West Germany and Austria from total
>>> wartime devastation to developed nations in modern Europe. At the
>>> founding of the European Common Market in 1957 West Germany's economic
>>> growth stood in contrast to the struggling conditions at the time in
>>> the United Kingdom." (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder)

>>I know all that, but they didn't rise from the ashes with a pot of gold
>>under their arm to enable them to do it alone.

> I'm only saying that the Germans' work ethic and efficiency got them
> out of the terrible mess they created. More so than any help they got,
> says also Wikipedia. I don't mean to say anything negative about the
> UK or any other country.
>
>>Now, I am not here to discuss politics soooo ... Did you do any cooking
>>today?)

> I'm into making dips at the moment. My first attempt was
> walnut/chillie pepper and that was very nice. Do you have a tip about
> what I could add to a beetroot dip? Yoghurt?

That sounds good! Dips are not really something I make so I will be
interested in your experiments.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13 3:56 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 15:43:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> My bullshit radar is working overtime.
>>>

>> You bullshit detector is malfunctioning. The Marshall Plan pumped $13
>> Billion into rebuilding Europe and the European economy. IN 1946 the US
>> loaned Britain $3.75 billion, which was finally paid off in 2006.

> Your complaint is that Britain had to pay it back and Europe (as if
> Britain isn't part of Europe) didn't? That would be unfair, indeed.

That was not my complaint. That was fact. Britain incurred a lot of debt
in order to fight Nazi German and Imperial Japan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Britain incurred a lot of debt in order to fight Nazi German and
> Imperial Japan.

Very true. In fact, by time the US entered the war, our war-time
industry was already well on its way to becoming the industrial giant
it would finally evolve into, thanks to Lend-Lease. Those cargo ships
and destroyer escorts didn't pop outta thin air.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:01:05 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>"Bruce" > wrote in message
> . ..

> m...

> >>Ok but remember, Germany was in a real mess after the war and they had a
> >>lot
> >>of help, far more than we had, so yes, they were in better condition to do
> >>all those other things.

> > I know that there was the Wirtschaftswunder:
> >
> > "The era of economic growth raised West Germany and Austria from total
> > wartime devastation to developed nations in modern Europe. At the
> > founding of the European Common Market in 1957 West Germany's economic
> > growth stood in contrast to the struggling conditions at the time in
> > the United Kingdom." (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder)

> I know all that, but they didn't rise from the ashes with a pot of gold
> under their
> arm to enable them to do it alone.

The victorious UK *really* sacrificed in order to keep defeated Germany fed in the immediate post - war years, in fact huge amounts of food were diverted from UK domestic use in order to keep Germans from starving. As a result rationing in the UK was just as severe - or even more so - *after* war's end, and did not fully end until 1955. By 1952 Germany was doing so well that rationing was abolished. UK forces, along with their civilian dependents, stationed in Germany actually then ate worse than the German civilians they were there to oversee, which led to some "unkind" comparisons!

Also, the US ended Lend - Lease to UK the second the war ended. UK - bound US ships with goods for Britain were ordered to turn round mid - course and return home. This I always thought was highly unfair...

Much UK industrial production in the post-war years was geared for export, in order to obtain precious "hard currency", e.g. US dollars to shore up the precarious financial situation. Several times, the UK came perilously close to simply running out of money, the coffers were indeed that bare. This all was exacerbated by the terrible winters of the late 1940's, the UK and all of Europe were frozen, no coal, no transportation, no electricity, no industry...these were dire times.

Maybe I've mentioned this, but there is a splendid book, "The Taste of War", which details "food as weapon" during WWII. Did you know that the "dearest" items on ration in the UK during the war were onions? Onions were primarily supplied by the Channel Isles, which were German - occupied, so virtually no onions were on offer!

--
Best
Greg

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 09:11:10 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

>On Thursday, 13 August 2015 02:29:57 UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > I find that a bit unfair, not that I particularly cared for her, she
>> > went places but was not one for making sure other women got a good
>> > chance too.

>> She sorted out the unions which were wrecking this country.

>She also helped to break the Cold War. When she first met Mikhail Gouache, she immediately liked him, mentioning "He had trustful eyes" (or some such). She proclaimed "Mr. Gorbachev is a man with whom we can do business", and she stressed this to her friend Ronald Reagan. So Gorby and Reagan became friendly, and thus the Cold War unraveled...beautiful, isn't it?
>
>Say what you think about Thatcher or Reagan, but they both happened along at just the perfect time, especially as concerns the Cold War.

Unbelievable how wild some people's perceptions can be.
If you were an adult at the time, how can you possibly deny it was
Gorbachev all the way who thawed relations? Thatcher and Reagan did
jack-shit other than spouting a lot of empty rhetoric.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 6:47:27 PM UTC-5, Gregory Morrow wrote:

Did you know that the "dearest" items on ration in the UK during the war were onions? Onions were primarily supplied by the Channel Isles, which were German - occupied, so virtually no onions were on offer!

> Best
> Greg

There is a show on PBS entitled "Foyles War" and it takes place
during and after WWII. I recorded an earlier epsiode (2003)
yesterday afternoon on another channel. Foyles driver is a young
lady and as they came back to the police station the desk sargent
wanted to know if Mr. Foyle wanted to go in a raffle. The prize
was an enormous yellow onion. His driver stated she hadn't seen
an onion since Christmas. It cost her a penny to smell it but
she ended up winning the raffle and was happy as a lark with her
prize.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 22:38:52 -0400, Dave Smith

wrote:

>>> I like gravy on chips, especially beef gravy. Quebec has become
>>> somewhat famous for poutine, chips with gravy and cheese curds.

>> I'd really like to try Poutine some day.
>>

>You can make it yourself. All you need is some hot French fries, warmed
>up gravy, preferably chicken, and some fresh cheese curds.

The one thing I don't do here is deep frying - just too messy and a
PITA in general. But I *could* get some already made French fries and
try it... I'd have to bring the warmed gravy with me, because by the
time I got home the fries would be stone cold. As to the cheese
curds... that would be quite difficult to find without going for a
long drive (OMG, I'm starting to sound like Julie .

>They cheese curds may be hard to find.

I can get some, but it's a lot of time and effort.
Then there's the big question as to whether the cheese curds I can get
would be like what they use in poutine? Maybe they are, maybe they
ain't... regardless, I'm sure I will have Poutine one day!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>> . ..

>> m...

>> > I know that there was the Wirtschaftswunder:
>> >
>> > "The era of economic growth raised West Germany and Austria from total
>> > wartime devastation to developed nations in modern Europe. At the
>> > founding of the European Common Market in 1957 West Germany's economic
>> > growth stood in contrast to the struggling conditions at the time in
>> > the United Kingdom." (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder)

>> I know all that, but they didn't rise from the ashes with a pot of gold
>> under their
>> arm to enable them to do it alone.

> The victorious UK *really* sacrificed in order to keep defeated Germany
> fed in the immediate post - war years, in fact huge amounts of food were
> diverted from UK domestic use in order to keep Germans from starving. As
> a result rationing in the UK was just as severe - or even more so -
> *after* war's end, and did not fully end until 1955. By 1952 Germany was
> doing so well that rationing was abolished. UK forces, along with their
> civilian dependents, stationed in Germany actually then ate worse than the
> German civilians they were there to oversee, which led to some "unkind"
> comparisons!
>
> Also, the US ended Lend - Lease to UK the second the war ended. UK -
> bound US ships with goods for Britain were ordered to turn round mid -
> course and return home. This I always thought was highly unfair...
>
> Much UK industrial production in the post-war years was geared for export,
> in order to obtain precious "hard currency", e.g. US dollars to shore up
> the precarious financial situation. Several times, the UK came perilously
> close to simply running out of money, the coffers were indeed that bare.
> This all was exacerbated by the terrible winters of the late 1940's, the
> UK and all of Europe were frozen, no coal, no transportation, no
> electricity, no industry...these were dire times.
>
> Maybe I've mentioned this, but there is a splendid book, "The Taste of
> War", which details "food as weapon" during WWII. Did you know that the
> "dearest" items on ration in the UK during the war were onions? Onions
> were primarily supplied by the Channel Isles, which were German -
> occupied, so virtually no onions were on offer!

I intended to say no more, but your post was so well informed I just wanted
to say thank you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

>>Now, I am not here to discuss politics soooo ... Did you do any cooking
>>today?)

> No, I didn't, I drove with my daughter, granddaughter and SIL for
> three hours to watch my great granddaughter pass out from her sea
> cadet unit. It was outside and the bugs were biting and then after
> sunset we drove all the way home again. Long day and I realised when
> I got in I had brekkie, salad, and that was all for the day. Oh well,
> won't hurt. One thing I did like and approve of was the way in which
> the veterans were included in the ceremonies, something very touching
> to see them with walking sticks in hand inspecting the cadets.
> Generations apart.

Sounds absolutely wonderful. You will have been so proud)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US.
> What is the reason for it?

"Everywhere there's lots of piggies
Living piggy lives
You can see them out for dinner
With their piggy wives"

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US.
>> What is the reason for it?

> "Everywhere there's lots of piggies
> Living piggy lives
> You can see them out for dinner
> With their piggy wives"
>
> ;-)

<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, 13 August 2015 12:54:42 UTC+1, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-great...andwich-247495

> >> a "Butty" is a sandwich made with thick cut bread slices or Bread bun.
> >>
> >> It's a Northern expression, in the South it would be more likely called
> >> a "Bacon Roll".

> > 'Fraid not, we in the south call a sandwich a sarnie as in bacon sarnie.

> Ahh we use that too Yorkies are cosmopolitan you know ... ;-)

---
I blame the television myself. Oh, and all bread must be well buttered, it's the law! I tell it to my diabetic nurse but she won't have it :-)

Cherry

Lunch today cshenk General Cooking 2 12-06-2016 11:39 PM
lunch today [email protected] General Cooking 5 08-04-2016 09:20 PM
Lunch today Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 5 11-04-2010 08:26 AM
Lunch today George Leppla General Cooking 31 27-08-2009 05:21 AM
Hey jam lady (sometimes incorrectly called pickle lady) Chuck (in SC)[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-06-2007 04:55 PM